Have You Eaten?

Cliffhanger.

             “Teukie… have you eaten?” that question always popped up from my friend’s mouth. He always ask whether I already eaten or not and I always answer it with a no. I’m really not the type who likes to have a breakfast, but it changes since I sat with Kim Heechul.

             This kid is real weirdo, he always asking me that question although he knows my answer is always no. If he hears my answer about food, he will run to cafeteria and buy Strawberry bread for us to eat. It is always like that every morning, although he’s late, he still does that.

            Our first meeting is also interesting. If people will ask what is my name first, not with Heechul, he asked ’what kind of flavor do you like?’ and with confused face I answer with strawberry. That leaves a wide smile in his face while he sits and rambling how lucky he is because we share the same taste.

             For 1 year I sit with him, and since that day I share bread with that kid, not only bread, but all of the foods he or I bought. There is one time I ask him, “Why you always buying me food? You will get a detention if you come late from cafeteria” but that bastard just answer while giggles and ruffle my hair.

             “I just like to eat with you… Teukie” answer his. Not really a logical answers right? Sometimes I’m thinking, if I answer his question with a yes, what could happen?

             I already know the answer now, here Heechul lay down weakly, it’s the first time I see him like this. His body thin and infuse in his hand almost finished. Both of his eyes are closed and it makes me miss him more every day. I’m so stupid for not realizing that my friend have anorexia, the deadly illness to have release because of my curiosity over food.

            “He healed for a while, but these days he really not eating after school” said his mother from another room. Now the guilt came to me, I should be the one who ask him, not the other way. This is not about I’ve already eaten or not, this is about who he want to eat with.

             I miss him since that day, hoping that I can repeat all of the memories, hoping he will wake up and have strength. Every day I came just to see him, I come to his bed to sing lullaby or just to his hair. Till he wake up, with a weak smile he see me and I hug him in spot, crying. And dumbly, that bastard just do what he always does.

“Teukie… Have you eaten?”