010: I think I love you better now

Love, Finally?

Many things caught Sungyeol’s attention as soon as they get inside of their school’s gymnasium. One that didn’t go unnoticed is how the venue is lighten up by some Christmas lights and halogen lights. A big disco ball in the middle, thin cloths hanging around beautifully around the whole gym, the stage is nicely designed as well and a projector is flashing some of the pictures probably taken from their batch mates and arranged by their organizers. If you can only look at it, it looks like it comes from a cheap funding, but if you mind the effort; you’ll appreciate the whole thing.

 

“Merry Christmas…” he whispers towards Myungsoo who giggles beside him.

 

“You… you’re so mean. Just because they can’t hear you saying bad things about their decorations…” he pulled him closer to him and whispers back. “Let’s look for a mistletoe maybe it’s around here somewhere.”

 

“You’re a meanie as well.” But he can’t actually stop himself from being excited. What if they really found mistletoe, will he kiss him underneath it?

 

He look around until they saw the registration booth. There they saw Sungjong and Krystal handing out badges for the attendees. The two immediately smiles at Myungsoo as he follows the other closely. He don’t know the meaning behind those smiles, but he smiles back.

 

“You two looks dashing.” Krystal says and he swears he blushes.

 

“And you two, I can’t believe you set out a theme like this- I mean look at everyone? Looking so childish and all.” Myungsoo snorts as he hands Sungyeol his own badge.

 

“Don’t mind his cheeky remarks, it’s cute. I’m Sung-“

 

“Sungyeol. We know.” The two looks at each other and giggles while Myungsoo look away and clears his throat.

 

“Oh.” He said pulling away his hand. “Anyway, you did a great job here. I like the decorations.”

 

Myungsoo rolled his eyes knowingly only to be hit by Sungyeol on his side.

 

“Thank you, Oppa. Anyway, don’t hesitate to look around. Most of the teachers from our batch are here already.”

 

Sungyeol and Myungsoo leave them alone and decided to look around like they told so. They can see Woohyun and Hoya talking to a teacher that’s familiar for both of them.

 

“isn’t that Mr. Lee?”

 

“Yes. Let’s go there and say hi.”

 

Their former teacher smiles as soon as he sees them. “If it isn’t my cheeky Lee Sungyeol! Wow, you’ve grown!” he gives him a tight hug like a father misses his son before he turns to Myungsoo. “And my Kim Myungsoo! Did you two arrived together?”

 

Myungsoo nods and hugs the old man back. “Nice to see you well and healthy, Sir. It’s been so long.”

 

The old man cheekily laughs. “I can only see you guys in many social media sites. I’m relieved you guys are doing well in your chosen career.” He turns to Myungsoo. “Though I wasn’t expecting you to be a nurse, Myungsoo. I expected you to be a photographer.”

 

Myungsoo lets out a uncomfortable smile and faced downwards. “Well, things happen and people change, Sir.”

 

“Don’t give me that, kid. I know how much you love photography other than many other things. But anyway, I didn’t come here to spoil the evening, so you young ones, enjoy the rest of the evening and hook up.”

 

The four of them says yes in chorus but rolled eyes after. They know better.

 

“Where’s Dongwoo and Sunggyu-hyung?” Sungyeol asked after they find themselves seats, not too far from the stage.

 

“They go look around and look for their own batch mates.” Woohyun answers and raised his hands to ask the waiter for their drink. Myungsoo gives him a drink and he murmurs a thanks.

 

“That reminds me, I saw a former friend back there… do you mind if I leave you here for a while?” Myungsoo leans closer to say to him and he shakes his head.

 

“I don’t mind. I’ll be fine here.”

 

“Are you sure?”

 

“Yes. Go ahead. Hoya and Woohyun are here, I’ll be fine.”

 

“Alright. I’ll be back soon.”

 

He watch Myungsoo as he goes towards his friends. He looks dashing and wonderful to look at as he walks across the wide gym. If it isn’t for the colorful decorations and Christmas lights, he’ll think it was Myungsoo giving light inside the whole gym. He sighs dreamily before looking to his now knowingly looking at him friends.

 

“Why are you looking at me like that?”

 

“Looking like what?” Hoya says, playing with ice inside his mouth.

 

“Looking like you’re about to tease me non-stop tonight.”

