Take Care of the Baby

Take Care of the Baby

"Where are you going?" Baekhyun asked from the hallway entrance, watching his parents rushing to the door.

 

"There was an emergency at our work. We're coming back as quickly as possible," his father answered while putting on his coat.

 

"Baek, honey, our neighbor Joonmyeon needed us to take care of his baby tonight. Can you do it while we're out?" his mother asked and Baekhyun sighed, nodding as his mother blowed a kiss to him and closed the door.

 

The boy the TV and laid on the couch, watching some random show.

 

 

***

 

 

When Joonmyeon arrived with the baby he was also in a hurry. He thanked and apologized to Baekhyun, handing the baby to him.

 

The man kissed the baby's forehead and handed him his teddy bear before waving goodbye.

 

Baekhyun didn't even had the chance to ask important things about the baby, like what he likes to eat. All he was told was that his name was Kyungsoo.

The boy was left confused on the front door of his own house with a baby in his arms. He was holding the baby on the air, the small human being looking at him with big brown eyes.

 

"Hey little buddy," Baekhyun tried to communicate with him, but as soon as he tried to smile, the baby started to cry and he panicked.

 

 

***

 

 

He tried everything to calm him down. He even played with the teddy bear, but that only made Kyungsoo cry even more.

 

Baekhyun sighed giving up. He walked to the fridge and grabbed an ice cream pot to calm himself down.

 

As soon as he opened it, Kyungsoo stopped crying. Baekhyun looked at the baby, who had his wet red eyes fixed on the ice cream pot.

 

Baekhyun smiled.

 

 

***

 

 

Now he was sitting on a chair, Kyungsoo on the table in front of him. He tried to feed him with a spoon, but the baby refused it. Before the boy could stop him, Kyungsoo was shoving his chubby hand inside the pot, eating the chocolate ice cream from it.

 

Baekhyun sighed and decided to do the same, eating the part Kyungsoo hadn't touched yet.

 

The baby glared at Baekhyun but didn't stop him, and the boy thought his existence might started being accepted by Kyungsoo.

 

They stayed in silence and eating, until Baekhyun's phone rang.

 

He picked it up with his clean hand, hearing his boyfriend's deep voice on the other line.

 

"Today is Saturday, do you wanna go somewhere?" Chanyeol asked him, and Baekhyun looked at the baby who was now staring at him.

 

"I can't, I'm taking care of the baby," Chanyeol didn't answer him for a moment and Baekhyun started to wonder if he heard him.

 

"W-what baby? I'm sure we used and–" Baekhyun chuckled at Chanyeol's confused tone.

 

"That's not it, your idiot. My parents left me taking care of Junmyeon's baby tonight," Kyungsoo gave up trying to understand what they were saying, returning his focus to the ice cream between his tights. 

 

"A baby?" Chanyeol sounded excited. "I'm going to help you, wait for me!" before Baekhyun could say he didn't have to, Chanyeol had already hung up.

 

"Do you mind meeting my boyfriend?" Baekhyun asked Kyungsoo and the baby only glared at him, not paying attention at all.

 

 

***

 

 

Twenty minutes later the door bell rang, and Baekhyun had a faint hope that it was his parents or Junmyeon, even though he knew it was Chanyeol.

 

He opened the door to see the giant greeting him with a wide grin on his face.

 

He hugged Baekhyun, letting go when he spotted the baby on the table with his face covered in chocolate ice cream.

 

"Oh, there's the baby!" Chanyeol ran to pick him up.

 

"Chanyeol, don't!" Baekhyun tried to warn him, but it was too late.

 

 

***

 


"What are you doing?" Baekhyun asked Chanyeol from the couch, where he was watching a random movie.

 

"I'm just keeping a safe distance from the little gargoyle," Chanyeol answered from the other side of the room, six meters away from Kyungsoo who was now clean and playing on the floor with his teddy bear.

 

"He's not a monster you know," Baekhyun tried to defend the baby, and Chanyeol looked at him in disbelief.

 

"Well excuse me, but that little thing tried to kill me five minutes ago!" Chanyeol pointed at Kyungsoo, who was oblivious of the accusation.

 

"You surprised him. And he's not very... sociable," Baekhyun looked at the baby and then at Chanyeol. "Come here, sit with me."

 

Chanyeol hesitated for a moment, before walking to Baekhyun and sitting beside him, not making any noises so Kyungsoo wouldn't notice his presence.

 

Baekhyun grabbed the taller's hand, seeing little marks of teeth were Kyungsoo had bitten him.

 

"Relax, it's not like he's going to attack you," Baekhyun tried to tranquilize Chanyeol, what seemed to work. Chanyeol interlocked their fingers and relaxed on the couch, both of them watching the movie on the TV.

 

 

***

 


Baekhyun was almost sleeping on the giant's shoulder when he felt Chanyeol tensing up.

 

"Baekhyun," Chanyeol whispered, calling his boyfriend. "He's coming towards us," Chanyeol sounded like he was in panic and Baekhyun opened his eyes, seeing the little baby walking on his chubby legs and holding his teddy bear.

 

"That's it. I knew that moment would come," Chanyeol was holding his hand too tight now. "I love you Baek, please put flowers and fried potatoes on my grave."

 

Kyungsoo reached them and stopped in front of Chanyeol, staring at him.

 

"Why do I feel like he's looking inside my soul," Chanyeol whispered, and before Baekhyun could answer he saw Kyungsoo trying to climb Chanyeol's legs.

 

The giant hesitantly picked him up, putting him on his lap. Kyungsoo touched his hand as if saying sorry and Baekhyun smiled.

 

"See? He's not trying to kill you," Baekhyun laid on Chanyeol's shoulder again, admiring the baby's rose cheeks.

 

"Maybe that's all a part of his plan," Chanyeol said playfully, seeming much more calm now.

 

Baekhyun tried to take a nap again but that was impossible with Chanyeol playing with Kyungsoo, trying to make him laugh.

 

When the giant held the teddy bear and began to make a voice to it, Kyungsoo laughed enthusiastic.

 

"His lips form a heart when he smiles, how cute!" Chanyeol put a hand on his chest, and Baekhyun laughed.

 

But he couldn't stop himself of feeling a bit jealous of Chanyeol being able to make the baby laugh doing the same thing Baekhyun had tried a few hours ago.

 

 

***

 


When Baekhyun's parents came back home, he and Kyungsoo were sleeping on Chanyeol's chest.

 

"Chanyeol, what a surprise!" Baekhyun's father whispered, trying not to wake up the two boys sleeping peacefully.

 

"I'm sorry if they caused you any trouble," the man's wife appeared right behind him, and Chanyeol smiled.

 

"Don't worry, it was one of my favorite nights," Baekhyun moved on his right shoulder trying to get more comfortable and the couple smiled at him.

 

 

***

 


The neighbor came to pick up Kyungsoo a few minutes later, the baby still sleeping heavily on Chanyeol's arms when he passed him to Joonmyeon.

'He's pretty tired from attacking me,' Chanyeol thought to himself while he closed the door, but smiling when he remembered the cute smile the baby had.

 

Chanyeol was invited to spend the night at their house and Baekhyun arranged a futon on the living room, the two of them laying there and watching movies together.

 

Baekhyun fell asleep right after, and Chanyeol looked at the boy in his arms.

 

He wondered about how it'd be like to have a family with Baekhyun, smiling at the thought. 

 

He pecked the smaller's forehead whispering a small 'I love you' and feeling Baekhyun hugging him tighter.

 

His smile widened, and he couldn't wait for their future together.