EH: Technique

The City of Gods (sequel to The Treasure Island)

 

 

13.EH Technique

 

The rawest part of the journey began. We couldn´t depend anymore on steamboats, served lunches or Yesung´s franchises. On top of that we began this difficult part of the travel by soaking wet in the river, therefore whenever we took a break, we would pull out the guts of our baggage and dry it on the sun. Fortunately, for now I didn´t see any damage to either our well stored food nor to my companions.

In my wolf form, I led us back to the riverside. We were slightly behind as the current brought us that night backwards. We swiftly passed the place of the accident, taking the longer road just in case. And then we continued up the stream as I transformed into the llama again. I learnt this form on purpose because it was suitable for both, desert and mountains. Compared to the catfish, I gave this form a lot of thought. The catfish was, well, the biggest fish I could manage. No more anchovies for your amusement, brats.

“It was really amazing, the way you transformed,” Zhoumi was the one talking, “I was really awed.”

“I´m more amazed that out of all your weird forms, the human one is the ugliest,” Kyuhyun started provoking.

“I think the mouse is very cute,” Zhoumi continued, “but the wolf is the real deal.”

“Your face is really complicated,” Kyuhyun took the baton again, “it´s somehow all over the place,” he gestured.

“Spit,” Donghae who was the whole time quietly walking next to me and holding onto my harness, discretely spoke up. And I gladly listened to him, spitting into Kyuhyun´s face.

“Ow,” he cried, “not again! Do you have any idea how much you stink?! Oh, Lord.”

“I think you are handsome,” Zhoumi quickly added when he saw the scene. For the first time, even I felt amused. But it´s a terrible sight when a llama laughs, so I gritted my teeth and continued walking.

As we were walking, the landscape began slowly changing. Bushes were more frequent and it would be hard to spot any sand now. Lonely trees soon exchanged for small forests and the surrounding became livelier with flocks of colourful birds above our heads. Tall mountains were to be seen in front of us and I began worrying. Soon we would reach the jungle.

“I´m so excited, Eunhyukkie,” Donghae told me once, when we passed a peculiar looking iguana. “We are getting close to the city of gods!” I couldn´t but sigh, which made Donghae frown. His opinion, though, he kept until we were alone.

We built the tent near the river. It was convenient for various reasons like getting some fish for dinner. Our clothes and even a few utensils were hanging above our tents and drying. I went to make a check and mark the places around the camp to keep away wild animals. When I was coming back, Donghae was waiting for me by an old tree. I morphed from wolf to human.

“Do you have any problem?” He asked me to my horror. I shook my head and tried to pass through. Donghae grabbed my arm. “Then why are you running away?”

“I don´t have any problem, let go,” I said tiredly and tried to gently pry his hand off, Donghae didn´t budge.

“Oh, really? You look like an abused animal,” he told me.

“That´s not true,” I chuckled but his grip on my arm was slightly irritating me. I wasn´t used to him using force on me. It didn´t suit him, Donghae was a gentle being.

“Listen to me!” He pulled on my arm and I spun around facing him. “I´m saying you look as if we were hurting you. You seem to be in bad mood too.”

“Donghae let go,” I snarled, his grip tightened. I didn´t want to snarl at Donghae but he was pushing my buttons. I wasn´t hurting or anything for the god´s sake!

“I get that there´s a lot on your shoulders,” he continued while I was growing very irritated, “with the addition of Zhoumi and all. You take very good care of him,” Donghae was now even getting off topic, “you shouldn´t use all your energy on us.”

“Donghae, stop it!” I barked and harshly pulled back my arm.

But Donghae was stubborn and grabbed me with both hands. At that moment I saw red, I felt attacked, therefore I defended. I growled and threw poor Donghae in one swift movement over my shoulder. He landed on the ground hard and groaned in pain. I suddenly sobered up. The blood that had rushed to my head was now gone and I paled instead. I knew I should go down on my knees and help him but I was frozen in place, completely terrified. Disappointed in myself to the point I wanted to cry. I´ve cried only once in my life, because of Donghae. But back then I was happy, now it was the saddest I´ve ever felt. I felt betrayed by my own senses.

“I´m sorry,” I managed to whisper, my voice weakening. Donghae began picking himself up, he didn´t seem hurt, only baffled. He was sitting on the ground, dusty and surprised. Then he looked up at me, I slightly jerked backwards.

“Um,” he began and raised his arm. Maybe he wanted to reach to me or perhaps he was asking me to help him up, yet I couldn´t move, only stood there. I hurt Donghae, for no reason. “Hyukkie?”

“I-I didn´t mean to,” I told him, my eyes still wide and staring, “I really didn´t want to.”

“I know, I know,” Donghae woke up from the trance first. He jumped up on his legs and began closing the distance between us. Carefully, as if I was a wild beast, which was true. “It´s alright,” he cooed with his arms raised. “Don´t move, it´s alright.” I couldn´t move.

“I´m sorry,” I told him when he was almost in front of me. My arms were down, my body was surrendering. He fearlessly embraced me.

“It´s alright, I pushed you,” he whispered into my ear and my head fell on his shoulder. “Don´t worry, you didn´t do anything wrong.” That´s not true.

“Donghae,” I began explaining, “I am really fine, I am not hurting or anything. You have to understand that I like taking care of you all.”

“I know, Hyukkie, I know,” his hands were moving up and down my back and I felt my muscles relaxing.

“But I´m worried because it´s going to be tough and I don´t want to fail again,” I told him honestly, with embarrassment realising how my body was comfortable in his embrace.

“So, what if you fail,” he sighed, “we always somehow get away from troubles. It wouldn´t be any adventure if you brought us everywhere safely and comfortably. I have been training hard these past three years because I wanted to be of help. You don´t need to baby me, you can but you don´t have to.”

“Thank you, Hae,” I finally gathered enough courage to hug him back. This is what I wanted to hear, that I didn´t have to but could. I rubbed my eyes into his shoulder to discreetly get rid of my tears.

“Anyway, don´t you dare say again that you aren´t in bad mood,” Donghae turned more cheerful and began with the expected scolding. “If you wrestle people when you are in good mood, then you are seriously in need of professional help.” I chuckled, sniffing his neck.

“I was only showing off,” I played along with his light mood, “aren´t you impressed by my technique?”

“What technique?” I raised my head abruptly from the embrace when Kyuhyun appeared near us with a smirk on his face. “Is kissing what you were doing here all alone? I won´t disturb you then!”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Uh-uuuh! Seems like for Hyuk is Kyuhyun the biggest danger of the journey, kekekekeke. I didn´teven realize that itwas already Wednesday and I was supposed to update T_T. Btw, if you have time, check out the supernatural oneshot about a sea monster, you chose in the previous pool. I´m adding another pool then. Than kyou for reading and have a nice (here´s snowing) day! - PandaHero