Chapter 1

A Cruise To Remember
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

YURI'S POV

 

When I was twelve years old, I told myself that I'm the luckiest person born in this world. Aside from being an only child, I'm also blessed with everything that I need - wealth, a loving parents and a bunch of friends to rely on. I was extremely happy and contented with my life. I even boasted about it to other people whom I saw as inferior to me. But everything changed a year after I finished my college degree. My father was shot by a bank robber. And because of severe blood loss, the doctor declared him as dead on arrival.

Though my mother experienced trauma because she was with my dad when the incident happened, she still tried to stand firm because she's the only family I have left. But the pain of losing a loving husband is too much. So after several months of trying, my mother broke down and committed suicide.

Since I'm still a novice in managing a real estate business, I often committed mistakes that disappointed some investors. Our company went through a tough time. I didn't know what to do so I asked for the help of the people I'm close with. It was then that I realized that the friends I have are all fake. I cannot depend on them. They only liked me for my money and not for who I am.

"You're not supposed to be here. Drinking alcohol will not help you solve the problem your company is going through," I heard someone say behind me which stopped me from downing the content of my glass. I peered through this guy while trying to figure out who he is. And alas! It hit me. His name is Lee Dong Wook, the thirty five year old heir of Lee Enterprises and the owner of the bank where my father was shot.

"What about you? Why are you in a bar instead of solving your bank's security problem?" I sneered at him in disgust. I hate everything and everyone related to that bank, especially him who didn't show up during my father's burial.

Dong Wook was unfazed with what I said to him. He even sat beside me and had the guts to look at me in the eyes. "I already did what I need to do. I fired whoever needs to be fired and hired the best that I can find. What happened to your father was the biggest challenge on my career so I promised not to let the same thing happen ever again. Though we've already compensated for your loss, I know that it's not enough. That's why I came here looking for an opportunity to talk to you." I bet my contorted expression was enough cue for Dong Wook. He proceed with explaining himself further though I didn't verbally demand for it. "I heard that you lost your biggest investor. I am here to make a proposition, Miss Kwon. I want to invest in your company. I want to help you bring your parents' business back to life."

"Life? My parents' business?" My blood boiled at those words. I wanted to slap him. But I didn't because I don't want to make a scene even though we're at the VIP area of the bar where only a few people are around. "What I want for you to do is to bring my parents back. All of my problems started when I lost them because of your negligence Mr. Lee. But a man like you, who's not capable of showing up during my father's burial, cannot do that. I don't need your help. I can solve this problem without relying to someone like you. Goodbye. Don't show your face to me ever again!"

After paying for my drinks, I left the bar without looking back to where he's seated. I thought he'd stop bugging me with his investment plan. But he didn't. He kept on visiting my office until my father's bestfriend and most trusted staff encouraged me to accept the offer.

"No! I won't do it! He's the owner of the bank where my father was killed. What will the others say if we'll accept his offer Mr. Ji? I don't want to be a laughing stock in this industry. I've had enough dealing with him!" I retorted because I strongly disagree with Dong Wook's proposal.

"It will pass. Don't mind about what the others will say." Mr. Ji sat across my table and spoke to me as my godfather and legal guardian. "Yuri, the reason why your father went to Mr. Lee's bank is to encourage him and his father to invest in our company. This is what Ji Sung wants - for us to build a partnership with Lee Enterprises. Mr. Lee's family has a strong influence in the business industry. This will benefit our company. And it will also solve the fall out created by what happened to your dad. Just look on the bright side Yuri. It's time for you to free yourself from hatred. Mr. Lee has sincerely apologized for what happened. Give him a chance to prove his sincerity. A year of dwelling on your resentment is already long enough."

I thought about what my godfather said. He's right. I need to give Mr. Lee a chance. And I also believed that creating a partnership with him will benefit the both of us. Hence, I finally agreed to accept his offer. It wasn't easy at first. Many discouraged me from making business with him. They said that he's only using me to clear his name that got stained after what happened to my dad. But Dong Wook ignored their criticisms and continued helping my parents' business. And his assistance didn't just end with financial aid. He also promoted the company to all his friends in the business industry. And I was quite surprised how vast his knowledge was in real estate development.

"Congratulations! You deserve that award Yuri. Keep up the good work," Dong Wook said when he came to my house to personally greet me for the leadership award that I received. It's been three years since he invested in my company. And within those years, I improved and achieved enough as a young leader of my parents' business.

"Thank you, Mr. Lee. I wouldn't have done it without you. So thank you very much for everything."

Dong Wook smiled and nodded but his eyes gleamed with sadness. "This is what I want for your company. For it to be successful even if your parents are already gone. I thought if this happens, it will clear my conscience from guilt. But it's still there. I'm still ashamed of what happened to your father and the trauma your mother went through."

Dong Wook paused to e

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter