Jungkook - Encounters (Part 2)

A Collection of Beginnings

Their second encounter happened a few days after their first. Sooji found herself alone at the 8 am differential calculus lecture. She stared rather annoyed at her phone. Mihye had slept in since yesterday's linear algebra quiz had somewhat defeated her. Her self-misery was also her own fault since she was quite distracted with a new game she downloaded on her phone, Tiny Tower. The game, although old, had somewhat ensnared her to start a bet with her boyfriend, both trying to out level the other, so far, Mihye was winning by 2 floors.

Jungkook walked into the large lecture theatre looking for a suitable place to sit for four and found Sooji near the front with her head down like she was dozing off. Looking down at his wrist, he saw that he was 15 minutes early, enough time to get coffee.

He walked purposefully to Sooji and planted himself in the seat next to her on her right. She looked up at him when she saw a pair of legs approaching her and frowned when she saw the familiar face.

"Good morning. Is this seat taken?" he asked quite cheerfully for someone attending a boring 8 am math class.  She begrudgingly shook her head. Surprised, Jungkook asked where her friend was to which she replied that she has been ditched in favour of a piece of furniture, also the love of her life, Mihye's bed. He chuckled good naturedly and pulled out his notebook and pens.

They both settled into an awkward silence with Jungkook thinking of ways to excuse himself to get coffee. They both turned towards each other at the same time, their eye contact made her blush and turn away. Jungkook realised at that moment he quite liked the pink on her cheeks. He mustered his courage and asked her to look after his things while he leaves the lecture theatre for a while.

"You're not afraid that I'll steal your things?" Sooji questioned curiously.

"Nahhh. You don't look like that type. Anyways, I'll be right back,"

He left quickly, hoping that the nearest coffee cart had a short line. He waited in line, pondering what he should get when he got a text from his friend, Taehyung asking where he was. Jungkook started to text back when he thought better of it and called Taehyung instead. Taehyung answered almost instantaneously.

"Hey! Where are you?"

"I'm getting coffee. Want one?"

"Yea. Can you get me a chai latte?"

"So hipster. Listen, I left my things with a girl at the front of the lecture theatre. There should be enough seats for all of us assuming no one had decided to take a seat." Jungkook tried to sound inconspicuous, hoping his friend won't detect anything strange.

"A girl? I didn't know you were looking for a relationship.  What does she look like?" Taehyung asked curiously. "Ohh I see her, I think. Does she have shoulder length hair, sitting near the front?"

"I'm gonna say yes but there might be a few girls of that same detailed description,"

"I didn't know you were into the good girl type. She's pretty cute," Taehyung commented quietly. "Hi, I'm Taehyung, Jungkook's friend. Are these Jungkook's things?"

Sooji looked up in confusion at the stranger before uttering out, "Who's Jungkook?"

"Oh man. Wrong girl. Wrong girl. Sorry," he apologised quickly and spoke into the phone, "Dude, I don't know where your things are or where the girl is,"

Sooji looked at the stranger while recalling whether the guy who dropped his things next to her was actually Jungkook. Despite her relatively good grades, she's got quite a bad memory and decided she should probably clear this mess up before anything else happens.

"Umm … Excuse me," she voiced out quietly hoping to grab Taehyung's attention while his attention is still on the phone. Clearly her attempt has been unsuccessful, she gets up to tap him on the shoulder, "Is Jungkook the one that looks like a squirrel?"

Taehyung stared at her for few blank seconds before his laughter carried through the entire auditorium bringing everyone's attention upon them. Sooji squirmed under the curious stares but Taehyung continued to laugh, holding on to his stomach for relief. No one had ever called Jungkook squirrel-like but now that she has mentioned it, he can't seem to disagree or get the idea out of his head. When he finally calmed down, he spoke into his phone, "This is one amazing girl, Jungkook. I'm hanging up and hanging out with this diamond,"

Sooji could hear the sounds of complaints from the other side but Taehyung ignored it. "Let me introduce myself properly. I'm Taehyung, the squirrel's high school friend. I'm doing a double on project management and civil engineering. I'm so glad to have met you because you've just gave me new blackmail material," he smiled so brightly with his hand stuck out that Sooji didn't even notice her own hand gravitating towards his to shake.

"I'm Sooji. I'm doing a straight chemical engineering degree. I've only met Jungkook a few days ago," she shook his hand politely while still somewhat in a daze. She broke out of the gaze when she noticed a pair of eyes staring at her or more specifically, her hand that were still in Taehyung's hand. She quickly pulled away and sat back down in her seat. Walking with purpose towards the two with slightly furrowed eyebrows, he settled in his seat while handing each a cup. Sooji stared at the cup startled and looked up in confusion.

"It's a mocha with two sugars. Your morning sugar dosage, right?" his eyes stared into hers but she quickly looked away. She felt like he was looking into her soul and that is definitely out of her comfort zone.

"Ooohhh! You know how she likes her coffee already? Well aren't you just flying fast?" Taehyung nudged Jungkook while Sooji blushed scarlet.

"It's not like that. She's gonna bite my head off if I don't feed the dragon. The usual dragon handler is MIA," he , earning him glares to which he laughed off.

"Thanks for the mocha but my attitude is not up for discussion and you will remember it well because the next time you say something like that, you'll find that you may need a change of clothes and cold running water for your first degree burns," her eyes had sparks of warning and Jungkook could only say that he was slightly shaken by the look in her eyes and put both hands in the air as a sign of surrender.

"I think someone needs running water now after that comment," Taehyung commentated.

Almost all conversion stopped when they noticed their professor at the front of the lecture theatre fixing the microphone but Taehyung whispered to Jungkook's ear with teasing intent, "Maybe your type is actually a fire spitting dragon? Don't poke the dragon too much,"

Aside from the early excitement, differential calculus was quite uneventful. There were several things that Sooji noticed from sitting next to Jungkook. For one, he could never keep still, like he was constantly bubbling with stored energy. Secondly, he liked using different colours when writing notes which was quite unusual for a guy his age. Thirdly, his handwriting was magnificent, she was quite jealous that her own was somewhat lacking in the visual department. And lastly, he liked looking around and specifically, looking at her which she tried to avoid by having her hair curtain her face from his view.

When class finished, Sooji quickly packed up and sped out of the lecture theatre leaving Jungkook in somewhat shock. "Dude, you scared her off," Taehyung pat him on the back while shaking his head.

"No, I didn't. She just had to get to chemistry," Jungkook shrugged off the hand while they slowly made their way out of the class.

"How do you know her timetable already? You're such a stalker,"

"I had a glimpse as she was packing up and checking her timetable," Jungkook explained.

"I say stalker, she says restr OWWW!!" Taehyung rubbed his arm while glaring at the other before pointing towards the chemistry building where a familiar girl was talking to a tall, young and unfamiliar male. She smiled up at him while he was telling her something using his hands and arms, gesturing quite enthusiastically. Jungkook clucked his tongue in annoyance, "You better shift into hyper speed if you want to catch her before he does," It was so like Taehyung to rub salt on Jungkook's egotistic wounds.


Part 2 of Jungkook's story is up. Hope you're enjoying it so far.