The Key to Life

The Truth

The next day I was shifted to a private room. I wish I had stayed in the  ICU for a few more days because as soon as I was shifted the cops came in to take my statement on the  the attack. I, of course, told them the edited version of what happened. That I went up the roof for some fresh air but was attacked. The attacker was wearing a mask so I wasn't able to see his face. I couldn't fight because he had stabbed me without any warning. I lost consciousness after I saw him leaving. 

They didn't question me. Just said they would find the culprit. I suppressed my urge to laugh. If the cops had been smart enough  to find the real convict then I would have never been held behind the bars.

Still, I wished them the best. 

After the cops went away I had to deal with my PR manager about the public statement. It was only after lunch that I had time to rest. 

Hyung was watching the news. All of them were about me. I sighed as I saw the crowd in front of this hospital in the news. People were standing with banners like 'Get Well Soon, Kang Daepyonim' & 'We Love You Kang Daepyo' & 'We Will Protect You Kang Daepyo'.

Somehow, it was touching. I setup the show to find my family's murderer. I am not successful yet about my goal but atleast my I got my something in return. 

It's amazing how people you have never met and probably aren't going to meet can also affect you. From the time I won my first medal for shooting, I have received praise and love from everyone. It only grew when I won the Olympic Gold. Somewhere along, I realized that one of the reasons I was so depressed after I was release from the jail was because the people who once praised me were looking at me like the most despicable thing walking on this planet.

Which was why the banners made me actually feel good.  People say they don't care what others think about them but you know it affects you, no matter how much you don't want it to.  But it isn't enough. It will never be enough until  I find out the real reason I behind why a shocked orphan was blamed to be a murderer. 

I thoughts suddenly turn to the night I was attacked. Three unknown people changed my life's direction. Two people were so intent on killing me like I was the reason to all of their sorrows. If not for the woman who found me injured, I think I might have actually died. It was strange- how I felt like we were connected. Somehow, I had a feeling that she was the missing dot which I have been searching for. Or atleast she was the path which would eventually lead me to the missing context.

I called So Hee. 

"Yes Kang Daepyo" 

"Do you have anyblead on the woman?"

I heard her breathe. "Let's talk in person. I'm in the reception."

Saying so, she ended the call. Two minutes later the door opened and Yoon So Hee entered the room. Hyung turned the television off.

"Did you find her?"

"No." Great.

"Then? What did you had to talk about?"

"The woman...... she's a bit strange." So Hee said as she handed me a visiting card. It read Oh Yeon-joo.

"She gave this card to the hotel manager and also agreed to give a statement to the police. But when they went to find her, she was already gone.They asked around but no one had seen her. It was like she had disappeared."

"She disappeared?" That word caught my attention because I was very much acquainted with it. Just what was going on in my life? First the murderer. Then the two attackers and now this woman- Oh Yeon-joo. It seemed like all of them did their work and vanished into the thin air.

So Hee continued "Just like the culprit, we have no idea how she came or went. Also, she said she was a doctor in Myungsei University Medical Centre."

"Where is that?" 

"There is no such hospital in the entire country. Also the e-mail and phone number written on the card turned out to be fake. It's all just so strange."

Ofcourse it's strange. It is related to me. It won't be related to me if it's not strange. But this just confirmed my suspicions, this woman- Oh Yeon Joo is somehow a big part of this puzzle.

"The police are..... suspecting her to be the accomplice." So Hee said. 

This took my attention. Accomplice? Oh Yeon-joo?

I thought back to the moment she had pushed a pen on my chest so that I wouldn't choke to death. She looked so worried. And when they were taking me away on the stretcher, she had look too confused and a bit shocked.

I have seen the look in the eyes of people who wanted me dead. It made me cringe. Which is why I can definitely never believe those brown eyes to be cold enoughbto hold anger and resentment against me. I never even onc suspected that the hands that gave me aid would ever be able to hurt me Not. Even. Once.

"That's not it...... I don't think that's it."

This seemed to draw everyone's attention. So Hee looked like she suspected me of a unknown head injury.

To be truthful, it kind of also surprised me. But every part of me knew that it was true.

"How can you be so sure? You don't remember anything."

"My gut says so." I said. So Hee looked sure I had hit my head.

"My sixth sense tells me that is not it. Anyways, don't lag around. Do everything you can to find her. We have to find her."

So  Hee looked at me suspiciously. "Why? Why do we need to find her when you think that she is not an accomplice?"

"Because I think that this woman holds the key to my life."

I smiled.That's right. Not matter how shocked both of the people in front of me looked.

So Hee was the first one to recover from their seemingly serious shock. "The Key to your Life?"

I nodded.

So Hee laughed like she was about to lose it. "Wow. That is so cheesy." I ignored her like she didn't said anything. "Find her."

"The police are making a sketch. The hotel staff said she was quite a looker."

Huh. Now where did her looks came in-between? 

"She's not that good."

So Hee's reply was faster than a lightning.

"The staff said she was beautiful."

"If she is beuatiful than everyone on the street is beautiful."

"Still she is the key to your life?"

"Ah! I didn't say it because of that." 

"Really! Because I thought you had fallen in love at first."

"Oh? What do you think of me?"

Smiling sarcastically, she said "The greatest play boy of the century?"

Playboy? Me?

"Then how is she your life's key?"

"Because she can explain the reason of my existence."

This time, she didn't hide her anger.

"This is so frustating. Even I can find you your reason of existence. Look, your parents loved each other. They got married. Then a sp-"

I know she can go on like this for the entire day. So I cut her.

"Tell them to not make the sketch too pretty. We might not be able to find her." I looked at hyung. He seemed too amused to stop this. "And talk to me informally only when we are alone."

Hyung actually smiled at me.

"Oh! Yeah sure Sir Mr Kang. I will tell the police that the women that is to become the key to your life is NOT beautiful at all."

Then she bowed at me before leaving in anger.

"She seems really angry." I said to hyung.

He nodded. "Calling her the key to your life must be a bit too much for Yoon Bisoo....... She must be really beautiful. That woman."

Not you too, hyung.

"I said she is not beautiful." But hyung just smiled like he didn't believe me at all.

"Huh, seriously!"

I knew that they wouldn't believe me no matter what. But that wasn't important. Right now the only thing that mattered was finding this woman. My key.

I once again looked at the only proof of her existence.

'Oh Yeon-joo. Cardiothoraic Surgery Resident.' was written there. 

"Oh Yeon-joo. Where is she right now?"