Down the Rabbit Hole

The 14th Poem
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Doyoung is a high school student from a middle-class family. His father runs a small ramen shop built adjacent to their house. The family's income generally comes from this shop which his father had inherited long ago after his grandfather died. His mother usually stays at home to do minor household chores because she has weak heart and lungs, however, sometimes she helps in the ramen shop as well. Doyoung's brother, Dong Hyeong (usually called with his nickname Gong Myung given by their aunt), is a school dropout. He is trying to pursue his passion for photography with his self-bought mirrorless camera which he gained after years of doing part-time jobs. Currently, he is working as a convenience store crew while improving his photography portfolio, hoping that he can make it big in the fashion photography industry in the future.

Doyoung has a good relationship with his family despite having some troubles after coming out to them last year ago. Doyoung is a biual. He was forced to admit this to his family after his mother saw some pictures of cute guys in his laptop when she was cleaning his room. At first, his parents were very reluctant in accepting this fact, saying things like "it's just a phase" and "you're still young, you just might be confused right now". Doyoung just nodded to these words but he knows deep inside that he won't change anymore. He sometimes wished that he could just be pure homoual because being a biual is more difficult to explain to other people. 

Since income from the ramen shop cannot fully support everything in their house, as well as Doyoung's school fees and allowance, he decided to look for a part-time job. Luckily for him, there is a new cafe near his school and he was immediately accepted as part of the service crew. The cafe is called NCT Blends. He met other part-timers in the coffee shop who are also students from his school and other academies.

Doyoung enjoys working at NCT Blends despite consuming a substantial amount of his time because the place is just so relaxing and his workmates, as well as the customers, are nice. The seemingly normal and somewhat boring and cyclical life of Kim Dong Young soon changed after meeting Jung Jaehyun, one hell of a charming customer, at NCT Blends.

 

 

Kims' Residence

 

"DongYoung-ah! DongHyeong-ah! Dinner's ready! Let's eat." Doyoung's mother called from the dining room.

"Coming!" Doyoung shouted from his room. He put his flute in its pouch container and put it inside the drawer beside his bed. He's been playing flute since he was a child and it seems like the only instrument he wants to learn playing despite being a music enthusiast. It's his day-off today so he will be joining his mom and brother for dinner. 

He went to the dining table where Gong Myung and his mom are waiting with Soy Garlic Chicken, Kimbap, and lots of side dishes in front of them. He took the seat beside Gong Myung and yelled "thank you for the food!" cheerfully. The two did not mind him though and just continued eating.

"Ya Doyoung-ah!" Gongmyung said while picking up a slice of kimbap.

Doyoung looked at his brother with a puzzled face. "Why hyung?"

"Do you know someone who could model for me? I need a model for a photoshoot. Someone who is tall and handsome, and with a good v-line..." he emphasized v-line by outlining his jaw with the tip of his fingers. "...you know, girls dig boys like that nowadays."

"I'm sorry but you know I'm kind of busy nowadays so I don't think I can fit that into my schedule." Doyoung said teasingly. He saw his mom shook her head and smiled.

"I said someone you know not you fool. You don't even have a v-line." 

Doyoung grabbed his left chest and acted like someone who has been shot in the heart. "You're so cruel! How could you possibly say that to your brother?" He laughed afterwards.

"Seriously though, do you know anyone? like a classmate or whatever?" Gongmyung voice shifted into a more serious one.

"I have a co-worker who fits your description but I'm not sure if he would agree to that."

His mother's eyes gleamed and she smiled teasingly at Doyoung. "Is that your co-worker I saw last week, huh?" 

"Y-yes eomma, Taehyung hyung." he knows how his mother ships him with his handsome co-worker.

Doyoung's mom shifted her gaze at Gongmyung. "He really is handsome. I'm sure you will produce great pictures with him." She has always been supportive of Gongmyung's venture into photography unlike their father who still has some grudge over his hyung due to the older one's choice of not entering college anymore.

"Really eomma!? Doyoung, please tell him immediately about it okay? Also, send me his profile's link so I can check hehe. Thanks in advance." 

"In fact, I think Doyoung here has a thing for that hyung of his." his mom gave him a suspicious look, the one your best friend gives you when your crush suddenly walks by in front of you. Fortunate Doyoung he has a mother who is very supportive of anything even in his chosen ual orientation. Though sometimes, she just overdoes it.

Gongmyung turned to his brother with a curious look which later on turned into a cheesy smile. He nudged his brother with his left elbow. 

"Our Doyoung is growing up real fast. Good for you your boyfriend is model material hahaha." Gongmyung teased.

Doyoung blushed. "He's not my boyfriend. Eomma stop shipping me with hyung. We're just friends. I don't even think he has a thing for guys." In fact, Doyoung has a slight crush on Taehyung before, but after becoming close friends with him through their work at  NCT Blends, he started to feel more like a brother to him. Taehyung is actually a college student already, major in sociology. He works at the cafe to support himself in his studies as well as save money for his future. Doyoung usually describes him as four dimensional and "alien" as he has a very unique sense of humor and he often speaks gibberish randomly. 

The rest of the dinner was spent on teasing Doyoung with his co-worker. Doyoung felt happy though, as he realizes how much their family are close to one another. His dad soon came from the shop and join

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter