Chapter 3

Breathe

 

 

"When the darkness comes over me, show me the way,

Please trust me no matter what,

Let me lean on you and cope,

when I want to cry in pain" - Apink, The Wave

 

 

 

Chapter 3

 

 

Eunji immediately headed straight home, walking with quick steps to reach the dorm that was 15 minutes away. She knew how Chorong would've felt, she had to be there for her. There was a sense of worry and anxiety that surrounded her heart, thoughts of where Hayoung could be, what the other members would feel and how this could all affect their upcoming schedules and work. In a way, Eunji understood how much pressure a leader would have, especially through considering these many factors. Soon enough, the girl arrived and pushed the door opened, hoping to not see the scene that she had pictured in her mind. Luckily, it wasn't. In fact, the girl was surprised.

In her sight, was a calm Chorong on the phone, talking to their manager as Naeun wrote down small notes beside, listening to their conversation. 

"Indeed, I really can't predict her. She's really the leader I respect." mumbled Eunji to herself with a relieving smile as she walked into the living room, lifting her black cap upwards as Naeun placed her finger over her lips, signalling her not to say anything. The girl simply nodded, completely understanding what it mean as she sat beside her.

"No, please don't call the police to investigate this CEO-nim. This is just going to be even messier. Let us handle this problem ourselves." spoke Chorong calmly, glancing at Eunji who just arrived and smiled, to give assurance.

"Bomi unnie and Namjoo should be coming back soon. Rong unnie said that we all need to talk." whispered Naeun to Eunji who nodded without a worry. 

"But are you feeling okay Naeun-ah? If it's a bit too overwhelming to take in, tell me okay?" said Eunji as she lightly patted her head.

"What, I'm not a child. I can handle this, no problem." pouted Naeun.

"But you're still my cute dongsaeng." smiled Eunji as she pinched her left cheek. But she could already notice Chorong glancing at her with a straight expression, while still on the phone. Just by a simple stare, the kids kept quiet and allowed the leader to talk to their CEO until it was all over. By the time, everyone had returned home and gathered at the living room with the obvious missing presence of their maknae, Hayoung.

"So, Hayoung seriously became invisible?!" said Bomi in astonishment.

"Unnie, your expression doesn't seem worried at all....." said Namjoo.

"Don't mind her, your unnie is always fascinated at these magical things." said Eunji.

"I spoke to the CEO and he gave us one week to solve this problem by ourselves. If we can't get Hayoung to be visible again, the company has to take action to do something. I don't know how but we can't let that happen. As for now, we will cover Hayoung's absence as being sick but I know our fans will soon catch up whats wrong. Our schedule tommorow is still on, or rather we can't keep cancelling everything so we have to do our parts in place of Hayoung's." said Chorong. The five girls nodded in silence, hearing their leader loud and clear.

"But the problem is, we need to find where Hayoung is even though she is invisible." said Eunji.

"What if that girl's been here the whole time, watching us quietly?" mumbled Naeun to herself.

"UNNIE, DON'T SAY SOMETHING SO SCARY." said Namjoo in a loud, terrified voice to which the unnies simply laughed. Thanks to her, the mood was lighter and less tense.

"Let's try and communicate with our invisible maknae then." smiled Eunji.

"But how?" asked Chorong.

"Hayoung-ah! If you are here, tap on the wall twice!" shouted Eunji out loud. At first, there was a long silence but suddenly, a thud sound could be heard against the wall even though there was nothing hitting it.

"See?" laughed Eunji in relief while the other girls simply had chills and got scared.

"U-unnie, you sure you weren't actually talking to a ghost right?" said Namjoo, slightly uncomfortable.

"What? Hayoung's gonna be angry if she hears this. Right, Hayoung-ah?" said Eunji to which the wall responded with two taps.

"Wow, so Hayoung is really invisible?! Omg!" said Bomi, suddenly forgetting her fear as she moved to wall, simply in awe and touched it.

"This pabo, you look stupid trying to interact with the wall." laughed Eunji.

"Bomi-ya, you pabo...." sighed Chorong with a laugh.

"But we need to find another way to talk with Hayoung and not just by tapping on the wall...." said Eunji in thought to which Naeun suddenly stood up, went into her room and came back with a marker pen and empty sketchbook. The girl placed it on the ground, near the wall where she assumed Hayoung was standing.

