009: Almost is never enough

Love, Finally?

A week passed of Sungyeol only receiving gifts from Myungsoo. A week of calls he’s always waiting for even if it’s already late at night. Never did he ever thought of him waking up at 3am anticipating to hear someone from the other line without actually raining death threats on whoever it is calling him in that hour. A week of exchanging messages and facetime. A week of trying to be okay not seeing Myungsoo.

 

It’s been a week since that date which Sungyeol thinks became a disaster, but he never regretted on not saying yes to Myungsoo immediately because who is he kidding? They only settled their feelings that night and only concluded that they want each other in their lives but they still have a lot of catching up to do. And when we say catching up, this means the happenings while they’re apart. It’s certainly not because they are both entitled to know about it, but because they both wanted to know about it, or maybe not both? Maybe Sungyeol only.

 

Sungyeol adjusted his eyeglasses and continue working on something that is supposed to be done long ago but some stupid intern messed all the data up causing Sungyeol and his team to stay longer in their office in a late Friday night. He was supposed to be home now, relaxing with Woohyun and Hoya who decided to visit him and become weird together, but on the last minute, he has to cancel on his friends and their night all because of that stupid intern’s fault.

 

He wanted to scream and scold the hell out of that intern but what can he do? He doesn’t have the heart to do it at all. So instead of thinking on how to get back on that intern, he just decided to just work on it all over again and just shut up so he could finish it as soon as he can.

 

He tapped the table lightly as he watch the loading with ellipsis on his screen. He’s retrieving some data that got erased three hours ago and he’s still on that one until he remembered something once he saw his phone lighten up.

 

Myungsoo is probably in the hospital now.

 

He takes his phone over the piled up paper in front of him and see who texted him. When he saw Woohyun’s name, he pressed exit and typed another message for Myungsoo.

 

He was half way finishing his rant to the younger when he thought of calling him instead of texting. He slyly smiled and dialed the younger’s number. The ring got cut off in three tries before someone picked up. His usual smile spread on his lips.

 

“Myung-“

 

“Sungyeol?”

 

His expression dropped as soon as he recognized the voice. “Sunggyu? Where is Myungsoo?

 

“Doing rounds, he just got out.”

 

“He left his phone in his office?”

 

“Yup. Why? Something wrong?”

 

“Nothing, I just wanted to… never mind. Anyway, can you tell him to call me back? I’m kind of bored here in our office and-“

 

“You’re still in your office?” He hummed and he heard Sunggyu click his tongue. “No wonder Woohyun is asking me to come home. You cancelled on them?”

 

“I have to. Some intern from our department messed up.”

 

“Figured it out. You never work overtime.”

 

He chuckles because Sunggyu and his other friends knew everything about him hating to work in late hours especially when it’s passed his working hours. “Exactly. Imagine me suppressing everything inside me just so I wouldn’t say harsh words on that intern. Gosh, it was hell.”

 

Sunggyu laughs. “I see. So that how it is. Does that mean you’re going home later tonight? What time? I can pick you up.”

 

“Ah, no. I’m good. I can go home by myself…”

 

Lies. He actually wanted Myungsoo to take him home, an excuse of him on wanting to see the younger.

 

“Are you sure?”

 

“Uh, yeah. I’m sure. Don’t forget to tell Myungsoo to call me back once he’s back from his rounds, okay?”

 

“Alright, got it.”

 

“Thanks, Gyu. I’m hanging up.”

 

He put his phone back to where he took it before leaning back against his seat again. He roams his eyes around the office where his whole team are sleepily waiting for that loading sign to stop and go 100%. He sighs tiredly he just had the urge of seeing Myungsoo.

 

He goes out of their office to maybe go around the whole building. But then he sees himself in front the elevator, waiting for it to come to the floor he’s into, with his car keys on his other hand.

 

Even if it’s just for a while… Once I saw him even if it’s just for a while, I’ll go back here…

 

He was about to step inside the elevator when someone called him.

 

“Mr. Lee!”

 

The stupid intern. He almost rolled his eyes but then he decided to stay and wait for the intern to come. “What is it? Do you need anything?”

 

The girl fidgeted in front of him, holding two cups of coffee as she stares down. What does she want?

