Chapter 8

Breathe

 

"In a little while, when we are farther apart,

If I can see your face in a distance,

Can I stand before you?,

While trembling in happiness,

My cheeks flush red" - Apink, Ding Dong

 

Chapter 8

 

No one had expected it, a kiss between the two members that nobody thought that it could've happened. The two girls seemed rather surprised and laughed at each other, wanting to hide their faces out of embarassment as Hayoung and Namjoo took over the MC, measuring the piece. It was obvious that the winner was Chorong and Naeun. The fanmeeting continued as usual, after the "accident", as they had to show their professional selves in front of their fans. They can talk about that incident later, backstage. Performances continued, until their last song, singing The Wave, a song for their fans where the pandas prepared a touching event, holding banners that expressed their support as no matter what, they will be there for Apink. The girls were touched, as some cried with a grateful heart while the others held in their tears. It was these moments on the stage, where they told themselves that they had no regrets becoming a singer. They had no regrets becoming Apink.

After bidding their final farewell to their fans, as the lift slowly brought the girls back down into the backstage, there were mixed emotions left inside their hearts. Because of the scandal, they may never know when they will be able to stand on stage again. Could this be the last time they would dance together? Or is there a possibility that they can see that same, beautiful, pink, ocean in front of their eyes one more time? With these thoughts flowing into their minds, Chorong tightly held onto the hands beside her which was Bomi and Eunji. This caused an effect as they each started holding their hands, forming a circle as they closed their eyes for a moment. That one second that meant everything, that one second of strength that gave them hope. A moment that strengthened their bond, even stronger.

 

~X~

 

Apink were on their way back to their hotel after their fanmeeting, ready to leave the next day. In the van, there was silence as the girls were exhausted. Bomi and Eunji couldn't sleep and felt uncomfortable as the thought of Chorong and Naeun's kiss lingered in their minds. Hayoung on the other hand, looked at the sleeping Namjoo unnie, wondering about her words before. But in the midst of all these, Naeun heard everything. It was at times like these, the girl wished that she could stop hearing these voices in her head. It was to the point where she really didn't care what other people were thinking in their hearts, but every single secret was revealed to her and she can't run away from it. But she knew that she had to bear with it, living with this annoying ability was much better than having any of her members to get hurt from this weird, wishing phenomenon.

At the hotel, the girls were seperated into their rooms. Chorong and Naeun in one, Bomi and Eunji in another while the maknaes had the last room. In Nacho's room, it was silent as usual. The two members had similiar personalities and matched each other well. They each did their own thing and were comfortable, despite the kiss accident they had.

"Naeun-ah."

"Yes unnie?"

"Are you okay with what happened today?"

"Hm? Like what?"

"T-The kiss" said Chorong as she laughed nervously.

"Ah, that? It's nothing really. I mean, even when I acted in dramas, kissing isn't really a problem."

"True...I filmed a kissing scene too so I know what you mean"

"Unnie, i remember how Bomi unnie reacted to your kiss scene in that drama. It's hilarious."

"What? Plus Nine Boys?" laughed Chorong as the two spent the night, chatting away.

Back at the maknae's room, Hayoung kept observing Namjoo who was busy using her phone, while lounging on the bed.

"You're making it too obvious Hayoung-ah" said Namjoo while her eyes still stayed focused on her phone.

"I knew it." said Hayoung as she gave up. Her unnie knew every single corner of her. There was no escape.

"What's up? Something bothering you? Or is it....what I think it is....."

"Yes, it's that." 

"I know. Our maknae hasn't had her first kiss yet so it was probably very embarassing for you. Aigoo, the unnies and I should protect you until you are mature enough to have your first one." teased Namjoo as she gently caressed Hayoung's head like a mother advicing her own child.

"I-I'm not a kid. Huh, just you wait. When I get my own drama, I'll film my own kiss scene and show it right in your face!" pouted Hayoung as she turned away.

"Omo, you're getting rebellious now huh? Say that to Eunji unnie or Chorong unnie, they'll be like this~" said Namjoo as she imitated their expressions, causing the maknae to laugh. The older girl knew that she shouldn't have done that and did her best to make the maknae laugh, so that she would forget and feel comfortable again. It was her own unique way of teasing her, because she found it adorable. In her eyes, Hayoung was her favourite dongsaeng.

"By the way, why did you that Hayoung-ah? Are you not afraid of Chorong and Naeun unnie coming after you?" questioned Namjoo as to why Hayoung had to pushed Chorong's head during the game that made her kiss Naeun.

