EH: River

The City of Gods (sequel to The Treasure Island)

 

 

9. EH River

 

Alright, I admit I did want another member in our group but taking in a complete stranger wasn´t a good idea. The last time, when we took Sungmin with us, it was on Leeteuk´s references. This oriental man, though, was suspicious.

“Hyukkie? Do you think Zhoumi is also looking for the city of gods?” Donghae was sitting on his bed and looking at me with those dark curious eyes.

“I´m not sure,” I admitted. He introduced himself vaguely and I didn´t know how much Kyuhyun shared with him. Honestly, I didn´t think it was needed to be concerned about Kyuhyun´s mouth. He wouldn´t say too much, at least not on purpose.

“Do you not like him?” Donghae hit the bull´s eye. I pretended to be busy cleaning my shoes. “You said it would be safer to have one more man, didn´t you?” I sighed.

“Yes, I did,” I put down the shoes that couldn´t be saved anymore and sat down on my bed opposite to Donghae. “It´s just that he´s a foreigner and we don´t know much about him. It´s not that I don´t like him, tall people are cute.”

“Cute? You think Zhoumi is cute?” Donghae´s eyes widened unnaturally and his mouth opened. I didn´t mean anything by my words but his reaction made me feel embarrassed. “And now you are blushing!” He pointed at me.

“I´m not!” I protested, hiding my face in my black bangs.

“You are, even your ears are red! Is that what you like? Tall people?” He asked me sincerely, looking at my ears. Of course I´m blushing but it´s because Donghae is poking into my words and watching me intently.

“That´s not what I meant, it´s kind of funny when people with long arms and legs move,” I scratched my neck nervously. “And I´m not blushing.”

“You are, look at me,” Donghae stood up and jumped to me. “Show me your face,” he ordered, taking my face between his palms. I was startled and our eyes met for a split second. Donghae seemed irritated but all I could feel was his closeness and the smell of the black tea he drank for dinner. I felt my face heat up even more.

“I caught you, your cheeks are all hot!” The traveller insisted on causing me a heart collapse.

I couldn´t take it anymore and transformed quickly into a mouse. Donghae was surprised and I used the chance to slip away from his palms, jumping on the floor of the cabin. But I couldn´t stop as two hands were already about to pick me up again, I rounded the tiny cabin at least three times before squeezing myself beneath the cheap door and running on the hallway. I heard the door behind me bang and then loud stomping. Donghae was chasing me as I navigated myself with panic around shocked ladies’ ankles and furious crew members.

“Hyuk, stop!” Donghae called but I couldn´t let him catch me. My heart wouldn´t withstand another round of cheeks squishing.

“Ha!” All of a sudden darkness. Damn it!

I didn´t know what happened, I was captured under something that smelled like leather. I guessed I was under a hat? Who caught me? If it was a crew member, then I´m screwed. I will have to transform or else he would eradicate me. But then a hand was pushed under the hat and by the smell I could tell it was Donghae. Get on the palm or not? I was hesitating. Heart attack is probably better than being killed like a mouse. Err, literally. I climbed on Hae´s palm and he pulled me up.

“That was dangerous, I was worried, you know,” he mumbled.

From up there, I could see clearly the whole situation. The leather hat found its rightful owner as it landed on Zhoumi´s head. The tall oriental man was smiling widely at Donghae and my small body was shaking from the enormous strain it had to get through. Damn again.

“Is that your pet?” Zhoumi asked. “You should be careful, somebody could think it´s a mouse that ran out from the underdeck.”

“Thank you, I was scared Eunhyuk would get hurt,” Donghae pouted and with his strong arms put the tiny me on the floor. It was a signal for me to return to my human form.

“Sorry,” I croaked, my voice deepening from the mouse´s thin one, “I didn´t want to scare you.”

“Oh!” Zhoumi was blinking, perhaps to make sure he saw right. “It´s your guide? I thought he could turn into a llama.” That must be Kyuhyun´s work, I tsk´ed.

“I can take more than just one form,” I answered shortly but politely.

“That´s amazing! I´ve never met anyone like you,” Zhoumi exclaimed, “what a great guide you have.” He told Donghae. I didn´t want to feel embarrassed again, even if it were compliments this time, and excused myself. Donghae gave me a meaningful stare, yet I didn´t understand its meaning. Whatever.

I decided to find myself a quiet place somewhere near the chimney of the steamboat and get some rest. I felt nervous and a little amused by the whole mouse accident. I was aware of my attachment to Donghae, he was the most important human for me at the moment, but whenever I got reminded of my feelings, I would become shy. The great wolf isn´t supposed to be sensitive, after all. I sighed and stretched my legs over the wooden floor.

Donghae likes Zhoumi, the guy is nice toward him too. Maybe it doesn´t seem like a bad idea at all to take him into our group. I need to watch him some more to be sure he´s safe but for now there aren´t any signs he´s dangerous. But simply, if Donghae wants, then I need to agree. I snorted at myself, I´m so whipped.

“Do you want to join us on the way into the jungle?” I asked during the dinner. Donghae was sitting next to me and stopped eating.

“I would love to, travelling alone is not easy,” Zhoumi grinned at me with that bright smile of his. “And especially, joining your group is an honour for me.”

“Good,” Kyuhyun remarked and pushed a piece of cheese into his mouth. Donghae didn´t say anything.

After the dinner, I went with Donghae back to our cabin. It was dark outside, only the moon was shining through the small round window in our room. Donghae was quiet, a little irritated even, I was honestly confused. Standing in the room and watching him sit on his bed in foul mood, I wished to have better communication skills.

“What´s wrong?” I asked in the end.

“Why did you suddenly decide to take Zhoumi in?” Donghae murmured under his breath.

“Are you mad because I didn´t consult it with you again?” I gulped dryly. “It´s because I thought you were for the idea.” Donghae cleared his throat.

“I´m not mad or anything,” he rubbed his neck with his hand. “I´m feeling good,” Donghae charmed an awkward smile, “everything is good, Hyukkie.”

“I see,” I nodded. I wish I could see into his head.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hello! So it seems that there are more than just one reason for them to feel awkward. Eunhyuk might seem to be obvious but Donghae hasn´t caught on yet. I feel proud that Hyukjae donated so much money to war veterans and it made me feel all fluffy seeing fan vids and all those old photos of him since it was his birthday. Guys, thank you for being ELF. I really like this fandom, so friendly and helpful. Thank you for reading and take care! - PandaHero