epilogue [4/5]

rich

Donghyuk sat across an elegantly dressed lady who was younger than him by a year. He studies her body language and confidence was something he could conclude. Looking at her face, he vaguely remembers where he has seen her before but not remembering any reason for her to end up at his office. "Sorry, but who are you?" he asks politely and her sweet smile appears, making his heart beat a little quicker.

 

"Nice to meet you, Donghyuk. I'm Son Dahee," she introduces, the sweet smile never leaving her face. "The girl you confessed to about a month ago. I'm sorry for not replying earlier but I've been in America the whole time, helping my parents with their company."

 

He blinks repeatedly, remembering that he sent a confession text to an unknown number that his friend gave to him as a dare. "Dahee-ssi, that text was a mistake," he starts.

 

"It doesn't matter because, I've already met with your parents and they approve of us dating," she interrupts, the sweet smile still plastered to her face. "Mr and Mrs Kim are really nice."

 

His hand immediately goes to massage his temple slightly. "Why are you even here?" he asks as politely as possible, his mind running with thoughts of Youjung seeing Dahee. "I have a fiancé."

 

"A fiancé that doesn't match up to your status," she rebukes, the smile seemingly manipulative now.

 

He leans back in his chair and knows what kind of person Dahee was. The smile that made his heart beat quicker a few minutes ago, now made it rise due to disgust. The innocent façade hid something way more than the wrong side of humans. He looks away with a stoic expression, not wanting to deal with her anymore.

 

The door opens and he looks to see his right-hand man. Jinhwan gestures to him to come out and gets up without excusing himself. He closes the door behind him, eyeing Minji whose makes eye contact with him. She nods apologetically and he returns it to indicate that it was okay. "Who's that girl?" Jinhwan asks when they reach the other side of the room.

 

"Son Dahee, the girl I supposedly confessed to," Donghyuk replies, running a hand through his hair. "What should I do?"

 

Jinhwan's face grimaces as he relays the message the other's parents gave him. Donghyuk's face morphs into anger as he clenches his fists till they were white. He leans against the wall behind him, closing his eyes to process everything he just heard. The cogs in his mind immediately turn, weighing every choice and its consequence.

 

He slumps slightly when his brain tells him the best decision. His eyes open as tears line his lower lids. His fists relax and locks gaze with the shorter male. He forces a nod out to agree and Jinhwan grips the other's shoulders tightly, masking its comfort. He then leaves in the elevator. Donghyuk mentions to Minji to cancel the rest of his day before entering the office once again to talk to the lady. I'm sorry, Youjung.

 

Youjung sat on the bar stool, turning it from time to time, entertaining herself. She looks up when she got bored of the action to see Jungkook moving the speakers himself. "Yah! Do you want to die, Jungkook?" she yells from her seat and her eyes dart around the empty property to see Hyungwon. "Hyungwon Oppa, please help the stubborn- second youngest."

 

The mentioned immediately goes over to help the younger that frowns but doesn't comment. She checks her phone but no notifications pop up from someone. It makes her uncomfortable but she pushes it away. Namjoon sits next to her, noticing her misery. "Waiting for your Mr Right to message you?" he teases and she shoots him a glare before setting her phone down on the counter behind them. "How's everything between the both of you?"

 

She plays with her fingers. "He told me, he wants to settle down," she confesses and gasps were heard.

 

She looks up to see Kihyun, Jimin and Changkyun hiding terribly behind a pillar. "You can just listen ya know. You don't have to hide behind anything," she dryly points out and the three of them appears from behind the pillar to crowd around the duo.

 

"He asked me to be his official girlfriend and fiancé but... I haven't answered," she continues, chewing on her lower lip. "But I'm pretty sure, he assumes that my answer is a yes."

 

Before anyone can say anything, the doors to the club open and Donghyuk stood there with a lady next to him. She bites her lower lip at the sight of that as Kihyun goes over to greet his boss and to enquire whom the girl was. "Guys, this is Son Dahee," he introduces and she smiles, waving to all of them.

 

"I'm his wife. Our parents have already approved of the plans and our wedding is currently being planned," she speaks. "Donghyuk just mentioned to me about how Youjung has taken care of him whilst I was away so I came personally to thank her. I also wanted to see her family and look around, if that's okay."

