Chapter 1: Rocks Shouldn't Glow

Drag'on Together (Love Is Its Own Magic)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

(TWENTY YEARS LATER)

“I swear to God, Taehyung if you stop to pick up one more rock because you think it might be some sort of rare stone, I’m leaving you here,” Jimin huffs as he tries to sound intimidating.

“Jiminnie, we both know you wouldn’t survive a minute without me, so stop with the empty threats, okay?” Taehyung replies, happily ignoring his dark-haired friend. 

Jimin would argue, he would, if it wasn’t for the fact that Taehyung was right. 

“The walk home is ten miles Tae, ten miles on horseback. We’re walking, so that's-” Jimin looks at his fingers in utter confusion. Mental math is not his strong suit. “a lot of walking. A. Lot.”

“I know,” Taehyung pouts slightly, and Jimin scolds himself immediately because he knows, knows he’s about to give in. “I just was hoping fortune would smile on us too, you know? Like Sungjong. That rock changed his life.” 

Jimin sighs. Several months ago their friend Sungjong happened upon what he thought was just an unusual looking stone, only to find out it was a rare metal, which he promptly sold, making enough money to move he and his family into the city where he was able to open a bread shop. Ever since Sungjong’s departure Taehyung has been on the hunt, hoping for the same luck to befall them. 

“Taehyung, our life’s not that bad is it?” 

“No, no,” the younger man answers quickly. “It’s just, I want to, to—contribute. To do something more than be a burden on your family.” Taehyung blows at the strands of hair that lie across his eye as he speaks. 

“Taehyung, you’re not a burden. My parents love you as though you were their own. And…I can’t function without you. You make every day so much brighter, so please stop saying things like this. It hurts my feelings when you do.” Jimin wishes every day he could make Taehyung see how special he is. 

There is a light about the younger man, a literal light that shines from Taehyung’s being. Jimin saw it the day his family found the toddler wandering the roads alone with no adult in sight. The boy was dirty, hair unkempt and tangled, with bruises on his arms and legs from travel. Despite his shabby, drab appearance Taehyung glowed brightly even then. 

Jimin doesn’t know where the light comes from or what it means, and as far as he knows he’s the only one that can see it. But then again there are many things that only he sees, most he wishes he were blind to, but not Taehyung’s light. The glow is warm and inviting like a favorite tunic or bread fresh out of the coal pit. 

The light radiates different colors based on Taehyung’s changing moods, and Jimin has been carefully studying the boy to find out what the colors mean. He’s really only confident about one color scheme, the gold hue that is surrounded by a ring of pure white light. He believes it to be Taehyung’s natural radiance, the boy’s true aura. It’s what engulfs the boy right now; it’s beautiful and distracting and so very Taehyung.

“Please don’t be upset with me Jimin,” Taehyung’s voice brings him from his thoughts. “My words were careless. You and your family are amazing, and I feel loved each and every day. I’m grateful that you found me. It’s just that, tha…there’s something missing, like there’s something I’m meant to do.” The boy runs his hand through his hair, frustration coloring his orbs, and Jimin watches in silence as Taehyung’s essence turns dark purple. It’s the color that often shows up when Taehyung is feeling discouraged, and it’s the color that Jimin hates the most. “Ahhgghhh, what am even saying? You’re right Jiminnie, let’s just go,” 

“I’ll give you till the sun reaches the peak of that tree over there,” Jimin begins, “you have that much time to search the woods to your heart’s content, and as an added bonus I promise not to say no to anything you find.” Taehyung’s smile takes the place of the sun, and Jimin is speechless.

Taehyung’s eyes are soft and his lips are parted as though about to speak, yet he keeps silent. Pink surrounds the boy, replacing the gold and white, and Jimin is still learning all of Taehyung’s shades. The understanding of this color eludes him, but he’s sure it has a special meaning because it only happens when he and Taehyung are alone. 

“Are you s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter