Angel

Angel

The sun was shining on the white marble tiles, only trees giving it slight protection. If you didn’t know better you’d think you were staying at the royal palace or something; corintic tall pillars surrounding the whole place and with paintings gracing the walls inside you could see only if you pass the big tall doors, “Mr. Do,” you called him.

 

Coming into the real world after studying your whole life, you were proud. Young, energetic, knowing you just started your career after studying your whole life.. it was hard work and stepping out of that zone of just studying and getting good grades greeted you with even harder work; you had to find a job, save money, get your own apartment and move out of your suffocating student room you have been living in for the past years.

 

Connecting your way you have found the perfect opportunity for yourself, combining two things you were passionate about and loved doing, you accepted the job of going to a fancy city to help a young man that happened to be a very famous writer.

 

He goes by the name Do Kyungsoo, apparently he had been searching for someone that could help him manage his hectic life as a successful writer. They thought you would be suited for it since you were famous for being flexible – emotionally, mentally and physically.

 

And rumor has it that Do Kyungsoo was hard to please, he has had many previous assistants that ran away crying or some even ready to file in papers against him for causing them mental damage. 

 

How bad could someone be? It probably were rumors anyway.

 

Your job was to manage his appointments, help him with reminding schedules, take calls from all over the world at any time and many other things. But did you mind? No, since it’s a good pay and you got to go to another country.

 

However now looking back; you can’t believe you were so stupid.

 

So very stupid.. because Do Kyungsoo was a total prick.

 

For example; every time he tells you to get him an Americano he would demand the perfect balance between the espresso and water or he’d have you return it until you got it right. Or how you had to put his coloured dress shirts in the order of the rainbow, which you didn’t understand because he doesn’t own anything else for special occasions but black, white and well, black.

 

You hated his guts, and he hated yours equally as much; but you were desperate for a job and he was desperate for an assistant that got the job done, considering you have broken the record of staying his assistant for longer than 2 weeks, he had no choice.

 

“Here is today’s schedule,” you hand him a perfect clear printed paper with everything he will be doing today together with the times, “I’m not sure about the appointment with Mr. Kim Junmyeon at 5 o’clock though, but you will be seeing him tonight anyway so I suggest, if not, then you change into what I have prepared for tonight’s party, it’s about two hours from here and it’s important.”

 

He drops his book uninterested on the wooden table and lazily looks you in the eyes while taking the paper from your hands, you clutch your map with both hands again. Trying not to be affected by his rude behaviour.

 

“You’re going to come along with me to the party,” he speaks.

 

“I’m sorry?” you think you just heard wrong. Last week he was so opposed to you coming along to the dinner he had with almost the exact same people and suddenly he insists on you attending the party? “I think I heard you wrong.”

 

He takes a deep breath and sighs it out, “I said that you are coming along with me.”

 

“I recall being called ‘not worthy enough to attend’ last time,” you tap impatiently with your foot on the tiles.

 

He groans in annoyance while rolling his eyes and throws the paper somewhere without really caring where it’ll end up, “you’re not coming then? Fine, I was willing to do you a favor and help you get connections most would dream of getting, but I suppose not then. Your loss.”

 

Walking past you casually he’s got you thinking. A favor? That man, for you? Not much can go wrong, right? You’re going to show up as his assistant and make some connections, so why do you feel like he is acting suspicious? Maybe he isn’t that bad after all, it’s just weird that he is willing to do a favor for you when he hates you and calls you to get him coconut oil at 3 A.M.

 

“Wait,” and he stops in his tracks slowly turning around to face you, “I’d love to come along with you.”

 

“Excellent,” he gives you a warm smile you are not accustomed to and even though it’s very innocent it doesn’t stop it from sending a cold shiver down the spine.

 

Eventually in the car he doesn’t say anything, even when you tell him the schedule once more before going and finally ask him if he understood, only telling you to ‘just enjoy’. With a bitter expression you sit back down asking yourself why in the world you would still explain if he wasn’t listening anyway, he’s just staring out of the damn window. He doesn’t understand at all how hard it is to be ann assistant, and being his assistant is even worse.

