004: From his own point of view

Love, Finally?

Hi. My name is Kim Myungsoo. I can be considered as one of the popular guys in our High School as soon as I made my debut as a high school student. They say I’m your typical heartthrob that you often see in anime, manga, and kdramas. They say I can easily be an idol or an actor myself…

 

But being that kind bores me. Yeah, it bores me. Some people will kill just to have the life I have. Rich and smart is what commonly used adjective to describe me.

 

But I, Kim Myungsoo, is the kind of guy who sticks to what interest him. To what made him curious. I’m not the type to care whether you like me or despise me, I’ll live even without everyone talking about me or how lucky they could be once they had me.

 

Yeah, I’m sly, vulgar, a straight-forward . I’m hard headed and those who know me knew how rude I can be.

 

Until someone came into my life.

 

How can I explain this? Well, he’s funny. Watching him makes me smile because he can be stupid, like most of the time. He’s in the same level as me when it comes to physical traits… but he’s my total opposite. He’s approachable. He’s the type that you can be friends with easily. He leaves too many openings and he often teased by his friends, though he’s fighting back. He’s sarcastic and moody. He likes everything in pink and he’s annoyingly tall.

 

His name?

 

LEE SUNGYEOL. He’s one year older than me and if what my friend Sungjong tells me is true then the reason of him looking away as soon as our eyes met, might be because he likes me.

 

I find that ridiculous. How could someone like him like me? We’re both men. Maybe Sungjong just find it amusing for me to watch that guy’s every move just to prove if what he says is the truth.

 

Ah! I just met his eyes and yes… he just look away.

 

Ever since Sungjong messed my mind with those thoughts, my day always be composed of me and him looking at each other with him the first one to look away, then I’ll realized I’ve been waiting for him to look my way and ended up disappointed when he didn’t.

 

“Still staring at him?”

 

I sigh and look away and start eating my food. “It took him 38 minutes to look my way today.”

 

“Oh, later than yesterday. What is it yesterday?”

 

“34 minutes.” I pushed away my tray with my foods untouched and took my mini notebook out.

 

My friends Sungjong and Kai watched me as I write down Sungyeol’s new record of knowing my presence. Yes, I’m keeping records of him noticing I’m there somewhere near him. Well, I find him interesting… like science projects.

 

We left our seats and I look back at Sungyeol’s table with his friends and as expected, Sungyeol looks my way as soon as I left my seat. I’d like to smile because for all the times that I’ve been watching him, I always find if fun to know his next move after my move.

 

I left the cafeteria with my friends. We need to go back to our classroom soon because we’re transferring rooms for our next class.

 

On our way there, Kai’s girlfriend Krystal Jung came with her things with her. She and Kai has been fighting since morning so Krystal didn’t join for lunch.

 

“It’s your lady, Kai.” I said teasingly that he blushed. Me and Sungjong left the two for them to talk. But one annoying teacher was waiting for my arrival in our classroom after lunch. Much as I want to roll my eyes on him, I can’t. He’s still a teacher.

 

And our adviser for our Photography Clun. I wonder what he’s doing in front of our classroom.

 

“Ah! Myungsoo! Good thing you’re here. Can you come here for a minute?”

 

I sighed and nods at Sungjong to tell him to go inside our room first with my things as I approach our teacher. “What is it Mr. Lee?”

 

“Can you open the clubroom and pick up some things for me? I’ll be in year 2 class 1’s classroom.”

 

Year 2 class 1? I smiled upon hearing that. Why you may ask? Because that’s their classroom.

 

“Sure sir… can I ask someone to help me?”

 

“Sure, Bring Krystal with you.”

 

“Okay.”

 

I took the key from his hand and run myself to the clubroom to pick up the things Teacher Lee asked me to pick up. Thankfully, Krystal was asked to follow me there by Teacher Lee himself.

 

“Where are we taking these things?”

 

“Year 2 class 1’s classroom.”

 

Krystal raised her eyebrows. “So that’s why you said yes. It’s where he is. Sungyeol-sunbaenim’s classroom.”

 

“Yup, so hurry up and help me carry these things.” I handed him those lighter ones and I take the heavier, and soon we’re out of the clubroom. “Lock the doors for me please.”

 

Krystal took the keys from me before we go on to their floor. “Myungsoo, aren’t you giving it too much thought?”

 

“What?”

 

“Sungyeol-sunbaenim… aren’t you giving him too much thought? It’s been what? One or two months since you started watching him.”

 

“Because it’s interesting.” I said and opened the door before me. And as expected, all their eyes are on me and of course I saw him first, he raised his head to look my way after that friend of him sees me. And as always, he’s flustered.

 

“Mr. Lee…”

 

“Oh, come in. Don’t be intimidated by second years.” He said smiling at us and I almost sneer. I’m not at all, intimidated. “Yah, you guys better keep those hands moving and answer your pop-up quiz!”

 

And they all go back to whatever they were doing. I walked towards Mr. Lee and Krystal followed me slowly.

 

“Thank you for bringing these things to me.”

 

“No problem, Mr. Lee. We’ll take our leave.”

 

“Myungsoo, aren’t you joining the welcoming party for new club members later? It’ll be fun.”

 

I shake my head as a sign of strong disapproval. “I don’t think it’s necessary.” I said before turning my back on him.

 

And I actually slowed down my pace when I’m passing by his seat. Look at him and smiled.

 

I remember that day to be the first time I slowed down my pace just to look at someone’s flustered face and smile… leaving the girls inside the classroom giggle in delight.

 

Because the Kim Myungsoo they know rarely smile.

 

--

 

“I’ve heard something that might be interesting for you.”

 

I didn’t bother looking behind me for I know it was Sungjong. “What is it?”

 

“Lee Sungyeol gives way to his bestfriend Nam Woohyun in the Presidential position for the upcoming election.”

 

I lowered down my camera and with my whole body, turned to him. “He gives way?”

 

He shrugs his shoulder and sits on the pavement. “That’s what I heard. Seems like he’s not planning to run for the President position.”

 

“He might not be planning to run for Presidency all along for all we know.” I said and went back to my subject. “Why are you here anyway? You know I hate being with someone when I’m doing work.”

 

“I just came here to tell you that. And you’re not doing work.”

 

Silence fills the air as I didn’t say anything back at Sungjong. But it only takes me 12 shots of my subject before he started talking again. “You like him for real, don’t you Myungsoo?”

 

“What the are you saying? Leave me alone—“

 

“You’ve been watching him for a long time now… I think he’s more than just someone that interest you.”

 

I can feel him smirking behind me but I continue focusing on my subject. “Leave me alone, Sungjong. Get off my back.”

 

“You know, he’s single. You can approach him anytime… or are you perhaps scared to stain your reputation as one of this school’s—“

 

“As if I care about something so trivial.” I pull away from my position and check out my shots. “Approaching him will be troublesome… and I hate trouble so…”

 

“So you settle for just taking his pictures from a far?”

 

I smiled at him and jumped off the barricade where I’m standing capturing my best subject.

 

“Someone that interests me stays in my camera… neither inside my head nor my heart.” I said before leaving Sungjong in the rooftop.

 

That day ends annoyingly because it was raining. Good thing Krystal told us to keep umbrella’s in our bags.

 

I was nearing the exit when I saw him leaning against the third year’s shoe locker. A coat over his shoulder which probably not his, and holding two umbrellas. Why two, I wonder why. I pretended to walk on his side despite having another door in front of me to exit the building.

 

I pretended to just realized he was there and bows. I was caught staring at the umbrella’s he was holding.

 

“Um… do you need an umbrella?”

 

I almost smiled because he thought wrong. But thinking of whoever it is he’ll be sharing it with, I looked at him with my usual cold glare and he flinches. “No, I was wondering if you’ll be sharing one with someone?”

 

That’s a probability. But my stupidity tells me otherwise that he’s just holding that another umbrella for a friend and maybe waiting for him.

 

“Oh… no. The other one is for my friend.”

 

See Myungsoo? Sometimes you’re stupid. “Friend?” I asked just to make sure.

 

“Yes. You probably know him. Nam Woohyun?”

 

Oh, the usual guy who’s always with him along with some other guy. I remember that other guy’s name also, I think it’s Lee Howon or Hoya as he was being called by his friends and Sungyeol himself.

 

I raised an eyebrow and look away from him since it’s embarrassing. I covered my eyes with my left arm.

 

“I’ll be going then.”

 

“Uh… yeah, sure. Take care.”

 

“You too.”

 

I walk away faster than normal… with my heart beating faster. That’s probably the first time we talked.

 

--

 

Our school were delighted to know that Nam Woohyun and Lee Sungyeol was accepted in Seoul University, while I’m delighted to know where he’ll be going for College.

 

A year after I see him off the High School gate, where I smiled at him for the last time I’ll be seeing him in that High School, I’m sure he looked back at me before Woohyun pats his shoulder and they carry on with their leave.

 

I watched his leaving back and when I’m sure he’s no longer looking back, I made my way inside our classroom and closed the door behind me.

 

I have to make sure to get in the Seoul University where he is.

 

Sungjong, Krystal and Kai watched me as I made my way to my seat. Earphones on and music in full volume. It’ll take me a year before I see him again. I’m sure it’ll be a boring one last year of high school.

