Tension

Angel

“Ah, my dongsaeng’s girlfriend! Come here, sit!”

 

You didn’t expect meeting your favourite writer would go quite like this. Meeting him is an honour and even after meeting him you are without a doubt still so inspired by his work, but to be very honest you have never had a talk about post stamps before. And why they are so important but not used anymore, at first you thought it might be a spoiler to what his next book would be in a creative way. Well, after hearing him talk for 20 minutes you thought differently, anyhow it was a pleasure to meet writer Zhang.

 

But he is really weird.

 

Like.. really.. really weird.

 

“Well, tell me a little bit about you now,” he puts his coffee down and flashes a dimpled smile. If you weren’t trained to act professional you would have melted in your seat. There is a little bit of coffee on the side of his upper lip and you can’t help but you just have to stare at it, it’s adorable.

 

Shaking yourself out of your inner fan girl you list some things up that may be fun to tell, however he shakes his head halfway.

 

“Not the boring stuff! Tell me a bit about you! I want to know you!”

 

“Oh, uh. Well, I’m Kyungsoo’s girlfriend.” Saying that just makes you want to hurl. ”We have been dating for a while now and, uh he has been just.. very nice,” lies, lies and lies but it was exactly what he told you to tell everyone. So you did.

 

He laughs this time and makes a comment on how cute you are, “I’m curious about something though..”

 

“About what?” You blnked in confusion.

 

He childishly ticks his lips with a finger in thought.  When he turns to you his stare becomes almost.. cold, “Wat are you hiding from me?”

 

“Excuse me?”

 

“We both know how Kyungsoo is, and ‘just very nice’ isn’t how anyone would describe him,” he his lips, “It’s interesting though, I have never seen him tolerate a woman, or a woman him.”

 

Do you ever have those days where you can’t help but to repeat the word ‘why?!’ over and over again? Well this day was one of those days, as if being busy with managing your boss’ schedule wasn’t tiring enough you had to be rudely interrupted by the man himself telling you to drop everything and to come over to his house, right now.

 

Oh, did I mention you had to bring all your clothes and some personal belongings with you? Well there you go. 

 

When you agreed on this bet with him, you knew he wasn’t going to go easier on you and now that you became his faux girlfriend it wouldn’t be much different, but you didn’t expect him to skip that much ‘relationship time’. After all, you are also a normal human being and the thought of ‘moving in when you haven’t even had a first date’ is a bit new to you.

 

After arriving at his place he quickly pulled you in, without even greeting you properly then he threw all your clothes into his closet, practically shoved all of your make up on a vanity and quickly put an apron around your middle. You stared at him confused. You were trying to take everything. 

 

This would be a perfect moment to pull out the line, ‘Whoa there, cowboy. Aren’t we moving a little too fast? Let’s take this relationship slow.’

 

“Jongin is visiting,” he smiles as if he just didn’t just satanically threw your stuff everywhere to make it look like you ‘live’ here, to be very honest it looks more like your stuff met his home and created a tornado, “go make something for dinner.” He commanded.

 

It takes you a moment to mentally come back from the whirlwind that is Do Kyungsoo, you have indeed made a bet with him but you somewhere feel like backing out. 

 

Curse you, Zhang Yixing and your world inspiring books that always have you hooked the minute you begin, “Oh and jagiya, keep your mouth closed. It’s rude,” he says followed with an annoying clicking sound with the side of his mouth.

 

As if throwing your stuff around isn’t rude, and who is he calling his ‘jagiya’?

 

No way that you will give into him that easily, you are a strong woman and you are going to fight back. Like the real strong person you are! 

 

By spitting into his dinner.

 

You head over to the kitchen and look around to see if there are any ingredients you can use to get something done in about an hour. Good thing your ‘boyfriend’ actually has food at home.

 

Halfway during the process of getting the food ready he steps in, eyeing the things you are doing. You almost feel like you are a participant in MasterChef by the way he is judging, “can I help you with something?”

 

“Well, no.. but I would appreciate it if you would actually cut the vegetables instead of killing them. I have to eat that.”

 

As expected.

 

You hope that he isn’t serious right now because you will kill him instead of the vegetables, “Pardon me?”

 

He takes the knife from you and shoos you away with his hips so he can get behind the cutting board and gives the example, “instead of cutting them into a jardinière, it would be easier to eat if you did the julienne and then maybe a brunoise. It’s much easier to eat, not that I am complaining, but many people find the taste of carrot not so pleasant, so make them smaller, you understand?”

 

“Not really. I honestly think that you just gave this carrot a name,” And that actually made him laugh. This is probably the first time you have heard him laugh. Not like a ‘you are so stupid’ or an ‘I embarrassed you’ laugh.

 

Maybe you will learn to get along with him after all..

 

“Stupid.”

 

Or.. not.

 

“Well at least now I know that the one who turns the TV to cooking channels isn’t the cleaning lady,” his face turns slightly pink and you feel like this is an accomplishment. Today you will not be in your assistant role, today you will be the sassy girlfriend you can be.

 

The bell starts to ring and he hollers to the intercom to open the door for his friend, while you mope around how the food isn’t even done yet. When the door has been reached and Kyungsoo opens the door, but it doesn’t seem like Jongin came alone since you hear loud greetings.

