Chapter 2

Beyond Facades

Do Yeon drummed her fingers against the table as she stared out the window, the tip of her thumbnail lightly grazing her lower lip. Her mind roamed further than one could travel, removing her attention from the reality world completely. The frown on her face remained unchanged for the next minute as she recalled the conversation she had with one of her friends over the phone.

"What do you mean you've got nothing on him?" Do Yeon asked, unable to register his words into her mind..

"I'm serious. He's clean - completely clean," the person on the other end of the line replied as the sound of clicking - probably from the computer mouse - echoed in the background.

Her brows drew closer towards each other, if such a thing was even possible. Then what was that whole thing I witnessed during gym class two days ago about?


 

Her eyes darted away from her notebook where she had been jotting down notes and landed on her lecturer's face. The grip on her pen loosened, letting it topple onto the wooden table. Do Yeon momentarily froze, unsure if she had heard the instructions right. As if her lecturer knew, she repeated what she had said regarding the mid-term project, assuring Do Yeon that she had, in fact, no hearing deficiency. A second went by. So did another. Do Yeon remained staring at nothing in particular, trying to process the situation until, at one point, she released a low scoff. She could not believe that life was making it that easy for her to talk to him.

Lady Luck must be on my side. She thought to herself. 

She turned to look at him only to have her gaze met with his simultaneously. The corners of his lips rose although they only formed a small smile. He nudged his glasses with his finger and for a second, she saw a glint in his eyes. Not a single word was exchanged during the eye contact the two of them shared, but stares could only go so far. Unexpectedly, he spoke.

"I guess we're partners now." 

Do Yeon took her time to respond as another long silence strolled past them. Once she did open to speak, she answered, "Yeah. I guess we are."

"You know, I didn't actually manage to get your name the other day," he pointed out, resting his chin on his knuckles. His tone was gentle yet Do Yeon could still sense poison on his tongue. Deep down, Do Yeon was glad an aisle - no matter how narrow it was - separated both their tables because the look in his eyes was beginning to unravel her composure.

"And what makes you think you'd manage to get it today?" she rebutted, raising her brow as a smirk made its way across her face, knocking her back into a collected state. 

"Well, judging by the fact that I'm going to be your partner for the next two months, I think I more than deserve to know your name." A chuckle left his lips as he tilted his head, settling on a mocking smile. It was as though he was challenging her to prolong the debate. 

"You don't like losing, do you?" Do Yeon asked.

"Never have, never will," Wonho replied with a subtle wink at the end of his sentence. Do Yeon's breath hitched although it didn't show. The man was filled with many surprises. To others, he came off as charming. He knew how to win every heart. He knew the right things to say and the right moves to make. Do Yeon didn't need to see him on a daily basis to know what most of the people in her batch thought of him - they liked him, a lot. Do Yeon's case was different. He affected her on a whole new level. He made her hair stand - literally - with the mere sight of him. He made her heart pound with a single word rolling from his tongue. Adrenaline pumped within her with every look he sent her way. He thrilled her, and she loved every bit of it. The fact that while others saw him under the light shone down from heaven, she saw him illuminated by the flames in the pits of hell was what got to her the most. She was drawn to him...in ways others weren't. While others would run at the sight of danger, Do Yeon would do anything in her willpower to dash right into it.

Who are you really, Wonho? Why am I the only one that sees it?

"It's Do Yeon. Song Do Yeon." 


 

"Hyung, don't even think about it. If you're having any thoughts of pursuing her, get rid of them," said one of the few friends Wonho had made and stuck with ever since his first day of school as the former slung his arm around Wonho's shoulder. Shifting his line of vision to face the guy, Wonho raised a brow, questioning what the fellow was on about. 

"Oh please, don't give me that look. I saw you staring at Do Yeon. Look, I know she's attractive on so many levels and trust me, nearly every guy - and even girl - in this school agrees on that but pursuing that girl is only going to put you in danger," the latter known as Jooheon informed him.

"And by 'danger' you mean...?"

"Okay you're new and all so you wouldn't know. Basically, she has a lot of connections and I would just like to take a moment to emphasize on the phrase 'a lot'. Her brother is a leader of some mafia organization and well, let's just say anything can happen with the flick of a switch," Jooheon explained, adding a sound effect after the last word of his sentence.

"With her identity out in the open like that, won't she have people coming after her or something?" Wonho asked, a tad skeptical of what he was hearing.

"Ah, you see, Do Yeon is a little special. She's friends with her supposed enemies too - well, most of them. We don't know how it happened but it did. Her brother's organization still has issues with them but she made them agree to be at peace in her presence. She also makes sure no one stirs up in her own territory - one of them being Jeguk High. It's like, every single person here is protected by her. That girl's a living guardian angel," Jooheon exclaimed with full-on expressions, causing Wonho to roll his eyes at the fellow's over-dramatization.

"Okay so pursuing her would only bring danger because...?"

"One wrong move and whop, there goes your shield," Jooheon responded, throwing his hands up in mid-air. Wonho's expression remained unfazed, finding the whole thing just a little amusing as he held back the urge to scoff. I don't need anyone's shield. I'm my own shield. 


 

A/N: Aye~ How ya'll doin? Sorry for the late update, my responsibilities have been a pain :") Anyway~ I hope you've enjoyed reading chapter 2 and oh my, thank you for subscribing :O I appreciate your comments too! xx