Chapter 13: A Dragon And His Family

Drag'on Together (Love Is Its Own Magic)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hoseok prides himself on his masks, his inability to be read like an open book. The disguise he wears has been his constant companion since the day he realized that there were lines in life that he was never allowed to cross. Then without warning a tall stranger with quizzical eyes and dimpled cheeks comes along and is able to see behind all his walls as though all his secrets are hidden behind a sheer curtain rather years of well-constructed brick on brick built by practiced self-control.“How long?” the man asks.

“How long what?” Hoseok returns the question in a dismissive manner, hoping the wizard will take the hint.

“How long have you loved him?” The question catches him off guard, and he turns to stare at the man in dumbfounded silence. “Don’t worry, it’s not noticeable at all. I just, it’s just that…well, I lived that look for a great portion of my life.”

Hoseok, on a good day, when he’s feeling confident and safe, can easily play off questions like this, but today he feels anything but secure. The wizard’s eyes hold no malice, no trickery.

“Why do you ask, wizard? Why does it matter how long?” The bitterness isn’t really directed at the questioner, but it’s the first time he’s ever been able to voice his feelings.

“It doesn’t, I suppose,” Namjoon replies. The lack of defensive tones has Hoseok immediately feeling guilty.

“Since I was a teenager,” Hoseok answers, “on the day he met his future bride and his engagement was announced.”

“For me it was a family friend.” It is all Namjoon gives him, but for reasons that Hoseok doesn’t understand it is enough for a mutual bond to form. “He’s very lucky to have you.”

Hoseok turns to answer, or maybe ask a question. He doesn’t get to figure which as Jin walks into the room.

“It’s him, Hoseok. It’s really him, and he called me Dad.” Jin looks as though he’s going to walk right into his arms, and Hoseok steps back, a silent command warning the man to be careful of his actions.

Hoseok’s eyes meet Namjoon’s from across the room, and the man gives an understanding nod before bowing to Jin and exiting the house.

“I’m very happy to hear that, Your Highness.” His voice is strained, and he doesn’t try to hide it.

He can see the questions on Jin’s face, but he also knows neither he nor the king will ever ask them. How’d you get over him? It’s the question he would have asked Namjoon had Jin not interrupted them. He bows to Jin and turns, walking toward the door that Namjoon had left through minutes ago.

“I’ll prepare the men for our departure,” he says as he strides past the stunned King.

“Hoseo-” the man starts.

“We should leave as soon as possible. The Queen is probably worried sick.” He opens the door, about to step outside. “Jin, I’m so very happy for you. Now your life can be everything it was meant to be.”

The words are a goodbye to their childhood, to the memories that have held them both prisoner for far too long. Realization registers on Jin’s face, and he knows that the man understands what’s happening. The King’s beautiful face scrunches in wordless pain, and sadness replaces the light that was in his eyes just moments ago, reminding Hoseok of day turning to night.

“Thank you, Captain Jung, for helping me find my son.” Jin using his title hurts, but he knows this is how it needs to be. He’s almost through the door when Jin continues,“Hoseok-ah for always being there, thank you.”

With that, the King walks past him exiting the room before he does. Hoseok’s hand falls from the door he’d been holding open, and he watches with sad eyes as it closes, on the room and on his past.

 

֎֎֎

Taehyung’s like an excited puppy who’s ingested a pound of sugar. The boy’s soul-light is a kaleidoscope of colors and Jimin’s having a hard time keeping track of the younger man’s ever changing emotional state.

“We’re going to the palace. I told you, didn’t I, that Blue was special?” The boy’s jumping and clapping and whooping as he talks, and Jimin’s laughter matches Taehyung’s excitement tit for tat.

The past few weeks have been a whirlwind of things that, even now, Jimin can’t process properly. They found a stone which was actually an egg that turned into a dragon, and the dragon’s a Prince that’s been cursed. Not even the most fantastical of fairytales can compete with this, their story.

“Yes, you did Tae,” he smiles, patting the man on the as he dances in front of him.

Taehyung drops to the ground beside him.

“Jimin,” Taehyung says his name, fixing himself so he can flop his head on Jimin’s thigh, “this wouldn’t have been nearly as wonderful if you weren’t here too. You’ll always be here, right?”

He’s not sure where the question comes from, but the changing color of Taehyung soul-light tells him that right now the man needs the reassurance, needs to hear him confirm by answering his question. Jimin silently thanks Namjoon for explaining what each color means.

“Yes, Tae. Always.” His heart’s pounding, and he swears the beats are audible.

“Good,” Taehyung says.

A bright orange covers the man from head to toe, and Jimin swallows hard around the lump of joy in his throat. Happiness is burning from Taehyung’s being, and Jimin can actually see it. He wants to cry, to hug the man, to get up and run around the field they’re in screaming and yelling because Taehyung’s burning with happiness this bright and this radiant because of him.

“Are you two ready for this?” A voice has both boys turning.

“Your Highness,” they say in unison as Taehyung jumps up from his lap, nearly tripping as he tries to bow.

“At ease boys,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter