The First Bloody Meeting

The Truth

I felt as if it was a miracle. Which was why I was so reckless. The last thing I remembered was someone telling on the phone that he knows exactly what happened that night 12 years ago. He said he knew that I was late because I wanted to complete the chapter before it was taught in class. He said he knew that I had went to buy sausages on the way home to makeup for shouting at my mother before leaving. He said he feels pity and wants me to stop being foolish.

I vaguely remember stepping out of my bedroom and going towards the elevator. Asking Hyung that he doesn't needs to accompany me. Waiting on the rooftop, I wondered what I was doing here, listening to some unknown caller. I decide to go but feel a sharp pain on my flank just as I am about to turn back. I do turn back though, wincing, and in front of me is a man, covered in black from head to toe. The darkness and the second to my chest cloud my vision, barring me from seeing the man's face. I try to deflect and attack but I feel as if all of my energy and fighting skills are lost. I try to punch him. Instead, I fall on the ground. I watch helplessly as the man walks away before succumbing to the the land of unconsciousness.

'No. No. No. This is not possible. I cannot die like this. Not when I have finally gotten a clue.I have promised this to myself on the graves of my family. I will not die without knowing the reason.'

I jolt awake. For a moment, I wonder where I am but then register the pain. "AHH" I try to reach for my cell phone when I feel someone's presence. I look up and see a man in khaki pants and sweats. I sigh in relief. "Am-ambulance. Can you please call the ambulance?" I try to find my voice inspite of the tremendous pain which is why I miss the look in the man's eye. "Let's stop this, okay?" He says with a deep resent in his voice. "Let's just stop this" He says as he picks up the dagger. My survival skills kick in a little too late as I feel the stab on my chest. I feel the hit to my ribcage and I'm sure I hear it crack. Once again my sight is blackened as I almost faint in the pain. But adrenaline kicks in and I am able to overcome the pain as I take the dagger out. I struggle as I try to injure him. With great difficulty I turn the dangerous end of the dagger towards him and plunge it into him.

He pulls back as he shouts in pain and pulls the dagger out. This is when I realize something is wrong. There is no blood stain on him. I look at him in surprise but he looks just he same. As he realizes he is not hurt at all, he gets up and runs away. I try to get up but the three blows finally registers itself on my body. I slump back, wishing for the night sky to not be the last thing I see.

The next time I come around is when I hear someone telling me to hang on. I open my eyes with great difficulty and look around but see no one. I moan. 'Chul, are you hearing things in your last moments?' I ask myself. 

Few minutes later I hear voices again, but this tme around the pain is too much for me to uderstand words and sentences. I try opening my eyes but suddenly feel suffocated. I feel like I can't breath. Like something very heavy is placed on my chest. I struggle for the oxygen that I know my body needs to stay alive but I feel helpless.

My last hopes of survival vanishes as I feel death approaching me but then a sudden sharp tinge on the right side of my heart clears the clouds surrounding my senses. My eyes open and my ears hear the sound of cars and a commotion in the distance. But the thing that takes up my attention is the pair of brown eyes filled with worry and concern. I stare at them for a moment before I realize that I can breathe properly. Then exhaustion takes over me and I fall back to sleep.

I wake up when I fell someone sprinkling droplets of water on my face. As I open my eyes, I see a group of people surrounding me with a middle aged man, probably a doctor the way he's examining me, kneeling next to me. I try searching for the face I earlier saw before passing out but she's not there. Did I imagine her? I hear someone asking me for forgiveness and telliing me that I am going to be alright but I ignore it all. Did she leave? I almost give up hope convincing myself that it was proably an imagination as people shift me from the floor to a stretcher when my eyes find her. I look at her as she find her ways through a crowd surrouding me. I somehow feel it- the mutual way we look at each other in a daze. I look at her untill I can't. As the paramedics take into the building, I came to a realization. I survived because of her.