EH: Arrow

The City of Gods (sequel to The Treasure Island)

 

 

11.EH Arrow

 

This is becoming serious; all my friends have caught on already. The scene Heechul caused yesterday was a great example of things getting out of hand. I didn´t really want to share about my feelings with others but it seems to be that I´m pretty transparent in this aspect. Fortunately, Donghae still hasn´t caught on so as long as nobody tells him, he should stay in the dark. It´s for the best, I don´t want him to start avoiding me, after all.

“And shoes,” Heechul rolled his eyes.

“Definitely,” I nodded my head, “I need new shoes asap.”

I was shopping for new equipment in Heechul´s shop. Honestly, the journey so far has been pretty comfortable, except for the few days on the desert. But from now on we would be really on our own, no more mishaps were allowed. Not from my side, not from Heechul´s either. I needed to be prepared for anything. My determination was amusing the shop owner.

“You´re quite enthusiastic,” he snorted.

“Shut up,” I barked, choosing new shoes that went well with my leather coat.

“Aw, I hate dogs,” Heechul whistled before chuckling.

We spent a good night at Heechul´s place, somehow the evening turned into a party. Even Heechul´s maid joined us and Kyuhyun couldn´t have been more pleased. I didn´t try to spoil the fun because although we had to board the steamboat early in the morning, everyone could rest in their cabins later on. Right now all my conpanions were sleeping, only me and Heechul were in the shop.

“I want black, Heechul,” I sighed when a pair of red shoes landed in front of me.

“You can´t keep wearing only black,” the shop owner shook his head in disapproval, “it´s not charming at all. It´s scary with that stern face of yours.”

“That´s the point,” I argued, “give me black and make sure they can handle the rainforest.”

“You´re hopeless,” Heechul sighed and finally brought me a good pair. It fit perfectly, I was satisfied.

With that was my shopping over, I took a deep breath. For some reason, I felt nervous. I wasn´t liking it because the most I actually trusted my sixth sense. I was packing all the equipment into the harness-attached backpack, checking thoroughly all the straps, all locks, everything. Safe here, I commented for myself. That means the troubles will come from some other place. Heechul appeared in front of me again, followed by the rest of our group, that didn´t look fresh at all.

“You already finished packing?” Donghae asked me in between yawns.

“It´s time to leave,” I said and threw the backpack on my back. “Thank you,” I told Heechul and he smiled at me.

“I will try to keep check on you, if you meet a local, you can ask for help through him,” he told me, patting my back.

I thanked him one more time and a little hesitantly left Heechul´s Cats, followed by others. Donghae gave me a look, I made it obvious that I was nervous. But when we arrived to the port, the steamboat was just banking, so the mood quickly changed. After boarding, everyone went quickly back to sleep. I used this chance to walk around the ship. But no matter how much I looked around, my alarm kept honking, even though I couldn´t see anything suspicious. Maybe I´m only nervous from Donghae? I have been juggling with my little secret since the beginning of the journey. At first I couldn´t get used to this new side of Donghae but now he was acting just like in the past, it made my heart throb. That must be it, Heechul´s teasing is what brings this weird feeling inside my guts. Pleased by my reasoning, I returned to the cabin and found there Donghae sleeping. I morphed into my wolf form and lay down next to his bed protectively.

“That Heechul guy, is really strange,” Donghae was properly awake only in the evening. During the dinner on the deck we all met up at one table.

“Yeah, I couldn´t get used to him either the first time I met him at Ryeowook´s place. I don´t like cats,” I confirmed, putting a thick piece of warm ham into my mouth.

“I thought so! Heechul isn´t just a human, right?” Kyuhyun was suddenly interested in the conversation, Donghae´s ears twitched too.

“Nope, he isn´t,” I closed the topic, not saying anything no matter how many times they asked me. I like Heechul, but I still don´t like cats.

The lights on the ship were brightening the deck. Outside it was dark, as if we were sailing on black ink. I couldn´t tell water or land from sky. Even stars weren´t visible, I shivered. Something was definitely off. I put down the fork and stood up. Kyuhyun accused me of breaking the mood but I couldn´t care less, the air smelled of smoke.

“If you finished eating, go back to your cabin,” I told them sternly.

“Eunhyuk?” Zhoumi asked me confused.

“I would like you to keep your shoes on and things packed for the time being,” I said and made sure I sounded serious enough for them to take my words as an order.

“Hyukkie, what´s wrong?” Donghae asked me when we came back to the cabin and I began loosening the straps on the harness to make it fit for much wider torso.

“I don´t know, Donghae,” I whined, “I really don´t, but I can feel something bad happening.”

“Alright,” surprisingly Donghae didn´t push it and prepared his own things for possible immediate leave.

And then it happened! It really happened, the smoke became thicker, the siren began roaring, lights flickered. Donghae yelped when somebody screamed outside. I gestured him to put on his jacket and the small backpack he owned. In less than two minutes, Zhoumi and Kyuhyun came barging into our room, dressed and prepared.

“Bandits are attacking the ship from the land. They are shooting fiery arrows!” Kyuhyun informed us.

“Arrows?” I frowned, no wings then. Alright, plan B, I loosened the straps on the harness even more and held it around my waist.

“What do we do, Eunhyuk?” Zhoumi was obviously putting all his faith in me.

“Is there anyone that can´t swim at all?” I asked.

“I don´t know about the luggage on my back,” Kyuhyun admitted. More screams on the deck, it was becoming hard to breathe.

“Here is the plan,” I began, instinctively taking Donghae´s hand. “We need to leave the ship but I can´t fly or else I would become an easy target. Therefore, we are swimming and don´t forget to swim to the side where the attackers are.”

“What? That makes no sense!” Donghae protested.

“Not exactly there, the stream will take you further away, they won´t even notice in the dark if you stay quiet. Swimming to the other side of the river is what they want, I´m sure another group of bandits is waiting there to rob people that escape the ship on salvage boats.”

“I don´t think we can make it with the luggage and all,” Donghae said again.

“Don´t worry you have me,” I squeezed his hand, “Zhoumi´s bag is the lightest, I will pick him up the latest. Donghae goes first, he will help me with the harness. Let´s go!”

At that we ran out of the cabin and on the deck. It was chaos. Everyone screamed, many salvage boats were already on the river, some people jumped into the water. The lights went off but there was enough light caused by the flames, arrows were still flying. We found ourselves standing near the railing and metal ladder heading into the ink like water.

“Wait, did you say pick up?” Donghae suddenly blinked. I grinned at him and then my body transformed.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Asa! I decided to keep the new form for the next chapter :P The little remark on the boat about Heechul is for FelixLegion, kkkk. Have you seen Hyukkebi? Seriously, Hyukjae will troll us until the end of times... Also, I´m looking forward to ICSYV with Teuk, Heechul, Shindong and Yesung. It´s going to be hilarious. Thank you for reading and try this pool, if you have time! Take care! - PandaHero