Chapter 4

Magic in the Stars

 

A Date with Him to Disney

I could hear banging and slamming from outside, which could only mean one thing. Hebe had returned home safely.

“Hebe Tian, mind if you quiet down a bit? Someone’s trying to sleep here!” I yelled.

Despite my disapproval, the noise continued. I signed and pulled my pillow over my head to get rid of the noise. So far, it worked! The noise had stopped, and, finally, I could sleep again! Creak! Oh dear, Hebe must have decided to pay me a visit. Sometimes I just can’t stop myself from being jealous at Sleeping Beauty; at least she got a 100 year of peaceful sleep AND remained as beautiful and youthful as ever.

I shifted in my bed, so that my back was to the door now. “5 more minutes and I promise I will give you my whole day.” The edge of my bed slopped down a little. “Please?! Just 5 more minutes and I’ll love you forever.”

“Really?!” a deep husky voice asked.

Immediately, I sat up. That wasn’t Hebe.

I could not believe it! Who let him in?! Arg! That best buddy of mine…

“Why are you in my room?!” I crossed my arms, demanding an answer from him. First of all, he wasn’t supposed to see my messy hair. Second, he was not supposed to see my horrible dry lips. Third of all, he just had to see my Stitch PJ! Now he would think I was such a big kid.

“Aww!” he pouted, which made it harder for me to stuff down my smile. “It’s not like it’s my first time in your room.”

I clasped my hand over his mouth immediately. “I don’t want Hebe to know about this.” I hissed. He nodded, eyes widened due to shock, and I released my hand. The consequences of letting my best buddy knowing about this would be horrible. I would never have a day of peace if she ever found it out.

“Don’t want me to know what?” Hebe threw herself onto my bed and began brushing her hair and asking me if she should just let her hair down or pulled them up to a pony tail for the day.

I glared at Aaron, warning him not to spill anything about that night, before telling Hebe that she should let her hair down for the day.

“So what was it that you don’t want me to know?” Shoot. Hebe never forgets anything, does she?

“Noth –”

“That she’s going on a date with me,” Aaron smiled and I wished I could give him a nice big whack on his head.

“No I’m not,” I protested, but Hebe wasn’t paying any attention to me.

“So, where are you taking my precious Gui Gui to?” she began her questioning like a mother meeting her daughter’s first boyfriend for the very first time.

“Where do you suggest?” Aaron knitted his eyebrows. “I haven’t really made a plan yet.”

“No! Look, Hebe, I’m not going –”

Hebe just waved her hand at me, shushing me up as if I was an annoying child begging for some candy. “Guys never plan ahead, do they?” She shook her head disapprovingly. “Well, how about Disney? Gui Gui LOVES that place. She goes there whenever she is alone for the day!”

Great move, Hebe. You just made me look dumber than ever.

Aaron gave me the biggest and weirdest smile ever, probably holding down his laughter after hearing where I spent my time alone.

“Done talking?” I asked, and Hebe nodded her head. “Good! Then I’m sleeping.”

I pulled my blanket up over my head, but sadly Hebe wouldn’t let me off the hook. “Get up! You got a date with him! Get up and go change!”

“Hebe! I’ve never agree to anything! Now, leave me alone before I give you a nice big whack on the head.”

Hebe turned around and looked at Aaron when she was at the door. “See what you’ll be dealing with in the future? Wish you the bestest luck!”

“Hebe Tian!” I aimed my pillow at her, but she had already left.

“If you want to, you can keep sleeping. I’ll just…”

“You think I can still go back and sleep after you and Hebe interrupted my peace?” I climbed out of my bed and made my way to the bathroom. “I’ll just go freshen up a bit.” I slammed the door shut, indicating that I was still mad at him for interrupting my sleep.

But, deep inside me, I was dancing in joy. I thought he was just kidding last night. Guess not! I smiled and saw a horrible reflection of me on the mirror. Oh no. Don’t tell me this was how I look back in the room?! Must freshen up a whole lot now.

*

Guess where he took me for Breakfast? Goofy’s kitchen! There were Mickey shaped waffles and pancakes, wacky-looking desserts, and, best of all, characters!

I was enjoying my scramble eggs when Aaron decided to pull me out to the center of the “kitchen”. Music was blasting into the air, and the 6-foot tall Goofy and the kids were beginning to dance. I was about to drag Aaron back to our seats when I saw he, too, was dancing along the beats – shaking his body and waving his arms, trying hard to imitate Goofy’s silly dance.

I couldn’t hold down my laughter as I stood there and watched him dance. I never knew this side of Aaron, but who could blame me?! I only knew him for about 3 days!

As the music began to fade, the kids, Goofy, and Aaron stopped their wild dance. His cheeks were red from all the early ‘exercise’.

“Woah. Why is it so warm here?” he began fanning himself with his hands as I took a sip of my orange juice.”

“If you didn’t dance so HARD,” I emphasized on the word ‘hard’ and tried my best not to burst out in laughters.

“Laugh all you want. I don’t care. I was just warming up for the day.” I shrugged. Who needed a warm up for spending a day at Disneyland?

*

We decided that we should start out day at Disneyland, and then we would move to Disney’s California Adventure after lunch.

We made a tour around the park in Disney’s Express before officially starting our day in the park. We went through tunnels, where Dinosaurs were hidden, and ‘forests’. 15 minutes later, we arrived back at Main Street, U.S.A.

“Look at that,” I pointed at the swan, which was swimming in the war that was surrounding the Sleeping Beauty’s Castle. “I’ve never seen such a beautiful one before!”

This swan looked a lot different than the others. Besides the fact that it was bigger, its feather was so clean that it hurt my eyes to stare at its whiteness under the sun.

“It’s just a swan. Com’on. Let’s go to the wishing well over there.” With that, Aaron pulled me to the side of the castle.

“Hey, I was just about to take a picture of that pretty swan,” I pouted, but he didn’t seem to care as he continued to drag me over across the little bridge and to the well.

I fished out a penny from the back pocket of my capris, dropped it into the well, closed my eyes, clasped my hands together as if I was making a prayer to God, and made a wish.

I guessed Aaron was making a wish, too, since I could only hear Snow White singing “Someday My Prince will Come”.

“Aww. Only a penny?” I opened my eyes when I heard his voice. “You can’t be stingy when you’re making a wish.”

My eyes were on the verge of popping out of my skull and sank down to the bottom of the well when I saw a green dollar bill floating on the surface. Geez. Someone sure was desperate for his wish to come true.

“If the well is to grant me my wish, it won’t care how much I drop in it.” I crossed my arms. Just because he was rich and all did not mean he could call me stingy! “If the well isn’t planning to grant a jerk his wish, it does not matter even if you drop a 20-dollar bill in it.”

I began to walk back to the front of the castle, making my way to Fantasyland. “Hey, wait up!” He called behind me. I stopped since he did pay for my ticket. “What does Mr. Rich Guy wants now?”

“Gosh. Don’t need to get all work up just because I bribe the well!” I chuckled at his lame reply and he began pushing me to the castle. “Visited Sleeping Beauty before?”

I nodded and told him that the visit just ruined my ideal castle image. He nodded in agreement. It’s better if we don’t see our imagination turns into something solid.

“Well, but it’s another story if we made a brief journey through a storybook,” he smiled at me as he pushed me towards Peter Pan’s Flight.

I shrugged even though I wanted to nod so bad. I had to show him he couldn’t be right all the time. The cool air of the air conditioner hit us as soon as we boarded onto Captain Hook’s two-passenger ship. “Aww. We got a black one.” I pouted as I looked at the big plastic flag. “I was hoping we could get a blue one instead.”

“Don’t be sad or you’re going to scare Peter Pan and Tinkerbell away.” He pointed to the life-size scene of Wendy and her brothers meeting Peter Pan.

I giggled at his cute little comment. “They’re not going to go away unless Disney decides to re-do this whole park.”

He pouted and whined. “You just ruined the magic.” I smiled and turned my head to the other side as the ship glided to another scene. The rest of the trip remained silent as we enjoyed the ride through the storybook.

The blazing sunlight blinded me momentarily since I was inside a dark room for the past few minutes. That as the only flaw to the storybook rides. If only Walt Disney had also thought of a better way to deal with this problem…

“Let’s go to Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride.” I pointed to the next medieval looking building and dragged Aaron along before he could utter a word of protest.

I was admiring one of the displays when he decided to break the long silence. “You’re not mad are you?”

I stared at his dark brown eyes. “And why would I?”

“Cuz I said you ruined the magic.” He hung his head low and I could hardly hear what he was saying. “All girls get mad when I said that.”

“Course not. Only silly girls would.” He looked up with a smile spreading across his face. “You’re the sweetest guy I’ve ever met.” I pinched his nose.

Okay. That did not happen right?! It was only my imagination. His face gradually reddened, and I knew it did happen. Great!

A long moment of silence fell between the two of us. I pretended I was interested at looking at the displays, but my mind was too occupied by Aaron. What would he think of me now? Would we still be friends? Would this awkward silence remained? Would a gap formed between us?

I was relieved to hear a familiar voice breaking the silence. “Hey Gui Gui!” I spun around to face the one and only Ella standing at the control stand. “Oh my god!” she gasped. “You FINALLY learn how to let go!”

I rolled my eyes at her ridiculous comment. Thank goodness Aaron didn’t seem to have heard Ella’s comment. “Aww. It’s a blue car,” Aaron frowned. He looked so cute when he frowned. Actually he looked cute whenever he frowned, smiled, laughed, pouted, and basically every other facial expression he does in front of me.

