First Challenge

Angel

"This,” you laid out a paper in front of him, “is your schedule for today.”

You were about a week into your ‘relationship’ with Kyungsoo. The whole circus with Jongin and Kyungsoo didn’t get discussed. In fact.. Kyungsoo acted like nothing happened and you were smart enough to not ask. 

You expected his attitude to worsen after being a ‘couple’ but in fact it improved. You went from people who could barely stand each other to able to walk through the same door.. He even could be nice.. sometimes.. 

He put his cup of coffee down after noticing you, and picked up the piece of paper. Only one look was enough to make him frown. “Too many words and letters.” He claimed, putting it down again.

“I knew you’d say that, so I have a shortened version on your phone.” You smiled. Even though it was awfully difficult to work with him in the beginning, you have gotten used to him. And it doesn’t take that much effort anymore to make him pleased with your work. If everything was bigger than size 11 in letter type hell toss it. He doesn’t wear pajama’s, but he likes to have them under his pillow because he’ll wear them throughout the day. And if his coffee isn’t scolding hot in the morning, he will be mister Grumpy the whole day. Yes, even in the Summer. “I know how you like it.”

Even though the teamwork was surprisingly well, you had your own things as well. From ‘I won’t wear socks to bed because they need freedom’ to if the paper work he gives you exceeds than 20cm, you will replace his pillow with the pile until you are done with it.

He almost spits his coffee when he goes though his schedule though his phone, “What the hell is this?”

“Your schedule..” 

He gives you a fake laugh and rolls his eyes, “No, I mean what is on the schedule.” He points to what is planned 7p.m. 

“Oh. Your mother didn’t stop calling. Something about you not spending enough time with her, so she demanded dinner. I thought she could fit in.” You smiled, kind of unfamiliar with panicked Kyungsoo. You don’t see it often. 

Slapping his own forehead, he sighs then shakes his head. “There is a reason I’m avoiding my mother.” The curious look on your face makes him troubled enlightening you his problem with his mother. “I kinda.. never told her about you.” He catches the look of you questioning why he hasn’t mentioned you before, and tries to quickly shake the thought of him being ‘embarrassed’ or anything out of you. “No, no, no! It’s not what you think. Look, my mother is very annoying when it comes to women. I don’t want her around you, she will never leave you alone ever again.”

“Come on, it’s your mother. How bad can she be?” Thinking about it. If she is like Kyungsoo you might want to think twice, and then take those words back. You aren’t ready to memorize any more weird things about people. One is enough.

His face is dead serious and he shakes his head saying ‘very very bad’. “Besides, she will ask you awkward questions such as ‘when will the two of you marry?’ or 'when will I have grandchildren?’” He sighs. “And we both know that won’t be good because..”

The relationship is fake.

Right, for a moment you forgot that fact. A fact you should be remembering very well. It shakes you up a bit. How dangerous it might be to forget that fact, for a moment it scared you that the memory of you two making that deal was dusty. You gulp. 

“..that would mean my good looks will be wasted!” He tries to keep his laugh in, which confused you thinking he is either smirking because he thought that was clever or that it’s some weird lopsided smirk.

You slap him playfully, “That’s mean!” Rolling your eyes you sit back. “If anyone’s looks are going to be a waste, we both know it’s mine.” 

He chuckles, then gets up from his seat and messes with your hair. “Hmm, I think you might be right. I have such a beautiful girlfriend.”

“So what are you going to do about your mother?” You ask when he is about to leave the room.

Thinking he’d tell you to call it off, he surprises you with shrugging instead. “No choice then to tell her, right? Be prepared meeting your mother-in-law.”

It would be a lie if you’d say you weren’t nervous in the slightest. First of all it’s Do 'I have a bad temper’ Kyungsoo’s mother. If she has a similar personality you will have to flee the county in case you make a bad impression. “Wait! Are you really that much against it? If you are I can call it off, really.”

He smiles, “No it’s okay.” He shrugs again, “but I kind of looked forward to our private date.”


Wow. Two minutes into the dinner with his mom and you already felt shocked. When his mother walked in, you had already heard about the talk Kyungsoo and she had on the phone about where the dinner would be. He first of mentioned that you, his girlfriend, would be there. Then there was this 45 minutes long talk about the location, she didn’t want to eat western since she was in Europe and only came back to Korea recently, second she didn’t want Korean BBQ since that smelled too much, which was disappointing, so the both of them ended up going for Chinese. 

