Chapter 3

Magic in the Stars

 

There's Magic in the Stars

“Gui Gui, please! You’re just working for the firework! Pretty please?! I promise I will make it up to you later,” she begged on the other line of the phone.

No matter how much I wanted to protest, I agreed. First I had no plan for the night. Second, the firework would definitely take my mind off of him for a while.

.
.
.

The lights began to fade as the Sleeping Beauty Castle started to grow brighter. A female voice announces that the firework would be starting in just a couple of minutes.

Several kids stood on the edge of the temporarily pedestrian road, which standing was prohibited until the firework ended. I looked at Calvin, my partner for the night, and he nodded before walking up to those kids and told them to find a better place to enjoy the firework.

I leaned on the street lamp for I was tired from last night. I could feel the heat raising and blood rushing to my two cheeks as I recalled the ‘sweet night’ I had spent with him even though he was drunk.

A large group of people began to walk through the pedestrian road when the only source of light was from the brightly lit castle and the multicolor flashlight swords in Calvin and my hand. I moved the flashlights back and forth so they could tell where the road led them.

Someone brushed against my shoulder and tripped over my foot. As I tried to balance myself, I dropped my flashlight on the floor. By the time I regained my balance, the person had already stood up, stretched out his hand, ready to hand me back my flashlight.

The pink castle light was dimming and changed into a faded purple. While my eyes were adjusting to the darker environment, I could only see a silhouette of a man. “I’m sorry, sir,” I apologized.

“No. It was my fault anyway.”

That voice. It sounded so familiar. He handed back my flashlight and his fingers accidentally brushed against mine sending electrifying shocks to my body.

It couldn’t be him, right? “Gui Gui?” he called. Great. Just when I thought I forgot about him, he just had to pop up and ruin my night of peacefulness. By now the flashlights in Calvin’s and my hand were the only source of light as darkness fell across the park, preparing for the firework.

“Is the guy giving you a hard time?” Calvin asked in a soft whisper so that Aaron couldn’t hear him. I shook my head and realized that Aaron was standing on the edge of the restricted pedestrian road and Calvin was standing by my side while I was gawking at Aaron this whole time. Great! I just made a fool out of myself in front of these guys.

Thank goodness Calvin walked back to his post, which was about five feet away from me after I assured him that Aaron wasn’t giving me a hard time.

“Um, Aaron? You know you’re standing in the middle of the road right?”

Aaron just shrugged. “So?”

What did he mean by ‘so’? If a manager just happened to pass by, I am so doomed! “Please don’t make my job difficult,” I pleaded.

“Is it a crime to pick a nice spot to watch the firework?”

“No, but…”

“Good, then I’m standing right here!” He walked away and stood right in the middle of the road. Great job, Gui Gui. You just made it even worse.

I signed. I now regretted telling Calvin that Aaron wasn’t giving me any trouble. Without thinking twice, I reached out and pulled him to my side. “If I get into trouble,” I told him through my clenched teeth. “I will KILL YOU!”

“Feisty, just like at the bar,” he smiled at me, but I chose to ignore him.

I didn’t dare to look at him afterwards for his next sentence sent blood rushing to my cheeks. “But I like your caring and gentle side better...not to mention your beautiful body as well.”

I was so glad that it was dark and he wouldn’t be able to notice the different shades of red on my face now.

I was so engrossed in my thoughts that I didn’t realize the firework had started until the music seemed to have gotten louder.

“…Makin’ memories, sharin’ dreams,
Watchin’ time go by.
Each enchanted day,
Your heart will sail away
To castles in sky.”

Those words were then followed by a long period of plain melody of some of the Disney’s most classical songs.

Pink, blue, green fireworks were shot up to the clear starry night sky while the “A Whole New World” melody was being played in the air.

Unknowingly, I started humming along, and it was then I felt someone wrapped an arm around my waist. While I was debating whether or not to tear my eyes away from the magnificent firework in the sky, he leaned his chin onto my shoulder and said, “I’m sorry about last night.”

Silence fell between us, but I began to start humming along with another song being played in the air after I recovered from the shock. So, he wasn’t drunk?

“I know I was drunk last night, but it seems to me that it was your first -”

“Look!” I pointed at the pink and purple firework. Instead of spreading out in a neat circle like the traditional firework, this group of pink and purple wiggles out in different, inconsistent directions on their own like earth worms.

“Don’t they look like fairies?” I asked as I tugged Aaron’s sleeve, temporarily forgetting what he said earlier.

“I thought so, too.”

After flashing him one of my infamous grin at him, I returned my attention back to the firework. Awes and Wows spread across the crowd as several bright yellow fireworks were shot from the castle ground, looking like rockets blasting off. When these ‘rockets’ reached their peak, they exploded and spread into giant yellow circles, overlapping each other.

“And maybe, if you believe, your wish can come true,” the boy, part of the firework musical, said.

There were even more awes and wows and even applause when Tinkerbell made her way across the Sleeping Beauty Castle in the air. Kids were pointing and jumping up and down, screaming, “Look Mummy, it’s Tinkerbell!”

Well, guess what I was doing? Yes, I joined into the fun with the kids, pointing and screaming “It’s Tink!”, but I did manage to restrain myself from jumping into the air.

His arm tightened around my waist, and it was then did I remember Aaron was still by my side. “Shush. People are staring. Don’t get yourself in trouble.”

I looked around. Indeed, several parents were staring at me as if I was retarded or something. Calvin, too, was staring at me with a funny face. Once again, I was glad that it was pitch dark out here. My face turned as red as a ripe tomato again.