 

Youjung nods with a smile and gestures her to look around. Dahee pulls Donghyuk with her to explore the property. She raises her hand to stop questions and they abides, going off to do their things. Namjoon, on the other hand, stays in the seat, observing the 'couple'. "You got warned?" he asks softly, eyes not tearing away from them.

 

"Junhoe and Jinhwan Oppa contacted me once they heard the news," she replies. "They look good together."

 

"Donghyuk and you look better," he comments and earns a glare. "Just saying."

 

Dahee stumbles and Donghyuk saves her by winding his arm around her waist tightly. They exchange smiles shyly before he stables her. He keeps his arm around her as they continue to walk around the place. He stops her if there was puddles or places where her heels could get stuck and helps her over.

 

"They are worthy of each other," she points out. "Something that would never happen between him and I." Youjung then gets up to leave the property.

 

Days later, she was found on the couch in the office, waiting for Donghyuk. She thinks back to the past few days where the media found out about Dahee and Donghyuk, speculating things. She was forgotten and dropped just like that. She still hated walking on the streets since people would come up to her and ask what happened. Me being an orphan happened lie within other unspoken phrases.

 

Donghyuk enters the office with a file in his hand attracts her attention and he jumps slightly, noticing her. Before he could say anything, his phone rings and he fishes it out of his pockets, answering it. He puts it on loudspeaker before sitting down at his seat. "Yes, Eomma," he says.

 

"Donghyukkie ah! Not that I want to annoy you but when will you officially split up with that orphan?" she asks in a cheery tone. "Dahee and you are all over the news but there are unpleasant reports wondering what about you and that... thing."

 

"Eomma, 'that thing' is Min Youjung, the girl you used to favour. Or did your memory erase that too," he retorts. "I am not going to break up with her. I'm only going along with Dahee because of you. That Son girl isn't the girl I will settle down with life."

 

"Omo yah. Why are you trying to anger me?" she replies. "Listen Donghyuk, Eomma and Appa know what is best for you. That bastard daughter of Chairman Min and you do not belong together. She is an orphan, not fitting for you, the heir of Kim Technologies."

 

"I have done everything you wanted me to do. I've gone on dates with Dahee, grown closer with her, everything you have requested for me to do. What more do you want from me?!" he says, at the verge of yelling.

 

"I want you to marry her," his mother states firmly.

 

"That won't happen because I will only marry Youjung," he states back and ends the call.

 

He tosses his phone on the table before frustrated running a hand through his hair. She stands up and meekly approaches him. She lets her hand rub his temples gently and he immediately grabs her hand. "Youjung..." he calls out. "I'm so sorry."

 

She looks down to his hand, gripping onto her wrist lightly. "I sent her a confession text because of a dare. That day we talked about confession it was Dahee. Yes, I was frustrated but because I wanted a reply so I could clear things up. I forgot about her and she just turned up to my office a few days ago," he explains and takes a deep breath. "Her parents talked to my parents and agreed that both of us should date."

 

"My mother... took things in her own hands and decided that we both should give a shot at dating," he continues. "Hence, the pictures of us. Our mothers got ahead of themselves and decided that we should get married, reason why she introduced herself as my wife."

 

"Donghyuk... Your mother is right," she whispers and his grip tightens slightly.

 

He turns around and looks up to her. He pulls her down to his lap. "You're believing what my mother says?" he exclaims, voice barely above a whisper. "It's crap. It's utter bull. I used to listen to her but I am not going to listen to it anymore. I'm old enough to make my own decisions."

 

"Donghyuk," she calls out with a frown, hitting his chest and standing up despite the strong grip. "Don't say things like this about your mother. Respect her because she is your mother, no matter how crazy her requests are."

 

"How to when she's acting like this!" he retorts with an eye roll, earning another hit then her hand slips into his gently, calming him down.

 

"What your mother said is right..." she whispers, sitting back on his lap. "We don't belong together."

 

"That's bull!" he yells and she uses her free hand to cradle his hair.

 

"Our lives are not a drama; it is real life. People who love each other sometimes don't get each other at the very end," she says and takes a deep breath, not liking what she was saying. "And it is okay..."

 

He lowers his head and hugs her tightly. "Can't we make this our own drama?" he pleads.