 

“We won’t. We’re just happy to see that glow in your eyes as you look at him.”

 

He smiles. “Well… you know what’s going to happen tonight, right? I’m excited as and at the same time, very nervous.”

 

Woohyun slides beside him and Hoya goes around to sit beside him as well. These two are as excited as him as he laid out his plan for that night.

 

“You’ll finally… finally have the one and only man you ever loved, Yeollie. That’s the greatest thing I can ever wish for you.” Woohyun said and hugs him. “I’m so happy for you, though it’s yet to happen.”

 

“And we know it’s going to happen. Right?” he nods and Hoya murmurs a I know it will before hugging him as well.

 

He takes a look at where is Myungsoo is and found him still talking to his friends, until someone caught his eye. Someone familiar.

 

“I feel like I’ve seen that girl somewhere…”

 

Woohyun looks to where he was looking. “Isn’t that Doyeon?”

 

“Doyeon?” he asks and Woohyun nods.

 

“That Doyeon. She’s the confirmed girlfriend, right? I remember Myungsoo waiting for her outside the gym whenever it’s going home time. Then weeks later, it was confirmed they’re dating. They didn’t last though.” Woohyun shrugs it off as if it’s nothing but for him… it feels like hell inside his chest.

 

Myungsoo is laughing with whatever that Doyeon is saying and he doesn’t like it the least.

 

“I remember you not caring too much about it though. You’re not yet inlove with him when they happen.”

 

“Whatever.” He said and turn his back to the scene. “I don’t like him there, Woo.”

 

His friend raised his eyebrows. “Then go get your man there. What are you waiting for?”

 

“As if I can ing do that.” He hissed and Woohyun almost kicked his shin.

 

“You ing coward- just go there and ask him to come back because we’re going to talk about something! I know that Doyeon will drool over you as well.”

 

“As if I ing care about that Woo. Isn’t she married or something?”

 

“Newly annulled, according to what I heard.” Hoya said and pulls the chair beside him for Dongwoo. Sunggyu came too, sitting beside Woohyun. Now he feels lonely.

 

“Newly annulled?” he pushes Hoya to continue.

 

“So if I were you, go there and pull Myungsoo away from that snake or else.”

 

A burst of energy washed over him as he made her way towards Myungsoo and that girl, but then the other looks at his side so instead of going straight to him, he goes around straight to the buffet table.

 

Like what the , Lee Sungyeol.

 

“Sungyeol!” it’s a voice of someone familiar to him so he turns to face that someone. “Sungyeol-hyung!”

 

“Niel? You’re here?! How are you, man!” he pulls the younger for a hug. “I didn’t know you’ll be here.”

 

“Well maybe if you look around, you’ll see me.” He pouts. “Anyway, how are you? I saw you arriving with the Kim Myungsoo!”

 

“Aish, ssssh!” he said and covered the younger’s mouth who only giggles. ”Don’t start our conversation with that name. Anyway, how are you?”

 

“Well, I’m well as you can see. But I’m more curious about you and Myungsoo though. Are you guys okay now? I mean, finally together?”

 

“No…” he looks down. “At least not now.”

 

“You mean you will after now?” he bits his lips and Niel smiles widely. “Wow hyung, I’m happy for you! Don’t forget about me okay?”

 

“Forget you for what?”

 

“Your wedding, silly!”

 

“Yah, Niel!”

 

“Anyway, I’ve seen your picture with him in the screen there at the organizer’s side.”

 

“Picture?” he furrowed his eyebrows. “What picture?”

 

But Niel only looks at his wrist watch. “The program is about to start. I’ll see you later, hyung.”

 

“Wai- Niel! Answer me!”

 

But the younger makes his way towards the stage and jumped to be up of it. The music is immediately cut off. “Welcome ladies, gentlemen and undecided.” The crowd laughs to that and he smiles. That kid really knows how to make the mood up that he shook his head. “I’ll be your MC for tonight so be thankful because you’ll be able to hear my voice for this whole night. Anyway, before this night ends, we’re going to announce the Darlings of the night. We’ll be doing a lot of raffles too and under your tables, there are ball pens and paper where you can write something towards the person whom you wanted to say something before but couldn’t.” Niel sighs lazily. “This is pathetic. Why didn’t you just tell him or her face-to-face? Anyway, let’s start the party!”

 

The lights went off and the music starts buzzing again replaced by the disco ball that started rotating as soon as Niel leaves the stage.

 

Myungsoo goes near him and handed him a plate. “Is that guy bothering you?”

 

He shook his head and face the buffet table. “Where’s Doyeon? Isn’t she the one you’re talking to earlier?”

 

“Oh, Doyeon? She’s around. What do you want to eat?”

 

He bites his lower lip out of happiness. He wanted to jump around happily because Myungsoo didn’t even care about that woman and he’s happy for that. He took the first step to mark what he thinks he owns. He presses his body close to Myungsoo.

 

“I eat whatever you put in my plate as long as it’s not poisoned.”

 

Myungsoo put a chicken on his plate and smiles. “You really are not picky when it comes to foods. You’re really the type I love the most, since I eat a lot. With you, I know I can go around the world and eat whatever.”

 

“Well, be thankful. I’m not a picky eater.”

 

“That’s why I love you.”

 

His hand suddenly presses down through the punch bowl, making it almost fall on the ground if it isn’t for Myungsoo’s quick reflexes and the two waiters holding on to it before it even hit the ground.

 

Now he feels sticky that he cussed mentally.

 

“Are you okay?”

 

“Uh… Yeah. , sorry.”

 

The waiters says it was okay. Myungsoo turns him around to make him face the younger.

 

“Are you alright? Let’s go to the washroom.”

 

“No, it’s okay. I can manage.”

 

“Are you sure?”

 

“Yes.”

 

But before he can even take a step, he was stopped by the sudden gasped from the people around them and even him stops and stare to the projector.

 

Because the picture being projected to the white cloth to the stage is him and Myungsoo… going different ways but was looking at each other.

 

He remembers that day.

 

That’s the day where his class goes to the gym for PE class and the moment they goes inside, Myungsoo’s class is done with their own class. He remembers following Myungsoo as he goes out of the gym and the younger looks his way.

 

But what the hell, he swears he look away soon that day. But it was caught in the camera? He swear he could kiss whoever did it for them.

 

Because back then, he can only look at Myungsoo and the younger never look back at him. But in that picture… it caught the actual moment where they’re both looking at each other and that’s exactly something what he dreamed of.

 

“Looks like the judges finally chosen a winner for this game. This picture is taken by Taller Guy than Lee Sungyeol, thank me later hyung – Oh hey, that’s me! I can’t believe I won!”

 

While everyone is clapping their hands for Niel and as they let him explain the essence of that picture he quickly goes to the bathroom and there, he can clearly see how flustered he is.

 

“Niel, I could kiss you for this!” he said with a gritted teeth.

 

Because in that picture, he clearly wins this night. He marked his territory like how every friends of his asked him to.

 

Once he’s out of the washroom, Myungsoo is standing outside the door and perks up as soon as he sees him,

 

“Sungyeol, I’m so sorry about that picture. I swear I didn’t see it coming. I’ll just kill Niel for it and-“

 

“Myungsoo, it’s okay. I don’t mind.”

 

Myungsoo went silent and scratch the back of his head. “So… you don’t mind the picture?”

 

“No. DO you?”

 

“No. Not at all.”

 

“Then that’s good. Let’s go back?”

 

Myungsoo let out his usual dimply smiles and nods. This time, it was Sungyeol who took his hand and squeezed it gently as they go back to their seats. Everyone around them are happy. Some are happy, some are not, some are shocked, some doesn’t care, but hey, he don’t give a damn about those people. What matters to him is his own feelings and Myungsoo’s.

 

Their friends didn’t stop teasing them the whole night but Myungsoo is there to always defend him against the very eager and no mercy Woohyun and Hoya who’s savage as when it comes to his teasings.

 

It was such a wonderful night until Niel announced the Darlings of the Night.

 

“Kim Myungsoo…” he lazily said because he can’t join the said program since he’s the MC. “and Kim Doyeon.”

 

While everyone is clapping their hands for the winning partners, he couldn’t help it but get all jealous again, but he can only smile for everyone to know that he’s not bitter about it at all. Well, he’s bitter about it, but he won’t show it to everyone. More jealous right now that Myungsoo is placing that fake tiara to some other girl and that other girl happens to be his ex-girlfriend and is now flirting with Myungsoo boldly.