"This may look weird because I will look like I'm talking to a wall but Hayoung-ah, use this sketchbook and write your thoughts. Use this to talk with us." said Naeun.

The girls looked on in astonishment as if they were watching a magic show. The sketchbook and pen suddenly lifted in the air by itself, and started to write by itself. The very first words that the maknae wrote was

 

"This is really fun. Ha. Ha."

 

"Hey! This isn't a time to be joking!" shouted Eunji, as she randomly threw the sofa pillow towards the empty wall.

 

"Okay, I'm sorry unnie...."

 

"But at least, we know where Hayoung is now. I mean, what could go wrong?" said Bomi to which both Chorong and Eunji stared at her, as if she said something wrong.

"W-Why are the two of you looking at me like that?" stuttered Bomi, wondering if she said something dumb again.

"Lots of things can go wrong." sighed Chorong.

"Anyways unnies, let's just take our time and solve the problem slowly. It's getting late and we have a schedule tommorow." said Namjoo, trying to lift the mood up.

"That's right, maybe tommorow we'll find a way to get Hayoung to become visible again." said Naeun, agreeing with Namjoo. The unnies agreed as well, it was already past 2am and the girls had to wake up early to have their hair, make-up done as well for the jacket shooting for their upcoming album and a performance later that night. They had to cope with life even though Hayoung is invisible. This was their reality.

The girls each took their turns, showering and changing before settling themselves in their comfortable clothes and off to their dreamland. But it was only three hours later, they had to wake up and arrive at the salon.

"Hayoung isn't here today?" asked one of their stylists noticing only five girls.

"She's sick so she won't be able to make it for the schedules" said Chorong, with an assuring smile. But within that smile, was a sense of concern. No one knows when Hayoung will be back nor how long they can keep this a secret from everyone.

The salon was soon quiet as the girls dozed off again while the staff did their hair and make-up. Eventually, shooting began and went for about 5 hours before they had to leave for the performance. The only time they could take a breather was the ride to and fro their schedules. In a flash, the day was over and the girls found themselves back at the dorm again. But the girls got scared, as a sketchbook simply floated in the air with the words 

 

"How was it today unnies? :) "

 

"Ah, that really scared me. Don't do that Hayoung-ah!" said Namjoo, catching her breath.

"This kid thinks shes having fun. Don't you know that we are trying hard to try and make you visible again?" sighed Eunji as she snatched the sketchbook away and looked up, assuming that Hayoung was standing in front of her. Judging from her expression, it was obvious that she was angry and upset that Hayoung thinks that it is all a game. It was then, the older girl could feel someone hugging her. No doubt, it was the comfort of her maknae even though it seemed like there was no one in front of her.

"Sorry for causing the trouble unnie....Honestly, I am scared. I don't want to be invisible forever but I thought that I should be cheerful and bright because I'm the maknae that's why....." said Hayoung, as she realised that her voice could be heard. The bright maknae from before suddenly broke down, fully revealing her true feelings towards the situation.

"Hayoung-ah...are you.....crying?" asked Eunji who could feel her embrace, slightly trembling.

"Omo unnie, did you just make our maknae cry?" said Namjoo staring at her unnie.

"W-What? No! H-Hayoung-ah, why are you crying?" said Eunji, flustered.

"Don't you know that your expression can be really scary when you get serious? Hayoung probably got scared and cried." sighed Chorong, silently hitting Eunji as a punishment as she went to her, where she assumed Hayoung was.

"Hayoung-ah, don't worry. We'll find out a way soon so just enjoy being invisible. You said it was your dream before right? Let the unnies handle this okay?" said Chorong in a motherly tone. It was the exact way as to how a mother would comfort a child who admit her wrongdoings.

"Hayoung's hugging you right? Then, we should all hug Eunji then." said Bomi as she wrapped her arms around Chorong and Eunji, pulling them closer.

"Omo, what are you doing Bom-ah?" said Chorong flustered to feel so intimate with the two girls to the point where she could feel them breathing. The girls didn't know what to do, in order to comfort their crying maknae whom they could not see. All they could, was hug each other, wrapping their arms around Eunji. Six girls in a tight embrace, as they could feel each other's warmth, it gave them strength and realised that they had each other. 