 

She puts a hand on his cheek to make him look at her. A warm smile displayed on her face as the fiancés of almost a year make eye contact, staring into each other's eyes. "Oppa," she calls out and his heart flutters. "Reality will never be like a drama – because we can't plot if however we want it to be. What happens happens. We cannot control it, change it however we like just because we are not satisfied with what is given."

 

"Your mother is right, Donghyuk. I may be the daughter of Chairman Min but I am simply an orphan. Nothing can change that fact. My background and yours do not fit. Orphans like me are looked down upon," she says with a bittersweet smile. "I wish Dahee-ssi and you well."

 

"Stop with this 'not belonging together' . Don't you care about us? Does this thing between us mean nothing to you? If it does, then fight for it. Show that you give a damn because I am honestly so tired of fighting for the both of us when all you want to do is give up..." he confesses as tears escapes from his eyes.

 

"I promised Kihyun hyung that I will fight for the both of us to stay together no matter what. But you're making things so difficult, Youjung. I guess what people say is right. There isn't anything more difficult than when the one involved wants to leave."

 

"It's for the better," she replies with a grim smile and he slumps in his seat. "I know you hate it. I hate it too but... it's for the better right now."

 

"Do you wish for Dahee and I to be together?" he asks.

 

She thinks about her reply before deciding to go with the truth. "Honestly, no," she says and his eyes lit up. "But if it is what your parents wish for, I will respect it."

 

The light goes dissipate as he looks away and she looks to the table. The photo frame in front of them catches her eye and she smiles. "When two people spend a lot of time together, talking to one another everyday, some form of affection blooms. Sometimes it leads to them to being involved in a relationship. But the ending of it goes two ways, they eventually learn to love one another despite not being the illusions of what their expectations gave or end up in a horrible break up," she says.

 

"Others leave the affection and it turns into a special relationship that exists between both parties. Though, it never turns into a relationship," she continues. "Because that relation exists above lovers."

 

Donghyuk muses over the thought and something struck him. His eyes widen and look at the girl on his lap. "Wonho hyung..." he trials off and she nods embarrassedly. "But how?"

 

She smiles as she remembers how it happened. "When Namjoon Oppa first brought me into the family, Wonho Oppa took care of me really well. Despite being young, him being fifteen and me bring ten, some form of affection formed between us – something more than just siblings," she explains. "We came clean to each other and everyone when I reached fourteen. That night we sat in the same bed and talked about our feelings for one another."

 

"There was something between us but neither of us took another step to progress it further," she continues. "Everyone else around us was anxious for the both of us to end up together. But at the age of sixteen, something between us changed. Maybe it was because we never attempted anything towards our feelings, our relationship morphed into soul mates. It came as a slight shock to the other Oppas but they accepted it nonetheless."

 

"Then Mingyu happened," she concludes.

 

He then understands why Wonho was exceptionally protective over her despite knowing him for a short time. He found out once that whatever he promised to Kihyun was from Wonho, everyone else agreeing on the terms. At first when finding out, he was wary but pushed it away, convincing himself that the older male and younger girl was family. Now finding out about the truth, it felt bitter but he couldn't do anything about it.

 

"I've talked to Dahee-ssi a few times and she's an incredible girl. She is really business-minded, a plus for someone like you," she mentions. "Give her a chance."

 

He nods but doesn't want to voice out that his heart and mind had already given Dahee a chance. The walls that he put up from the first impression were broken down as he realizes the other side of her, the humane and innocent side. He had misjudged her from the very beginning, someone who strongly stood by the traditional value of having the same background as a marriage partner. Other than that, she was just like any other girl he has met.

 

Unknowingly, he was drawn in. His mind and heart were split, one pulling towards Youjung, the other towards Dahee. The emotions, feelings and attachment of being together almost a year, spending almost every single day together made his heart very, very fond for her. The freshness, sweet and someone from similar background tugged his mind towards the other. Logically, if the both of them got together, everyone will praise the couple – possibly becoming the power couple in the industry.

 

Youjung notices the subtle conflict in his eyes and smiles sadly. She gets up from his lap and plants a forehead kiss. "I have to go now, Donghyuk," she bids goodbye. "See you soon."

 

He nods with a smile as she leaves the room. She closes the door, releasing a sigh. Taking her newly brought phone out, she immediately unlocks it and goes to the messaging app.

It's time. You guys ready?

Always, little one