Invisible

Angel

A cracked groan goes past your lips when a smooth whisper ghosts around your ear, pulling you into the morning of the day, “no..”

“You better wake up now,” he sings, and you shake your head. You haven’t slept as beautifully as this anymore in a long while. “I swear to god. Wake up. You are cutting off my blood circulation.”

That voice inlaid with pure golden sarcasm, the mocking tones that go up and down to drag you around like a whirlwind you can’t tune out.. 

Your boss.

Eyes shoot open in less than 0.1 seconds and your head shoots up to the side. It’s still quite dark in the room but you can recognize that face even if it was from miles away in the dark night with no moonlight.

It was most definitely not how you would paint your great morning. How did you wake up in the same bed as him?

“Yah - don’t go back closing your eyes. I know you are awake, come on get off!” He warns you, you hoped he wouldn’t notice. When you still don’t move in panic you can hear him busy with fishing for something. “If you won’t get up right now I am going to kiss you until you suffocate.”

He didn’t have to say it twice and you shot up, feeling how his arm has been lying under you and you had no idea. The fact that he must have held you while you slept leaves you speechless. It’s your boss.. your satanic and evil boss but still the man who gives you your paycheck.

“What?” He stares at you while rubbing his sleeping arm noticing the way your eyes are on it along with the silence, “I had no choice, you moved around too much for my liking.”

You scoffed, “I hope you have to amputate it then.”

“Ah what a ‘sweet’ girlfriend you are,” he mocked you. “Speaking of girlfriend, you are doing a ty job.”

The way he says it so easily as if it’s no big deal tugs onto you despite your disliking. “As if I actually would want a boyfriend like you,” you mumbled back.

“You may want to take that back, princess. A guy like me has many advantages.” He chuckles not so much to your liking, “I honestly think you’d like me as a boyfriend.” His heart-shaped lips is raised on one side and you don’t like it a bit. The amusement in his eyes only predicts you bad fortune.

You stare at him blankly and then scoff obnoxiously loud, “as if!”

“Oh? Let me show you then..” he moves up and you stare at him with wild eyes. What in the world is he trying to do? He slowly draws closer into you until you back is glued against the headboard, he has you locked like a cage and his arms are the bars when he connects them with the wood.

His eyes are intriguing and taunting, and you can feel his breath as wind cooling your hot skin. He has you exactly like he wanted you to be, its the danger of a successful writer.

“I could..” he forced your eyes to meet his, “prepare a romantic date for you only. It could be.. at a quiet restaurant, the beach at night filled with candle light under a soft moon.. or perhaps.. do you enjoy public display of affection more? A club? Anywhere is fine for me, it doesn’t matter where.. your lips will keep my eyes busy anyway.” He grins when he sees your frozen expression, “I’d kiss you like this..” his lips feel soft on yours, taking the advantage of your slightly opened ones from the shock. His touch is passionate, and you desperately want to lean in for more but he quickly disconnects them. “Mmm.. and maybe after that we could..” his naughty hand slides a hand on the skin of your upper thigh. Lips finding your neck.

He plays you so well, you can see how he is so loved by the public. Charms he owns are shooting all over the place, and you wonder if you should be happy or not about having a taste.

After all.. this is just a bet he is trying to win.

“Kyungsoo..” you begin, but you don’t want to end it and tell him to stop. After being glued against the laptop screen for years because of your studies you finally can have a taste of freedom as much as this job allows you. Refusing men left and right, your sinful thoughts encourage you now you finally don’t have an excuse to.

“Yes?” He moans, it almost sounds like a song to your ears. Next to being Korea’s popular writer, you also are aware of his vocal abilities in the shower. How could anyone be this good?

“S..top.” You weakly demand him.

Expecting him to just slyly continue, knowing you do feel heat he surprises you by stopping. He wipes his mouth and gives you a warm smile you didn’t see coming. “Don’t worry,” he plays your hair, “I wouldn’t do anything a woman wouldn’t want to do.”

Those words have you wide eyed, he is truly full of surprises. What used to be a man that would ask you to bring his phone to him that is lying 2 meters away from him changes into a man that is showing you respect.

“But remember, fake or not, you are still my girlfriend,” and with that he removes himself from you and walks into the bedroom.

In other words; it is still a bet.

When life reminds you that you still are a paid working assistant you quickly also get up off your feet to hurry with your work. It’s nice to be able to get work done early but you will definitely have to take time to get used to it because very honestly the comfortability is all one sided. Unlike your warm and homey decorated apartment, Kyungsoo’s place feels like a high-end upgraded IKEA display room no one lives in. It’s beautiful but you can imagine a place like as big as this must be lonely for one person.

“What the hell are you standing there?” Never mind, he probably doesn’t need any company. Little satanic prick. “Well? Why are you acting so weird?”

You keep quiet and just sip your coffee, staring at him like you will not let anything unexpected pass you. He sighs and puts his papers down, “If it’s because you are suspicious of why you were sleeping in my bed, it’s because of Jongin. Nothing more. Besides you should get used to it.”

“Why should I get used to it? You have a guestroom, or like 4 guestrooms.” As if you’d want to sleep in the same bed again.. waking up next to his face..

He wasn’t kidding, entering probably by far the most expensive room you have ever seen you felt like a house of cards blown away by a leaf blower.

You turn around to show your ‘anticipation’ in staying here.

“I have never seen a person so unhappy about a presidential suite,” he slips the key back in his pocket when you two leave the suite.

Cocky rich bastard.

“Well, maybe you could have warned me at least about sleeping with you in the same bed again.”

He faces you to show you how unamused he is himself, “Well by all means go sleep on the floor then.”

“With pleasure I’d sleep on your handmade by people who have died 500 years ago velvet carpet,” you sarcastically smiled. Ever since the flight from the airport all the way to here you two have been fighting like an old married couple with menopauses, and that goes for him as well. Having a flight that required you to wake up 4 a.m. in the bloody morning has made you two deprived zombies with low sugar.

But the show must go on.

“There you two are!” The voice of Miyoung beams through the elevator and both of your spirits break the meter. Kyungsoo gives her a sweet smile you have never ever seen before, “I hope you guys don’t mind me hanging around.. Jongin will be late.”

She has the most awakening appearance, you feel like a little girl admiring a Disney princess in all her pride.

“That’s okay, you can stay with us.” Kyungsoo blocks you out by turning his back on you. She doesn’t notice a thing, maybe she is way too pure.

The way he acts is almost 180 degrees flipped, towards you he has never been that helpful and considerate.

Eventually at the party you feel a bit lost, it’s a place full of people that act like nobility. Royal feelings are beaming through their eyes and you are completely out of place.

You can either go and help Junmyeon, that man that smashes front pages about his succes from left to right though in real life he drinks a bit more than he can actually handle. But you don’t know him that well so.. no.

Maybe you could go to your mentor, Zhang Yixing, you haven’t really learned anything useful from him yet. It feels more like having tea with him while he tells you life lessons but his company is strangely enjoyable. He is deeply engaged in a conversation about coins and how sad it is you can’t have both sides that you’re just not going to disturb. Also the face of the person he is talking to is so burned by the story you don’t want it to change. So you will just sit at the bar.

“A special drink for a special lady.”

A soft glass against glass sound is produced when a drink is shoved into your face, “Oh, no.. I already have a.. Jongin?”

He laughs at you and greets you back. “Drink it, I made it myself.”

You raise the drink and bring it to your lips, “Why are you behind the b-” you want to spit it right back into the glass but that’d be inappropriate, “what’s in here?!”

Laughing hysterically that the couple a few chairs away turn to give him a look, “I don’t know,” he shrugs, “I thought it’d be fun to make a mix according to the colors of the bottles in the order of the rainbow. Not a succes apparently.”

You gulp down the drink you had ordered and ask him again, “Why are you behind the bar?”

He pouts back, “is it because I’m horrible?” You nod with no hesitation, “Mean!” But he doesn’t take it to heart, he probably should already know. “Well, this hotel is my family’s!”

Of course, you roll your eyes. “Still. Who put you behind the bar?”

“Hey! So so mean!” He leans in closer, “but between you and I.. I heard that men that work behind a bar are more attractive. Not that I need that. I mean it doesn’t work for him over there.” He points at the man pouring a drink for the couple that was deeply conversing.

The man that was pointed at putting the bottle down on purpose for a dramatic sound and returns a stoic face, “Jongin, I swear to god. If your parents weren’t here right now I would puch you so hard where it hurts.”

Jongin turns back to you and grins, “that’s Sehun.”

“Nice to meet you, Sehun.” And he just winks at you before returning to his job, “So Jongin.. why aren’t you over at your girlfriend.”

“I could ask you the same,” he leans forward.

You laugh, “I was there and Kyungsoo shooed me away every time telling me to go get shots. After the 3rd time I realized why.” Shoot. The thought of that Jongin thinks you two are a loving couple totally slipped you. How weird must it sound to him to hear this, you try to talk it off when his eyebrows show you he is a bit suspicious. “lovers quarrel.. heh.” It should have done the trick but his eyebrows won’t detangle. “What about you?” You change the subject before he can get onto it.

“Same? I think? I have a bit of a ‘tense’ friendship with Kyungsoo at the moment..” the look on his face is upset and a bit troubled.

“He has never told me about it.. I thought you guys were fine.” It didn’t feel like they were having a rocky friendship. They seemed okay the last time even though Kyungsoo didn’t say that much. You thought he just simply never really did.

“Of course he hasn’t.”

“What?”

“Nothing!” His puppy smile distracts you, but it doesn’t go unnoticed that he clearly meant something, “let’s go outside!” He jumps over the bar and Sehun smacks him yelling Minseok will kill him if it gets dirty, again.

It’s cold outside but with someone willing to talk to you it feels warmer outside than inside. In the 3 hours you have been here you only had a nice time since Jongin came. “How does it feel to be normal?”

“What do you define as ‘normal?”

He shrugs clearly having had a drink or two, “having parents that do go home every day, not being judged on small mistakes all the time, being able to do what you want.. being able to choose who you love..”

“What are you talking about?”

“I want to be normal, like you.. I want to be able to dance freely and do what I want to do.” He hiccups, “I don’t want a father that guilt trips me by telling me how he rather burns all the hotels he owns than to give it to someone other than his son. And how many people will not make a living if he does that.”

You don’t know whether to tell him he is wrong because at least he is financially stable or to pity him for having a lack of care and consideration of dream. “It’s not all that awesome being normal.”

He blows out a flat laugh, “I’d die for a life like that.. Why don’t you treasure it more? Why try to get into our world?”

“Jongin, you are drunk. Let’s get your girlfriend here.”

He is so totally out of it, everything just gets thrown out of his mouth. “Why does your relationship feel so forced?” He questions, and you actually grow anxious.

He knows.

Why wouldn’t he know.. you expect a friend of Kyungsoo for so long to actually understand his behavior. How stupid.

“I..” but before you can even say something his head lying flat on the table. This might be a good time to call his girlfriend to help him up. Her face turns unamused and she carries him over her shoulder.

“You shouldn’t have let him drink, he has low tolerance. You should have called me sooner.” This is the first time you have seen her like this, you are way too used to the smiley face she always wears. When Kyungsoo takes Jongin by the other arm but she refuses, “I’m going to ask Yixing, you guys should go back as well.”

No snide remarks are being made back in the suite, which makes it even harder to bear than normally. It frustrates you how quickly Kyungsoo can change in front of you, one moment he can write a book on insulting you and the other minute he kisses you like he is yearning for love. Today a new one has been added; he acts like you are some kind of waitress or he acts like you don’t exist.

“Hey we need to talk,” he quietly closes the door of the bathroom after showering.

“Do you mean ‘talk’ or do you want me to bring you something again?” You put the papers for possible appointments down. You really are too tired to argue with him but he doesn’t deserve your mercy.

“Look,” he takes a deep breath tugging onto the sides of the towel hanging around his neck, “I’m sorry, okay? I really am.”

And you almost want to spit out your tea, are your ears deceiving you or is the almighty Do Kyungsoo sincerely apologizing to you? However a ‘sorry’ isn’t going to do it for you, he made you sit by yourself for two hours only until Jongin finally saved you out of that loneliness, you could even see that Sehun guy giving you a pitiful look. Silence remains as you keep your eyes focused on your phone.

“Fine!” this is as far as his sincerity goes, his stubborn self always finds a way out, “go sleep on the floor tonight.”

That massive bed is really too big for himself, it’s almost eating him. No matter the distance that will be if you would sleep in the same bed. If he wants you to sleep on the floor so bad, fine, you will go to that extend to show him.

You can hear his body tossing and turning around, giving huffs and puffs in annoyance. Even though the floor is actually abnormally cold, you should have turned the floor heating on, putting a bunch of duvets on the floor is some rare experience. You aren’t going to get up and turn it on to show him you are uncomfortable. That luxury you won’t give it to him.

It has been an hour until he softly calls your name, “please, stop doing this.”

Silence.

“Do I need to beg you or somethi-?! I mean.. please get in bed,” how far can you go, “are you asleep? I swear to god I will wake you up..”

Nothing.

“You are so annoying and you get on my nerves the minute I see you but will you just please stop torturing yourself? I already feel guilty and if you catch a cold I think I will actually die from guilt.”

He turns the light on when he hears you getting up and he looks sincerely sorry, you get in and he seems hesitant to even talk to you again but still tries to make it up to you. “God, you are cold.”

His touch is almost melting you, “I slept on the floor.” You laughed to shrug it off.

Despite you laughing he doesn’t see the humor in it, “Which boyfriend would let their girlfriend sleep on the damn floor?” You would with no doubt point out that it’s him but when he is actually being nice to you, how are you supposed to do that?

“I’m really am sorry. I’ll do better, little angel.”