Jungkook - Encounters (Part 1)

A Collection of Beginnings

It was a spring day when they first met. The weather was pleasant and favourable, though perhaps not favourable to the girl sitting on the library stairs. For the girl, 8 o'clock is never a favourable time unless it is in bed.

She stared at her phone willing it to show a message. Her eyes caught upon a light; shimmering and distracting. Her attention has now abandoned her currently vibrating phone. Entranced by the light, she located the source; a reflection off the screen of another phone. The owner obliviously directing the light into her eyes, she was displeased with his carelessness but there is really nothing to do when they are clueless of their offence. She tried to ignore the flashing in her eyes and directed her attention back to her phone where a number of messages has come through.

While going through the messages, she had failed to notice that someone had seated himself beside her. It was only when another reflecting attack assaulted her eyes did she look beside her. She huffed in annoyance and turned her head away so that it will not bother her but heard a soft chuckle. The stranger was perhaps not so innocent after all, she directed a glare at him while his playful eyes and wide grin launched a new attack. She felt her blob of a heart pick up speed while her ears and cheeks begin to heat up. She would have to say that his appearance isn't lacking in any sort of way but it's not like she was going to admit that to him.

She quickly looked away to avoid his siege against her heart so he wouldn't be able to witness her downfall. To her surprise, she soon found his arm over her shoulders bringing her closer. Her whole body tensing and her heart beating even faster (if that was even possible). She turned her head and her widened eyes looked imploringly into his, trying to find an answer to his sudden skinship. When she found none, she quickly pushed his arm off like it was diseased.

Fortunately, the library's glass sliding doors had opened, welcoming the early birds of students. The girl quickly picked up her bag and rushed for one of the booths located in the library. It was a known fact that acquiring a booth in the library was either by getting there early in the morning or pure luck that a study group all simultaneously leave for class. She quickly settled down and reread the text messages her friend had sent. Smiling down at the phone knowing that in less than 10 minutes, she would be holding a hot mocha with two sugars. She pulled out her linear algebra notes, a class she was currently skipping at that very hour so she can study for the upcoming quiz in 2 days. The logic behind it was quite strange but regardless, the lectures were recorded and the lecturer was covering a new topic that was not going to be tested. So it made some sense that she wasn't attending. Sort of.

While her attention was diverted, the boy settled on the bench opposite her. It was only when he started to pull out his own work that she looked up.

"That seat is taken," she frowned at him.

"By you?" he asked mockingly.

"No but my friend will be here soon," she said defensively while trying to avoid eye contact.

"I'm sure your friend will be able to fit. These booths are designed for four to six people, you know?" he replied nonchalantly which made the girl all the more annoyed. She huffed and left him to his own devices.

She returned to her linear algebra sample quiz paper, slowly working through each question with some difficulty. She had gotten to question 7 when she heard the voice of her friend.

"Morning munchkin. There were so many people at the cafe, it was ridiculous. The chick in front of me was ordering for a whole office or something. And the orders have really long names like soy chai low fat frappuccino latte,"

"Good morning and you just made that up right?"

"Yeahhh … Nobody's got time for that," it was at that moment that her friend did notice that half the booth has been occupied by a young man. Her eyebrows rose and made suggestive eyes to the girl sitting down.

"Hey. Hi. I'm Mihye and if my friend hasn't introduced herself yet, her name is Sooji," she introduced for both of them, earning a scowl from Sooji while Mihye smiled quite cheerfully.

"Jungkook. Your friend has quite a temper," he smiled back with the same intensity of cheerfulness.

"Oh don't worry if she tries to bite your head off. She just hasn't had her morning dose of sugar. The only acceptable way of taking her dosage is via a mocha with two sugars because consuming five tablespoons of sugar is frowned upon in society. Right?" Mihye nudged Sooji while her scowl deepened as she reached for the mocha that Mihye was purposely keeping out of reach. "Now Sooji, say good morning to the nice guy. Introduce yourself and tell him what course you are studying and then you can have your mocha,"

Sooji crossed her arms and shook her head, "No. It's none of his business," The other girl resorted to wafting the scent of coffee under her nose and taking a sip, she sighed in content while mocking the one pouting. Jungkook watched this exchange in amusement and was surprised that Sooji actually obeyed.

"Good morning, my name is Sooji and I'm a first year chemical engineering student. I'm only doing this for my mocha so don't get any funny ideas," as she finished, she swiftly grabbed the cup out of Mihye's hands to finally get a taste of her long-awaited drink. She sighed as she settled back into the bench with her legs crossed under her.

"Childish," Mihye coughed into her hand and turned her attention back to the male across. She gave him an encouraging smile as if asking for the same information.

"I'm Jungkook and I study civil engineering, first year. I hope we can be friends," he said amiably while he stuck out his hand. Sooji looked at the hand as if it was an alien creature and Mihye could only shake her head and elbowed Sooji to shake the hand. Begrudingly, Sooji placed her hand in his to give the most civilised handshake she could manage while Jungkook gave a gentle squeeze and a firm shake to complete the action.

Despite the air-conditioning system blasting at full capacity, Sooji felt her cheeks get slightly warmer and her hands, especially the one being held, sweat in an almost inhuman condition. Mihye stared at the linked hands and smiled. Mihye thought perhaps this could be the start of a cute relationship for Sooji. After her almost anti-social ways in high school, she could experience the blessings of a wonderful first love.

"OK!" Mihye interrupted the two. Sooji's hand slipped out of Jungkook's rather quickly leaving him to stare at his hand confused "I know for sure that we all have a linear algebra quiz this week and I barely know anything,"

With that, Sooji rushed Mihye to get her stuff out so she can start a crash course explanation for the upcoming quiz, leaving Jungkook to ponder over their handshake and occasionally look up at Sooji in a state of confusion.


I hope you've enjoyed the first part of this Jungkook story and I will try my utmost to complete it this holiday. Leave comments below so I may improve and bring you better stories.