Power Couple

Collections of Junghope

Word Count: 2591

Jungkook's dates everybody but never for more than a week, and Hoseok doesn't date anybody. But things change when they become friends.

This is just a drabble, but I hope you like it anyways! IMPORTANT: There is an author's note at the bottom that I would appreciate if you read. As always, Junghope Fighting!


It was no secret that Jungkook was the university’s heartthrob. He was only in his first semester of his sophomore year, but he garnered a lot of attention his freshmen year-the attraction only getting stronger. Jungkook himself didn’t really understand why, he was rather ordinary looking. He had just dyed his hair a medium brown, the sides kept shorter than the top that always laid over top of his forehead, his eyes were the usual brown, and his smile resembled a bunny- or so he had been told, repeatedly. Jungkook did pride himself on his body though, he was tall with long legs and a narrow waist, and he had muscles that were very firm- he was proud of his muscles, okay?

Jungkook also had the uncanny ability to be good at a lot of things. He danced well, he sang well, his musical compositions were good, and his drawings were good (“They kind of actually,” “Shut up, Yoongi hyung, they are wonderful.”). He also did well in school, making solid A’s in all his classes.

Jungkook actually has a lot of positives that makes him the heartthrob. So Jungkook gets a lot of confessions, and well, he’s very nice and also a little-despite his appearance- timid. He always says yes, never rejecting anyone. So he’s had a lot of girlfriend and boyfriends, but they never last very long. Each person breaking up with him after a week or two because they realize that the Jungkook they see is what they get. An awkward boy that doesn’t like skin ship, terms of endearment, and is so independent that he likes to do more things alone than with another person. Jungkook still gets confessions, each person thinking they could bring out a different him, but now it’s different. Now he says no. (Annoyingly kind about it of course so that nobody could ever really be sad about it.)

Now he’s dating the senior transfer, Jung Hoseok.

Jung Hoseok is a heartthrob in his own way. People love being around him, he’s bright and cheerful, always yelling and laughing. He’s good looking with black hair and apple cheeks and a smile as bright as the sun. He’s average height and thin, but he’s firm from years of dancing. He captured people’s attention when he transferred in the second semester of his junior year, there was a big ruckus when somebody stumbled upon him practicing in a dance room and then after that everybody flocked to see him dance. Then people realized that it got better, because he too was good at a lot of things. He could dance-obviously-, his musical compositions were good, he was good at rapping, and he could sing well (“I wouldn’t say well.” “Shut up, Yoongi hyung, don’t be jealous of my beautiful voice.”) He also made all A’s in school, which was unfathomed because he was a double major in nursing and in general performance arts.

(“I’m a double major, performing arts and nursing.” “Jesus, can you get any more perfect?” “Well, he’s still ugly.” “Shut up Yoongi hyung. I’m beautiful.”)

Hoseok gets a lot of confessions as well, though he never says yes. He’s very nice and can also be timid sometimes, but he only believes in dating somebody that he can see a future with. So each and every confession he gets, he kindly rejects them in a soft tone and a small pet on the person’s head with an offer to be friends.

Except for Jungkook’s.

Nobody knows that Jungkook is the one who confessed to the older, not Hoseok. But neither bothered to correct people, not even their friends. They didn’t think it mattered and people will always believe what they want anyways.

Hoseok and Jungkook were friends first but then naturally fell together. Hoseok was Jimin’s childhood friend and when he transferred in he easily fell into their friend group. Then, later into the summer as Hoseok was visiting Jungkook in his hometown, they became a couple officially.

(“Hoseok, will you be my boyfriend?” “What?” “I’m asking you to be my boyfriend.” “Yeah, no I got that.” “Then why do you look so confused.” “I thought I already was your boyfriend.”)

Some people were shocked when Hoseok and Jungkook came back as a couple, but many people were happy. Their friends, to Jungkook’s shock, were especially surprised. (“We kind of already thought you guys were together.” “See, I told you.” “Shut up Hobi. It’s not official until somebody asks.”) It didn’t stop the confessions, in fact, it somehow increased their popularity. Though many were surprised that they were still together well past the half way mark of the semester. This was the longest Jungkook has ever dated anybody.

His friends were even beginning to grow weary, afraid of what was to come.