“Blue is a C-O-O-L color!” I argued.

“Hey, the dude over there besides Gui Gui. I suggest you to go along with her if you want to live a longer life. She can get pretty violent.” I glared at Ella. Who was she to say all those stuff?! Okay, she is a good friend of mine but teasing me like that is totally out of the question in this situation.

The blue car stopped in front of us and I pushed Aaron onto it before either one of them could utter another unpleasant comment about me. Aaron had this absurd smile on his face as I glared at Ella when our car stopped by and she checked out safety bar. “Have fun! And be careful with her!” Ella commented as the car entered the storybook room. I turned around just in time to stick my tongue out at her. She was so going to get it when I see her next time.

*

“That was so cool!” I said as we walked out of the Fantasyland theater after watching “Snow White – An Enchanting New Musical”.

“I love the scene where the dwarfs were washing themselves and bubbles were flying everywhere!” I stole a glance at him and saw that he was staring into the space in front of us.

“Hey, what’s your favorite part?” I tried to get his attention, but nothing happened.

I stopped and stood bolted to the ground, but he didn’t even notice that I wasn’t by his side. Afraid that the crowd would separate us soon, I ran up to him and gave him a little push from behind.

“What the –” he turned and saw that it was only me. “What did you do that for?” He put each of his hands on his waist.

I did the same as well. It was just a little push, and he deserved it. “I was talking and I asked which scene you like, but NOOO,” I turned away from him and, throwing my hands up, walked away. A shadow elapsed mine, and I knew Aaron was following me. I smiled at the thought of it as I continued my whine. “No one likes listening to me.”

“I was listening to you!” I could sense that he was really close to me, so I quickened my pace and walked towards a pink and white building with a big clock on it. There were less people here, so I wasn’t afraid that I would lose Aaron in the crowd.

I was only two feet away from the end of the line to “It’s a Small World” when he caught up and stopped my by standing in my way with his arms spread out in the space in front of me. Pssh. As if that would stop me.

“Oh God, Gui Gui, please…listen – ”

I pushed him aside and went up to the end of the line.

“Gui Gui!” He ran up to me, but I turned my back towards him.

“I’m sorry that I wasn’t paying attention to you.” He paused. I guessed he was waiting for me to answer him, but I refused to. “I was just thinking about something…Actually about you and me.”

He was thinking about us? Us doing what?

“Dirty minded!” I gave him a nice big smack on the head and turned my back to him again.

“You call kissing dirty?”

Oh, us kissing?

“So? What if I do?” I, Gui Gui Wu, certainly was not going to let him to know what was in my mind 30 seconds ago.

He chuckled. “Well you shouldn’t have dragged me over and watched Snow White. You KNOW Prince Charming is going to kiss the princess.”

By this time, we have already boarded a boat and were entering a large room where both sides were decorated with dolls dressed in different countries’ costumes with the well-known kid’s song “It’s a Small World” played in the background.

“Look!” While I was still pondering, Aaron pointed to his side that was filled with kids from Antarctica singing.

“They’re so cute!” I pointed to a group of Eskimo children skiing in circle with penguins.

Aaron leaned his chin on my shoulder and whispered into my ear, “Not as cute as you.”

I scooted away and hit his head playfully. I stuck my tongue out at him and continued enjoying the rest of the ride without him bothering me.

After we had lunch, we went to California’s Adventure Park. Then we returned to Disneyland to see the parade.

We were sitting at the sidewalk in USA Mainstreet when a man announced that the parade would soon begin.

“Hey. Did you have fun today?”

I nodded my head and started giggling when I noticed sweat was precipitating at the tip of his nose. I started looking through my bag. “What are you doing?”

“Found ‘ya” I exclaimed as I pulled out my tiny bag of Kleenex and wiped off the stinky sweat off his nose and forehead. “You silly! You’re sweating like mad and you didn’t even notice it. Are you really that hot?”

He shook his head.

I wasn’t quite convinced by his answer. It wasn’t like I did something to him that would make him blush like mad, did I? I mean, who would turn crimson red when someone helped them wipe away sweat? It’s definitely the heat that made his cheeks burning red, and it’s time to get him a hat.

The music started and I could see the Blue Fairy from Pinocchio coming. Oh well, if he had already endured half a day without a hat, he could handle another 15 minutes in the sun.

*

“Where are we going?”

“Somewhere!” I dragged him towards Fantasyland where a shop called MAD HATTERS sell all sorts of hats!

“Why are we here?”

I just loved it when he looked at me like that – with his eyebrows knitted together and a disapproving frown.

I pushed the corners of his lips upward with my fingers. “There! You look much better now.”

The instant my fingers left his face, the frown reappeared again. As I was thinking of a way to pull that frown off his face, I spotted an Eeyore ears head band. Pulling Aaron in front of a mirror, I placed the headband onto his head.