For awhile, there was long silence as all they could hear was Hayoung's quiet sobs. They had realised that despite her invisbility, they can hear their maknae talk which made communication much easier. The mystery was, why didn't Hayoung talked earlier in the first place? 

"So...how long are we going to be like this? I'm about to die." joked Eunji, squeezed in between the four girls.

"Right. Are you okay now Hayoung-ah?" said Chorong as she removed herself from the embrace, in which the rest followed along.

"I can breathe." sighed Eunji with a laugh.

"I have an idea unnie." said Hayoung.

"What is it?"

"I've noticed that Bomi unnie and I were asked to write our wishes. That means, the chance would eventually come to either the four of you. So when that chance comes, someone can write "I wish Hayoung is visible again". I think it might work unnie." said Hayoung to which the unnies just stared at each other.

"As expected of our smart maknae.....this is a brilliant idea!" said Eunji, with a proud smile.

"I didn't even think of that..." said Naeun, slightly confused.

"But who would be the next chosen one?" wondered Namjoo.

"Either way, we have to try. I don't know how they are going to choose us but when the chance comes, write the wish to make Hayoung visible again. It is our only option." said Chorong to which the kids nodded obediently.

"Then, all we need is to wait. No point worrying over nothing." said Bomi with confidence. The girls agreed and simply continued on with their daily lives. Apink had no schedules the next day, so there was a sense of relief and relaxation among the team. Deep into the night, the girls were doing their own things as usual. Naeun cuddled herself in the room lit with aromatic candles while reading books quietly, Eunji left for the gym again, Namjoo headed out to meet with her college friends leaving behind the two older unnies alone in the living room.

It hasn't been long since Bomi turned back to an adult and she was still experiencing weird side effects, staring blankly at the television that flashed a drama as Chorong watched closely, sitting beside her. The older girl quietly munched onto some leftover snacks she found in the fridge, not wanting to let it go to waste. The younger girl on the hand, silently glanced at the girl who ate. For some reason, she smiled.

"Want some?" asked Chorong with food still stuffed in as she offered Bomi some.

"Don't talk with your mouth full Chorong-ah." teased Bomi as she spoke informally while taking a piece.

"Hey!" 

"Okay, sorry~ it's just that you looked so serious watching the drama~" pouted Bomi as she got hit by Chorong on the shoulder.

"I honestly have a lot of things on my mind. I can't really focus on what I'm watching actually." confessed the girl.

"Unnie..."

"I mean, what if that wish never comes? What if we are going to be stuck like this forever? What if....Hayoung-" before the girl could even say anything else, Bomi quickly placed her hand over Chorong's mouth and shook her head with a frown.

"You can't let our maknae hear that. You don't even know if she's even here unnie....be careful..." whispered Bomi.

The older girl could only respond with a sigh as she looked down. It was obviously shown that the leader was worried. Everything she had said earlier, was an act. She knew that she had to be strong, and thus, created a shield between her actual feelings. But the only one who was able to see through that protective layer, was Bomi. 

Watching the girl's expressions turn dark, Bomi lightly caressed her hair and smiled as a way to provide comfort, with her hand over hers.

"I know it's hard at times, having to be strong for the dongsaengs. But when you're with me, be yourself. Scream at me, shout at me, cry on my shoulder, do everything that will let out your stress, unnie. I want you to feel better. I want you to feel happier."

Chorong looked into the girl's eyes, she was surprised to see this side of her. It was no longer the foolish girl who played around or got embarrassed at her own jokes, it was Yoon Bomi. Because of her mature words, it made her to trust her more. Even though she had carried the burden of being Apink's leader throughout these six years, there was someone who was willing to share that burden with her.

"Omo...since when were you like that Bom-ah?" said Chorong slightly embarrassed by her words. For some reason, her heart thumped faster than usual.

"W-What? I didn't say anything~" said Bomi as she broke into a nervous laughter, cringing herself while hiding behind a pillow. The image she had before, immediately shattered and she was back to the usual, Bomi that everyone knew. Feeling shy, the girl randomly kicked her feet and tried to avoid eye contact with Chorong.

"Gosh, stop kicking and making a mess!" said Chorong with a laugh.

"Right, sorry madam." said Bomi as she suddenly sat up straight with an expressionless face. This caused Chorong to break into a cheery laughter, finding her actions hilarious. Seeing her laugh, the younger girl was happy and glad to see her unnie smile again.

