epilogue [2/5]

rich

CEO Kim's fiancé is an orphan?

 

Youjung's head was laid on Donghyuk's shoulder in the midst of chaos. The moment they left the male's apartment, reporters, questions and flashes bombarded them. He shields her like a gentleman he was but it raised more questions within the media. As Kihyun sped off, a worried look that was evident on his face, the couple found themselves stepping on eggshells as they tried to find out the reason behind the bombarding.

 

Halfway through the trip, the driver lets out a deep sigh before mumbling about the others murdering him and reveals the news outspread. An unknown source had tipped every media company information of Youjung being an orphan, despite being the daughter of the infamous Chairman Min.

 

So far, Chairman Min showed no response of wanting to clear anything up and it angered her tremendously. It may be the truth but it doesn't mean that it should be showcase to the world like some breaking news. Chanwoo had reassured them that he was doing everything; from using his connections to personally making deals, to prevent things from getting out of hand but it seems that it has escalated too far.

 

The Kim parents have already rung up their only son, mentioning of a meet-up later in the week to talk about the issue. They had shut themselves in the office, away from prying eyes and noises that would further stress them. Minji was to direct calls and prevent anyone from breaking their temporary peace – under the orders of CEO Kim. The other employees also did their best to contain any media coverage that would rudely barge into the office just to grab a glance of the currently trending duo.

 

Jinhwan, Junhoe and Yunhyeong, all are currently appeasing the shareholders and board of directors who demand an explanation. Questions that couldn't be answered by any of them were thrown across the meeting room, stressing everyone out. All wondering where Donghyuk was in a situation like this but they knew that instead of the company needing the CEO just yet, the lady needed her partner.

 

"I'm not good enough for you, Donghyuk," Youjung whispers, breaking the silence to exchange it for a heavy atmosphere. "You know it."

 

He frowns and adjusts their position so that they were facing one another. He grabs both of her hands and holds them tightly, making eye contact. "Don't degrade yourself like that, Youjung," he says with slight pain in his tone.

 

"I'm not degrading myself, Hyukkie," her voice slightly raised, discontentment fully heard. "It's the truth. The shareholders and board of directors will never accept an orphan as their company heir's wife."

 

"But you've done so much for the company. Your change overdrives this stupid being an orphan issue," he replies, frustration hanging off his tongue.

 

"This is no longer about my ability as a CEO's, potentially company owner, wife or business partner," she states, distress filling her eyes. "It's my background not matching yours. It's a pride thing that elders have but we have to listen to them despite not liking it."

 

Donghyuk stays silent, deep in thought. "Does that mean if... just if," he asks shakily, gaze more intense than before, "the elders told us to break up, would you?"

 

Her head lowers as a grim look overtakes her usual happy features. "You're not thinking about it right?" he tries again, not wanting to stutter. "Youjung?"

 

When no reply came, he clenches his fist, not even reflecting what he was feeling on the inside. "Why?" he asks and she looks up. "Why do you want to end things even before we can do anything. It took us so long to face our feelings and we're still both unsure what the heck going on or what we both want. And we're just going to end everything just because some old people said so?"

 

Her hand moves up to cup his cheek gently and his hand fells on top of hers, gently gripping it. His eyes closes and he tenses. "We can talk about this later, you need to go to the meeting to appease the shareholders and directors," she says. "I promise you, we'll talk about this, alright."
 

"Don't leave, please," he whispers and when she agrees, he gets up, plants a kiss on her forehead before leaving the office.

 

Youjung takes out her laptop and immediately starts to type up an email to her professor to inform her absence for the next couple of days and that the exam that was meant to be sat in person, she would have to send over electronically.

 

For the next few hours, she sat on the couch, focused on preparing for her exam and the upcoming assignments. Usually, she would have been halfway through but this time, her mind kept drifting to the meeting happening a few floors below them.

 

Her lower lip was now swollen from all the biting and her eyebrows were permanently furrowed. When the door knocks, she tears her eyes away from the screen and turns to see a silver-haired male stepping in. When the door closes, she was still staring at the male, specifically his hair. "What," he states before sitting down next to her.

 

"Your hair," she says, still gaping.

 

He rolls his eyes. "I came here not for you to comment on my hair excuse me," he says in an annoyed tone.

 

She tilts her head with a confused look and he sighs. "We've seen the reports," he says and she immediately lowers her head. "Yah. Why are you lowering your head? This is nothing to be ashamed about. There are at least ten people becoming orphans in Korea on a weekly basis. It doesn't make you any different from them."

 

"But I'm the heir to Min Technologies," she replies with a pout.

 

"You're not any heir. Your poor excuse of parents left you at the porch of the orphanage with your birth certificate; there is no relation between both of you. He left you," the silver-haired stresses. "The moment you were left at the steps of the orphanage, you have no obligations of being anything."

 

At the sight of another pout, the male sighs. "Youjung..." he calls out gently. "They gave you up, not the other way round. If anything, they should be the one feeling what you're feeling now."

 

"Well, it's not like he cares," she says, staring out of the window to the other building. "If he did, those reports wouldn't still be there... What did I expect though. Some part of me when meeting him was wishing that he cares and wanted me back."

 

"If he wanted to treat you like his daughter, he would have done so years ago," he states and releases a sigh once seeing her with sad eyes. "Don't get too affected, Youjung. Donghyuk will take care of you."

 

"I'm not worried about Donghyuk. I-I-I guess it is the other people and how they view us," she replies and looks back down to her lap.

 

" what other people think. This isn't their life. The only reason why they would judge is because there isn't anything much to do in their own lives and they want to be involved in some kind of drama," he says. "You know that, so what are you worried about?"

 

"You're going to stop things with him aren't you," he states when no reply came and he rolls his eyes. "Youjung, why can't you be selfish for once and stop caring about what other people think. Think about what is beneficial for you, what makes you happy. You gave up so much for others, please be selfish for once."

 

"I can't and you know that," she says. "My heart is soft for others especially you guys."

 

"You gave up the scholarship to stay with us in the same country. You gave up your trip for funding of the club. You gave up your relationship for an acquaintance that crushed on the same person as you. You almost gave up your life to save us too many times to count," he recites. "Just be selfish for once. Donghyuk is a good guy. Don't let what other people say; get in the way of your relationship."

 

"Now it isn't just the public. It's the shareholders, board of directors and his parents. The most important people in his life that can make or break him in just a second, I don't want to ruin his life in any way," she argues.

 

"And you not being in his life isn't going to ruin him?" he retorts and rolls his eyes at her nodding. "How would you know that."

 

"How would you know that me leaving will ruin his life?" she rebukes.

 

"Because I've seen how he cares for you. No one will care about someone that much, especially if he was the guy you were telling us months ago," he replies simply. "He's changed and you did it. In a way, you're his anchor, you make sure he doesn't go off the edge, you keep him attached to his sanity."

 

"I don't know if I can handle whatever you just said," she says. "I don't even know what I want myself. I don't know what I can or can't do."

 

"You can do so much but you can't see it yourself," he replies. "Just like everyone else. That's why we're here to show you that you're amazing and can actually do so much."

 

"I wish I couldn't," she whispers. "Then I wouldn't be in this mess right now. I wouldn't have met Donghyuk and wouldn't have needed to pull him into this mess."

 

"But you can do all that," he retorts.

 

"Yoongi Oppa," she starts and he holds a hand up.

 

"I should go before Donghyuk comes back. The both of you have lots to talk about," he says, getting up. "You better talk to him. The both of you need it. Don't avoid it no matter how awkward it gets. Also, be selfish just this once. I beg you."

 

He walks out of the office and she slumps in her seat, staring up at the ceiling. She lets out a sigh as thoughts slowly clouded her mind. She weighed the odds of them breaking up and staying together.

 

She came to the conclusion that there was a higher chance of them leaving one another. It was also beneficial for everyone if she decided to leave herself. Even though he would get hurt, no one else would get hurt. But she wasn't sure if she wanted him to get hurt just because of her.

 

She gets her phone out and opens Kakao, clicking on the first conversation.

 

If I told you guys to leave, will you guys do so?

 

SUGA

I told you not to do anything without talking it out.

 

PINK EOMMA

What's wrong?

 

BIG ONE

Little one, do you think that is the best decision to everything?

 

RM

I'll follow you.

I mean, after all, we all promised to listen to you no matter what.

 

WONNIE

Maknae, if you're sure, let's go.

I think all of us need a new environment too.

Money wouldn't be an issue~

 

KIHYUN

Well, whatever your decision, tell me.

I need to find a legitimate excuse to quit

Without Donghyuk finding out that's if.

 

SHOWNU

Hobi and I don't mind whatever decision is made.

Just need to notify so we got time to settle everything.

 

CHIM

I'm up for it.

I've heard that the higher ups want to transfer me another branch.

It's still in Korea though...

 

MINHYUKIE

As long as there are pretty girls there

:P

But on a serious note, think about this seriously

Moving to a different place; possibly country needs a lot of effort

 

V

I'll go with majority

I'm doing online classes so it doesn't matter to me

 

I.M.

I think the club needs to be expanded.

All clubs actually.

So I'm up for a change

I trust you, noona :)

 

Kookie

Nado~

 

She smiles at all the replies and locks her phone after thanking them. At least if anything were to happen, there is still a way out. The door opens and she turns to see whom it is, expecting for the handsome fiancé since she guessed that the meeting was over by now. The blonde-haired enters with a tired smile on his face.

 

She gets up as he approaches her and hugs her tightly. "Tired?" she guesses, slowly responding to the hug.

 

"You wouldn't believe what I have to put up with," he mutters, shuddering at the replayed moments. "There were too many ridiculous requests that I can't fulfill."

 

"More importantly, have you appeased all of them?" she asks and he sighs. "I'm going to take that as a sign that you didn't."

 

"I can't please everyone," he says, breaking from the hug and holds her hand. "Especially those wanting us to break up. I had to emphasize so many times on the things you have done for the company that no one has ever done. But some said that... I was just blinded by love and was manipulated by you into doing something that caused the company to decrease in numbers and possibly efficacy. They want the old system back as soon as possible."

 

She puts her hand on his cheek to make eye contact and smiles slightly in some hope of encouraging him. "People like change but don't like being changed to like the change," she says. "It's hard to let go of this system, I understand. But if it is what they want, give it to them then. There is no point in fighting over something as trivial as this. Let themselves see the difference."

 

His eyes light up as a grin breaks out. "Why didn't I think about this earlier? I can agree to bring back the old system back but only for a month. We'll compare everything from the past and present system and see which one is better, choosing from there," he talks excitedly. "Oh my, Youjung! You're a genius."

 

"You thought about the idea, not me," she says with an equal wide grin.

 

He then walks towards his desk muttering about what he can do and she stares at him before a bittersweet smile appears on her lips. He can live without me.