Our Dream

Cliffhanger.

                Heechul always dreamed to be an astronaut, while I always dreamed to be there by his side when his dream comes true. Since we are kid, Heechul’s imaginative thoughts always accompany my logical brain which he thinks it’s boring, what a contrast.

                “Teukie…promise me you will be there when I sticking our Korean flag!” he said while putting down his self-made aluminum foil astronaut helmet. He’s talking about the moon and his dream to come there. Honestly, I have a doubt about answering his request, but then I realize, I’m going to be in his side no matter what.

                “I’m going to come with you wherever, even to the Pluto or another galaxy, but you have to build a rocket with me, together!” I said. Now he smiles widely until his dimples showed up. He hugged me and put another helmet in my head, I think he prepares that since a while ago. “Without you ask for it, I’m willing spend my days to build a rocket with you…”

                That was 10 years ago, when we were still in kindergarten. Now the situation is different. When the innocence of a kid fades away and replaced by mature reality. When my mind has been possessed by a logically overload thoughts, I started to forget our dreams. But not with Heechul, he still has that pure imaginative spirit of a child. One day, under the night sky, we sit in between stars and thatch. He still same after all this years, always immersed by a twinkle of sky light that he always see every night since I met him. Time goes away so fast, yet he still looked like the old Heechul, a childish Heechul, My Heechul.

                “Have you ever wonder why I’m always wanted to be an astronaut?” he said successfully break the quietness. I really want to know the answer of that thought, just like everyone who knows us did. “I want to become an astronaut because you always said to me you wanted to make a rocket for us… Rocket will not go anywhere without astronaut… You will not go anywhere without me…” he said while sighed and still stargazing.

                “I just don’t want you to leave me with your grown-up personality… but in the end, you still going to leave me, right?” he said piercing my heart. Indeed, someday I will forget our childish dream, but forgetting Heechul is the last thing I would do in my life.

                “Do you know why I always wanted to make a rocket?” I ask him. He just shakes his head, making his hair just getting messier. “I always thought, exploring the galaxy with you would be something I always expecting… Especially, if we don’t have to come back to this boring world full of commotion” I said while stare at him who smiles like a cotton candy. I always know both of us never wanted to come back.

                “After I think about it, Stargazing with you it’s already enough to fulfill my dream” he said while nudging my shoulder. The sky tonight is in fact beautiful, it making me forget that tomorrow he and I need to return to school. For the first time in my life, I wish the world would stop rounding tonight, just for this moment, at least just for the two of us. I gaze at Heechul’s pretty face whom I already familiar with. He always has been my dream since I saw him.

“Heechul-ah… Because of you, I never wanted us to go anywhere”