"Well, they don't know what happened anyway~" said Hayoung with a cheeky smile.

"But I saw it."

"It's okay if unnie saw it. You won't scold me~"

"Aigoo...what do I with you seriously..." said Namjoo at a loss. It was true, she wasn't a type to scold her dongsaeng.

"But unnie, there's a reason why I did that and I've been keeping it a secret for a long time. I'll share it with just you, because it's you unnie."

"Wow, I feel honoured." said Namjoo in sarcasm.

"Unnie~" whined Hayoung

"Okay, okay. What is it?"

"Did you know that Naeun unnie likes Eunji unnie and Bomi unnie likes Chorong unnie?"

"Wait....WHAT?!"

Meanwhile, at the 93-line room, the friends knew what was going on in their minds. About two years ago, they each confessed their feelings towards a certain member and kept it a secret between themselves. Although they had each checked up on their progress into their relationship, nothing much happened as they were just to busy with their schedules to personally express themselves. But recently with the whole phenomenon happening, it gave them an opportunity.

"Hey, Bom-ah. Chorong kissed Naeun."

"Can you not like rub salt onto my wound" whined Bomi.

"I mean, Chorong unnie has kissed people before like the one in her drama where she did it with Sung-"

"Stop it"

"Fine, fine, I won't" laughed Eunji, finding the reactions of her jealous friend cute.

"Are you fine with Naeun kissing Chorong unnie? The two seemed fine as if nothing happpened tho..."

"I mean, I already did it with her so"

"Wow, Eunji you move really fast"

"Why are you saying that in such a way omg" said Eunji flustered as she hit her friend out of embarassment.

"I mean, I kissed Chorong unnie too..."

"And you didn't tell me about it"

"But...she didn't seem to like it....I feel like I've made a mistake. Ever since I kissed Chorong unnie on the lips, it feels like she's avoiding me now...."

"Bom-ah, this is what happens when you go too fast."

"What, so I went faster than you?"

"Please, i made sure that Naeun was sure of her feelings before I did. How did you even kiss Chorong unnie in the first place. She hates being kissed."

"Um....I just did it all of the sudden....But I congratulate you on winning Naeun's heart~"

"Aigoo...what do I do with you...thanks Bom-ah" facepalmed Eunji with a laugh, hearing what her friend did. Obvioiusly, it wasn't a very smart move. She wanted to help her out. After all, she had a happy ending with her love story. Now, it's time to start on Bomi's story.

"Bom-ah. I've got a plan." suggested Eunji as the same-aged friends spent the night, talking about ways to make Chorong unnie, Bomi's.

 

~X~

 

As the next day arrived, the girls were ready to leave Taiwan. After getting through the sea of fans that waited for them at the airport and trying their best to get their gifts, they were soon back into the slightly quieter departure gates as they looked around the duty-free shops while waiting for their flight. The girls were informed by their manager of their upcoming schedules as it has been fully cleared due to the scandal. By the time they reach Korea, Eunji will be busy handling interrogations as she is the only witness to the whole incident meaning, she will have to deal with curious reporters and attempt to stalk her every move. The other five girls of Apink on the hand, are to remain on low-profile as they were to continue secretly practicing for their upcoming concert and prepare for their new Japanese album entitled "Pink Doll" that is scheduled release in December. It hasn't been announced to the public yet but the company wanted to wait for the scandal to settle down, before announcing the concert.

The girls couldn't say no. It was orders from the above, and it was done to protect them. For the next few days, it has gotten quiet in Apink's dorm as they each did their own things. Chorong and Naeun stayed at home to rest, Hayoung would head into her usual internet cafe while properly disguising herself to play her video games while Namjoo and Bomi hung out with their same-aged friends in secret. After all, the two weren't the type to stay still and do nothing. A week passed like that, while doing small things like heading back to their dance practice room or at the studio, discussing work with their staff. It was as if, a quiet break for the girls to take a breather before something else happened. Strangely, the wish phenomenon stopped ever since Naeun gained her abilities and no one else recieved a wish. It was mysterious but life continued on as usual.

One cold night, the members of Apink were all doing their own things as usual. Hayoung was at the internet cafe and her eyes stayed focused on the computer screen as she was busy playing a tournament game. She had been spending the past week upgrading her character's level and now she holds the rank of general in the computer game. It was at that moment, a hand suddenly popped in front of her screen causing the girl to slightly be flustered as she turned around to see who it was. It was her unnie, Namjoo.

