005: Like how it was before

Love, Finally?

“Well?”

 

I furrowed my eyebrows as I gently brush my hand over the clothes before me. Nam Woohyun and Lee Howon are currently giving me that look of asking you something you should know through their eyes, but I can’t understand what they’re curious about so I just continue selecting some clothes to buy.

 

I called them all out to accompany me to do some shopping. Our reunion is getting close and I don’t have clothes to wear—well, I do have clothes but I just want my clothes for the reunion to be new, if you know what I mean.

 

So yeah, I am accompanied by my friends in this mall. I’m normally not the kind you see in malls often, crowded places are not my thing. That’s why I selected a work where I’ll be pretty much isolated from crowded places. Not having to deal with people is my goal.

 

I admit I’m friendly and all, approachable and all, accommodating and all… but I’m the type to keep my company in a small number of people. I can never be seen in parties, especially not those kind of parties held in bars.

 

You can assume that I’m… an introvert but not really? I can’t understand myself either, but I know most people are like me.

 

I felt someone else’s hand over my shoulder and found Woohyun as I turned my head to that side. I rolled my eyes because he’s giving me that puppy eyes and whenever he’s using that, he wanted to get something from me.

 

“So tell us what happened that night?”

 

“What do you mean?” I said, feigning innocence.

 

Hoya rose from his seat and held my other shoulder, now I’m I their middle. “Tell us what happened that night with Kim Myungsoo…”

 

“There’s nothing to tell.” I said and continue looking around, but I was thrown to sit down on the sofa inside that boutique.

 

“Oh you won’t feign innocence on me, Mister.” Woohyun crossed his arms together as he look down on me. “What happened? Spill it.”

 

“Woo, I really have nothing to te—“

 

“Oh sure you do.” Now, Hoya is crossing his arms together and looking down at me. I heard Dongwoo giggle beside me. “You don’t spend the night with that someone you like and nothing happens.”

 

I look away and stood up to put the hanged clothe in my hand back to its place. “Well if you must know, nothing really happened except for what I told you over the phone.” I look at them again. “He’ll pick me up on the day of our reunion and that’s it.”

 

The two looks pissed but he decided not to pay attention to them and move on to the other racks but the two followed me until then. “So is it a date?”

 

“What date? Of course not. Woohyun, that guy likes someone. And unfortunately for me, it’s not me he likes.” I said quite dejectedly earning silence from them.

 

But Woohyun is Woohyun. “Did he tell you that it isn’t you?”

 

“No. Why would he tell me that—“

 

“Then your fight is not yet over. As long as he is yet to tell you straight that it’s not you he likes, the you ain’t giving this up.” Woohyun shove me clothes that he might’ve selected for me and held me in place. “You finally get a chance to be with him even if it’s just for a night, even if he just dropped you off to your house… and you have another chance, Lee Sungyeol. Don’t back away now.”

 

If there is something I wanted to have from Woohyun, that would be his tenacity. I always looked up to him for that. But I seated back on the sofa.

 

“Woohyun, there’s no such thing as fight. Tell you what, he asked me for my number. And guess what?”

 

“What?” the two asked.

 

“He didn’t even call me. Though I’m half expecting it. He’s just keeping my number with him so he could be in contact with me on the day of our reunion.”

 

“Then you call him.” Hoya said sitting beside me. “Woohyun is right. You finally had a chance and will be having another one, don’t waste it. At least tell him how you feel.”

 

“Are you nuts? There’s no way I’d tell him.” I said and decided to stand again but Woohyu sits beside me. “Guys please, give me a break. I don’t want to—“

 

“Hey guys.”

 

Sunggyu’s arrival gave me a chance to move it and go inside the fitting room. And I can hear it from the inside that Hoya and Woohyun are grumbling.

 

I can’t help it. The day that we parted ways is the day I asked myself whether I’ll still come with him on the day of the reunion or not. I’ve been stopping myself to call him and tell him that I decided to go on my own because part of me wanted something to happen… something to change between us.

 

But I’m too scare to take risk. I finally had a chance to spent a night on his house and even have him to take me home, he even met my cat so maybe… maybe that’s enough luck for me.

 

I sighed heavily and take a look in the mirror. Maybe that’s enough for me and him. Like how it was enough back in high school days and college days.

 

I went out of the fitting room and found Woohyun holding my phone, about to answer someone’s call. I just let him and move my way in front of them to make them see how I look, but all four of them look at me from my phone, smiling creepily.

 

“Trust me, your phone rang on it’s own.”

 

“What?” I said taking my phone away from Woohyun. And I almost dropped it. Oh my God. “No way… why is he calling?” I look back at Woohyun. “You called him?”

 

“What? No way. As you can see, it’s him calling you. Not the other way around.”

 

That’s true. Kim Myungsoo’s number is flashing on my phone and it’s the younger calling me. “But why?”

 

“Ask him yourself and answer it already.” Hoya took the privilege to slide to answer and the two swarm beside me to listen to it so I nervously waited for him to talk first because I must be dreaming.

 

“Hey, Sungyeol.”

 

I’M NOT DREAMING! “H-Hey. Myungsoo? Is it really you?”

 

We heard him chuckle from the other side and Woohyun hit my back that I gasp. “Are you alright there? Are you still with your friends?”

 

“H-How did you know—“

 

“I saw you back in the restaurant near our hospital. Woohyun approached me in particular but I got to go so…”

 

“I-I see… w-what’s up?”

 

“Oh… nothing. I just wanted to hear your voice.”

 

Woohyun and Hoya exchanged glances before looking back to me. Dongwoo and Sunggyu are watching us from the sofa they’re sitting into. “W-w—“

 

He wanted to hear my voice!!!

 

I heard a sigh from Myungsoo and a sound of gulping. “I actually wanted to invite you for dinner. Do you think you can make it?”

 

I lost my senses with my legs and my friends led me to the sofa, making me sit as they continue listening to Myungsoo. “You mean like a…”

 

“You know… the usual dinner you’re having with your friends.”

 

Oh. Like friends… OOOH. “I see… And when is this?”

 

“March 13…”

 

I looked at my friends with my widened eyes. On his birthday!? “You’re kidding…”

 

“Why must I kid?”

 

“No! Um… I mean… aren’t you supposed to be spending that day with someone special? I mean it’s—“

 

“Why would I?” Myungsoo giggles from the other side once again. “It’s just a normal day… but if you have plans on that day then…”

 

Sunggyu showed me his phone with a typed message saying: He don’t usually celebrates his birthday… so just say yes. You’ll make him very happy.

 

“Then I guess—“

 

“NO! I’m coming with you!”

 

I said and I shyly sit back down on the sofa when I earned glares from the other shoppers. Myungsoo remained silent for seconds before he said… “Then it’s a date. I’ll pick you up on that night.”

 

And a beep follows that, ending our first ever call. Me and my friends remained silent until I stood up with the clothes Woohyun picked for me and the other one I’m wearing right now.

 

After I changed back to my own clothes, I go straight to the cashier. “I’m taking this all please.”

 

“Ah, sure sir.”

 

Woohyun goes beside me. “Date, huh?”

 

I only smiled at him before looking at Sunggyu. “Why didn’t you tell us that you and Myungsoo are cousins?”

 

The older shrugs. “We never really care about those details.”

 

“Then what do you mean by him not usually celebrating his birthday?” I said as I pay my purchase.

 

“I meant exactly what I just said. For Myungsoo, his birthday is just a normal day.”

 

“Maybe that will change once you spent it with him.” Dongwoo said for the first time earning a nod of approval from Woohyun, Hoya and Sunggyu.

 

--

 

On the night of March 13 with a gift at hand and on my best clothes, I turn around once more as I ask my friends about how I look that night.

 

“Am I not overdressed?”

 

“Nope.” Hoya said as he tend on whatever it was he was cooking. “You look great.”

 

“Go and make you man happy, Yeol.” Woohyun said and I sit on my swivel chair.

 

“I’m nervous as .”

 

“Pretty nerve-wracking, huh? I had that too with Gyu and I’m sure Hoya with Dongwoo. Right Hoya?”

