Prologue

Beyond Facades

Do Yeon let her eyes cascade up and down his whole being, taking in the sight before her. Her expression didn't waver but the look in her eyes did as she tilted her head ever so slightly. She liked what she was seeing. Her gaze made its way towards his face and almost immediately, their lines of vision collided. Neither of the two reacted as they dove into a heated staring competition. She wasn't willing to back down yet but a slap on the shoulder made her lose by default. Her head turned to the table behind her as she glared at Kim Ri Na, also known as her best friend.

"Give the new kid a break, geez," Ri Na hissed, rolling her eyes. Though Ri Na couldn't see what exactly Do Yeon was doing, she knew how the latter was and the direction of Wonho's eyes only confirmed it.

"To be fair, he did challenge me regardless of whether he intended to or not," Do Yeon said in her defense, earning an exasperated sigh from the other. Do Yeon's attention fell upon the guy once more upon hearing her lecturer telling him to introduce himself. 

"I'm Shin Wonho, please take care of me," the fellow said before bowing and letting his smile render the class speechless. His incredulous charm was enough to make one swoon, yet Do Yeon couldn't help but notice something off about him. She watched, a little too closely, as he stayed in place and scanned the room for his preferred choice of seating. Once again, his eyes met hers before darting towards the vacant seat next to her and then back at her. She leaned back in her seat, the corner of her lips inching upwards to form a smirk. In a subtle manner, she nodded towards the table next to her, almost daring him to sit there. A long second passed before he informed the lecturer of his choice. Do Yeon noticed the change in her lecturer's expression as she opened to probably suggest another seating location.

"It's fine, Ms Lee, he can sit here," Do Yeon voiced out, cutting her off. "I needed a new friend anyway."

"Uhm hello? I still exist, you know?" Ri Na snapped in a hushed tone. Hearing this, Do Yeon turned to her and sent a wink her way before saying, "Yes, and I thank the heavens every day."

Do Yeon faced the front - though not before being hit by Ri Na for the second time that day - and watched as he walked down the row. He had a glow on his face, yet his aura said otherwise. Her gaze grew more intense as she studied him even further. He carried himself well and she could sense an overwhelming amount of confidence in him. He stood out without even trying, garnering everyone's attention. All eyes were on him but his eyes were on her. The two fell into yet another staring competition as he drew nearer to his destination. He wasn't one to accept a victory by default.

Once he had arrived at the seat, he sat down and let himself get comfortable. By then, the rest of the class was already back to focusing on the lesson although a few pairs of eyes did continue to discreetly glance at him - especially Do Yeon's, although she wasn't making that big of an attempt to keep it lowkey. He knew of her lingering gaze, of course, but made no move to call her out on it. The class went by and as much as she enjoyed staring at him, Do Yeon did actually care about her grades so eventually, her attention was won over by the lesson. Noticing the sudden lack of her darting looks, it was then Wonho's turn to glance at her and unlike her, he was exceptionally inconspicuous. Her piercing gaze from earlier on was etched onto his mind. Wonho chewed on his lip, wondering what thoughts ran through her head upon their eyes meeting. He couldn't deny it - her boldness was interesting and indeed, very alluring. She was different. Wonho liked different.


 

A/N: Well hello, so that was the prologue. What are your thoughts about this story so far? Let me know in the comments below. Wow, I sound like a YouTuber...anyway, I hope to receive your support. This newbie would very much appreciate that. xx