 

This man doesn’t care about anything else but his own good.

 

“Fifteen minutes until we arrive,” you tell him, not expecting a reaction anyway.

 

He almost jumps out of his seat, “What?!”

 

You have never seen him this way, but noticing a cold sweat on his forehead you can conclude he is pretty nervous somehow. Maybe today is important and you need to look out for him, you hand him a glass with Bailey’s and ice and he almost finishes the whole thing in one go, “what is up with you?”

 

“Don’t speak to me like that,” he tells you, “I’m fine.”

 

You can’t seem to figure him out, there must be something he isn’t telling you. And this whole assistant thing won’t work out unless you know about his every step.

 

“Tell me,” you try, speaking with a soft voice.

 

“I said I’m fine! Stop prying.” even the driver got scared as he quietly keeps driving.

 

The alcohol seems to kick in a little bit as he calms down once you arrive.

 

It seems to be a party at a classy party with many people who seem to not have seen each other for a long time and you are happy that he told you to buy yourself a fancy dress else you’d be so out of place. Before entering you quickly fix his tie, and take one last look at him. Perfect, like a real gentleman.

 

“A moment,” he whispers to you, “stay. here.” He tells you strictly, and when he walks away you can’t help but to mimic his words in a quite unprofessional way. Seeing a man coming your way you gulp, he has the face of a god with a smirk on his face whom one would think it’s his default face. He is so beautiful.

 

“Are you here with, Kyungsoo-hyung?”

 

Oh. Okay.. friends with Do Kyungsoo.

 

“Ah, yes.” You introduce yourself and shake his hand while he replies, “I’m Kim Jongin, I saw you enter with him. What a pleasure to meet you. Has he kept that hole of a fashion sense with him?”

 

“He has, sometimes he dresses like an Asian Obama,” you reply indicating to his free time clothes that are similar, you really can’t believe man of 27 years old to wear clothes like that. If you could you would throw all the polo’s and belts away so he can never tuck them into his ugly pants again. You just cringe thinking about it, luckily you even have the control about his clothes and force him to wear something else.

 

It’s better for you, and everyone around him – no, for the entire world.

 

“He has told us about much you,” he winks at you.

 

Wait what? He seems to really want to get on your nerves, clicks with his tongue at least 20 times a day when you are near him, did not want to have you at the dinner at all costs and suddenly you hear he talks about you to others? Wow.

 

“Has he now, about me?” you ask him and he nods, “and us? Who is..”

 

“Jongin!” you hear a cheery voice and you see a happy girl coming your way and she hugs Jongin giving him a peck on the cheek after, “who is this?”

 

“She is with Kyungsoo, babe.” He smiles. Oh, not single then?

 

Her eyes widen and she brings out her hand to shake it with yours, “It’s lovely to meet you, you are so beautiful!”

 

She seems like an awfully nice girl, her hair is auburn mixed with a hint of purple and you don’t fail to notice the little dimple near her lips who are slightly covered in a lipstick. Honestly, she is even more beautiful herself.

 

Somewhere in between her asking you questions about if you are enjoying yourself and if she needs to show you around or not it seems like Kyungsoo had slipped into the circle of you three with another man you know as Kim Junmyeon from pictures.

 

“Ah, there you have her!” Junmyeon says loudly, he seems to have at least consumed a bit.

 

You place your drink down for a moment to shake his hand but he seems to have gone in for a hug instead.

 

“Oh yes, nice to meet you. I’m Kyungsoo’s as-”

 

“-angel”, Kyungsoo interrupts you, and you stare at him with wide eyes but he just slips his hand into yours – you quickly try to pull away but he catches your hand before you can and intertwines his fingers with yours. Judging by the way he interrupted you and said something totally not professional as someone's boss you're pretty sure he is drunk and is trying to hide something. "Roll with it or you're fired." Confirmed..

 

The three others stare at you giggling thinking it was a moment of you being shy. But nothing is what it seems, because when the music starts to play and the voices are dimed he slightly moves your hair away and whispers, “tonight you’re my angel.” Only his eyes aren’t focussed on you.

 

They’re on her.