Something Really Brave

If I Die Young
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Ryeowook

"It's okay to be scared. Being scared means you're about to do something really, really brave."

“Yah!”

Kangin shouted, storming into my room. The hyung glanced down worriedly at me but before I manage to say a word, I found myself pressing my face against the pillow. I started to cough, hacking and gasping for breath. I waved to Kangin, gesturing to him that I was alright but the more I moved, the more I gasped for breath. Once the coughing slowly faded, I breathed in a shaky breath.

“Go and get it checked already, Ryeowook. You’ve been coughing for too long now.” Kangin worriedly pointed out. “I keeping waking up from my nap because of you!”

“I’m fine.” I assured Kangin. “I’m sorry. I’ll keep the door closed next time.”

I pressed my face against the pillow again when I felt another coughing fit coming.

“I’ll go soon, hyung.” I finally said after another horrible coughing fit and Kangin looking at me like he had just proved a point.

“Good.” Kangin nodded. “Do you want anyone to go with you?”

“Aniyo, it’s,” Cough, cough. “Fine. You must be busy now that you just got back.”

I smiled innocently to my hyung. Kangin shook his head, grumbling something about me disrupting his nap and then walked out of my room. I whispered a guilty apology quietly but of course, Kangin had already left the room. Over the past few weeks, I have been constantly sick. I was always weak and tired all the time and taking supplements and medication did nothing to help with my condition. Maybe it was really time I got it checked.

“I should probably get it checked now before our comeback.” I voiced out my own opinion, thinking about it.

Recently, Heechul and Kangin had just returned from the military and the group had been thinking of having a comeback. The members were all busy at the moment with their individual schedules – Leeteuk and Yesung were currently undergoing their enlistment, Donghae and Eunhyuk with D&E promotions in Japan, Kyuhyun with getting his solo album ready, Siwon with a drama, Shindong was getting ready to enlist and Sungmin with a musical. But despite everyone’s busy schedule, the members had really expressed their interest in releasing a new album. The company was a little reluctant at first since Leeteuk would not be present for this album and they were unsure of how our group would fare without a leader. But we assured them that we would be okay, that we would behave well on our own, that we would keep a positive attitude and that we would keep Heechul out of trouble and they thankfully agreed to it.

For Kangin, Super Junior being granted permission to release an album meant a lot. He had been gone for too long and he missed being on stage. The members missed having him on stage too and we had long forgiven him for his past mistakes. Thus, this comeback had to be special. We wanted it to be special for him and for our fans who were all anticipating Kangin’s return. I wanted it to be special too wanting this to be a memorable gift for Kangin and the fans.

Deciding that this comeback have to be perfect, I picked my phone up and dialled the hospital, setting up an appointment date and time for a check-up. I wanted to be healthy for the comeback. It wasn’t just for me.

It was for Kangin, for the members and for the fans too.

***

 “Oh, Kyuhyun? You’re home early?”

I bumped into Kyuhyun at the lift lobby of our apartment building. The elevator doors opened and we stepped in. Kyuhy

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter