prologue [4/4]

rich

“This is your way of getting me to know your world?” Youjung whisper-shouts as they both enter a private room decorated with red and gold.

 

“You said why not,” he recites after closing the door and then looks at her. “I even double checked.”

 

“But I didn’t expect this!” she exclaims and he huffs out in annoyance.

 

“You agreed to this,” he grits out, eyes closed. “It’s not like I did it without your permission.”

 

“Well it wasn’t like you gave me a lot of details,” she shot back, crossing her arms and looks away from the male.

 

They both kept silent and then she lets out a sigh, uncrossing her arms and turns to face him. “I’m sorry,” he suddenly says, hardly making eye contact with her. “I should have told you the rough plan or at least what the idea was…”

 

“It’s my fault too,” she says softly, eyes kind of down casted. “I could have asked you what I was getting into and actually talked it out with you. But I didn’t… We’re both at fault then I guess?”

 

His lips tugged into a small smile. “But honestly, you could have informed me earlier about this,” she replies, tone accusing but the look on her face said otherwise.

 

“It’s not like I have your number, princess,” he says, smiling a bit wider and she rolls her eyes playfully.

 

“Seeing as how you found my address without me telling you. I thought you probably have my whole profile about who I am from birth to now lying on your modern glass table in the middle of your huge office, looking out to Han River or maybe Gangnam,” she says before scoffing slightly but when hearing the silence, she turns around and stares at him with wide eyes. “You have my profile?!”

 

“No!” he yells in a disbelief tone with a disapproving look. “You shouldn’t put that stereotype on rich people.”

 

“Well you should have said something,” she says, rolling her eyes. “Silence means yes ya know.”

 

“Silence doesn’t mean yes in my world,” he replies and she makes eye contact with him. “When I’m silent, people usually… know what I want.”

 

“Well I’m sorry then, young master,” she mocks. “I don’t know your world. Also, I don’t work for you. What we have is a special relationship.”

 

“Relationship?” he asks dumbly and she nods before tilting her head.

 

“You didn’t know that relationship doesn’t just exist between lovers right. Relationships describe pretty much the people you interact with. Employer-boss relationship. Brother-sister relationship. There’s a lot more,” she says cautiously.

 

“Brother-sister relationship…” he muses over it. “?”

 

“Aish,” she immediately breaks eye contact, looking away with her hand on her face. “You’re impossible.”

 

“Donghyuk?” a soft voice resounds the room and the door opens to reveal a lady with a warm smile. “Mrs Kim is looking for you.”

 

“Thank you,” he replies with a curt nod and she nods before closing the door once again.

 

“Sister?” she asks with a raised eyebrow.

 

“Ani,” he replies before flashing a small smile. “She’s my maid.”

 

He then leaves the room while she stared at his back, thinking that he was insane before following him to the private room they had first entered to see him waiting for her in front of the door with a blank look. “You are serious about this huh,” she mentions, stopping next to him before looking at the door too.

 

“Aren’t you too?” he replies with a cold tone and she glares at him slightly to see the poker face, deciding to curse at him in her head and returns to looking in front.

 

“I’m trying to,” she replies back with the same tone. “But you aren’t making it easier either way.”

 

He lets out a sigh and turns to her, leaning closer, causing her to lean back. “You’ll do great,” he whispers before a smirk graces his face, “princess.”

 

Youjung swallows thickly as he returns to his original position and it takes some time for her to do so. He puts an arm around her before opening the door, forcing her to stand up straight immediately. “Eomma. Appa,” he greets formally, a stoic face still in place.

 

She was about to bow when the grip on her became tighter and she stays, greeting them as polite as she could with her voice. “Brat, you should let her greet us properly,” the father says, face devoid of any signs of playfulness.

 

Donghyuk slowly draws his hand back and Youjung formally bows at them before smiling at the end to show her sincerity. “Take a seat,” the mother states and Donghyuk guides them both to the empty chairs opposite his parents.

 

She immediately has her back up straight before brushing off the ‘dust’ from her jeans. “So Miss Min,” the mother immediately starts and Youjung readies herself. “What is your job?”

 

“I’m not working at the moment,” she replies and the woman’s face turned sour. “I’m currently in my last year at Seoul University.”

 

The mother leans forward and the father’s eyes lands on the girl. “What course?” he asks with a raised eyebrow.

 

“Majoring business and minoring dance,” the girl replies with a slight smile. “I hope to help Donghyuk in the future if possible. But if he doesn’t like it, I would gladly stay at home.”

 

The father leans back with a satisfied smile on his face while the mother nods curtly. Donghyuk slips his hand into hers and squeezes it slightly as an indication that she was doing well. “How did you meet our Donghyuk?” the mother asks.

 

“Ah…” she starts before glancing down to her lap to smile. “Donghyuk is a well-known businessman in the technology industry. My lecturer had talked about him before. I met him… at the café I work at after my shift.”

 

“You work at a café?” she asks and the girl nods. “What happened?”

 

What does she means what happened. Is this supposed to be a drama? “Ah… About that, a male stranger was threatening me. He mistook me for someone he knew and wouldn’t let me go,” she conjures before looking to the male who made eye contact with his fond eyes before holding her hand gently to add to the effect. “Donghyuk saved me.”

 

She almost cringes at the words that just escape but then remembers that she was still meant to be in the act. Is life a sappy Korean drama to all rich people? The mother then leans back, shooting them both a smile as the food arrived.

 

Youjung eyes widen at the luxurious food laid on the table that was like a banquet instead of a meal and there was still more arriving. “We didn’t know what you like and Donghyuk was a bit unsure since you never had specify a liking towards a certain cuisine so we chose a place which serves the best food from different countries for a variety,” the mother says, a tight smile on her face. “I hope you don’t mind Miss Min.”

 

“I don’t see why,” she replies off-handedly while observing the lobster before her face turned into horror when she realizes what she just said and immediately looks up, eyes widen. “I-I-I m-mean… I don’t mind having a variety since it is my fault for not telling Donghyuk what cuisine I like.”

 

The disapproving glares dropped a tad but it was still there. She meekly plays with her fingers with her head lowered while her face slowly heated up. “Please excuse me. I have to use the bathroom,” she says and stands up, bows then leaves.

 

Once closing the door behind her, she leans slightly against it before taking in several deep breaths. She then walks away from the door before taking a few more deep breaths. She hears the sliding door and looks up to see Donghyuk who immediately closes the door and takes a deep breath like what she had done seconds before. “You okay?” he asks with a gentle voice as he approaches her slowly.

 

She nods, left hand rubbing her right elbow softly. He notices that and gently grabs her left hand before slowly putting it to her side. “You’re nervous,” he states and she offers a weak smile. “Don’t be.”

 

Instead of retorting back like always, Youjung just looks to the ground and bit her lower lip, closing her eyes softly. “I screwed up and it has only been less than five minutes since I met your parents,” she says with a hint of defeat behind her voice.

 

“It’s fine,” he reassures with a smile. “I’ll make sure that nothing will happen to you. Plus, there was this other girl I brought to meet my parents and she ended up drunk, spilling everything in her life. Turns out, she was lying about being a since she had a child aged 5. Imagine the horror my parents experienced when they heard that.”

 

She smiles a bit wider and the male returns it. “Don’t worry too much. They’re just a bit shocked from your words seeing as you were doing well from the beginning,” he encourages. “After all, you’re not used to my world yet.”