"Omo, so this is where you hang out huh?" whispered Namjoo with a cheeky smile.

"Unnie! what are you doing here?" whispered Hayoung back as she paused her game and took out her headphones.

"I knew you would be here. Chorong unnie told me to keep an eye on you. You know how she is."

"Aigoo, that unnie...so are you here to bring me home?"

"That's right our maknae, do you know what time is it now?" said Namjoo in a motherly tone as she playfully caressed Hayoung's hair.

"I'm not a baby...." pouted Hayoung as she obediently logged out of her game and turned off the computer. She knew it was late and she knew best that she shouldn't keep her unnies at home worrying. After all, she was well aware of Chorong's mood recently. 

"Oh? You're behaving like a good girl today." joked Namjoo.

"Because I'm mature enough to understand the situation."

"What situation?"

"Omo, unnie doesn't know."

"What is it Hayoung-ah?"

"Chorong unnie's mood hasn't been doing good. I bet it's all because of Bomi unnie. I swear I have no idea why is she behaving like that in front of her."

"Really? I wasn't home much so I didn't know what was happening."

"It's kinda obvious. Bomi unnie started avoided Chorong unnie ever since we came back from Taiwan."

"Wow, she's asking for a death wish" said Namjoo as the two girls exited the internet cafe.

Back at the dorm, Chorong stared blankly at the television, flipping through the channels as she searched for any dramas are shows that was interesting. With a sigh, the girl occasionally looked at her phone, as if waiting for a message. As usual, the girl was overthinking things again. She was confused, frustrated. Ever since Apink came back from Taiwan, Bomi had been behaving indifferent to her. It almost looked intentional at some point as Bomi only returned home late at night, when everyone was asleep. The younger girl even ignored her text messages.

"Maybe she's just busy. Maybe something happened and it's difficult for her to explain to me. Maybe she's hiding something that she doesn't want me to know." thought Chorong to herself as she wanted to figure out why Bomi was acting like that. Naeun who was in her own room, heard everything and sighed while putting a pillow over her ears. It was at that moment, Chorong's phone vibrated and there was a notification. It was a message from the girl Chorong had been expecting for a long time, Yoon Bomi.

"Unnie, do you want to hang out at the Han River?"

Upon the mention of Han River, the girl became worried. Usually, Bomi would only visit there whenever she was feeling down or stressed. Especially since the weather has been getting cold, she has no idea why Bomi would be at the river when it would be freezing out.

"Is something wrong Bom-ah? I'll meet you there in about 15 minutes."

"Okay. I wanted to talk to you about something in person. See you there."

After reading her text, Chorong got ready to head out. It had been awhile since she last step foot outside especially since winter is coming. Wearing another layer of coat and putting her mask on, her disguise was complete. Naeun, who heard the ruskus outside her room, came out and asked where she was going.

"I'm going to the Han River to meet Bomi."

"Han River? Did something happen to her?"

"I'm not sure. This girl really makes me worry sometimes." sighed Chorong.

"It's okay unnie, maybe she just needs someone to talk to." said Naeun with a smile, wanting to cheer her up.

"Maybe you're right, Naeun-ah. I'll get going." said Chorong as the two waved at each other. By the time the older girl had left, Naeun walked back to her room and just stayed flat on her comfortable bed. She's been doing the same thing for the past few days, sleep, eat, sleep. For others, it was a boring life but Naeun just enjoyed having time for herself and doing just, nothing at all. It was already going past 11pm and the others weren't back yet, this was a rare moment for the girl to be all alone in the dorm. As she just stared blankly at the ceiling, there was a sound of the door opening. Someone had returned. Naeun lazily got out of her bed to see who it was, and smiled upon seeing her.

"You're all alone? Where's Chorong unnie?" asked Eunji, wearing her usual black cap after returning from the lawyer's office.

"Bomi wanted to talk to her at the Han River. Did everything go well today?" 

"Yup. I'm finally free Naeun-ah. This whole scandal is over!" shouted Eunji jokingly as she put her fists in the air in celebration to which Naeun just laughed watching her doing silly things.

"I missed you." said Eunji all of the sudden which caused Naeun's heart to beat faster than usual. She still wasn't used to Eunji's compliments that came out of nowhere.

"D-Don't just say that all of the sudden...."

"Cute." grinned Eunji as she lightly pinched her cheeks. As Eunji's hands were cold from the winter outside, the younger girl flinched upon the sudden cold. 

"Wow, it must be really cold outside"

"Don't tell me you haven't stepped out of the house"

"No..."

"Gosh, you're becoming more and more like Chorong unnie" laughed Eunji who didn't know what else to say. It was these small moments of being together that mattered.

It was at that moment, the voices in Naeun's head suddenly got louder. It started echoing louder in her head and it was turning into a painful headache as the pain escalated quickly. It felt as if someone was squeezing her brain from the inside. Eunji held on to her, realising that something was wrong. These voices in her head became buried with one loud whisper, an unidentified voice that she hears.

"Things are getting boring because of you. Let's make this game more fun Miss Naeun-ssi. By the time the clock strikes twelve tonight, someone close to you shall suffer the consequences."

It was the only thing she could hear. Everything else started ringing in her head as her legs became weak. Luckily, Eunji was there to catch and hold onto her. The ordeal lasted for only one minute as the pain became lesser and lesser, she regained back her senses and was in cold sweat.

"Naeun-ah! Is everything okay? What happened? You suddenly just-"

"Eunji unnie! This is bad!"

"Huh?"

"I think...I think I shouldn't have let Chorong unnie go to the Han River."

"What?"

"Unnie! We have to go to the Han River! Now!" said Naeun as she figured out something, quickly grabbing Eunji's hands towards the door.

 

~X~

 

On a cold, winter night at the Han River, there was a lone girl covered in thick clothes as she stood by and watched the night sky. As she took a breath, she could see the mist floating in front of her eyes while she waited for Chorong. Mumbling to herself, Bomi walked back and forth as if a way to reduce the cold. 

"That's right Bomi-ya, remember to do it and say it in front of her face. There's no running away now. It's too late anyways." said Bomi to herself as she looked up, and saw someone walking towards her. With a smile, the girl waved.

"Bom-ah!" said Chorong as she walked towards the girl who was obviously shivering in the cold. Her eyes clearly showed her concern.

"Unnie, that was fast. Did you run all the way here?" greeted Bomi with a smile.

"You fool, what on earth are you doing at Han River with the weather like this?"

Bomi could only laugh in response.

"Look at you. You're shivering so much, I knew you'd be like this." sighed Chorong as she took out a heat pack and placed it on Bomi's palm.

"Thanks unnie. As expected of our leader-nim"

"Enough of that. You said you wanted to talk to me? Is something bothering you? You've really been making me worried seriously.." expressed Chorong, wanting to say everything that was in her heart.

"It's something important that I have to tell you in person, unnie."

"Well, go ahead." Looking at her face, Bomi could tell that she wasn't very happy being brought outside. And it was for sure, she was mad at her. After all, Bomi ignored her unnie on purpose. It was all for one reason.

 

[FLASHBACK]

 

Back at the hotel in Taiwan, Eunji suggested Bomi a way to make sure whether Chorong truly loved her or not. 

"Okay tell me, have you ever once tried being cold to Chorong unnie?" asked Eunji as the two sat on the bed, talking like what normal best friends would do.

"No...it would be kinda scary if I did that though...."

"You know, you can tell whether a person really loves you?"

"Really?"

"Look Bom-ah, you're the type who pays a lot of attention to Chorong unnie don't you?"

"How do you know that?" said Bomi with a blank expression.

"It's too obvious.....you fool..." laughed Eunji at Bomi who looked like a lost dog.

"You always know when she's in a bad mood and make her happier than anyone else. Omo, that sounds so cheesy for me to say this." cringed Eunji.

"Omo, then don't say it Eunji-ya. It makes me feel shy." laughed Bomi nervously as she also cringed her fingers.

Indeed, the two friends felt really awkward whenever they talked about love. It wasn't really something for them to sit down and properly talk it out because they were the types who just do it.

"Anyways what I meant Bom-ah, try to ignore Chorong unnie for once. Try and stop giving attention to her. Act cold and play hard to get."

"Eunji-ya, do you want me to DIE?!"

"NO YOU IDIOT!"

"THEN?!"

"That's the only way you'll find out whether Chorong unnie really loves you or not!"

"Huh......" said Bomi as she stared dumbfoundedly at her.

"Aigoo, you pabo. Act cold to her for a few days and then, ask to meet her in person when she's alone. If she reacts angrily, it means she likes you. That's when you do part two!"

"And part two is.....?"