 

His girlfriend, Miyoung came along.

 

“Hope you don’t mind, she said she was alone today so I thought it’d be nice to invite her as well. I mean it’d be nice for the three of us to catch up, and we want to know all about your new lady!” They greet you both with much enthusiasm and you invite them to the living room for some tea so you can plate the food that should be done by now.

 

But by the time you have put everything on table you feel this painful tension from a side in the conversation, tension coming from no one other than your faux boyfriend. It’s not like he doesn’t put effort into the conversation, it’s more like a slight tension. As an assistant watching him pretty much the whole day, you have become very aware of these kind of things. Maybe it’s the fact that the other two are being all lovey-dovey, it would make you uncomfortable as well.

 

Your eyes follow where his are going and it draws a lot of question marks into your thoughts, it’s quite.. strange how he keeps staring just like the first time you met the two of them. Announcing that dinner has been served the chat continues this time with you about the past.

 

Honestly, you are very interested in the embarrassing old facts about Do Kyungsoo. You have come to learn that he used to be very shy, Jongin keeps laughing when he mentions the Harry Potter fashion Kyungsoo liked. He copied the glasses and searched every store to find a scarf like his. Their friendship seems to go quite far back, Kyungsoo didn’t like the younger man at first after a lot of persuasion he finally gave him a chance. Stories are being exchanged by about memories they share, and there is a lot of behavior you recognize.

 

Who would have known that world’s most arrogant man had a soft side for Jongin’s dogs, though it took him long to get close with the dogs. Kyungsoo described it as, ’they kept jumping and barking, what was I supposed to do?’

 

Then Jongin’s girlfriend Youngmi comes into the picture, a girl they had gotten to know after she halfway high school she went to the same school as them as a transfer student, Jongin’s father gave him the mission to make her feel at home since both fathers were business partners.

 

It has been a long while since high school and after that they haven’t really kept contact, it wasn’t until much later that they are where they are today. You figured it would have been something like a reunion that brought them together.

 

Kyungsoo himself doesn’t talk much about those times, it ended up with Jongin and Youngmi telling you all the juicy things about Kyungsoo’s past. Even though you aren’t genuinely concerned since he is well your ‘boyfriend’, you can’t help yourself from getting absorbed into the countless stories about the awkward Kyungsoo who used to wear nerdy glasses.

 

You, of course, will use it against him.

 

“So, how is your relationship?” Miyoung asks the both of you and by the way he expertly hides it that he is actually quite tense, exactly like he does when the publishers come to ask if he finally has his work done.

 

“Other than that she eats like a pig, she’s very very very nice,” you give him a faked smile while in your head you are rolling your eyes and he takes your hand smiling back, “of course I love you, Jagiya.”

 

Oh boy.

 

The more time passes with your guests the more Kyungsoo seems to be absentminded, he doesn’t give much into the conversations as you expected him to do in the first place. You try to make it more believable by being a lovely host, but at certain times it seems like he tries to stop you.

 

“Hyung-ah.. your girlfriend is asleep,” Jongin whispers w, it has been a long day for you and even though you have been enjoying the company somewhere between the stories sleep takes you away even though you tried so hard to keep your eyes open so you wouldn’t come across as rude, “it’s our fault, it’s so late already. We stayed longer than we intended to.”

 

“You should bring her upstairs,” his girlfriend chimes in.

 

“I don’t think that’s needed I don’t want to wake her up,” he tells as an excuse but she doesn’t take that as one.

 

“Soo.. just do it?” The hopeful look in her eyes make him swallow when she locks eye contact, he know he is going to give in, it’s almost admirable how she is able to do that so easily. It doesn’t happen much that he doesn’t really argue back.

 

He quickly looks away and blushes, “fine.”

 

Her small face beams a smile and she pats him on the back, “you’re such a good boyfriend,” the compliment makes the pride in him rise as he walks towards your sleeping figure and pulls you into his arms until you are safely in bridal-style.

 

“Oppa does that with me too, don’t you?” she giggles and gets closer to her boyfriend, both men’s expression changes, “I’m going to the restroom for a minute, it’s a long ride and all.”

 

The moment she leaves the room falls silent, no one says anything until Kyungsoo starts walking.

 

“Hey hyung..” Jongin stops him by holding his arm, “hyung, look at me.”

 

But he doesn’t and walks him off since he doesn’t want to wake you up, he stays completely silent.

 

“Hyung you know how all of this isn’t my fault.. and, I had to bring her. She really wanted to. I’m sorry and I know-”

 

“Shut up, Jongin.” he almost shouts the tone in his voice is cold and he doesn’t even look at the younger man, “just go home.”

 

Just like that, Kyungsoo walks away. Jongin's expression doesn't hide a thing. His eyes are batted down and his lips are curled down. He is hurt. When he notices that you're looking at him curiously, he quickly shakes his head and smiles as if nothing is wrong. "He just has his moments, you know how he is. Right?"

 

And you do. In fact, you know exactly what he is talking about. Being around mister famous writer Do Kyungsoo gave you a taste of his nasty attitude.

 

But was this his attitude? Or is there something you don't know about?