Chapter 2

Magic in the Stars

 

Our Night

“Happy Birthday, Hebe,” Qiao Qiao and I yelled over the noise in the club. Hebe gave us a long and tight hug after she put our presents aside. “Thank you, girls,” she said.

No, I did not give a hearing aid to Hebe if you still remembered.

After some giggling and pushing around, Hebe and Qiao Qiao went on their “hunting” for hot guys while I went to the bar to get something to drink.

“No ‘flirting’ tonight?” the bartender asked as he cleaned some wine cups.

“Mind your own business, will ‘ya?” I snapped back. Who was he to talk to me like that? But, then, I wasn’t always flirting with guys, was I?

“Maybe a prey will just magically pop up,” the bartender smiled. Something about that smile of his made me turned around. Indeed, a “prey” was making its way towards me.

My eyes went up and down him, but something about his face seemed familiar. I searched through my brain trying to remember where I had seen his face before. Maybe it was just another guy enjoying his day at the park that I had met before.

“I told you,” the bartender smiled at me again. “It’s either you hunt them down OR they flock to you.”

That guy sat down as I hissed at the bartender, “Mind your own business.”

He shrugged and went to serve another customer.

“Woah, didn’t know you can be so feisty,” the guy commented.

Oh my god. I think I have some problems…his voice sounded so familiar too. There had to be something wrong with me. I can’t go around thinking I had met all guys, can I?

I glared at him, ready to yell at him for disturbing me, but all that came out of my mouth was “Aaron?”

“I thought you forgot all about me already, Miss Gui Gui.”

My heart skipped a beat when he said my name. He actually remembered me!

“What’s up with the ‘Miss’?” I asked him.

He shrugged. Oh god, he was so cute.

His fingers played with his cup. “What are you drinking?”

I glared at him again and hissed. “None of your business.” Okay, he was cute, but that still didn’t give him a reason to stick his nose in other’s business.

He shrugged. “Where’s that sweet Gui Gui I met that day?”

I hoped he was just thinking out loud, but I sensed the sarcasm in his voice. He scooted a little closer to me and wrapped his arm around my shoulder. His hot breathe was hitting on my arm, and I could smell alcohol in his breathe. Had he been drinking all day?

“Will you mind giving me some personal space?”

Fighting hard against my will, I wiggled and freed myself from his arm. He shrugged again and began to play with his drink again. A long moment of silence fell between us. It seemed like hours before he broke it off.

“I...I broke up with Serena.”

My heart skipped another beat. Did this mean I have a chance? What the hell were you thinking Gui Gui Wu?! This was not the time for this!

I stole a quick glance at him, but my heart sank when I saw his eyes sparkling with tears and sorrow. This time it was my turn to scoot closer to him. I patted his back, trying to comfort him. “Maybe she’s not the one.”

Suddenly, he turned his head. I stared deep into his brown, remorse eyes as he asked, “Who is the one for me then? Where will I find her? When will I find her?”

I broke the eye contact. My heart ached as I stared at those eyes. Was this the consequence of loving someone. Would I experience this sadness someday?

He ordered a few more drinks as I drifted away from this noisy place to my own fantasy land.

Something or someone fell on my shoulder, waking me up from my dream. “More. I want to drink more...more...” Aaron’s voice trailed off as the noise in the pub increased.

I signed. He was drunk. Who wouldn’t be after so many cups of alcoholic beverages?

“Come on, Aaron. I’ll take you home.”

I draped his arm around my shoulder so he could lean on me for some support. After struggling across the dance floor and out to the quiet streets of Anaheim, I searched for his car. It was then did I realize that I did not know which hotel he was staying at nor did I know if he even had a car. I tried to ask him but all he could manage to tell me was a few alien words.

We were stumbling across the street when screeching brakes could be heard and a cab stopped only inches away from us.

“Hey watch where you’re going!” the cab driver yelled.

I smiled. At least I didn’t have to walk home.

*

I was searching for my keys when my phone rang. “Gui Gui speaking,” I said as I unlocked my door with Aaron leaning on me.

“Hey Gui Gui.” I could hear the booming music in the background. She must still in the club.

“Hey Hebe.” I was now making my way to my bedroom and dumped Aaron onto my bed, which was the worse mistake I made that night.

I let out a sign of relief.

“Ooo, someone sounds exhausted. Tsk. Tsk. Are you up to no good tonight?”

I laughed as I sat on the edge of my bed. “Nooo, Hebe, I think you’re the one that’s up to no good.”

I could picture her nodding her head as she replied, “I guess. Well, Anyways, I call to let you know that I’m not coming home tonight. I’m staying at...someone’s house. So, BYE!” With that she hung up on me.

What a great friend I had there. I was just about to go get a wet towel for Aaron when a pair of arms stopped me. “Don’t leave, please,” he begged as his arms tightened around my waist, trapping both of my arms as well. “Don’t leave me,” he repeated as I tried to wiggle my way out of his ‘trap’.

“Aaron, I need to get you a wet towel.” I could fell him nodding his head, but his arms remained as tight around my waist as ever. “So, can you please let go of me?” His chin slided back and forth on my shoulder. “I’m fine. No need wet towel,” he mumbled. “I just need you.”

With his cold finger, he moved my chin so my nose was now brushing against his. Slowly the gap between us diminished, and we were now tasting each other’s lips.

*

After taking a shower, I began to pick up his clothes that was scattered all over my room, and I folded them neatly before I placed them on my desk, next to a note I wrote to him, asking him to lock the door before he leaves.

The Snoopy clock on the wall read 6:35. Woah. I, Gui Gui Wu, had never been this early on a summer morning. Grabbing my messenger bag and keys, I left the apartment, leaving him all alone in my room.

---

Thank you so much for the comments! I'm glad you guys are enjoying it =]

Kimi