Doubts

The Truth

The commotion around me got even more louder when we reached to the lobby. I heard Seo Do Yoon Hyung's voice when we were near the door. "Step aside. Please clear the way to the ambulace." He kept on repeating this untill I was inside the ambulance. He got inside, behind the paramedics. He sat on my side, clearly in some kind of a shock. "Kang daepyo. What the hell happened?"

I tried to give him a smile in assurance thta I was fine, but though better of it as the pain got severe. Hyung looked like someone dying to ask questions but kept quiet, all troughtout the way to the hospital.

Yoon So Hee, my secretary was already in hospital by the time we reached there and when she looked at me, I knew that she was second away from crying. Thankfully they took me straight to the operation theatre, saving me from further questions. 

It wasn't like I didn't wanted to answer but the thing was I myself didn't understood what was going on. I remembered the anger in the eyes the the second man who had stabbed me. It was as if he hated me more that anything else in the whole world. I was never able to even understand why someone would kill my family. We were quite a normal family. My parents didn't had any enemies. My family has never hurt anyone else. So why would someone kill them? Questions like this always plagued me. Now I can't understand why does that man has so much hatred against me? What did I ever do to me? What did he mean when he said he wanted to stop this? Why did two people attacked me today? Who was the girl that saved me? These were my last thoughts as I fell asleep due to the effect of anaesthesia.

When I woke up, my surroundings were dark. So it took me a few minutes to adjust my eyes to the darkness. It seems as if I was inside the ICU. My hands brushed against something like hair.

"Chul-ah?" I heard So Hee's sleepy voice. She switched on the lamp beside my bed. "Are you okay? Do you feel alright? Is the stitches painful?

I tried to answer but my throat felt drier than a sand paper. "Wa-ter"

She looked at me, confused for a moment but then understood that I was asking for water. She also adjusted the bed so that I can drink it more comfortably.

"I am calling the doctor." She said and pressed a button on my bedside.

Few minutes later, the doctor came in along with a nurse.

"Kang daepyonim, I see you are awake. How do you feel?"

"I don't feel anything."

He smile as he checked my pulse and some chart. "It must be because of the anaesthesia. Don't worry about the pain. I can give you some medicines if you think it's unbearable but as much as its concerned you are going to be just fine."

"So he's going to be alright soon?"

"Well the wounds were quite deep, especially the one near your chest. It will definitely take some time for those to heal and we have to take care that it doesn't catches any infection. So you will have to stay here till it is fully recovered. Other than that, he is coping very well."

"Thank you doctor."

"We will have to keep you inside the ICU for 10 more hours, just for medical observations. After that, we will shift you to a private room. Is that okay."

I nodded in reply. As soon as the doctor got out, I looked around. "Where is Do Yoon Hyung?"

"Oh, he went to the cafeteria to eat something. But can you please tell me why did you went up to the rooftop all alone? What were you thinking? Do you even have any concern for yourself?"

"If he had, he wouldn't have been on a hospital bed right now." I looked up to see Hyung coming inside. He looked like he hadn't had a wink of sleep for the past 24 hours. He was wearing the same clothes as before and his eyes had light blues under them. I felt guilty. I looked at So Hee. She didn't looked any better than him. I felt immensely guilty.

"Why do both of you look like zombies?"

"Are you kidding me? Do you even have any idea as to how much Do Yoon Oppa and I have been through. I guess I should let you know that in the 19 hours that you have been sleeping, we had to deal with the police, the public and your three operations." So Hee snapped.

"Yes. Not only that but everyone is going crazy over the well being of their national hero."

I smile. National hero. "Then how about both the of you go back and take some well needed rest. I am fine now. Even the doctor said so."

"But-" So Hee started but was interrupted by Hyung. "He's right Yoon Bisoo. You go home and take some rest. I will stay here. Don't worry. This time I won't leave him alone even for a minute."

"How about when I need to use the washroom?"

"Then you would have tp finish before your 1 minute deadline." Those words surprised me. "And when I have to bathe?"

"Kang Daepyo, stop being smart with me and try to behave like an injured person."

"Okay. I'll leave, but Oppa please take care of him."

"I will."

We kept quiet until So Hee went out, then he said "She worries about you so much, but you seem like you don't care about her at all."

"What are you talking about? Of course I care about her."

"Not the way she wants you to. You do realize that she like you, don't you."

"Hyung!"

"That too for about more than 15 years."

"Hyung, you know it better than anyone else that she is my best friend"

"Kang Chul, a time will come when she will ask to be something more. What will be your answer then? I get that you don't think about her like that but atleast don't give that poor girl any false hopes. She's been hoping for you to realize it one day but you are just going to break her heart."

I sighed. Of course I knew abou So Hee's feelings. I also knew that what I was doing was not fair. But I have never said or done anything to suggest that I like her. Is it really my fault that the world just assumes friendship for something else just because we have been together for more than 15 years?

"Anyways can you tell me what happened? You told me you were going for some fresh air. How did a stroll on the roof got so dangerous?"

I thought back to the incident. I told Hyung that I was going for some fresh air? Its so strange. Even if I told him not to follow me why did lie?

"Did anyone see anything?"

"As far as I know, there was nothing. Son Sir is investigating it though."

"What about the woman?"

"Erm.......I think the said police they don't know. Although I am not sure what happened."

"Ask Yoon Bisoo to find out more about that woman."

"Don't worry, the secretary's office is already on it. But what about the person who attacked you? Didn't you see his face?"

"No. It was covered in a mask." I said. The second, though, was it real?

Of course it was real. I have a wound to prove it. But there is something. Something else in play. Something that was out of the ordinary.