 

“I’m so sorry for what I’ve caused you and your team, Mr. Lee… I didn’t mean to do it…”

 

Here we go again. He flashed a smile as he lean against the elevator doors that is open to stop it from closing.

 

“I already told you, its okay. Now, be a good girl and go back to where the others are, okay? I need to step out for a while.”

 

The girl noticed him holding his car keys. “May I know where are you going exactly so I could inform the others-“

 

“No, you can’t. So, again. Be a good girl and go back to where the others are. You’ll help me that way.”

 

He stepped inside the elevator and pressed the close button as soon as he’s inside, not caring of whatever he intern still saying before the closing.

 

He weakly stares at his own reflection in the elevator. He really wanted to just go and see Myungsoo… really really wanted to see Myungsoo.

 

Again, he let out a sigh. He promised himself to only settle on seeing him, that’s it.

 

Meanwhile, Myungsoo finished his rounds and goes back to his office when Sunggyu who obviously came from the inside came out.

 

“What are you doing there?”

 

“I’m here to return some things to you.” Sunggyu smiled sheepishly. “You’re not on duty tonight right?”

 

He shook his head. “This is my last round tonight. I’m thinking of calling Sungyeol so we could see-“

 

“Here, call him back. He asked me to tell you that.”

 

He stares blankly on his phone which Sunggyu placed on his palm. “Wait, what did you just say?”

 

Sunggyu walks away slowly. “Sungyeol called just now. He wanted you to call him back.”

 

“You answered his call-“

 

“Yeah, so go on. Call him back. Who knows, he might be waiting for you.”

 

He stand still for a while before he scroll on his call logs, and there really is Sungyeol’s name in the received calls not more than fifteen minutes ago. His heart starts pounding as he taps the call button. He waited for the call to connect while biting his lower lip with anticipation…

 

Only to hear someone’s phone ringing behind him along with someone panting. He slowly looks behind him and he almost dropped his phone.

 

“Sungyeol? What are you-“

 

“I drive to get here fast… I… I just… I just really missed you and I… I wanted to see you so…”

 

Myungsoo couldn’t suppress the smile appearing on his lips, making the taller stop talking.

 

“Wait, you drive? I mean… I thought you don’t have a car and-“

 

“My Dad processed my license fast and I know how to drive even before so… yeah.”

 

“Whose car did you used to get here?”

 

“My Dad’s…”

 

Myungsoo walks closer to Sungyeol, wiping away the sweat on the taller’s forehead.

 

“I missed you too-“

 

“Time’s up!”

 

Myungsoo furrowed his eyebrows to that. “What?”

 

“I only said to myself that I’ll only go here to see you. Now that I-“ Sungyeol suddenly hugged him tightly and he don’t know how to react suddenly until the taller let him go. “I’m fully charged now!”

 

Sungyeol flashed him the gummy smile he always loved and he can’t do anything but to smile as well despite not really getting into what the taller was pointing. Instead, he walked him out of the hospital while holding his hands firmly. He saw a white sedan car in front of the hospital and Sungyeol beamed at him.

 

“Here’s my baby… I need to go back to where my team is. They’re probably waiting for me.”

 

“You’re still in your office?” Sungyeol nods and Myungsoo opened the car door. “Tell me you’ll ditch this car so I could take you home myself.”

 

The taller rolled his eyes but giggles as he nods nonchalantly. “Alright. Tell me-“

 

Sungyeol didn’t get to finish what he was saying because Myungsoo planted a kiss on his lips and it didn’t took him long to respond before he clings on the younger’s shoulder’s to deepen the kiss, and Myungsoo did.

 

The night is cold and only a few passerby’s’ can see them, but both of them really paid attention on who can see them. All Myungsoo knows is that he misses Sungyeol and was glad to see him even if it’s just for a while, and as for Sungyeol, he misses Myungsoo and was glad he made the right choice of driving himself to where the younger is.

 

Myungsoo let him go panting not after kissing his forehead before he actually pull away, making Sungyeol shiver because it’s cold.

 

“I’ll see you later then.” His dimply smiles made Sungyeol smile as well as he closes the door and drove away.