“What the – ” he pulled the thing off and placed it onto the shelf and picked up a Pooh version. “Why Eeyore?”

“Cuz you look so much like him. The sad face, the frown, the – What the heck?”

While I was listing all the similarities, he had placed the Pooh ears headband onto my head and pushed me in front of the mirror.

“You look cute.”

I smiled when I saw the reflection of his smile on the mirror.

“Don’t I always look cute?”

“Hmmm, depends.” His reward for such an answer was my infamous deadly glare.

“Why Pooh?” I mean I’m not ALWAYS cute!

Suddenly he hugs me from behind and caught me off guard.

”Cuz I love you like everyone loves Winnie the Pooh!”

Pushing his arms away from me, I turned to face him with my hands on my waist. “Very funny. And were you trying to take advantage of me?”

He turned away. “Ooo, look at that. Isn’t it nice?”

Change of subject. Nice try, Aaron, but I would not give up until I get an answer.

“Answer me.”

“So, Gui Gui, why are we here?”

“Answer me or I will leave.”

“Gui Gui, you want this Pooh headband?”

“You made me do this.” I paused. He continued to browse through the different ear headbands. “Thanks for spending half the day with me, but I don’t think we get along well. So, let’s go our own way from now on.”

I walked away from him. Pathetic guy. He didn’t even stop me!

I stole a quick glance over my shoulder but he didn’t run after me.

“Fine, I WILL go home after all.”

He didn’t response. He just continued looking at the various hats on display.

“Arg! You!” I slapped him on the back. “I said I will go HOME!”

“Oh, you’re talking to me?”

I really wanted to pull all my hair off, but that wouldn’t be good idea, especially in this packed shop. I would just make a big fool of myself.

So, instead, I stormed out of the store without looking back at him.

I was walking past the Manhattan Mountain, and I was so deep in thought that I didn’t realize a shadow had cast upon me. I jumped up when I felt something had been placed on my head. Strangely, my sixth senses told me it was a headband.

My hands reached up to feel around the ‘thing’. It was fuzzy and two round shape things were attached to it. Could this be…

“I thought I lost you,” he breathed heavily. Obviously he had run from the shop to here. Despite the fact that he was having difficulty in breathing, he had this smile on that immediately melted my heart.

“I don’t think you will mind.” Yes, I do like to play hard-to-get.

“Aww. I’m sorry.” He pouted, and I had a hard time stopping myself from smiling. For some odd reason, his breathing was still rather fast. “Why were you so concern about my answer?” That wiped my smile off.

Why? I asked myself. Did I simply want an answer? Or were there more to it than I thought?

I turned away. “I…I don’t know.”

I was about to walk away when I heard a loud ‘thump’ behind me. Aaron was clutching his heart in pain. He tried to speak but all I could hear was the heavy breathing. Did he have a heart problem that I didn’t know of?

Immediately, I ran up to him and tried to find out what was going on with him. “Oh my god, Aaron, are you okay? Let me call for help.”

As I was pulling my cellphone out from my messenger bag, my head was slammed against a masculine chest. “Silly, I was just fooling around!”

Great. Once again I was deceived by the great actor Aaron. Isn’t this great?

No matter how hard I pushed or hit, he would not let me go. Finally, I stopped and thought I would die due to the lack of oxygen.

“Promise me you won’t leave me again.” His breathe tickled my ear and released me. “Dinner?”

How could he be thinking of food all along? I should have known that he wasn’t as concern about me as I thought he was.

We ate dinner in silence, and there were much conversation between the two of us when we searched for a nice spot to watch the firework.

Like the other night, the lights faded and music were played in the air along with the beautiful firework. Those beautiful patterns temporarily took me to another world.

Two circles were formed and one bigger circle was spread in between the two smaller ones, forming a beautiful red Mickey Mouse silhouette. “Oh my god, look at that! They haven’t been able to make such a beautiful Mickey for a while now!”

Our eyes were transfixed on the silhouette until it faded and other patterns were formed.

“Dreams can come true, everyday. Now it’s your turn to dream. Just look deep in your heart, look to the sky, and make a wish. And maybe, if you believe, your wish can come true.”

Immediately I closed my eyes and made a silent wish after the boy finished his little speech. Perhaps this will come true.

The chorus began to sing again, and I found Aaron starring at me. “Did you just make a wish?” I nodded and he smiled. “Me too. What did you wish for?”

“I will spoil it if I tell you.”

“Can I guess though?” Before I had a chance to reply, he continued. “Is it something like this?” He pulled me towards him, and his lips came crashing against mine.

Oddly enough, I enjoyed his every kisses.

Perhaps I just didn’t believe in my wishes before.

Dreams do come true.

---

Long enough chapters? Thanks for reading =)

Kimi