 

"As long as she is happy, I'm happy." 

 

 

~X~

 

 

 

Back in Naeun's bedroom that was shared with Hayoung, the girl was in peace, comfortably spreading her legs out while reading her books as the wonderful aroma of the candles spread throughout the room. Although she could hear Chorong and Bomi laughing outside the living room, it didn't bother her much as she plugged her earphones in and was fully immersed in the music. 

"Unnie, you still write things in your diary don't you?" said a voice suddenly in the middle of nowhere that scared Naeun.

"That scared me! Don't do that Hayoung-ah!" said Naeun as she removed her earphones and looked around, wondering where would Hayoung be.

"Don't bother finding me and just read your books unnie."

"It's going to be boring if you just stay here Hayoung-ah."

"I know. You live a pretty boring life." said Hayoung with a laugh.

"Hey~~~" said Naeun in objection.

"Okay, sorry unnie. But I think you're going to kill me if I tell you this."

"What?" 

"I read your diary unnie. I mean, when I was all alone in the dorm."

"Hayoung-ah, why did you even-"

"Hold on! I have an explaination! It wasn't on purpose!"

 

 

[FLASHBACK]

 

 

The unnies left the dorm early in the morning, leaving behind Hayoung as she was invisible. The girl was obedient and followed whatever her unnies said.

"Don't go anywhere and just stay here. There's leftover food in the fridge if you're hungry and please don't cause any trouble until we get you fixed."

Hayoung had almost 12 hours of being by herself. But of course, she had her own plans of keeping her entertained that was her prized laptop where she would play video games. The problem however was, the wireless mouse was missing. The laptop wasn't a personal one. In fact, she shared it with her roommate, Naeun. Walking back into the bedroom that was in a complete mess, the maknae searched everywhere, wondering where the mouse could be. Rummaging through shelves, desks and even their beds that were full of plushies and toys gifted by their fans, it was like a treasure hunt. Among the neatly-stacked books by Naeun's bedside, Hayoung finally found the wireless mouse tucked away in the far corner. However, the wires were tangled and all over the place.

"Unnie really is a messy person. I pray for whoever is going to marry her." sighed Hayoung as she attempted to untangled the wires. However at some point, the wires fell and pushed one of the books onto the bed. It was a pink book with plently of sticky-notes decorated all over, evidence that it belonged to a rather, girlish girl. Of course, the maknae could have chosen to simply put the book back to its right place. But, curiosity kills the cat.

Hayoung picked the pink book up and flipped it through. It contain written thoughts of her unnie, since debut until now. 

"Omo, Naeun unnie should be a writer in the future." mumbled Hayoung to herself.

However, there was a page that caught her eye. Especially an interesting word that was "Eunji unnie".

"These days, Eunji unnie seems to be so focused on going to the gym so much.....

There were so many chances, but yet I failed to do so. I wonder why I can't bring myself to say it, it's not like I'm talking to my boyfriend or anything. Why can't I just stop her from getting out of that door and say those simple words? I can't bring myself to tell her things that I wanted to. I'm so disappointed in myself.....

Okay! I'll try it again tommorow! I should....maybe...."

 

[END OF FLASHBACK]

 

Hayoung who fully memorized what Naeun had wrote, said it out loud for her unnie to hear. This of course, made the girl embarrassed and shy. Her face was already as red as a tomato.

"S-Stop!! Stop saying that Hayoung-ah!" said Naeun as she covered her ears.

Hayoung on the other hand, was having a great time teasing her unnie. She loved seeing this side of her, even though it was her fault in the beginning to check her private diary.

"I will stop saying it, if you promise me something." said Hayoung with a smirk.

"Ah, seriously....Oh Hayoung...."

"So continuing from what I was saying..."

"Okay! Fine! Just stop Hayoung-ah!"

The maknae laughed out loud as she finally stopped.

"I'll be looking forward to see a new computer on that desk over there. Thank you unnie."

"Ah, seriously Oh Hayoung...you are so going to get it...."

"But unnie, what is it that you wanted to say to Eunji unnie that it is so difficult?"

"Well....."

"Unnie...don't tell me you're..."

"No! D-Don't get the wrong idea, please." said Naeun as her face turned even redder than before.