 

--

 

Myungsoo happily goes back to his office and finishes whatever it is that still left for him to do before he go and pick Sungyeol up. A knock on the door made him jolt in place but then it was only Sunggyu.

 

“You’re coming?” the older asked and Myungsoo shook his head and continue preparing to leave.

 

“I’ll go to where Sungyeol is. He was just here.”

 

“He was just here? Are you serious?”

 

“Yup, he was. So, I gotta go.”

 

“Myungsoo, you do know that your dongsaeng is arriving tonight right? You have to go pick Moonsoo up-“

 

“You can do that for me, right Gyu? Because right now, I just wanted to see Sungyeol and take him back home.”

 

“I can do that but I won’t do it. Moonsoo is expecting you to come and pick him up, Myung. Don’t make him hope and wait there for nothing only to be disappointed.”

 

Myungsoo squinted his eyes towards Sunggyu. “You… why do you have to say it that way?”

 

Sunggyu shrugs. “Because if you really wanted Moonsoo to say yes to this relationship of yours, you have to be nice to him, for all we know that he is one hell of a kid.”

 

Myungsoo knows exactly that. He has a little brother that is exactly like him, more than like him, to easy put. Moonsoo is… someone we can call, someone who don’t give a about everything that doesn’t really makes him curious, so much like him but different altogether.

 

But Moonsoo is sweet to him and also idolizing him, so he’s expecting Moonsoo to be the first one is his family to accept whatever it is that is happening to him that moment.

 

“But… Sungyeol is waiting for me to come pick him up.”

 

“Then how about…”

 

--

 

Sungyeol bids goodbye to his team and waited in front of their building. It’s been three hours since he last saw Myungsoo and they’ve been texting since then so he knows that Myungsoo is nearing his location so he just stand still.

 

He’s feeling happy. Maybe they will go somewhere before Myungsoo actually take him home. He adjusted the scarf around his neck and look around. The security guard greeted him and he greeted back, until the oh-so-familiar car stopped in front of him. He smiled immediately and approached the car.

 

Myungsoo lower down the mirror on his side. “Hop in.”

 

“Thanks.” He said and open the door and seated in the passenger seat. “Have you waited long?”

 

“Nope, I have something to do before I come here.”

 

“Oh, really?”

 

He took off his scarf and someone at the back scoff making Sungyeol looks back abruptly. “Oh my gosh! A miniature!”

 

“Who is he, hyung?”

 

Hyung? Myungsoo beside him looks at him apologetically. “I’m sorry I didn’t inform you about it, but Sungyeol, meet my little brother, Moonsoo.”

 

“Your little brother?”

 

“Yeah, he just got back from overseas too… he’ll be attending school here.”

 

Moonsoo and Sungyeol exchanged glances and Sungyeol is the first one to look away. This can only be mean… We’re not going anywhere.

 

He slumped back on his seat, half wishing that he should just go home by himself afterall, but then, he really wanted to see Myungsoo.

 

“Sungyeol, have you eaten? I’m thinking of bringing you two in a restaurant before we actually go home.”

 

“I’m okay if we eat first, hyung.”

 

“I’m fine with it.”

 

The two look at each other again and Myunsoo cleared his throat, suddenly feeling the tension circling around the car.

 

“Okay…” Myungsoo said as he pulls off the car to the other way.

 

The pressure inside Myungsoo’s car is suffocating. Never in Sungyeol’s wildest imagination that he’ll meet someone from Myungsoo’s family side, and meeting one when he’s least expecting it is so damn shook him, he doesn’t even know how he should act now that someone is there with them.

 

Myungsoo sees Sungyeol’s uneasiness and for a moment, he wanted to just take the taller home and take his brother home as well.

 

Moonsoo have been asking on why he should be sitting at the back when he could just sit in the passenger seat, and who knows if that pissed his brother’s off.

 

Moonsoo didn’t talk much and that’s to be expected. Even while they’re eating, Sungyeol who was actually talkative didn’t talk much as well and for Myungsoo, that’s just insane, making him think that it’s all a matter of bad timing.

 

Myungsoo stepped out of his car just so he could see Sungyeol off and to apologize as well.