"Ah....what do I do with you Bom-ah..." facepalmed Eunji, almost giving up on her friend.

"O-Oh! You mean that? This?" said Bomi as she formed her lips and pretending as if she was hugging something.

"NO! CONFESSION. YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO CONFESS TO HER!"

"OHHHHHHHHH"

"Oh my god. You finally get it." said Eunji with a speechless laugh.

"Okay, I'll do it. If it works, I'll treat you to chicken!"

"Deal!"

"If it doesn't, you're screwed."

"Wait, what-"

"GOOD NIGHT" said Bomi as she quickly went over to her bed and covered herself under the blanket.

 

[END OF FLASHBACK]

 

Bomi remembered exactly what her 93-line friend had told her. It seemed to have worked. Looking at her unnie's expression, it was clear she was angry after all the things she did to "stop giving her attention". This was her chance. It was the green signal to give her the go.

"Actually unnie, first off, I want to apologize for ignoring you. I didn't even reply to your messages at all."

"It's fine. I thought that maybe you were busy or something."

"Er-that's not actually what I meant.."

"Then?"

"I've been thinking for awhile unnie."

"Uh huh?"

"Remember when you said that a woman can't love another woman?"

"Y-Yea, what about that?" said Chorong as she suddenly stuttered as she heard her words.

"I'm just going to say whatever that comes in my heart unnie. It doesn't matter anymore but I don't want our relationship to go bad just because of this." said Bomi as she gathered her courage and gently held onto her hands, along with the heat pack that she gave her. The girl took a deep breath and look directly into her eyes. 

"W-What's wrong Bom-ah? Why are you acting like that?" said Chorong who couldn't help but to also look into Bomi's eyes.

"This may be weird to you unnie but, whenever I see you happy, it makes me happy. I've come to realise that after more than 6 years knowing you, it's something more than that."

"......."

"Chorong unnie. I like you. Not as a friend, but as a girl."

It was at that moment of Bomi's confession, snow fell on that day. White snow fell in between the silence of the two girls, who froze and waited for each other to talk first. Although it was cold, inside it was boiling hot. Their hearts each thumped loudly as their cheeks flushed red, mist coming out of their breath as they continued to look at each other.

"I said that I like you unnie!" said Bomi one more time, putting her hands onto her shoulders, making sure that she wasn't fooling around. But the older girl was just stunned. She had no idea how to respond to that answer. The older girl was confused. She still hasn't sorted out her feelings. It was weird. Being with Bomi, was happiness itself. Even at times when she wasn't around, the girl would think and wonder what she was doing. But was this because of love? Or simply an act of a concerned friend?

"W-What are you saying Bom-ah? Something's wrong with you lately.." stuttered Chorong as she looked away, uncomfortable.

"Unnie.....I'm not joking around." said Bomi in a serious tone with a straight expression.

"T-This has to be a dream. That's right I'm dreaming." mumbled Chorong as she turned around, and started walking away from the girl.

"U-Unnie! Wait!" said Bomi flustered, wondering what was up with her.

"This can't be true at all. No way. She can't possibly have feelings for me. No..." mumbled Chorong as her steps became faster and she covered her ears, not wanting to hear anything else.

"Crap! What have I done?!" said Bomi as she chased after her unnie. The older girl blindly crossed the road, not seeing anything that was ahead of her. All that was on her mind was those few words "I like you". She was conflicted, confused and was somehow emotionally unstable. As the older girl walked across the empty road, a light suddenly shone in front of her. There was a car speeding directly to her.

"Unnie!" screamed Bomi.

Everything all happened within a split second. Bomi pushed Chorong towards the side, causing her to fall. As the older girl turned around, she only saw her face during that moment of happening and she could remember Bomi smiling at her. The moment Chorong was pushed towards the side, the car ran through the girl. Bomi was helplessly ran over by the vehicle, blood spilling all over under the icy road as the white snow continued to fall from the sky.

Before Chorong could even realise, Bomi's body was right in front of her eyes. Covered heavily in red, ruby blood as her eyes stared blankly towards her, it was the worst nightmare she would've ever imagined.

"BOMI-YA!!" screamed Chorong in despair as tears rolled down her cheeks.

 

 

[END OF CHAPTER 8]

 

 

A/N: Wow, that really took a turn! Bomi protecting Chorong just when she confessed her feelings and Naeun who was a second too late! Do share your thoughts of this chapter as to what will happen next! Thank you for reading and subscribing! I will try my best to update soon~