Chapter 9

Breathe

 

"You don't wanna be my heart,

You don't wanna be my life,

I really can't understand this moment,

Words I've said wrongly, no, they become worries,

Look around you,

You will always be my love" - Apink, Secret

 

 

Chapter 9

 

It was if, everything stopped in time. Under the white moonlight that shone onto the cold, icy road across the Han River, snow poured down as agony kicked in, emotions of despair spurred through as all you could hear that night, was the cries and screams of a girl whose sat on that road, helpless and unable to bring herself to walk. The driver who was at fault, was drunk and simply slept in his seat as the vehicle hit a lamp post not far, from the scene.

"Oh my...god..." said Eunji as she and Naeun arrived just in time to witness the nightmare that folded in front of their eyes. She was already on her phone, calling for 911. The girl couldn't think or speak properly, but she had to stay calm and focused. In a situation like this, she had to be strong.

"Unnie!" said Naeun as she went straight for Chorong, helping her to stand up. Looking at her face, she could tell that their leader wasn't in her right mind. Her hands trembled, tears continued to roll down as her eyes continued to fix onto Bomi's body that laid helplessly on the icy road. The younger girl closed her eyes and hugged her unnie tightly, she was afraid as well. If only she was quick enough, she was able to do something and prevent this from happening. Naeun blamed herself for not noticing it sooner as she too, had tears rolling down.

Soon enough, ambulances and police cars arrived. Things happened quickly, like a dream that went passed. Eunji took care of everything swiftly. As they watched Bomi being lifted into the ambulance as nurses rush to check on her, the girl was busy dialling the managers, maknaes, friends, relatives, family, anyone that she could think of. Even at one glance, she could tell that her unnie was in no condition to make important decisions at that time. Naeun tried her best to comfort Chorong, who seemed to have lost life in her eyes. The girl had cried so much that she had lost the strength to even talk. Anyone could tell that she was undergoing a huge trauma that will effect her life, forever.

The three of them decided to go to the hospital via taxi seperately and not follow the ambulance because, seeing Bomi in that state would hurt their hearts even more. The ride there, was a long, silent ride as snow poured heavily on that dawn day. Chorong fell asleep due to exhaustion, leaving Eunji and Naeun awake. Glancing at each other, the two held their hands tightly.

"It'll be okay." whispered Eunji with a smile. But it was smile, that hid sadness behind.

"But..."

"We have to stay strong, Naeun-ah. Even in times like this, it's tough but we need to fight this through. Bomi's fighting too. She's fighting to stay alive."

"....Got it...Eunji unnie...." said Naeun, as she wiped her tears. Seeing her cry like that, Eunji's heart fell. But, Chorong's condition worried her the most. The girl had never seen her in such a mentally unstable state. The leader who she had known, who always put a brave shield in front of her gentle, soft, heart, broke everything down in front of everyone. Instead, she was just a girl, who needed all the love and support. She was now, just an ordinary girl who was in deep shock.

 

~X~

 

Back at the dorm, the maknaes were deep in their sleep, oblivious to what was happening. The two had decided to wait for their unnies to return home, but eventually got sleepy and slept together in Namjoo's room. About two hours ago, the maknaes were up and chatting endlessly like normal, high school girls. The two made jokes about their unnies and their relationships, often making up stories and wondering whether they had their first kiss or not. 

It was at that moment, Namjoo's phone started to ring. The older girl who was comfortably sleeping at the side with Hayoung hugging her like a pillow, reached out for the phone that was at the table. The room was dark and it took some time for the sleepy girl to finally get it.

"Hello......?" mumbled Namjoo in a sheepish voice.

"Namjoo-ya."

"Oh....Eunji unnie?"

"Namjoo-ya. Don't be shocked at what I am about to say. But once you hear this, I want you and Hayoung to come to Seoul National Hospital. Bomi got into a car accident."

"Oh my god"

"Namjoo-ya, take care of Hayoung well. Chorong unnie isn't doing too well."

"Y-Yes unnie...." said Namjoo as Eunji hung up. The girl froze for a moment, thinking of what could've happenned to her unnie. A lot of thoughts went through her mind but what mattered now was, she had to keep calm just like what Eunji had said.

"Who called unnie?" mumbled Hayoung with a yawn, waking up to the call.

"Hayoung-ah, we gotta go now."

"Go where?"

"Seoul National Hospital"

"Huh?"

"Bomi unnie got into a car accident."

"WHAT?"

"Eunji unnie said to keep calm. So, let's keep calm." said Namjoo as she pulled her up from the bed and looked into her eyes while taking a deep breath. Hayoung followed her unnie, taking a deep breath as well.

"Unnie...we look like we're doing yoga..." said Hayoung in the middle of the silence.

"BE SERIOUS HAYOUNG-AH!"

"I AM UNNIE!"

Indeed, the maknaes still bickered and fooled around with each other as they each, changed their clothes and got ready to head out to the cold, freezing morning. They were like children who were still in their own, little world, still completely unaware of how serious Bomi's condition was.

 

~X~

 

The clock that hanged on the wall of the operation room, striked 5am as the three girls sat outside restlessly, hoping that it had went well. Their manager, Hyunsoo had just arrived and was informed of everything from Eunji. He had to stop the press from coming in, it was far too late to avoid getting caught on the news anymore. Bomi's parents who were all the way in Suwon, decided to visit her later as they knew it would be too congested to come at this hour, where it was crucial and reporters just flocked outside the hospital building. Staff from Plan A came as well to help out and comfort the girls, it was at moments like these that they felt that their company was like a family. 

"CEO-nim!" said Eunji, surprised to see their CEO at the hospital. By looking from his face, he was very concerned just like a father who found out that her daughter got into a car accident.

"How long has Bomi been in the operating room?" asked the CEO, Choi Jin Ho.

"It's been only one hour...."

Jin Ho could only sigh heavily as he too, sat down together with the girls. He took a glance at each of the girls, hoping that they were fine but from one look, he could tell Chorong suffered the worst out of everything. The girl had gone silent throughout the whole ordeal, her eyes had lost life and it looked like she had fallened into a pit of darkness. Naeun who had always been holding onto her hands, heard every single thoughts that went though her mind. She wanted to avoid hearing it as much as she could, but there was no stopping it. Naeun heard everything that was from Chorong's heart, her confused feelings and elements of negativity that filled her heart. She knew that Chorong was not her normal self.

It was at that moment, Eunji's phone rang and it was none other than Namjoo.

"Hello? Namjoo-ya, where are you?" said Eunji as she picked up the call.

"Unnie...there's too many people outside the hospital...what do we do?"

"I'll ask Hyunsoo oppa to open the way for you. Is Hayoung doing alright?" asked Eunji in worry.

"Huh? What do you mean? She's a bit sleepy and laughs at my jokes..."

"That's good, I'm just worried that hearing her unnie in the operation room might be a bit of a shock to her. After all, she's still a baby..."

"You're right unnie.....How's Bomi right now?"

"She's been in the operating room for an hour now. You two should come up quick."

"Got it." said Namjoo as she hung up. The maknaes were inside a taxi, who stopped at the far corner of the hospital after seeing a large crowd outside. Hayoung had already fallen asleep onto her shoulder so she didn't hear the conversation Namjoo and Eunji were having. The older girl looked at the maknae who slept soundly, and smiled.

"You're so lucky to have all the unnies protecting and worrying about you, Hayoung-ah." mumbled Namjoo to herself. Looking at the maknae who seemed to have slept without any worry in the world, somehow made her heart lighter as she prepared herself for the worst to come. Soon, Hyunsoo came out and cleared the crowd to make way for the two maknaes into the hospital. There was no stopping the reporters from taking photographs and white flashes in the early morning. Certainly, a great wake up call. By the time they had arrived, the doctor was already talking to the other members in a calm manner as Bomi's bed was dragged out by the nurses, passing by the maknaes who wanted to see her face but was completely blocked by the staff.

"The collision had a great impact on her head. She has sustained severe injuries to her body especially the ribs but it will take time to heal."

"Will she wake up, doctor-nim?" asked Eunji.

The doctor looked down, his hands placed in front as he sighed.

"It would be quite hard to say. I'm sorry. We did the best we could. Bomi-ssi is currently in a comatose state but she is out of danger. It would take a miracle if she were to wake up. But please, remain positive. Miracles like these do happen, when the time comes."

Hearing the doctor's words, it was like the whole world had fallen apart.

"T-Thank you doctor...for trying your best....you've worked hard." said Eunji, trying to absorb the words she had just heard as she bowed, watching the doctor take his leave. It was then, a hand placed onto her shoulder. Turning around, it was her CEO, Choi Jin Ho.

"You and all the girls should go home and rest first. It must've been a long day and many of you are still in shock. It will take time for us to take in this shocking news but me and the rest of the staff here will take care of it. Hyunsoo will fetch you girls home."

"CEO-nim..."

At times, he was Eunji's drinking buddy. On other days, he was just her boss. But today, he was like a father. It was at a time like this that, Eunji felt the courage to stand strong when their leader has fallen. She knew that she wasn't alone and she could fight this together with everyone else.

"Got it, CEO-nim."

"Take care of Chorong too. I heard she saw everything happen in front of her eyes." whispered Jin Ho as he glanced at Chorong who stared blankly with an emotionless expression.

"I'll handle everything as the third eldest. Thank you, CEO-nim." said Eunji with a sad smile as she gathered the kids together, ordering them to follow Hyunsoo back into the van as they drove back home. The girls were exhausted and immediately just collapsed at their dormitory the moment they came back. After all, they were up all night and had to undergo such an emotional rollercoaster. There was just so many things on their mind, worries, emotions, everything that spilled within a second. Within just a blink of a eye, it was already 2pm.

For once, there was silence in the dorm. The first person to wake up, was surprisingly, Jung Eunji. At first instinct, she went to check on Chorong, silently opening her door to see her fast asleep like a baby. But she could tell from her puffy eyes that her unnie was crying in her sleep. After that, Eunji proceeded to check up on the maknaes who somehow decided to sleep together. She smiled, finding it cute. The last room was Naeun's. Carefully entering her room, the girl didn't even change her clothes and just collapsed on her bed. Noticing that she wasn't sleeping straight, Eunji fixed her posture and gently placed her feet back up. 

"Sleep well." whispered Eunji as she fixed Naeun's hair and left the room.

Like a father who checked on the kids, Eunji headed out to the kitchen and started getting busy. Without Chorong around, she took out some leftover bread and made sandwiches with whatever ingredients that was left in the fridge. Packing them into a small box and leaving a small note, the girl then left the dorm. She had only one thing in her mind, Bomi. Of course, it would've been best to have everyone to visit her but she wanted to let the girls rest. 

"Hello? Oppa? Oh yea, I'm on my way." said Eunji on the call as she walked outside under the cold weather, waiting for Hyunsoo to fetch her there.

 

~X~

 

About two hours later, Naeun woke up. She remembered very clearly that she slept without the blanket as she was too tired to even lift it up but, here she was, neatly tucked in bed like a child under a warm blanket. There was only one person who would've done that, Eunji unnie. After washing herself up, she proceeded to head into Namjoo's room but noticed the lunch boxes on the table with a small note on it.

"Whoever sees this first, eat the breakfast(it's actually lunch but whatever) that I've prepared you. I'll be heading to the hospital first, you guys come later. Hyunsoo oppa will be ready to fetch you. - Eunji "

The girl could feel warmth, packed into those sandwiches and smiled, thinking of her unnie. With her feet walking to Namjoo's room, she opened the door and sighed, looking at the maknaes who cuddled in each in their sleep.

"You two sure look very comfortable...." stared Naeun as she pulled the blanket over and viciously shook the girls up.

"Wake up~~~~Namjoo-ya~~~~Hayoung-ah~~~~~~~" said Naeun. But the girls did not even budge. Her voice was just too soft and gentle unlike the way how Chorong would wake them up.

"What do I do?" mumbled Naeun as she stared at them with her arms crossed. It was then, an idea struck into her mind.

"If you don't wake up, I'll eat up all of your breakfast and I'll throw away your gaming laptop." 

Immediately, the two maknaes woke up at the same time. Eyes wide open, and their heads turning directly at Naeun.

"WE ARE AWAKE!" said the two of them in unison. Naeun could only laugh, finding it hilarious. Thanks to the maknaes, her worries got lighter as she walked towards Chorong unnie's room to wake her up. Her smile disappeared as she opened the door, seeing her unnie curled up like a ball, puffy eyes from crying all night and she didn't even wash herself. It was a first, seeing her unnie in such a state that it broke her heart. 

"Why can't Chorong unnie just admit that she loves Bomi unnie?" mumbled Naeun to herself in frustration as she carefully walked to her, placing her hand on her shoulder and gently tapping it.

"Unnie....wake up.....we should head to the hospital now...." 

It took a while before the five girls got ready to head out, the maknaes diligently ate the sandwiches that Eunji had prepared in the van. There was silence in the vehicle as they drove to Seoul National Hospital on that afternoon day. The younger members noticed that Chorong didn't touch her sandwich at all and simply just stared silently out at the window.

"Unnie...you should at least eat something...." said Naeun.

"That's right unnie, otherwise you won't have any energy" said Namjoo.

"I'll feed you." said Hayoung.

"No...it's okay....I have no appetite..." said Chorong in a weak voice.

The girls could do nothing but to watch her unnie like that. After all, they were scared to force-feed her and they didn't want to make her mood even worse. It was at times like this, only Bomi would be able make Chorong feel better. In the midst of the silence, Namjoo went online and found the news articles that were posted everywhere. Netizens were sending in their worries and prayers that Bomi will get well. Her social media accounts were also flooded with a lot of comments from fans expressing their worry and asking if she was alright. Reading them, Namjoo was thankful to the fans as it made her feel that she wasn't alone.

Upon the arrival at the hospital, the reporters had all disappeared and made it easier for Apink to enter. Heading up to the eighth floor of the wards into a small, room, there she was. Bomi, her eyes closed, bandages wrapped over her head and body as huge tubes were attached to her from a huge machine that showed her heartbeat lines. Eunji had been sitting in the room for awhile now and was glad to see her members again.

"How's Bomi unnie doing?" asked Namjoo.

Eunji shook her head with a frown. There was only silence in reply.

"The doctor told us to stay positive. It may take months, years, but the chances of Bomi waking up again is possible." said Eunji.

"He's right, we shouldn't be acting so down. We can't always be sad!" said Namjoo.

"Let's take turns and visit Bomi everyday, even when we are busy." said Naeun.

"I'm sure that Bomi unnie is just in a deep sleep like sleeping beauty" said Hayoung.

"Omo, so you're saying someone needs to kiss her to wake her up?" said Namjoo.

"No~ I didn't mean in that way..." pouted Hayoung.

The sombre mood was slightly lighter thanks to the positivity of the girls. But Eunji had been keeping her eyes on Chorong for a long time, she was the only one who did not react at all. Instead, the girl had been staring blankly at Bomi the whole time. Eunji knew that she had to do something.

"Anyways, our CEO will be coming over to brief us about our future. It will take some time so, Chorong unnie. I need to talk to you, outside." said Eunji as her expression turned serious. The older girl didn't even respond to her. This caused Eunji to forcefully hold Chorong's arm and drag her out of the room. The three other girls just looked on as the door closed. 

"Eunji unnie is really awesome..." said Hayoung quietly.

"She isn't scared of talking back to Chorong unnie. I hope Chorong unnie gets better.." said Namjoo in worry.

"The only one who can heal Chorong unnie is Eunji unnie." said Naeun, putting her faith in her. The three kids were anxious and each, gathered at the side of the door, hoping to eavesdrop the conversation outside.

 

~X~

 

Outside Bomi's ward, in the middle of the empty corridor, it was just the two girls who faced each other.

"Unnie." said Eunji in a serious tone, looking directly into her eyes. But there was no response.

"Honestly, how long are you going to behave like that?"

"......."

"Are you going to keep being like that forever? Where is the leader that I had always admired and respected? Where is that strong girl who was always optimistic?

"......"

"Wow, this really isn't going anywhere." sighed Eunji as the older girl just stared at the ground.

"That's it. Look at me." said Eunji as she grabbed Chorong's shoulders and look directly into her eyes. She could easily see tears forming in the older girl.

"I know why Bomi was out there in Han River. She confessed to you didn't she? You were confused why she's been ignoring you the past few days right? Yes, be angry at me. It was my idea."

"Eunji-ya...." said Chorong who finally spoke one word as the tears she held in, finally flowed down her cheeks.

"This is also my fault. Bomi's an idiot to be walking out in Han River in the middle of the night and I should've predicted that she would've done something like that. But, she did such risky things because she loves you! Why can't you understand that? It's just so obvious!" said Eunji, raging out in frustration.

"It's....my fault......"

"Huh?"

"If...I didn't walk away......If I didn't cross that road.....this wouldn't have happened to Bomi......it's my fault.....I am a murderer....." 

"Unnie..." said Eunji as she was surprised, to hear what had actually happened.

"That's why...I should accept the consequence right....it doesn't matter what happens to me anymore...." mumbled Chorong to herself.

"W-What are you saying unnie? This...isn't you...."

"I submitted it."

"Huh?"

"The wish. I wished that Bomi would wake up again, as if nothing happened to her. I...have no regrets....."

"Wait. What?! Unnie! What did you just do?!" said Eunji completely flustered as she checked Chorong, searching her pockets and found her phone. She really did it. In her logs, Chorong did send a wish through a message. 

It was at that moment, the three girls suddenly bursted out in the corridor.

"UNNIE! BOMI UNNIE IS AWAKE!" shouted Namjoo but later paused, noticing the situation that was in front of her eyes.

"Unnie, have you gone crazy? Have you gone insane? Do you know what you've just done?" bursted out Eunji in frustration, anger and worry.