 

“I’m sorry for not telling you that I have a plus one with me…”

 

“It’s okay. I don’t mind.” Sungyeol tried to smile it off but it’s showing in his face that he’s not actually happy with it. “I think I should go… my little brother is still awake and-“

 

The gate opened revealing a sleepy Daeyeol with Jureumi on his arms. “Hyung? Are you back finally?”

 

“Oh my gosh, Daeyeol! You really waited for me?”

 

“Yeah, otherwise no one will open the door for you… you forgot your keys here.” He said and put Jureumi down.

 

Moonsoo who lowered down the window on his side saw Daeyeol, making him take his headphones on.

 

He can’t actually hear what it was they were talking about but something caught his eyes just now making him stepped out of the car as well.

 

“What is that thing?”

 

The three looked at Moonsoo who was giving Jureumi the look of confusion, amazement and disgust.

 

“Our Jureumi is not a thing.” Daeyeol picks up the cat again and run his palms over its body. “It’s a cat. Can’t you see?”

 

Sungyeol and Myungsoo exchanged glances.

 

“That’s a cat?”

 

Daeyeol raised eyebrows, and that’s the moment Sungyeol have to pull his brother back to their house or else-

 

“Are you blind and a deaf? Yes it’s a cat. Oh my gosh, you’re so stupid-“

 

“Yah, Lee Daeyeol, stop that.”

 

“What? What did I do? He just called Jureumi a thing-“

 

“That doesn’t give you enough reason to call him stupid-“

 

“Hyung, what kind of cat is that?”

 

“It’s a sphynx, Moonsoo. A hairless cat.”

 

“There’s a cat like that? Wow…”

 

Moonsoo reached out for Jureumi only to be slapped by Daeyeol which Sungyeol reprimands him to. “Lee Daeyeol! Manners!”

 

“He called Jureumi a-“

 

“Lee Daeyeol, shut up this instant or else-“

 

The Kim bro’s looked at each other before they continue watching the bickering Lee’s.

 

“Who is he anyway? Why is he with Myungsoo-hyung? And why do he look like him?”

 

Myungsoo giggled, Sungyeol rolled his eyes and Moonsoo let out a smug face. “Now who’s stupid?”

 

“What did you just say?”

 

“I said you’re stupid as well-“

 

“Kim Moonsoo, stop it.”

 

Moonsoo this time rolled out his eyes and looks at Sungyeol. “Sungyeol-hyung, is it okay to come here again in some other day so I could properly pet your cat?”

 

Sungyeol was a bit taken back but he then nods earning a disgruntled reaction from Daeyeol. Moonsoo smies and Myungsoo was shocked.

 

What the just happened? They made my dongsaeng smile.

 

“What’s its name, Sungyeol-hyung?”

 

“Um… Jureumi and like what your hyung say, it’s a sphynx.”

 

“Can I come here next time so I could pet it?”

 

“Uh, yeah sure. You are welcome to come here. I’m sure Daeyeol here will be delighted to accommodate you anytime. Right Dae?” he eyed Daeyeol sharply and the younger nods.

 

Moonsoo smiles again making Myungsoo feel a little dizzy. His brother never really smiles that way. Is it about the cat? Or is it because of… he looks at Daeyeol. Maybe Daeyeol?

 

As soon as they are alone in his car on their way back to Myungsoo’s home, Daeyeol sighed dreamily.

 

“Tired?”

 

“Is that the Lee Sungyeol you were talking about, Hyung?”

 

His grip tightens against the handle and nods slowly. “The one and only.”

 

“Other than his brother, I don’t think I have a problem on accepting him hyung…”

 

“Daeyeol? He’s nice though-“

 

“He hated me.”

 

“And?”

 

“And what?” Moonsoo snaps that Myungsoo giggles.

 

“Do you hate him back?”

 

“Hell yes.”

 

“If you say so.”

 

--

 

The day of the reunion came, and Myungsoo is sitting erectly in the Lee’s living room, waiting for Sungyeol to come down. They all decided to just go to the venue together by convoying. Woohyun and Hoya are helping Sungyeol to prepare while Moonsoo is sitting with Daeyeol playing video games in the living room. Jureumi is sitting on Moonsoo’s lap and he’s glad that everything escalated quickly.