 

“Yup.”

 

I smiled at them when Woohyun’s phone suddenly rings and he has to take it. And as if on cue, mine rings as well. I jumped from my feet when I saw who the caller is. “GUYYYYS! IT’S HIM!”

 

“Oh my God! Answer him!”

 

I pressed answer as soon as Hoya pushed me. “Hey. Are you outside now?” I asked and take a look outside our house. I furrowed my eyebrows for there’s no car yet in front of our house. “Myungsoo?”

 

I heard Woohyun who’s probably talking with Sunggyu on his own phone and a sudden feeling struck my heart. “Myungsoo?” I called him again and this time, I heard him sigh as he said ‘Okay, be right there. I’ll just end this call.’

 

“Sungyeol… hi.” His voice sounds frantic and in a hurry that I suddenly clutched my phone tighter. “I’m really sorry about this short notice but we have to cancel our date tonight.”

 

Nervousness suddenly struck my heart to that. “What? Why? Are you okay? Did something happen to you?”

 

“No, there’s nothing happened to me. I’m fine. It’s just that, they’re short in hand here in the hospital and I just can’t leave them now.”

 

*MYUNGSOO COME ON!*

 

That was Sunggyu right now… I thought as I heard Myungsoo said he’ll be right behind them while I dejectedly sit back on my chair and let out a smile as I ed my wrist buttons and let down the gift I’ve been expectantly giving to him. “I see… then okay. You better go now. They’re calling you.”

 

“Sungyeol… I’m so sorry. I’ll make it up to you—“

 

“Yes, I’ll be waiting for that then. For now go… duty calls.”

 

“Yes. I’ll call you tonight. I’m sorry.”

 

I didn’t had the chance to say something back for he already cut the line of our call. I was lost in mind when Woohyun talks from the other side of skype. I smiled and wipe away my tears.

 

“He cancelled on me…”

 

“Don’t you ing cry, Sungyeol. Duty calls, you can’t blame his profession…”

 

“I know that. That is why I’m feeling more frustrated because… because… I’m looking forward to this date. I even bought him present and—“

 

“Sssh…” Hoya said cutting me off. “How about this? Let’s meet up on Dongwoo’s bar to relieve your stress. You two looks stressed from here.”

 

“Are you serving our drinks for free?” Woohyun jokingly asked and I smiled.

 

“It’s on me tonight. So come on!”

 

“You know I hate bars…”

 

“Bars don’t hate you so pull yourself together and meet us there.”

 

“Okay.”

 

Was the last thing I said before getting on my feet and closing my laptop.

 

--

 

A day before March 13… I walked back and forth inside my office. Trying to figure it out on how I could leave tomorrow free.

 

Well you see, I asked Sungyeol out on the day of my birthday without a plan. I acted impulsively that time I asked him so now I’m in trouble.

 

A knock cut off my thought and I saw Sunggyu’s face. “What?” I greeted and move behind my table.

 

“You look troubled.”

 

“Well, I am. So get out.”

 

“Don’t give me that treatment when I’m about to help you clear your schedule tomorrow.”

 

I looked at Sunggyu surprisingly. “What do you mean?”

 

“I was with them when you called. Woohyun asked me to come to them after my shift that day.”

 

“And?”

 

“And what?”

 

“How will you help me?”

 

“Well first, ask me nicely.” He said smirking that I rolled my eyes.

 

“Fine. Please clear my schedule for me on that day…” I even let out my puppy smile that he laugh. “Yah! I’m trying my best here!”

 

“Sorry… you just look cute!” he said and pinched my cheeks leaving it stinging in pain after. “Anyway, as for my plan on clearing your schedule on that…”

 

I listened to him well… yes I did. But when I thought I’ll be happily exiting the hospital that night, an accident happens. Making me and Gyu looked at each other now tiredly and totally worn out. I can’t believe that on the day I decided to finally celebrate my day with my first love, an accident will be happening to stop it.

