Chapter 3

Beyond Facades

Do Yeon had her hand buried in her locker as she rummaged through her books in search of her journal. Her brows knit as she wrecked her brain, wondering if she had taken it out a couple days back. Amidst all that frustration, a familiar scent hit her. The smell of mint alongside lavender stole her attention away from her locker, putting a stop to whatever she was doing. She took in another slow whiff and subconsciously closed her eyes, fully appreciating the unique scent. After what felt like a full minute, her eyes flew open. Only one person she knew had that scent.

Either he's next to me or I'm going crazy.

Giving up hope of finding her journal in her locker, she reached towards the door of the locker and shut it. A figure came into her sight. His caramel hair was pulled back, held by gel while his fringe neatly hung at the corner of his face. Her eyes moved towards his elongated nose before faltering onto his naturally pouty and seemingly soft lips. They were always tinted red, making her wonder if such thing was normal. He had on a thin black pullover that clung onto his body, revealing bumps that resembled muscles. He had his hands stuffed into the front pockets of his jeans and his back leaned against the metallic locker. His gaze was away from her but even then his eyes overwhelmed her. A small sigh escaped her lips. At least I know I'm not going crazy.

"Song Do Yeon." The hairs on her body rose upon hearing her name roll off his tongue, cutting her appreciation of his features short. Oh, the things he did to her. Slowly, he turned towards her. The corners of his lips curled up as his eyes pierced into hers. 

"Yes, Shin Wonho?" Hearing that, his brow perked up in surprise before his expression faded into slight amusement. Do Yeon tilted her head cockily, enjoying the fact that she had managed to catch him off guard even if it was for a single second. Wonho turned silent as he stared at the woman before him. Her sleek black hair fell nicely upon her shoulders. Her elongated nose - that was somewhat similar to his according to his observation - and full lips complimented her heart-shaped face. His eyes then fell on her dimples. Oh, how he loved her dimples. He reconnected his gaze with hers. There was always something about the intense look in her eyes that he found oh-so-very attractive. It was as though she was studying him, second-guessing him. It was as though she knew.

"So, your place or mine?" He asked as he pushed himself off of the locker and took a step towards her, removing his hands from his pockets. Just like that, Do Yeon was knocked off her high horse. Her eyes widened by a fraction before proceeding to blink profusely, her brain choosing to not comprehend his words. An 'excuse me' was all she could utter as her heart pounded against her chest. Do Yeon had never felt so attacked her whole life.

"Our mid-term project?" He replied with such an innocent look on his face, as though what he just said wasn't any sort of suggestive innuendo. "What did you think I was talking about?"

This sneaky little-

"Sorry, it just slipped my mind so I got a little confused. Anyway, we can start on it at my house and the next time round, we could go over to yours? Just alternate between the two. We can start today too if you want since I have nothing on after school."

"Yeah sure. We can head off together then since we'll be in the same class during our last period. See you later," he said before sending a wink her way and making his way down the hall. She watched as his figure disappeared into a corner, her hand slowly making its way up her body to clutch the spot above her rapidly beating heart. Her once calm and confident demeanor was then disoriented. His words circled her mind, not wanting to let her forget them.

What the actual flipping f-

 

The school bell bounced off the walls, eliciting relieved sighs from the worn out students. They were quick to leave, only giving their lecturers half the attention despite knowing that they might just miss out on something vital. As everyone else rushed to be the first out the classroom, Do Yeon took her time. She turned to the table behind her, ensuring that she told her best friend regarding her inability to walk home with the fellow. That being a first, Ri Na asked why only to have Do Yeon's response interrupted by another's presence.

"We're partners for our history's mid-term project and we're starting on it today. Sorry, I gotta steal her from you for a bit," Wonho replied on the behalf of Do Yeon, his grin causing his eyes to decrease in size. Such innocence could melt anyone's heart but Do Yeon was left narrowing her eyes at him, knowing the truth. Ri Na's silence that accompanied Wonho's reply caused Do Yeon to avert her attention. She watched as Ri Na's eyes darted from her to Wonho and back to her. She just knew what thoughts lurked in Ri Na's mind. Do Yeon hadn't informed her of the whole partner issue. It wasn't because she was intentionally trying to hide it away from her best friend. She just wanted to avoid a particular conversation Ri Na would start and not put an end to. After processing the newly attained information, Ri Na smiled but oh no, it wasn't her usual smile.

"Ah I see, it's okay. You can steal her all you want," Ri Na replied, her eyes on Wonho. Turning to Do Yeon, Ri Na said, "Call me tonight, will you?"

Do Yeon could already sense her impending death.

 

It seemed that Ri Na wouldn't be the first to cause her death for life had been a step ahead of her. Just as Do Yeon and Wonho were making their way down the path leading to the main gates of the school, a loud muffled shout that sounded a lot like a warning to look out came from the direction of the open field. Do Yeon was the first to react - or so she thought - and turned towards the field only to see a soccer ball piercing the air. Such a thing was normal, except the ball was heading right towards her face. Instinctively, her arm flew up to her face, offering it whatever protection it could provide. Do Yeon had no time to dart the ball. All she could do was to hope for the best. Through closed eyes, she felt the outside world dimming and for a moment she thought it was because the ball was nearing its destination. Instead, she felt a pair of hands on her shoulders.

"Your arm won't do much as your shield, silly."

Do Yeon's eyes flew open, taking in the face that was towering inches away from her. Her eyes met with his and she could afford to say absolutely nothing as though she was put under a spell. Then she heard a thud, but not before he sent a wink her way.


 


A/N: I see the subscribers count increasing. I also see an upvote. Gahhh, thank you for the support. I really do appreciate it :') Got a tad bit excited while writing this because of the upvote I received but yes, lemme know whatcha think of this chapter~ xx