 

He’s happy to know that Moonsoo and Daeyeol became friends eventually after a lot of bickering. Moonsoo chose to attend Daeyeol’s school so it’ll only be easy for him to make friends with Daeyeol’s friends, and for Myungsoo to actually see that finally happening after a long time, is more than anything in this world as Moonsoo’s older brother. Moonsoo have shut a lot of people out of his life, only letting his family members in. But hey, Moonsoo’s story is a whole lot different from his own so, yeah. He wouldn’t talk about it here.

 

Myungsoo looks at his wrist watch one last time before he looks around for the umpteenth time. He’s nervous to death. Out of all the push and pulls he and Sungyeol have done, this is probably the last time Myungsoo could prove the taller how much he really means to him. It goes up and down so many times before they get there, and now that they’re finally there, there’s no way he’d turn his back now.

 

Moonsoo watched his hyung as he fidgeted on his seat waiting for Sungyeol to come down. Myungsoo looks like he’s waiting for his Princess to come down, only this time, it’s a Prince coming down to see him as well. For Moonsoo, that’s weird and somewhat magical and wonderful. His hyung is never really the kind to open up to people; maybe it runs to their genes because it takes a long time for them to actually let people in. Watching his hyung nervously waiting made him think, is love this powerful to make the most powerful and coolest person for him to look vulnerable and plain stupid?

 

Jureumi moves against his body and goes to Daeyeol who pressed a finger on his cheek, making him turn to Daeyeol.

 

“If you think about going against their relationship, I’ll kick you out.”

 

He slaps Daeyeol’s hand away making the other giggle. “I’m not thinking that way. I just can’t keep up with the fact that my hyung is-“

 

“You actually have problems with them?”

 

He shook his head. “What makes my hyung happy, makes me more happier… so I wouldn’t take it away from him.”

 

“So what’s up with the look you’re giving him? Shouldn’t you be looking at him happier?”

 

“I am happy for him and for your brother… I just can’t shake off the feeling because… it’s not only me in our family, Daeyeol. I’m not the devil of our family.”

 

Daeyeol’s eyes didn’t look away from Moonsoo and take some chips from the wrapper. “It doesn’t matter as long as they love each other right?”

 

“Does it always work that way, Daeyeol?”

 

Myungsoo suddenly stands and the maknaes look at his way. Myungsoo is already looking up to the stairway. Sungyeol is standing there at the far upper end, with Woohyun and Hoya behind him.

 

He’s wearing an all-white outfit, looking like a Prince. Moonsoo lean towards Daeyeol.

 

“I thought they’re going to the reunion?”

 

“I thought so too…”

 

“They look like they’re going on their wedding, what the ?”

 

“Maybe the theme of their reunion is fairytale.”

 

The two of them giggles. Myungsoo reached out for Sungyeol’s hand. As Sungyeol stands before Myungsoo, the two maknaes walks towards them.

 

“Hyung, is your reunion a fairytale themed? I swear you two looks like Princes.”

 

Sungyeol rolled his eyes. “Don’t even ask, Lee Daeyeol.”

 

“I’m just-“

 

Moonsoo shove chips inside Daeyeol’s mouth to shut him up. “You guys better get going. Enjoy the rest of the night, hyungs.”

 

Sungyeol smiled happily at him and nods before Myungsoo led him outside. Myungsoo opened the door for him and Sungyeol smiles sweetly at him.

 

Once they’re inside the car, Myungsoo let out a sigh before he looks beside him again.

 

“You look amazing…”

 

“Back to you, Kim.”

 

They both giggle and it slowly run out and they continue staring before Myungsoo started the car.

 

“Shall we go to the place where it didn’t happen?”

 

“And make it finally happen?”

 

“Yeah…”

 

“Then I guess, let’s go.”

 

“Glad to.”

 

And their car sped away, letting the others trailed off behind them. They held hands and one thing are stuck in their minds.

 

They’ll make it happen this time.

 

--

 

A/N: I can’t promise that I won’t give these two problems in the last two chapters so… please be ready and don’t hate me. Lol. See you soon~