 

Sunggyu and I have been in and out of emergency rooms, consoling parents that were in deep sorrow for their loss and telling other parents how their child survives. We’ve been doing this since last night and still doing it tonight. The night of my supposed to be first birthday spent with Sungyeol.

 

I occupied one of the sit inside the pantry and sipped from my coffee. It’s almost midnight now… my day is nearly over.

 

“Happy birthday to you Kim Myungsoo…” I said to myself. I received some messages from my friends and family. Dad even sent me gifts straight from where they are. Moonsoo sent me his report card telling me he aced his exams and Mom called me to sing a happy birthday song for me.

 

I’ve been spending it like that. I’ve spent my whole life like that. Not that I mind. I hate parties anyway so I personally asked them not to give me one whenever. But tonight I thought it’ll be different. But no…

 

“It’s the same as before…”

 

I lean back against my seat and sighs. When I was to get out, my phone rings and I take a look at it. Sungyeol?

 

I answered it immediately. “Sungyeo—“

 

“Hi! I’m here at the lobby! They won’t let me in and when I asked for you they told me to call you so I can verify my identity so—“

 

“Wait wait wait… what are you saying?” I said and exited the pantry. “Where are you again?”

 

“… the candles are melting! Um… I’m here at the hospital lobby! I thought it’ll be okay for me to pretend that I don’t know your birthday but… SURPRISE! I know about it ever since we’re high school so you better step it up and come pick me up here or the candles will spoilt your cake!”

 

I stopped on my tracks as I saw Sungyeol before the information desk girl. A cake at his hand, phone between his shoulder and ear and a black paper bag…

 

“You knew it since High school?”

 

“Myungsoo, can we talk about it later and come here faster? I’m having a hard time here.”

 

I smiled. He sure is having a hard time and I can see it from here. “Will you sing me a birthday song?”

 

I saw how his face blushed and I smiled more widely. “I’ll sing you one if you hurry.”

 

I made my way slowly to him. “Promise?”

 

“Promised! So hurry up here—“

 

I took his phone and held his waist to support him. He froze beneath my hold and he slowly look at me. It took him a while to look at me… “Hey…”

 

“H-hey… I heard from Woohyun… Sunggyu told him so…”

 

“Yeah. I’m so sorry about—“

 

“Don’t say sorry. It’s okay. You promised to make it up on me right?”

 

I led him to where my office is after leaving instruction to the girl beside us. Once inside, Sungyeol placed the cake on the center of my table and cheerfully look at me before looking at his watch. “We still have five minutes so… Happy birthday to you… Happy birthday to you… happy birthday, dear Myungsoo! Happy birthday to youuuu!”

 

I looked at him and the cake at his hands before me. He’s panting from an obvious run, his hair disheveled and his clothes kind of undone. His eyes are twinkling as he looks at me that I lost it suddenly.

 

“Oh my God!” he placed the cake back down. “Why are you crying?! Are you hurt somewhere?”

 

I shook my head and felt his hand gently wiping my tears away. And here I thought it’ll be the same way as before. With me spending this day alone and away from my family…

 

“No… I’m just glad that I’m wrong this time…”

 

“Wrong in what?” he asked. But instead of answering his question, I blew off my candle and take him in my arms.

 

“Thank you for this day… having you here is enough.”

 

His heart beats erratically as he pull away from me. He looks away and awkwardly scratched his nape. “Um… I think I better go. I run out of the bar where I was before coming here. I was with Woohyun and Hoya… I didn’t tell them that I’ll be here.”

 

“What’s this?” I asked not minding what he said just now. “Present?”

 

“Ah… yes. Sorry about that. I had a hard time picking one out for you so I ended up buying you two.”

 

“Two?”

 

He nods and I opened one. The one paper bag is bigger than the other which are clothes. Black clothes. “You knew I like black?”

 

“Yes.”

 

I nod nonchalantly and reached for the other one. “And this is?”

 

He looks at me. “I saw it and… I kind of hoping to see you with it again instead of seeing you with stethoscope and charts at hand. Let’s say… I miss how it was before…”

 

I was stuck for a moment as I saw what the other gift is. 

 

--

 

A/N: I've missed my usual updates for this... I'm sorry.