I managed to live through the last few minutes of the firework without embarrassing myself anymore.

Calvin and I removed the ‘off limit’ post when there was only a couple more minutes before the firework ended. Once again, we waved our flashlight back and forth and answered question the people had.

“Hey, I think we’re done for the night.” I nodded in agreement. People were walking around and there was no sign of the firework anymore. “Then you can go. Your boyfriend is waiting.” He winked at me and disappeared into the crowd before I could clarify that I was still single.

When I turned around, there he was, leaning onto the street lamp that I was previously leaning on, with his head up, looking at the sky as if the firework was still going on.

“Hey,” I tapped his shoulder, which caused him to jerk up.

“Oh, hey,” he flashed me his lope-sided smile. “Um…are you done for the night?”

I nodded my head.

“Um, you need a ride?”

“I drove today,” I answered. With that, I headed toward the staff rooms. Stealing a quick glance at him, I noticed his mouth had formed into an ‘o’ shape. Was it because he was disappointed at my answer or what? Well, this would teach him that I, Gui Gui Wu, was harder to get than he thought.

.

When I arrived at the apartment, I noticed a man was standing in front of the entrance. With his back towards me, I couldn’t tell if he was a resident or a murderer, not that I could tell the difference either way. I walked as fast as my legs could carry me just in case he decided to attack me.

“Ahhh!” No! I wasn’t fast enough. He caught me! I’m so dead now.

“Shush! Gui Gui! It’s just me, Aaron.” I turned around, and there he was standing in front of me. Guess I’m still going to live then.

“Geez, Aaron! You shouldn’t go around at night and scare people like this!” Pushing his hand away, which was grasping my shoulder, I began to walk to my apartment.

“I wasn’t trying to scare you.” He was walking behind me. “Why? You thought I was some kind of convict?” I wanted to tell him that I did think he was but that would just make me embarrass myself in front of him again.

“Why are you here? Waiting for your new girlfriend?” I didn’t know what got into me, but that last question just blurted out all by itself when I decided to change the subject.

He murmured something that I couldn’t catch. Then he looked up, he face as red as a tomato. I smiled, trying to make his face turned into a lesser shade of red, but it just turned into a deeper shad. “I think I left something here last night.”

Involuntarily, my mouth dropped.

I shrugged and invited him to my flat. I told him to look for whatever he forgot on his own as I went into the kitchen to get a glass of water after pressing the play button on my answering machine.

“You have one new message. Today at 8:40 pm. *BEEP* Hey Gui Gui! It’s me, Hebe! Eh…you’re probably working right now. Thank you sooooooo much for sub-ing for me. Um…just to let you know, I’mnotcominghometonight. Yeah. So don’t do naughty things without my supervision. Bye! *BEEP* End of message.”

I chuckled and shook my head as I went out of the kitchen and sat on a high wooden stool besides the dinning table. “You always do ‘naughty things’?”

“Heck, no,” I said. Wait, why did he sound so nearby?!

I turned around and saw that he was leaning onto the wall just outside the kitchen, which was behind me. I turned my body so that I was facing him now. I stared at him as he made his way toward me. Within seconds, his arms were wrapped securely around my waist again. “What does she mean by ‘naughty things’?” He was leaning in closer by the second.

“I thought I just said I don’t –”

“Is it something like this?” His lips came crashing against mine as soon as he finished his question. I tried to break free from him, but one of his hands had already made its way to the back of my head, which pushed me closer to him as I struggled.

His lips were so soft, and his kisses were gentle although it didn’t seem like it with me struggling. Finally I couldn’t take it any longer and I responded to his kisses. Great! Now, Gui Gui Wu, you just gave him the impression that you’re easy to get.

Oh well. My hands made their way around his neck. Now that I had surrendered, might as well enjoy it.

The kisses turned from gentle ones to passionate and demanding ones as our breathing became faster and shorter. I parted my mouth, allowing his tongue to enter and explore it. His hands went under my shirt and began tracing every curve on my back as I ran my hand through his head.

I pulled back, slightly away. If I didn’t, I think I would be the first to die from lack of oxygen due to intimate kissing. He leaned in, ready to start again, when I covered his mouth with my hand.

“I thought you’re here to get your thing.” This just popped up in my head. Plus, if I was to continue, I would need to fill my lungs with enough air. “What did you left here last night?”

He pointed to my hand over his mouth, and I quickly removed my hand.

He leaned his forehead on mine, looking into my eyes. “My heart. I left my heart and soul to a girl I just met.”

“And who would that be?” I asked, putting my finger on my chin.

He gave me a small peck on my lips. “Will you be my girl?”

Before I could answer him, he had already sealed the gap between us. This time, I responded to his kiss immediately, but he soon pulled back. “So, is that a yes?”

“I never said anything.” I turned around, breaking away from his embrace, but he soon wrapped his arms from behind me. “I’ve only been with you tonight, last time at the park, and ...”

He kissed my ear gently. “And last night.” He finished. “We can spend a day together so I can show you that I’m worth being your boyfriend.” I didn’t say anything. “How about tomorrow?”

I tilted my head and he brushed his nose gently against mine. “I’ll think about it,” I smiled at him. He gave me a small peck and asked, “Can I stay for the night? It’ll save some gasoline.”

“No.”

---

Gui Gui's not that easy to get eh? And yes they did do it xD

Thanks for reading! =]

Kimi