Chapter 5

Magic in the Stars

 

Two Weeks

My cell phone was ringing that special tone, which meant only one thing. Aaron was calling.

“Yes, Mr. Aaron. How may I help you this time?”

“Aww. You don’t want me?”

“Aaron, have you realized that you’ve just called 5 minutes ago? And not to mention this is the 4th time you’ve called since you left, which was only an hour ago?”

“I’m just …. Worried about you.” He defended. “The two of you can get quite immature at times.”

I signed. Hebe ‘moved back in’ with me after staying at her new boyfriends’ place. According to her story, she felt she had neglected her best pal too long and decided to come back and take care of me since we had less than a week left of summer. In another word, she and Mike, her latest boyfriend, had a fight, and they needed some time to calm down.

“Aaron, I’m fine. There’s nothing to worry about.”

“I know.”

I snuggled deeper into my bed and switched off my lamp. “Gui Gui?”

I nodded as if he could see me. Silly me. “I love you … No matter what.”

I smiled. Silly him. Had I ever doubted his love?

“Aaron I love you too.”

I could feel his face plastered with a bright smile. Okay, maybe it was just my imagination, but let’s not go to my imaginary world with Aaron.

“Well,” he signed, telling me that he didn’t want to let go of the phone. “I won’t bother you anymore. Don’t wanna see two panda eyes tomorrow.”

I stuck my tongue out at him, or rather at the phone, and bid him good night. “I’ll see you tomorrow.”

But, that tomorrow never came.

*

The crisp, chilly air blew against my face as I sat on my suitcase, waiting patiently for Hebe and Mike to come pick me up. Looking up at the apartment, memories flooded into my brain. It had been two weeks since I first met him.

I jerked up when someone waved her hand in front of me.

“Gui Gui!”

I swore Hebe’s smile turned brighter everyday since she met Mike. I hadn’t seen her so happy with a guy before.

“Hebe, how many times do I need to tell you not to scream in the morning?”

“Can’t help if I’m always energetic in the morning.” She shrugged as I laughed at her silly comment. “Mike, help Gui Gui load her luggage!” she yelled as she dragged me into the car.

We are going to drive back to our dorms at UCLA; I didn’t want to join the two lovers since I would be their light bulb for the entire trip, but Hebe insisted and I couldn’t get out of it. It was a difficult task to turn down those puppy eyes.

“Why the dull face?” Someday, curiosity will kill her.

“I’m just tired.”

“From thinking about him.” She rolled her eyes.

I signed. I still can’t believe that he left without telling me whatsoever. What was I to him? A toy? Or a girlfriend?

I thought I knew everything about him, but apparently NOT. The only things that I knew about him were the hotel he was staying at and his first name.

And I thought I was his girlfriend.

A girlfriend who didn’t know which room he was in.

A girlfriend who didn’t know his permanent living location.

A girlfriend who didn’t even know his last name!

And I had claimed to be his girlfriend. How pathetic.

Hebe patted me and went to the front seat when Mike returned to the driver’s seat. I guessed Hebe was right. If I were by myself, I would be spending all my time thinking about him. At least I got two friends to take my mind off of him for now.

“Gui Gui, have you ever try calling him?” Mike asked.

Good question. Had I?

The answer was YES! In fact, I think I’ve called him about 53 times, but it was always his voice mail. I gave up leaving messages to him after my 21st message.

“It’s been 5 days, Gui Gui. Maybe you should let go?” Hebe suggested. She had been comforting me since the day I had discovered Aaron was gone. He seemed to have just evaporated into the thin air.

Hebe was right. I should let go.

I must forget about him.

But the question is...Can I?

---

I hate to admit it but this is the end. But there will be a epilogue coming up though...

Kimi