Surprise Visit

The Truth

A week passed by and we were still on the same place that we were 7 days ago. There was no progress on the mysterious saver. Just like the culprit, the only evidence of Oh Yeon Joo being real was the visiting card. 

I sighed as the nurse came to take my tray and give me my medicines. It was 10 pm. Normally, I slept after 1 but the hospital bored me and I usually dozed by this time. I was nearly asleep when I heard the door opening. I opened my eyes to see the nurse. “I will administer some antibiotics.” She said.

Hyung was reading a book sitting at his usual place.

“Where is Yoon Bisoo?” I asked him. She usually comes by to visit before I sleep, sometimes she even stays here. 

“She’s talking to the employees.” Well, she would have called if there had been any progress. I closed my eyes to sleep again but was interrupted by a ruckus outside my room door. I could hear my guards telling someone that they are not allowed in but then the door opened and a woman in a lab coat barged in. She paused near the open door and looked at me, then at the nurse. Her expression turned frightened as she shouted “Oh no! Please stop it.” She came towards me and before anybody knew what was going on, ripped out the IV needle off my hand. Then frantically asked, “Are you alright?”

Hyung asked her “What’s going on?” but she ignored him and asked me again “I said are you alright?”

 “What is the problem?” I asked her.

“This isn’t antibiotics. It’s potassium, to cause a heart attack.”

This grabbed everyone’s attention and was confirmed when the nurse ran away. Hyung and the others ran after the nurse.

I looked at the woman as she stooped to pick up the dropped syringe from the floor. Why does she looks so familiar?

“When did she administer the shot?” She asked looking a bit out of breath.

“Just before you came in.” Where have I seen her before?

She looked relieved as she heard that. “Then it’s okay. Then it shouldn’t be a problem.”

“How did you know about this?” I asked. 

“Huh? I was just passing by. It was by chance. The nurse looked really suspicious.” Those brown eyes…… can it be?

Just before I am about to ask, the doctor enters, frantically trying to asses what’s going on. He says something, but I am not paying attention. I sense she is about to escape once again, so I grab her by the arm and make her face me. It’s definitely Oh Yeon-joo. The badge on her lab pocket confirms it more. “Oh Yeon-joo ssi?” I ask. 

She looks at me like a cat caught in the act and shakes her head. “No, I am not.”

I smile. “It’s written there- Oh Yeon-joo.” I point to her pocket. I hear hyung asking, “Oh Yeon-joo ssi? From earlier on the roof?”

She looks even more terrified but I don’t care. Even if it has taken ten days, the woman who might be the key to my life is finally in front of me. I smile and say " Oh Yeon-joo ssi, we finally meet."

“Doctor, I am alright. Why don’t you go and oversee the nurse’s matter.” I tell him and he clearly understands that I want him out of the room. I look back at her.

“You look like you’re about to faint. Why don’t you sit down?” For a minute, she looks at me like I am a chair which has started talking. Then she looks at the stool as if contemplating whether to run or take the seat. She chooses the later but doesn’t stops looking at the door.

“Do you work here?”

“No.” Comes her quick answer but thinks better of it. “I mean… yes.”

“Then why does your visiting card says Myungsei University?”

“That.. is.. because… yeah, I used to work here earlier but now I don’t. Now I work at Myungsei University.”

Wow. She’s trying really hard.

“That university doesn’t exists.”

“Huh? Ah, of course it doesn’t. Because i-it was sh-shut down.”

“Shut down.” Although it doesn’t seems like a lie, I feel like something doesn’t adds up.

“Yes. It got shut down… because of financial crisis. So it means that currently I am unemployed.” Saying so she starts laughing.

“Then what are you doing here? You aren’t a doctor of this hospital.”

“What?”

“What the hell are you doing here?” I ask. I kind of want to know how far she can take this without making it all too unbelievable.

She pauses, trying had to think. “The news. I saw on the news that you were looking for me. So I came to meet you here.”

“Didn’t you said you came here by chance?”

“.… I accidentally saw the nurse. She looked really suspicious. It’s not that I came here accidentally. I originally intended to meet you.” She seemed out of breath and deeply trying to make sense on what she said. Maybe she realized that it did made sense which was why she looked at me and said “Yeah.”

I looked at hyung. He looked like he had bought her explanations. I might have to. I must say it, this woman is good at lying. I am not saying she’s bad but the thing is her eyes are very expressive. They give her out. Like right now, I can tell that she is trying really hard to think. If it hadn’t been about my life, it would have been really funny.

Before I can further question her, So Hee barges in the door, filled with questions. “What happened? I heard the nurse changed the medications. Why would she do that? Are you okay.”

Ever the worried one. But before I can question, she sees Oh Yeon-joo sitting  and I can tell the gears in her head changing. “Is she Oh Yeon-joo ssi?? Ah, this is surprising. How are you just here when we weren’t even able to trace you? Hello I am Kang  Daepyo’s secretary ,Yoon So Hee. Have you been here the whole time? Myungsei University doesn’t exists.”

“Ah…. she explained about it just about now.” I inform her. She looks at me as if surprised. “Oh! Did she? .” I nod my head in affirmation. “By the way you’re a looker. You look beautiful.” What the heck is Yoon So Hee upto now, I think. “We made a wrong identikit because of you? She says looking at me. Has she finally lost it? What the hell is she trying to do?

I smilingly say, “Sure she looks good. I never said anything.” I warn So Hee to keep quiet when I hear a snort. “You don’t have to say empty words now.” Oh Yeon-joo says. “You said if I am beautiful then everyone on the street is beautiful.”

….  What. The. Hell?