When she walked in she looked quite young, and beautiful. It wasn’t hard to tell that Kyungsoo got his beauty from his parents, or well a great part from his mother.

After exchanging formalities, she asked you if you were Kyungsoo’s girlfriend by just saying, “I assume you are Poopoo’s girlfriend.”

That already had you spitting your tea. Even though you laughed while Kyungsoo told his mother not to call him that anymore, you looked at her again and her eyes were dead serious. It’s not like you wanted to laugh at his nickname, it just happened.

Then the next thing made you want to spit your tea, again.

“So when will I get grandchildren?”

Looking to your right, you saw him looking at you with that ’ha.. you thought I was kidding face’. Turning back to his mother you nervously rubbed your neck until it hurt, this is too straightforward.

“Mom.” He said sternly, “Stop it.” Clearly his mother doesn’t hold back, but that reminds you that the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.

“Honey, she needs to know. We are desperate for grandchildren, I was already afraid you would never want to find anyone. I was so worried when you declined all my offers of these wonderful young women who wanted to go on a blind date-” the screaming in her son’s eyes make her words come to a halt. This is probably one of the many reasons your secret deal was beneficial to him. Judging by his facial expression you can easily read that this dinner is over and he is ready to make his leave. 

Reaching for his wallet he quickly throws two 50 bills onto the table without much care of it being way over what you actually have eaten, he removes himself from the table and walks out of the restaurant. He only nods to the door, telling you to wrap this whole thing with his mother up because he isn’t able to do it with his mood. You are glad he does, because it would have been bad if this became a scene.

His mother, knowing it too, isn’t prepared to let you leave just yet. “It’s all that damned girl’s fault.” She mutters when you try to say polite goodbye’s. When she notices you heard her talking to herself, she gives you a smile, which tries to explain she wasn’t talking about you. “Look, I know this looks bad. But my son needs a bit love, and I think you are a really nice girl.” 

Bowing briefly, you say your goodbye’s and you leave. Stepping out of the restaurant the cold weather greets you after your farewell with Kyungsoo’s mother. Looking around, you see your boyfriend with shoulders towards each other because of the cold weather. He must have waited for you come out. Slight guilt is what you feel when his nose has turned slightly red. You told him to wear thicker clothes, those thin dress shirts don’t do well with this weather. “What.. took you so long?” The way he is speaking gives away that it’s time to step into a warm car. 

“Sorry, you must be cold.” Removing your scarf, you try to tie it around his neck. He refuses at first, and you roll your eyes because without using words you know he is thinking a scarf is too feminine. “If you won’t wear it I’ll get upset.” You make a playful angry face, and he extends his head towards you for you to wrap it around him. Only after rolling his eyes.

When the both of you start walking it stays quiet until he speaks, “Sorry for my mother, and my behavior as well. Me and my mom aren’t on the same line when it comes to stuff like that, everything has to go her way. She even uh..” he suddenly becomes uncomfortable, “she rejected my previous..” The more he says, the more he wants to take back. “No, forget it. It’s nothing.”

He doesn’t have to finish the words, you can already fill them in. Or rather, you could already guess what situation has occurred before. “Well.. I think.. she likes me?” 

He nods in agreement, “I think she does as well..” a slight smirk plays on his face. 

It’s only when you get home that you understand why he had that face. “You were great today. I think you deserve a reward..” He closes the door behind him, and catches you off guard by giving you a big smooch. It was as if his body was working on impulse. Right the in the moment he moved back, his eyes were telling a whole new story. It wasn’t a wild or a lustful look.. No, it was pure adoration.

The next day your body is securely protected by his arms when you open your eyes. While the room smells of the previous night. 

This wasn’t really what you ever expected to do. But it happened anyway. You can remember the taste of his lips, the laughter because of his and your embarrassment.. but above all the amount of care he had for you was so heart crushing genuine.

Words whispered, sloppy trails of kisses and the need for each other.

You would have never expected him to surprise you this much.

“Good morning, sweetheart.” His voice cracks, too tired to say the words properly. He places an unexpected light peck on your forehead.

You rub your forehead trying to comprehend whatever the hell is happening.

Did he just..?

You watch him climb out of bed and walk towards the bathroom in only his underwear.

What is.. happening..?