Chapter 11

A Cruise To Remember
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

JESSICA'S POV

It's another usual day for me as an interior designer of The Queen City of the Sea. After I had a breakfast with Yuri, I received a call from the CEO, himself, requesting me to go to his office. Here he introduced me to a man who's probably a year older than my mother. His name is Rico Delano, an Italian entrepreneur who's planning to put up a restaurant business inside the residential cruise ship.

"Mr. Delano here wants to make some alterations in the interior design of the former Ulrich's Café. You are the one he chose to do the job Miss Jung," the CEO proudly informed.

"I heard good reviews regarding your work from the tenants of this cruise ship," Mr. Delano said to explain why he chose me to do the job. "I relayed this information to my boss and I also showed him pictures of the rooms you designed. He's very much impressed of your capability that is why he chose you to supervise the renovation of the old café."

CEO Lane's like a proud father who's glad to hear Mr. Delano complimenting me. However, I wasn't able to bring myself to have the same positive countenance because I'm confused as to why the businessman addressed someone else as his boss. Mr. Delano is a decent, affluent-looking person with more than twenty years of experience in the business industry. Hence, I was really expecting that he'll be the owner of the business he's been discussing with me and the CEO.

"Pardon me for being rude but I really am just curious with what you just said. Are you saying that you're not the owner of the restaurant you plan to put up in this ship Mr. Delano?"

"That is correct Miss Jung. I am just a humble representative of my boss who is also a good friend of mine."

"If you don't mind me asking, can you tell us the name of your boss? I'd like to thank him...or her...for choosing me for this job."

Mr. Delano smiled in a manner that made me suspect something. "I'm sorry but my boss doesn't wish to be named for now. A restaurant business in a community like this is a new venture for him. He'd like to see it doing well first before he'll introduce himself as it's owner."

I didn't probe any further and just let the man do as he wishes. Whatever is up on his sleeves, I believe it's not something that will put me in danger.

After a few more discussions inside the CEO's office, we visited the old café at the sixth deck. Here, Mr. Delano discussed the kind of interior design that his boss prefers. It's strikingly similar with my mother's preferences. And because of this I became more suspicious of Mr. Delano's unnamed employer.

"I am very pleased to hear you accepting the job Miss Jung. With your talent, I am certain that my boss will not be disappointed with the result," Mr. Delano said at the conclusion of our meeting.

To avoid making him aware that I'm suspecting anything, I feigned a chummy smile and shook hands with the businessman. "Thank you for your compliments Mr. Delano. I'll do my job well so that I will meet yours and your boss' expectations."

Half an hour later, I found myself sitting in front of my laptop, searching for an information regarding my new client and his possible connection with my detestable father. Although there were pictures of them together in a gathering of business personalities, I found no articles saying that he's working for the Jung Corporation. Still, I assumed that the businessman he refused to name is my father. I'm quite certain about it because I can feel it and I trust my instinct.

"I don't care if you really are his boss," I uttered while staring at the picture of the man who broke my mother's heart. Simply looking at his picture makes my blood boil in anger because of what he and his family did to my mother. "I will not soften to you, Jung Woo Sung. Yes, I can treat you as a client. I can forgive you if you'll sincerely ask for it. But to welcome you as my father is a different story."

When I had calmed down, I proceeded to my next appointment. This time it's a meeting with one of the residents of the cruise ship. His name is Jason Cullen, a forty-eight year-old engineer from Scotland who is getting married for the second time next year. Mr. Cullen's first wife died five years ago in a hiking accident in France. Just like Yuri, he chose to live at the residential cruise ship because he's running away from the painful memory of losing the one that he loves. And in this ship is where his heart re-opened for someone new. 

"My fiancée is a big fan of contemporary design," my client stated to give me a glimpse of the task he's about to give me. "Unfortunately I am a very traditional guy. My family's a fan of Victorian decorative arts so I've grown accustomed to it. In a married life, you always have to take into consideration your partner's choice isn't it? That is why I want both contemporary and Victorian design to be reflected in our house's interior. I am also capable of designing rooms. The problem is when I mix and match, one or more details look out of place. That is why I come to you for help Miss Jessica."

"Is your house already constructed or..."

"The construction is nearly done but the pictures of all the rooms are not available at the moment. What I plan to do is to bring you to London with me for you to see the house. According to what I heard, you prefer seeing the actual place rather than referring to pictures when you plan out the design. Did I hear it wrong Miss Jessica?"

"No. Your source is hundred percent correct Mr. Cullen."

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter