EH: Camp

The City of Gods (sequel to The Treasure Island)

 

 

5.EH Camp

 

“Is that a tent?” I asked.

I was down in Shindong´s shop and picking things we would need on the journey further south. The harness was a must, clothes, first aid, provisions, weapons. I had to think of many different scenarios, but I was confident. The last year I took many offers of merchants heading south in order to prepare myself. I have been to various places but before taking Donghae there, I wanted to make sure my skills were still top notch. Donghae. That man changed way too much, I couldn´t read him, I didn´t understand. I was trying but for an asocial man-wolf like me it was really difficult.

“It´s a tent that can be easily folded and used as a bag, you can put the supplies there and it doesn´t take much space. I got it especially for you,” Shindong gave me the light cloth.

“Good pick, I will take it for sure,” I hummed after inspecting the material.

“Show it around, I´m sure once other travellers see this, they will want to buy it too,” Shindong winked.

“Other travellers avoid me,” I snorted. Shindong wanted to speak some more but I gestured him to count the price instead. It was dawn already, we needed to leave. I paid and began packing.

I already ate earlier and even packed the cold meat with me for lunch and perhaps even dinner later. After that I waited for Donghae and Kyuhyun to finish their morning routine. The sun was up when the two of them came downstairs, Donghae looked as if he didn´t sleep a wink. I thought it was quite irresponsible from him, when will he again get the chance to sleep in a bed? Nevertheless, it was the time to say goodbye and leave.

We had to walk a little further until we reach a port. From there we had to take a ship down the river. This was according to Donghae´s map and I tried to make as much as possible of the journey comfortable. But between the fresh country and the port was a desert. Hot and dangerous desert. Two more days and we reach there.

Somehow it happened that I didn´t get to talk to Donghae much through those two days. It could have been because Kyuhyun was there and the presence of the hunter made me stay quiet. Or rather it was the new Donghae making me stay low profile. I couldn´t get rid of this bad feeling, I blamed myself for letting the sulkiness and disappointment overgrow. It was my fault because I was unable to talk it out with him. I hated it. And I missed him.

“Let´s call it a day earlier today,” I announced when I had the desert in sight a few kilometres away, “we should get up early tomorrow.”

“I hope you can walk us through the sand, Ruminant,” Kyuhyun cleared his throat, “Donghae said it will take us a few days to cross the desert.”

Putting down the backpack and harness attached to my leather coat, I glanced at the hunter. Drips of sweat were on the top of my forehead; the sun was still in charge of the day. I was looking for hints of mockery or bad intent but all I found in his eyes was insecurity. Kyuhyun was used to mountains and forests, he knew cold but he has never visited a lifeless place like this. There was no place for joking in my answer.

“Rest assured, I will guide you through safely,” I told him confidently.

“It´s not that I´m scared, it´s just that you are only a dumb dog,” he tried to smooth it out after understanding that I saw right through him. I found it amusing but kept the grin for myself.

“Kyuhyun! Don´t talk like that to Hyuk!” All of a sudden Donghae got mad, both me and Kyuhyun looked at him surprised.

“I was just joking,” Kyuhyun rolled his eyes, I didn´t like him ignoring Donghae but at the same time I didn´t understand what the fuss was about.

“Don´t joke around as you wish,” Donghae ran out of arguments, mumbling.

I decided not to comment on the issue but I felt the atmosphere tensing. Donghae broke the peace and my heart felt heavy. I decided to be professional, Donghae wanted to take the lead and I would let him. I was only a guide, only an employee, I slipped into the role that was by now for me natural. Morpheles or not, here I was the lowest subordinate. Even toward Kyuhyun I couldn´t find myself acting snarky anymore. Just this much the mood of the group had changed since the last journey. I regretted it but my wolf pride kept me from trying to negotiate, I would listen but my heart would beat the way I wanted it.

We built the tent and ate dinner warmed up on the quickly made fire. As expected, nobody said a word. It was me who spoke first, informing that I would refill the water supplies for tomorrow. When I managed to leave the camp, I could finally breathe out. I wasn´t sensitive to tense situations, but I guess Donghae´s behaviour did affect me after all. It mattered, he wasn´t only my employer. He could never be just that.

When I returned to the camp, the sun was only setting but Kyuhyun obediently took my advice and was sleeping peacefully in the tent. Donghae on the other hand was still wide awake and with a stick poking into the fire. He seemed to be deep in thoughts, therefore I quietly walked around him and put down the water containers.

“Did I hurt you, Eunhyuk?” He whispered and I felt my hairs bristle. I turned around, looking on his crouched back.

“No,” I lied.

“Can I sleep next to you tonight? I think I´m also afraid of the unknown,” Donghae sighed. My heart was beating for the reason I didn´t know. Maybe I was happy that he wanted to be close to me, maybe I was feeling his fright, his need for safety or perhaps I was just excited like a real dog. I chuckled quietly.

“Sure,” I cleared my throat, “I´m always here for you.” Oh, I didn´t just say something a newlywed husband would, right? Ah, my wolf pride.

“Thanks, Eunhyukkie,” Donghae turned around and smiled at me. His brown orbs were shining in the last ray of sunlight and my chest tightened. Come on, calm down you excited dog!

The night sky was still only dark blue, far from black and starry. Kyuhyun was loudly snoring in the tent and Donghae lay next to him, facing the opening. I transformed and soundlessly walked to him on my four paws, lying down in front of Donghae. I even dared to put my head into the tent and quickly felt him fist the fur on my side. I wished I was a cat so I could purr, but then I wouldn´t be able to warm him up well. Cats just weren´t my forte.

“Good night, Eunhyukkie,” Donghae said. Embarrassed I wheezed through my nostrils.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hello from Taipei! Strangely, I managed to revive my laptop after some struggles so I thought it´s a sign for me to update. :D I felt strong reaction towards Donghae from you, I´m sure you feel better now. Yet, things are going to get harder, we´re in a desert guys! Thank you so much for reading and take care, everyone! - PandaHero