"Omo unnie, I should take a picture of this. Your face is so red. It's cute!" 

"Stop it Hayoung-ah!"

"Okay, fine. So?"

"Remember Eunji unnie had a back disc problem? I'm worried whether she might hurt herself by going to the gym so often...."

"Uh huh......"

There was a silence in between.

"D-Don't just sit there Hayoung-ah. Say something!"

"I mean....it's just something so simple but you can't say it to her?"

"I know...I must be an idiot...."

"Naeun unnie is so cute, heck if I was your boyfriend, I'll protect you at all costs. Well, there's nothing wrong asking Eunji unnie about that. But I know she rarely talks about her own problems, even to Chorong unnie. So, I think I understand why it would be difficult to ask her."

"As expected, I can always rely on you roommate."

"I'm not called Oh Ha~young~ for nothing~"

"Ah, there you go again with that...you've been hanging around with Bomi unnie too much."

"Shall I continue reading that text you wrote in your diary?"

"I take that back."

Even though Hayoung was invisible, Naeun felt that she was talking to her like normal. The two chatted for a long time, with jokes and threats in between, it was another moment where they bonded closer.

 

 

~X~

 

 

It is already past midnight and Namjoo had returned home, Eunji on the other hand was still at the gym. The girl was diligent. Her body was covered in sweat as she took deep breaths, working out endlessly. Her trainer watched her with a proud smile, amazed at the girl's ability.

"Great work today Eunji-ya. I love your passion and making an effort to visit the gym. But always remember, you shouldn't overwork yourself. Look at the time, I think you should head home for today." said the trainer.

"Alright oppa, I got it." smiled Eunji as she took her towel and wrapped it around her neck, walking to the showering room. The gym was empty, everyone had gone home and was about to close so the girl sang as much as she wanted to. Coming out after a refreshing bath, the girl noticed a light blinking from her phone that indicated a notification.

"Hm? Who would text me at this late hour?" mumbled Eunji to herself as she grabbed her phone. Eunji was the last one behind. Sliding her finger across the screen, a message appeared.

 

" Dear Jung Eunji, have you ever thought of something and wished it could happen? Worry not, we can make that come true! Type in your wish, we will not disappoint you!"

 

The girl simply scoffed at the screen, finding it rather funny.

"So, this was the message they were talking about huh? It totally looks like a scam. I wonder why those two would fall for it?" mumbled Eunji to herself. It was then, she remembered what Hayoung had suggested earlier that day. This was the only way to make Hayoung visible again. The girl typed in exactly what they had discussed.

 

"I wish that Hayoung was visible again."

 

Eunji then clicked send, hoping that this message would solve everything. By that time, the clock striked 2am and back at the dorm, Hayoung and Naeun were still chatting with each other until something miraculous happened. Naeun stared, as if she was watching a magic show. Slowly, Hayoung's body started to appear starting from her feet all the way to her head. Finally able to see the maknae again, Naeun quickly hugged her unconciously. She missed seeing her so much.

"You're finally back!" said Naeun as she wrapped her arms tightly around the maknae.

"So it really worked! I wonder who made the wish..." said Hayoung, smiling brightly as she was overjoyed to become normal again. The two went out into the living room, letting the unnies and Namjoo know what had happened. Everyone was glad and relieved. However, all five girls suddenly received a notification from their phones. Checking the message, they were confused.

 

"Oh dear, looks like you have broken the rules for playing this game. You shall face the consequences. Enjoy!"

 

"What the hell is this supposed to mean?!" shouted Bomi.

"Hey, don't curse!" said Chorong as she hit her.

It was at that moment, Chorong's phone began to ring. The caller was "Meungji"

The girl had a bad feeling the moment she saw her name, perhaps this really wasn't the end.

"Hello? Eunji-ya?"

"U-Unnie....please come to the gym quick....." Eunji's voice was not her usual, bright self. It was voice that screamed of pain.

"What happened Eunji-ya?!"

"I don't know....I sent the message and suddenly.....I can't feel my legs....."

 

 

[END OF CHAPTER 3]

 

 

A/N: Oh no, what has happened to Eunji?! Do share your theories of what you think happened! This chapter was a mix of chomi/hana/2eun, of course, there will be more moments coming soon~ Thank you for reading! I will try my best to update soon!