h - harsh [2/4]

rich

Donghyuk sits across the now quiet Youjung who was playing with her fingers, not meeting the gaze he was directing at her. Her eyes darts around the private room from time to time and her lower lip was in sandwiched between her teeth. Before entering the room, he had already instructed for no one to enter till he comes out to order personally. With that, it buys him lots of time to talk to his fiancé.

 

His mouth opens but words fell short, as no sound comes out. He runs a hand through his hair, messing it up slightly. Their gazes met for a nanosecond but she immediately breaks it as her cheeks flushes. He gathers all his courage and was about to bring up the matter that happened outside the restaurant but his phone rings. Cursing at whoever it was, he fumbles to get it out of his too tight pants pocket. Eomma flashes across the screen and no remorse emerges in him for cursing at his mother as he picks it up.

 

“Yes, Eomma,” he greets.

 

“Have you seen the news, son? The media is going crazy over that kiss that Youjung and you displayed in front of some restaurant!” she exclaims excitedly till the point of hearing her grin. “I’m so happy that you both have done that, it will end all the rumours at once!”

 

Knowing that Youjung could hear the whole conversation, he shoots her a quick look as she shifts uncomfortably in her seat. “Eomma, now isn’t a good time. I’ll talk to you soon,” he says before hanging up without a second thought.

 

At the sight of her picking the underside of her nails, Donghyuk reaches over to stop her actions as she flinches and looks up to make eye contact. Her gaze was immediately averts downwards once again. He hates the table that was in the middle of them, blocking his way of showing his true intentions and feelings for the girl he cares so much – too much.

 

He gets up as he releases his hold on her before moving next to her and pulls her up. Her widen eyes shot up to look at him as he traps her between the table and him. She leans back as far as she could, not looking in his general direction. Realizing what he was doing and tensed body from the female, he moves back and mentally punches himself. Youjung isn’t like other girls. She doesn’t enjoy Korean drama scenes.

 

“I’m sorry,” he offers but all he gets in return is a meek nod.

 

It frustrates him endlessly at how quickly it takes to make their relationship back to zero in a matter of seconds that wasn’t even caused by him in the first place. That kiss which took place about half an hour ago was embedded in his mind. It was the first time they pulled something like this off, let alone in front of an audience. “Why did you kiss me?” he asks, running his hand through his hair once again to further mess the previously neat style. “In front of so many people.”

 

When no reply came, he sighs before leaning on the table next to her in a slumped position. “Youjung, talk to me please. I don’t understand what is going through your mind now and I wish to be a part of it. Please,” he pleads softly as a soft crack appears in his voice. “I’ve never seen you like this – so bold and daring in front of anyone besides me.”

 

“You wanted to keep our relationship to ourselves because it was a lie and it was the easiest way for the media not to sense something fishy. Now, you kiss me outside a restaurant, near my workplace and in front of an audience. What is going on in your mind?!” he exclaims as he continues to think about the situation, his blood starting to boil, wanting some kind of understanding.

 

“Your mother is happy now…” she mutters and he gets up, staring at her murderously.

 

“My mother? Are you kidding me,” he growls, standing in front of her. “You kissed me just because of my mother?!”

 

Why does it hurt.

 

“You pull a stunt as huge as that for my mother. You did that to appease my mother?” he scoffs at the irony. “Woman, you wanted to appease the rumours the simplest way possible. That kiss we had isn’t the simplest way possible. What has gotten to you?!”

 

When she remains silent again, the fire inside of him grows bigger. “Speak up! You initiated this, explain to me why in the world did you do that, especially when our relationship is fake,” he grits in between his teeth as he continues to taunt her.

 

“You think I wanted to do that?!” she yells, stopping him mid-rant as a glare emits from her eyes into his eyes.

 

“No one forced you to do so. News flash, you pulled me towards you!” he exclaims as he takes a step towards her but she doesn’t cower. “Now, tell me the truth. You aren’t as stupid as to do that just to appease the rumours and my mother.”

 

She folds her arms and turns to look away. He sighs in annoyance as he grabs her arms and stares down at her. “Tell me, Min Youjung,” he commands as his fingers dug into her skin, causing her to squirm. “Tell me now.”

 

She pushes him off and grabs her bag before leaving the private room in a hurry, not even bothering to close the door behind her. It takes him a full minute for his head to wrap around what just happened. The moment everything became clear to him, he runs out of the room, hurriedly asking the workers if they saw which direction she headed but nothing came up.

 

He runs out of the restaurant, unaware of the female in the bathroom on the phone with shaky hands. “Oppa… Please pick me up…”

 

The grip on her phone tightens once she hangs up as time ticks by. A few minutes later, her phone screen lights up and she unlocks the cubicle door. She opens the bathroom main door and peers around to see if Donghyuk was anywhere near before scurrying out of the restaurant and into a BMW. The car immediately moving once the door closes.

 

She closes her eyes in an attempt to let the thoughts leave her mind or be thrown to the back of it. She didn’t wish to deal with any of those thoughts. How selfish of you to act like that. Donghyuk should leave you. Why did he even choose you? You’re nothing. Her nose scrunches upwards as she pushes her hair backwards as an awkward sound releases from .

 

Her eyes stayed staring out of the car as she tried her hardest to not let out a sound, maximizing all her facial muscles. She immediately slaps a hand across the lower half of her face as a very soft sob was heard. Fat teardrops rolls down her cheeks and over her hand before eventually dropping onto her clothes.

 

The scene of Donghyuk screaming at her and holding her so tightly that her circulation was almost cut off replays in her mind, it allows fear to creep up her. See what you did. You deserve Donghyuk being mad at you. I cannot believe you did something like that.

 

A box of tissue was handed to her but she turns away even more, being her stubborn self as more tears fell into her lap. The car stops and movement was heard before she found herself being gently handled. The gentle hand wipes away her tears with a tissue and clears away trace of crying slowly but steadily before laying her hand next to her. “There, you look as beautiful as before. Not saying that you didn’t look beautiful when crying,” a warm voice comforts as a pout forms on her lips as she felt herself wanting to breakdown once again. “Now, don’t you dare to start again.”

 

She looks down to her lap as she starts to fiddle with her fingers as an attempt to calm herself down. “What did you do this time, little one?” the warm voice asks as she shakes her head, knowing that the tears will come back the moment opens. “You’ve definitely done something. I’ve haven’t seen you in months ever since Donghyuk and you got together. Suddenly, you call me with a too calm voice, asking me to pick you up. Then, you breakdown in the car and still refuse to admit that something happened?”

 

An ugly sound emits from her as she clamps her hand tightly over her face once again. “Am I a bad person?” she asks in a childlike voice in between tears. “Did I ruin everything? No. I did ruin everything. I made Donghyuk someone bad in the eyes of the media when I wanted to improve him; what kind of horrible person am I?”

 

A soft chuckle resounds in the car as the car starts once again. “What have I done?” she asks before muttering degrading comments under her breath. “You’re such a stupid person.”

 

Another chuckles sounds and she looks up to look at the driver with helpless eyes. “You’re really silly, you know that right,” the warm voice says with a slight smile, disregarding the heaviness that the girl was feeling. “You obviously know that you aren’t a bad person – one of the nicest and kindest girl I’ve ever met. Ruin everything? What is everything in your context because if it’s the tissues then, you’re definitely correct.”

 

A soft scoff sounds from Youjung as she wipes away the stray tears appearing. “You’re most definitely not making Donghyuk a bad person in the eyes of the media. If you haven’t noticed, the rumours or tabloids revolving around him have decreased to zero and that’s because of you. I no longer open papers to see his face smacked in the headlines about his ravenous escapees with some unknown girl he met at the club. Thank you for that by the way,” the warm voice says with a hint of amusement.

 

“You’ve been improving his company, his life and most importantly, him. There may be still be a lot of flaws in him but look back and you’ll see that you’ve changed him so much. There are articles online talking about how you’ve changed and improved him if you refuse to believe me.”

 

The car stops for the third time and she looks out to see the company building. She lets out a sigh before looking away. The car then starts to move again. “Home?” the warm voice asks.

 

“Home, please,” she affirms.

 

“Well, that’s not happening,” the warm voice, replies, earning a glare. “You have to fix this with Donghyuk. I am not allowing you to turn around and walk away, not solving whatever issue happening between the both of you.”

 

The car enters the underground parking and stops in front of lift lobby. “Kihyun has told me about the progress made between the both of you. He could be your potential partner,” the warm voice comments.

 

“Our relationship is nonexistent, why would he even choose me as a lifetime partner,” she mutters loud enough for the driver to hear.

 

“Don’t you dare doubt yourself!” the warm voice went up a pitch before clearing of the throat. “You’re an amazing girl, your looks may not be on par with those celebrities but your personality is what makes the man stay. You become more and more beautiful with every side they discover.”

 

“You’re just saying that because you’ve known me for my whole life,” she grumbles as she fixes her appearance.

 

“Has Oppa ever lied to you?” he asks and she rolls her eyes.

 

Youjung looks at him for the first time ever since she entered the car. “Thank you, Oppa,” she says with a grateful smile, looking straight at his greyish-blue eyes. “You always seem to know what to say.”

 

“Well, who asked God to make us soul mates,” he replies, putting his arms behind his head as his muscles flexes. “Now, get out.”

 

She pouts but laughs before getting out of the car. She waves goodbye as the car leaves and she turns around before taking a deep breath. Counting the steps it took her to the office preoccupies her mind from dangerous thoughts and Donghyuk. At the sight of Youjung, without their CEO by her side, employees starts to wonder if a fight finally happened between them.

 

She offers a weak smile at Minji who returns one and she enters the office. No one was around and she drops unto the couch. Automatically taking off her heels, she rubs her ankles as she stares at the pile of papers given by her lecturers. She starts to examine and think back about how her life has changed and how much it has affected her normal, daily lifestyle.

 

Youjung almost jumps when she felt a soft touch massaging her heel gently. Looking up, she notices the mob of disheveled grey hair. The owner of the hair looks up with a forced smile before focusing back to massaging the sole of her foot. He brings up the other foot once he was done and proceeds with the same gentle motion.

 

Her body was rigid and somehow his touches weren’t relaxing her like usual. “Youjung…” he calls out softly. “I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have yelled at you.”

 

“You freaked me out when you left the restaurant. I realized that I scared you away…” his voice fell to a shaky whisper, “and the thought of scaring you, scared me. I drove away the only person in my life that actually cares about me and wants to make me a better person. I-I-I thought I lost you.”

 

Donghyuk rests her foot down on the ground and doesn’t attempt to move from the spot. He inhales a few deep breaths to steady his emotions. “When I couldn’t find you even after running after you, horrible thoughts entered my mind. I would still have been running around like a maniac if Minji didn’t call me to inform me about your arrival back here,” he struggles through the wrenching emotions. “When you said that you kissed me because of my mother, I felt heart burn – a thousand times painful though.”

 

“I understood the pain that was described in stories and I wish it never happened to me, now or in the future,” he continues with the heavy atmosphere as he buries his face in his hands momentarily. “I-I-I’m just… sorry.”

 

The only thing left audible in the room was their slow breathing to control the overwhelming emotions that neither of them wanted to face. The door flings open as a woman scurries in, top half buttoned and skirt shorter than company policy.

 

“Donghyuk Oppa!” she exclaims, catching sight of the CEO. “Is everything okay? I heard that Youjung and you had a fight! I cannot believe her, why would she fight with someone as perfect as you? Ugh. Whatever, I always knew that there was something wrong with her. Is there anything I can help you with? Just say it and I will do it.”

 

Youjung looks up and turns to make eye contact with the girl who pales at the sight of her. She regains her composure as Donghyuk stands up before shooting a victorious smirk at the fiancé’s direction. When the male stands in front of her, Youjung looks to her lap, preparing her mind to gather her things and leaving.

 

The girl immediately latches upon the male but he grabs her lightly and prevents her from touching him, earning a frown. “Oppa? Is everything okay? We can get out of here if you want,” she offers as he looks up at her with a glare and his arm moves.

 

Before any attack could inflict pain on the employee, it was stopped by Youjung’s arm that grimaces at the impact created. Donghyuk’s eyes widen as he immediately drops his arm to his side. Youjung turns to the girl and silently buttons up the top with gentle hands. The pure look of shock overcomes the employee at the sight of her boss’ fiancé helping her after trying to get it on with her boss in front of her. Youjung adjusts the top before ensuring no crinkles could be seen and tugs the skirt to bring it above the knee, company policy.

 

“Us women are not ual objects, stop making yourself one,” Youjung whispers when they make eye contact and turns to grab her things. “I’ll see you tonight, Donghyuk.”

 

In the span of an hour, Donghyuk watches the person he cares most leave him for the second time and there wasn’t anything he could do.