 

But my heart is pumped up. I’m excited to see him again…

 

--

 

I passed the exams easily, as expected the next year. I was expecting to see him soon but no.

 

Unfortunately, I have to go even before I see him every day in that new environment. After I planned everything in my power that I’ll definitely tell him that he’s more than just an interest for me.

 

“Myungsoo, it’s time to go.”

 

“Be right there.”

 

I slowly made my way inside the plane that will take me somewhere far away from this place.

 

And I wonder when I’ll be able to see him again…

 

I sighed before I take one last look of that place. “This is not the last time I’ll be here…”

 

“Myungsoo, let’s go.”

 

“Yes, mother.”

 

--

 

“Yah, you really have the guts to sleep after you came in late?”

 

I rubbed my eyes that became wide as soon as I saw Sunggyu’s face. “Gyu… what the hell are you doing here?”

 

He pulls away from leaning over my table and put his hands inside his pockets. “Looks like you’re dreaming of something amazing.”

 

“What made you say that?” I yawn. “Was I talking in my sleep?”

 

“No, but you’re smiling.”

 

“Oh…” was the only thing I said before sitting back on my seat again. “Why are you here anyway?”

 

“Nothing, just checking up on you. You okay here?”

 

“Yeah. I’m well adjusted, thanks.”

 

“I still wanted to apologize Myungsoo… you shouldn’t be here.”

 

“Where should I be then?” I asked yawning again.

 

“I don’t know… outside? Taking photos that interest you? Doing something you really wanted to do… I know this path was forced to you—“

 

“Like how it was forced to you?” Sunggyu went speechless and I smirk before taking my chart beside me. “We both hate being here but here we are… all because we wanted to please the family we’re into. Even if we’re being blunt to them that we don’t want this, this will be our forever path to take. We both can’t get away from it.”

 

“You can… but you chose not to. The olds are not that strict on you—“

 

“But they started to be strict on me when I told them I wanted to pursue photography.” I sigh. “Because for them, our dreams are just trash if we weren’t pursuing their dreams for us.”

 

“Myungsoo—“

 

“Sunggyu, let’s not talk about this okay? We just have to continue living our lives the way they wanted it to be lived by us.”

 

I said leaving him inside my office as the head nurse that I am. Being a Kim sure is lucky, but no. Hardly lucky. We are tamed and trapped by our ancestor’s rules. You follow the path they laid before you and you’ll be just fine by their eyes, but run wild and you’ll be forced to be out of the family registry.

 

And I don’t want that. Because being out of the family registry means I won’t get to see my younger brother Moonsoo, nor my mom, nor my dad, nor my Grandmother anymore. Even if I want to… even if they want to.

 

This is the fate of being someone under this name. We’re unreachable, but we can never have our freedom of choosing what we wanted. Though I have to give it to them, they don’t care about our love life.

 

As long as you’re someone special came from a decent family, then it’s good for them. That explains why Sunggyu is having the time of his life right now. Woohyun is accepted by our family effortlessly because Nam’s are equally rich.

 

I finished my shift that night and was about to go home when I saw someone familiar inside the restaurant near our hospital.

 

What is he doing here?

 

I went out of my car and get inside of that restaurant. Sungyeol is in the corner of that restaurant with Hoya and I wonder who the other guy is.

 

And as usual, his smiling face is the only thing that warms up my heart as if it’s ready to explode. I clutched my chest tightly when it started beating erratically.

 

But out of nowhere, Woohyun taps my shoulder and I slowly and nervously looked at his side. . “Hey, Myungsoo. What are you doing here?”

 

“Uh… I, ah…”

 

“What? You came here to eat? Want to share a table with us?”

 

“Are you meeting your friends here?”

 

“Yes. Sungyeol wanted to go shopping for his outfit for the reunion.”

 

Oh. “I see…”

 

“So, are you coming to our table or not?”

 

“No. I think I’ll take my leave. I have to go and… brush my teeth.”

 

“Brush your tee—“

 

“Yeah, so bye.”

 

I flee and once inside my car I looked at my face.

 

God, I’m blushing. WHY AM I BLUSHING?!

 

I opened the compartment of my car and found the mini notebook where I used to write the time of him looking my way…

 

Too bad he didn’t look my way today.

 

I put it back inside the compartment and started my car’s engine.

 

I can’t believe I used Sungyeol’s lame excuse just to run away from there. You’re so stupidly laaaaame Kim Myungsoo.

 

If I had the time, I’ll bang my head over the steering wheel, but I remember I have a reunion to attend to.

 

--

 

A/N: Guess who’s back after nailing her midterm exams? YES, it’s me. Your author. ^_^ Are you guys still there?