"I deserve whatever that will happen." said Chorong, tears still flowing down.

"W-What happened?" said Hayoung, confused. The other girls could only look on, as they could only silently watch their unnies.

"There was no other way."

"I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about you! We don't even know what's going to happen next and you're still going to do it? It's all a trick to continue to sick game of god knows what wish this does!"

"It doesn't matter anymore."

"Unnie!"

"I love her! What can I do?!" shouted Chorong as she confessed her actual feelings.

The girls froze, stunned to hear the older girl's sudden confession out loud.

"U-Unnie...." said Eunji, shocked to the point she forgot what she was going to say as Chorong walked past her, entering straight into Bomi's ward.

"She's crazy. Fine, be that way. I don't care what happens to you." sighed Eunji in frustration, heading to the wall as she punched it with her fist.

"Unnie, calm down." said Naeun, quickly approaching the still, angry girl.

"How can I calm down? Miracles can't just happen by wishing. Sure, it's great news that Bomi is awake but it just means something worst is going to happen.We should really end this stupid game. It will only bring us more harm."

"Unnie..." There was nothing else Naeun could say but hold onto her hands. It was the truth. The more the girls used their wishes, the more dangerous it would become.

"But when did Chorong unnie even recieved that message....?" said Hayoung in thought.

"Unnie always does a lot of things in secret. Bet she didn't even want us to know too." sighed Namjoo.

 

~X~

 

In Bomi's ward, it was just the two of them. Thanks to the miracle wish, Bomi's eyes were open as it stared blankly at the ceiling. Her senses were returning slowly as she could feel the sudden rush of pain, numbing her entire body. Her vision was still blurry but she could tell that she was at a hospital.

"Wow, this really hurts. I can't feel myself...It's hard to breathe....My legs won't move.....You sure got yourself into big trouble Yoon Bomi" thought Bomi to herself who laid helplessly. She could still fully remember what had happened. It was fresh in her mind. Those few seconds of saving Chorong, pushing her off to the side and getting hit by the car instead, it repeated constantly like a movie.

It was then, there was a blurry vision of girl in front of her. She seemed very familiar, her long hair and cute facial features. Why does this scene seem so familiar as if it had happened before? But Bomi could tell at once, it was her. Her unnie, the girl she loved and confessed to. Even though she could not move her body, she could smile weakly, feeling relieved that she was saved.

"Bomi-ya..." said Chorong as she rubbed her eyes.

Bomi wanted to talk. She wanted to let her voice out. She wanted to ask her so many questions. But she was locked, because of her injuries. The more she forced herself to move , the more it hurt. She wanted to hear an answer. It was all that mattered to her. Whether it was a yes or no, she needed to know no matter what.

"I....love you too...." said Chorong with a sad smile, finally accepting the confusion that bordered her heart. Within those days, she realised that love has no limits. It was absolutely fine for a woman to love another woman, because love has no boundaries.

Hearing her answer, Bomi was relieved. She wanted to just stand up and hug her, wrap her in her arms, kiss her, protect her and do everything she could to stop her unnie from crying. She wanted to scream from the bottom of her lungs that she loved her too, to tell her that it was okay, to tell her that she could lean on her to cry, but she couldn't. Bomi was trapped in her paralyzed body and all she could do was smile. She was happy. She was happy that Chorong finally accepted her heart.

Meanwhile at the corridor outside the ward, the three girls were each trying their best to calm down the still, slightly angered Eunji. They had never seen their unnie in such a rage before. It was then, a man had arrived.

"What's with all the ruckus?" asked the man. It was their CEO, Choi Jin Ho.

"Ah, CEO-nim! Good evening...." said the three girls as they each bowed.

"Bomi's awake." said Eunji.

"What?"

"It's not a miracle. Chorong unnie sent a wish, that's why."

"Hmm..." said the CEO as he stared at the ground, as if he was planning to announce something.

"What's wrong CEO-nim?" asked Namjoo.

"Things got complicated at the company. We've been discussing for awhile now and it's been come down to a decision. Even if Bomi's awake and out from her coma, the plan will not change." said Choi Jin Ho in a serious tone.

"I'm sorry girls. I did my best but our financial state will not help." sighed the man as he bowed.

"What do you mean? Why are you bowing sir?" asked Hayoung.

"Apink will disband." confessed Choi Jin Ho.

 

[END OF CHAPTER 9]

 

 

A/N: Is this the consequence of Chorong's wish? What will happen?! Do share your thoughts of what you think will happen next! Thank you for reading and subscribing! I will try my best to update soon~