Chapter 5

Beyond Facades

"Are you sure he said that or did your hormonal self plant that in your mind?" Ri Na said with the raise of a brow as she took a bite of her bun. This earned her a light slap on the shoulder as Do Yeon shot a glare her way, clearly insulted.

"I'm a hormonal teenager but I still have the ability to differentiate real life from fantasy okay," Do Yeon retorted.

"Ah, so you admit that you do fantasize about him," Ri Na smirked.

"That's not the point! The point is that the image he's portraying in school is completely different from what he actually is," Do Yeon exclaimed in a hushed tone, waving her hands in the air in an attempt to emphasize her statement. Ri Na's eyes turned into slits as she squinted at her best friend, unsure if she was going crazy or just lacking sleep because the chances of Wonho being the way Do Yeon described him to be was beyond possible in her eyes. Ri Na shook her head, dismissing her claims. Do Yeon let out an exasperated sigh and was about to bring up the incident during gym class when she heard a desperate call of her name from the other end of the mildly packed hallway. Her attention averted towards the screeching person, whom she identified as Changkyun, a junior one grade below her. He dashed towards her, pushing through people that blocked his way. Despite being a panting mess, he managed to briefly explain the situation to her.

"Jooheon hyung - in trouble - outside - big group - help."

Do Yeon turned to look at Ri Na who then nodded and told her to do what she needed to do. Asking Changkyun to lead the way, the two hurried off, earning stares from other students who were starting to get a hold of the situation. Slowly, curious eyes followed them but made sure to keep their distance. On her way, Do Yeon crossed paths with Wonho. Before he could acknowledge her, she had already brushed past him, not sparing him a single glance. Surprised, Wonho let his gaze linger on her. He nudged the guy next to him lightly, asking the fellow what was happening.

"Some gang is stirring up trouble with this guy named Jooheon," the person summarized. Hearing the mention of his friend's name, Wonho perked up.

"Whoever those people are, they've just dug their own graves," some other student muttered. Completely new to the situation and that side of Do Yeon, Wonho went to get a closer look at her, making sure he was hidden from view. He watched as Do Yeon strode towards the group, not a single ounce of fear evident on her. Changkyun stayed behind, keeping close to his friends. Jooheon was in the hands of the supposed leader of the group - his hand clutched onto the student's collar, lifting his trembling body slightly off the ground.

"Yah!" Just like that, all eyes were on her. The students of Jeguk High flinched at her tone - one that was familiar yet rarely heard of.

"Let him go," she commanded.

"Excuse me?" The leader responded.

"Don't make me repeat myself," she threatened, taking a step towards them. The leader scoffed, turning to face her, his grip still on Jooheon.

"Miss, I don't think you would want to be involved with-"

"Are you guys new?" Do Yeon cut him mid-sentence. "I've never seen your faces before."

She scanned them up and down, one by one. It was then a particular tattoo caught her eye. The corner of her lips tugged up slightly as she let out a scoff.

"Yah, did Ra Won forget to mention me to you guys or is he purposely trying to kill you?" With the mention of their leader's names, the group froze. The grip on Jooheon loosened, allowing him to break away. It was evident on their faces as the group wrecked their brains in an attempt to figure out who Do Yeon was and how she knew of Ra Won. Just then, the eyes of one of them widened upon seeing the crest on Do Yeon's school blazer.

"Hyung, this is Jeguk High," the fellow stuttered, nudging his leader. "She's Do Yeon."

"Ah, so he did tell you," Do Yeon smiled. "I'm surprised you could forget something like that. See I know you have your own stuff to do and instructions to follow - I won't stop you. But this right here is my territory and I don't tolerate this kind of here. Speaking of which, what's your business with this guy? I don't think Ra Won is dumb enough to send you here."

"He didn't," one of them answered. "This guy owes me a hundred."

Do Yeon looked at the gang, deadpanned, questioning how on earth they got taken in by Ra Won. For someone whose been trying to keep his rank, he sure makes a lot of unwise decisions.

Do Yeon whipped out a hundred from her wallet, handing it to the guy before saying, "You're lucky you're rookies or this would've reached Ra Won's ears and you'd be skinned alive. Totally not worth this hundred if you're asking me. Now get lost before I change my mind."

Not needing to be told twice, the group scurried away. Do Yeon's attention then moved towards Jooheon who was avoiding making any eye contact with her as he hung his head low in shame.

"Yah, do you have a death wish?" Jooheon shook his head, biting on his lower lip before muttering an apology as well as a thanks.

"I can't always protect you, you know. If you're within the school compound or my other areas then sure but apart from that, you're on your own," she reminded him only to receive a nod. Patting him on the back, he assured him. "You need money, you come to me. Got it?"

Another nod followed before he told him as well as the spectators to head on to class. Just like that, everyone bustled to their respective classes. She already knew the hot topic of everyone's conversation for the day. Right as she made her way to class, she heard Changkyun calling her name once more. Turning to him, she raised her brow inquisitively. In response, he bowed and thanked her for saving his friend before apologizing on the fellow's behalf for troubling her.

"It's fine, and here-" She paused as she pulled out a few notes from her wallet, "Hand this to him. It should be enough to last him some time. Tell him to use some for his tuition fees. He doesn't have anymore excuses to not continue with it."

Changkyun nodded and watched in awe as her figure disappeared down the hall. Indeed, she's Jeguk High's guardian angel.


 

"So, do I get to ask questions about the incident this morning?" Wonho asked as the two strolled to his house. He was met with a short silence before being asked what he wanted to know.

"How do you know them?"

"I don't," she replied. "I know their leader. We go way back. He was friends with my brother and eventually grew close to me too."

"Would you have beaten them up?" He asked, glancing her way.

"If they weren't rookies, sure. If they had tried my patience, sure. But I prefer to talk it out. In many situations, words could do more damage than actions so why get my hands dirty unnecessarily?" Upon hearing that, Wonho stopped in his tracks, her words replaying in his mind. She followed suit and stopped, asking him what was wrong. Seconds after, he shook his head and recollected himself.

"It's nothing. Just that someone I knew used to always say that to me."


 

A/N: Hi guys, I'm sincerely sorry for the longggg wait. But I'm back now and wow I miss writing :')