Chapter 7

Beyond Facades

Wonho watched in pure satisfaction as his victims writhed in pain. Their mouths opened in an attempt to scream but all it took was a single movement of Wonho's hand to shut them up. He clicked his tongue in disapproval.

"Uh uh uh, people like you don't deserve to scream for help," he said, his ominous tone raising the hairs on Kihyun's neck as the fellow looked upon the scene with wide eyes. He could've fled the scene, seeing that whatever was hurting his attackers had no effect on him. Yet he stayed rooted at his spot - not wanting to gain too much of the mysterious man's attention. Kihyun eyed the man closely. Despite the partially lit alleyway, the man only appeared as a silhouette. Kihyun did see something though - the blue rings around the man's eyes. Their glow intensified the more the man harmed the attackers. Kihyun watched as Wonho shut his eyes, letting a few seconds go by. The next time he opened them, the blue rings were gone.

Simultaneously, the men faltered to the ground, unconscious. At that point, Kihyun knew he had nothing left to distract Wonho. All the attention was on him. Kihyun gulped as he saw the man turning towards his direction, taking a few steps towards him.

"Can you stand?" The silhouette asked, his tone gentler than the one he used on the attackers. Almost immediately, Kihyun nodded and proceeded to push himself up using the brick wall as his support. Wonho scanned the being from head to toe. Scruffs aside, Kihyun had a big bruise on his abdomen and shoulder area. He was struggling to keep upright despite trying to keep a strong front.

"Stay still," Wonho instructed, not receiving any form of objection from Kihyun as he tried to stay as still as possible. Wonho made another gesture and in his mind, he uttered a word - Transfer. Just like that, the bruises on Kihyun decreased in size before completely disappearing. Wonho turned his attention towards the attackers and the corner of his lips tug upwards for a split second. He averted his attention back to the dumbfounded Kihyun, amused by the fellow's exaggerated expressions. Certain that Kihyun was capable of making his way back home, Wonho dissipated into thin air, leaving the other in a pool of questions he was determined to get the answers to.


 

"Do Yeon, are you hearing this?" Ri Na asked, her voice getting overshadowed by the other voice she was referring to. Do Yeon knitted her brows. She hadn't been sure if she had heard it right but Ri Na popping the question only confirmed that she did. Not far from their lunch table, Kihyun could be heard talking about the encounter he had the night before - how he had been saved by a shadow-like man when he was being jumped. His words didn't catch much of Do Yeon's attention until he brought up the blue ring around the man's pupils. Do Yeon froze, her mind bringing her back to the incident where Wonho had shielded her from the soccer ball. The blue rings she saw flashed in her mind.

Could it be? But even if it is him...that's not normal. Do Yeon thought to herself, slowly becoming more certain of the fact that she could just be losing her mind and that the stress of school was finally getting to her. Yet the more she listened to Kihyun's rambling, the more she couldn't stop thinking about Wonho and all the incidents tied to him.

"Yah, did you hear what I asked you?" A nudge pulled Do Yeon out of her reverie as she averted her attention to her best friend with a questioning look. Ri Na heaved a sigh before waving it off, saying she already got her answer. Before Ri Na could continue the conversation, Do Yeon rose from the table and headed over to where Kihyun and his friends were seated. Part of her wasn't surprised to see Wonho's absence.

"Hey guys, has anyone seen Wonho? It's project related," she casually asked to which all of them shook their heads, seemingly as clueless as she was of his whereabouts.

"Alright then, it's fine." Do Yeon turned to head back to her table but before she did, she looked at Kihyun and asked, "By the way, that whole incident. Which alley did it happen at?"

Not realizing that his voice had been louder than he intended it to be, Kihyun blurted out the address to which Do Yeon replied with a curt 'Thank You'. Settling back down at her table, Ri Na asked what that was all about. Not knowing what exactly she should tell her, Do Yeon simply shrugged and said she had to check if it happened in her area.

"Speaking of which, I need to make a quick phone call, I'll be right back okay?" Do Yeon said as she rushed out of the cafeteria. Ri Na only managed a nod. She wouldn't have questioned her further anyway - the mafia was a very touchy subject for Do Yeon.

At a corner of a hallway where she was certain she was alone, Do Yeon pulled out her phone and dialed a number.

"Hey Yoon Seok? I need you to get me footage of an assault that happened yesterday. I'll text you the location."


 

Do Yeon took in a long, deep breath. She was at her headquarters, staring at the screen before her. Yoon Seok had managed to get the footage she had asked for - something she had no doubt about since Yoon Seok was highly skilled - and called her to drop by. Do Yeon knew by the phone call that he was stunned with what his eyes had seen and that only made her more curious. Immediately telling him to show her the footage, Do Yeon observed his findings. Everything was just as Kihyun had described and the moment she saw the blue rings, her mind flashed to Wonho's face once more. Do Yeon watched on, wondering how Kihyun had left the whole incident completely unscarred. Kihyun mentioned the man healing his wounds but Do Yeon had caught something else.

What was he looking at? Do Yeon thought, cocking her head.

"Pause there, zoom in on the attackers and play the footage slowly," she said, pointing at the screen and Yoon Seok did as told. In unison, a 'woah' escaped their lips. Yoon Seok sat back in his chair, his mouth wide open. His mind had yet to comprehend all that he was seeing.

"Noona, what's all of this? Whose that man? Why can't we see him clearly?" He asked, turning to look at Do Yeon only to see her in the same perplexed state. She shook her head.

"I don't know Yoon Seok, I don't know. But I'm going to find out."


 

A/N: HI GUYS.
Well there's Chapter 7. Aplogies for the late update, work life is being a draining wreck. :')