 

“Remember he’s yours once he’s off the stage. Chill your , dude.”

 

He’s happy enough to have his friends beside him or else he’ll stormed out of that event and go home while he’s self-esteem and jealousy is eating him up.

 

Before Myungsoo goes off the stage, he saw the younger gives Niel a small paper.

 

Niel opens the said paper and smiles instantly. “Our Darling of the Night has a message for someone special for him tonight.”

 

He gulps. Is he that someone special? Or is it that Doyeon? Does Myungsoo realized he likes her again and forgets everything about him? Them?

 

He’s so close to puking once Niel started to read the latter Myungsoo gives him.

 

“To the person whom I never thought I needed in my life…” he starts and the teasing starts as well. “I thought I could only look at you from a far and I thought I already lost my chance when fate didn’t goes to our own way… you don’t know how those smiles makes me happy just by seeing it every day as I watch you from a far. I thought I can never fall in love until I looked at your way and started watching your every move. You never fail to make me happy, I missed you so much and I’m glad you’re back in my life.” He folded the paper and looks at Doyeon who was standing next to him. “So, Doyeon-ssi, what do you say about that?”

 

--

 

“Sungyeol! The party is not over yet, where are you going?”

 

Sungyeol continues walking and didn’t mind turning around to look at Myungsoo who’s obviously trailing behind him. He’s the last person he wanted to see that night.

 

“Go back inside, Myungsoo.”

 

“But, where are you going?”

 

“I just remembered that I have work tomorrow. I don’t have plans on skipping so… I better go home.”

 

“I’ll just call your boss and tell them you’re with me-“

 

“No, I don’t think that’s a very good idea.”

 

“I don’t think he’d mind, Sungyeol. The owner of that company you’re working on is a friend of my family.”

 

“Ah, really?” he paused for a while, acting like he’s thinking deeply. “I’d still go to work, thank you. I’ll go now.”

 

“But Sungyeol-“

 

“Go back to the party Myungsoo.”

 

“I’ll just take you home if you really wanted to go home.”

 

“Okay.”

 

“I’ll just go fetch my car, wait here.” And he stops, until… “Sungyeol I said I’ll just go fetch my car, stay here.”

 

And he did. When he felt that Myungsoo is far away enough, he gives him a look.

 

For the second time… Myungsoo you broke my heart. The first time was when he went away. Though it couldn’t really be considered as his first heartbreak because they didn’t even started talking before the younger go away, but whatever. For him, that’s the first time he got his heart broken by Myungsoo. And now this…

 

For the second time he have loved him. Fall for him… and now he realized what happened all those years. How he never felt attractive to other men and women. How he never really bothers looking for someone that could probably make him happy. How he never really bothers forgetting about his smallest moments with Myungsoo.

 

Because whenever he tries, he’ll end up comparing them to his feelings for Myungsoo. He’ll end up comparing everything to the younger, and whenever that happens, Myungsoo would stand out of everything. Out of everyone. He had no flaws in his mind. He had never hurt him in his mind.

 

He loves him in his mind.

 

Reality hurts. Why must it end up like this again? When he finally thought that he’ll be able to start something with Myungsoo now. When he thought he’ll finally be with the younger now. When he thought he could finally be happy now.

 

Why must it end like this?

 

That night, as he hops inside the taxi, he said goodbye to him. Forgetting him might take him forever, but he finally get what fate wanted them to be. Fate hates them together. And maybe, the reason for them meeting again in this lifetime is only to make them experience a short time of being together. To make them feel how it could be when it’s the two of them,

 

But he can never let himself hurt forever. One way or another, he has to let go. Maybe this time, he’ll manage.

 

Maybe this time, he’ll finally manage to forget about him unlike those passed years. He’s thankful that they stopped before they could get hurt more from what’s supposed to be a beginning for them.

 

Because Sungyeol knows for himself, that no matter how much he have hurt him, unknowingly and knowingly, he still couldn’t get himself to hate him. The reason?

 

Because he loved him. Then and now.

 

Much more now.

 

--

 

A/N: CHONG JOJUN BALSAAAAA! Hi guys, how are you? Missed me? Oh wait, don’t kill me okay? HAHAHAHA Anyway, hi! Leave comments, subbies. Thanks!