DH: Maturity

The City of Gods (sequel to The Treasure Island)

 

 

2.DH Maturity

 

My warm and cosy room, the smell of the freshly made breakfast. I was leaving the home I loved behind again. My mom was crying, begging me to not go anywhere. Father was gripping Eunhyuk´s hand, asking the guide to guard me like the most precious child in the world. I wasn´t a child anymore, I caught Eunhyuk´s eyes on me, he quickly looked away. Why were we so awkward?

“Goodbye!” I waved for the last time before disappearing in the turn of the dusty road. I won´t be coming home for a long time now. I was really excited, this is the moment I have been looking forward to those long three years.

I regretted that I behaved so dumbly on the journey to find the treasure island. I learnt from my mistakes and so when Eunhyuk asked me to wait three years before starting another travel, I decided to dedicate those painful years to preparations. I was building up and training, running long marathons and swimming in the pond. I was riding Siwon, uncle´s horse, very often because I needed better horse riding skills. I tried to learn fighting too but I didn´t have any teacher, only this one traveller that wandered to our village last year. Overall I did my best to be as useful as possible on the journey to the city of gods.

“Did you return to being shy? Is that why you can´t look me in the eye?” I joked about the matter that was actually really bothering me.

“No, I´m a quiet person, that´s why,” Eunhyuk said and gave me a small smile. His eyes quickly dropped, though.

“I see, I will talk then,” I chuckled and Eunhyuk seemed to relax. Maybe I´m only overreacting. Yes, Eunhyuk is a quiet person, him talking would be weirder. And so I began talking about the city, about what had happened in the village, about Siwon too.

Walking two steps behind, I was watching Eunhyuk. He looked the same, talked the same, only felt a little different. His long leather coat, dark but good quality clothes, raven black hair. He was walking gracefully and with sure step. He seemed mysterious and powerful, even with his lean figure. I quickened to take a look into his face, at those dark eyes, white cheeks and red lips. I kissed him on the soft skin, out of endearment, when he was dozing off. That man that had now his lips tightly closed, refusing to speak.

The first night on the way we were spending on a meadow in the long green grass. It was a clear early summer night, we settled on a canvas that Eunhyuk brought. Side by side, me and the big grey wolf. Eunhyuk´s fur glistened in the moonlight like the prettiest silver, his long fangs hidden in his mouth, those ferocious eyes closed. The first time I saw this wolf, I was both frightened and enchanted. Even now I couldn´t find myself to sleep.

“Are you cold?” The wolf growled. Of course he would know I wasn´t asleep, sharp as always that beast.

“Maybe,” I lied. I couldn´t sleep because I was too excited about the adventure. But I didn´t want Eunhyuk to know, he would think I didn´t mature at all. I needed to look manlier.

Eunhyuk then stood up and walked on his four paws closer. He lay next to me, his warm fur pressing against my body. I was surprised, I forgot we used to sleep like that. I felt embarrassed and pushed Eunhyuk away as strongly as I could. The wolf whined and shifted away from me, he didn´t say anything. I can´t let him take care of me like that, I have to fend for myself. I won´t be a burden anymore, I was satisfied after falling asleep without the wolf curled around me.

 

“Let´s go,” Eunhyuk was grumpy in the morning. His dark eyebrows were kneaded together, lips closed even tighter. So far the journey wasn´t that much fun.

In the afternoon we crossed the borders of my country and I began feeling anxious. Eunhyuk was still in foul mood which was exactly what I didn´t need at the moment. I didn´t say anything of course, but I wasn´t feeling safe. The neighbouring country didn´t look much different from our but it was still a foreign land. I knew I wasn´t in danger, yet I wished Eunhyuk would somehow assure me. The morpheles didn´t utter a word.

Unfortunately, my bad feeling confirmed that evening. We were camping in an area with many big boulders, a few tall trees and a narrow rill, hidden in the combed grass. Eunhyuk made fire and then told me he would be back soon. I didn´t know where he went, we still had enough food from my house, he didn´t need to go hunting. I wished he would rather stay. Something in the grass moved.

“Eunhyuk?” I asked into the darkness of the night. No answer.

“Eunhyuk, is that you?” With my fists clenched I asked again. Something moved again.

From behind a boulder poked out a head. It was dark and all I could tell was that the person was tall. It was unbelievably scary when that head moved and I was sure the person was watching me. The grass beneath their legs was rustling, I hoped they would stay behind the boulder. I unclenched my fist and blindly reached to my backpack for my small silver axe. I got the axe from Eunhyuk and it used to bring me courage. Sitting on the ground behind the fire, I was clenching the axe I didn´t know how to use.

“What do you want?” I asked bravely. “Who are you?”

The person didn´t answer, instead moved closer. The long white dress came into contact with the moonlight and the stranger gleamed. I almost stopped breathing at that view. In front of me was standing a woman, bare feet, long brown hair reaching to her hips, pale and dirty face. A witch, she had to be a witch!

“Don´t come near!” I warned, raising my small silver axe a little so the light from the fire would reflex on the object. I wanted to scare her but it didn´t work.

The woman kept moving around, walking in small circles and watching me. Her eyes were dark, gleaming in the moonlight, nervously blinking. Her lips would sometimes move, she was mumbling something. I was scared, was she going to curse me? Her long hair was flailing behind her when she moved too fast, the dress getting caught by the tips of long grass. Just don´t come near me, I begged.

But then she stopped and snapped her head. She was turned to me but her wide eyes were darting around. She was like a fishing bait, to help catching big fishes, lone ghost in the forest. Was something bigger coming? Something stronger and more sinister? He eyes suddenly settled on one place. Not on me. Behind me.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hello! I´m sorry but I forgot when I was supposed to update. I´m glad you told me you were interested in the story, i´m going to continue updating of course. About Donghae´s character, I´m quite curious about your reactions. Donghae had changed but one thing remained, him being a handfull for Eunhyuk. :P Thank you for reading, check the updated drabbles and take care! -PandaHero