*

“Jungkook, are you okay?” Jimin asked, Taehyung and Jungkook sitting opposite of him at a small picnic table in the quad. Jungkook looked up from his notes, his eyes shining with their usual innocence.

“Yeah hyung, why are you asking?” Jungkook replied with an arch of his eyebrow. Jimin noticed that the younger kept fidgeting and glancing at his phone.

“Well I’ve noticed that you’ve been looking at the same sheet for the past twenty minutes,” Jimin said offhandedly as he flipped to the back of his book for a definition.

Jungkook muttered a soft oh before he sighed. Taehyung chuckled as the younger ran his fingers through his hair, his best friend doing that when he was nervous.

“Is it Hobi hyung?” Taehyung prodded, “Because we know it’s Hobi hyung.”

Jungkook shook his head rapidly while Jimin and Taehyung shared a look before turning back to the younger. Jimin groaned at the other’s nature to close off when he’s having trouble. “Look, JK. Whenever you look at Hoseok hyung, you have this look in your eyes lately. Something hesitant and sad.”

Jungkook looked at them and bit his lip. Starting to get annoyed, Jimin finally just asked, “Are you going to break up with him?”

“It’s about that time,” Taehyung muttered under his breath during the silence, wincing when Jungkook and Jimin both shot him a glare causing him to raise his hands in defense, “I mean, but am I wrong? This is much longer than you’ve dated anybody else.”

Jungkook’s features soften at the oldest’s words, “Tae, I.” The male raised a hand to cut the younger off, “Don’t worry about it Jungkook.”

Still though, Jungkook couldn’t help but look at his best friend with sad eyes causing Taehyung to sigh and shrug, “Look Jungkook. I made the mistake that everybody else did. I liked the idea of you and me together. I thought that it would be different once we got together, I thought I could change how you were.”

Taehyung was telling the truth. He really did make that mistake that everybody else did. He had asked Jungkook out three weeks before the arrival of Hoseok. He had thought that maybe his best friend really did love him back, he just couldn’t tell because of the younger’s nature. So he went out on a limb and asked the younger out, but he knew better in his heart. He knew that Jungkook never said no to anyone, but, he thought that once his best friend and he got together the younger would become clinger to him, maybe even show affection. Unsurprisingly, he was wrong. Jungkook remained at an arm’s length from him, maybe not physically but mentally. Jungkook tried to accommodate Taehyung, he really did. He would hold the other’s hand if that was what he wanted, he would let the older wrap his arms around him if Taehyung wanted the younger close, but he still remained distant. He never initiated the hand holding, never leaned into his boyfriend’s touch, still liked to do things on his own more than with Taehyung, but Taehyung could have backed off, could have been happy if the skin ship was what the problem was. That just wasn’t the case unfortunately, it wasn’t the distance between them in those small things, it was the distance in his eyes. They never burned with a fire for Taehyung, and Taehyung wouldn’t have really noticed, (or could have ignored it), until Hoseok arrived.

Taehyung broke up with Jungkook a few weeks after Hoseok arrived and joined their friend group. Taehyung won’t say that Hoseok is the reason that they broke up, but he won’t deny it either. Something changed in Jungkook, a fire lit in his eyes when the transfer student was around and even though every fiber in Taehyung wanted to be selfish and hold on to his best friend turned lover, he knew that Jungkook would never leave him of his own will. Even if he wanted to be with Hoseok, Jungkook would stay with Taehyung, he was just too nice to hurt the other like that. He was too considerate of everyone’s feelings but his own.

Besides, how could he blame Jungkook falling for Hoseok? The guy was amazing and even though he wanted to hate the double major student, he quickly fell into his charms and a comfortable friendship with him. He even remembers the night that Hoseok asked Taehyung for permission to like Jungkook. Not even to date but to like the younger. How was he supposed to say no to that? How could he even think about hating somebody like that?

“I know hyung, but,” Jungkook started before he dropped his hands to his lap and stared at them, “I just am really sorry that I couldn’t be what you wanted.”

Taehyung shrugged again and looked down at the table fighting the urge to say something he would surely regret (You’ll always be what I wanted, it’s not your fault that I could never be what you wanted.) before looking back at the younger, “It’s fine Jungkook. That’s not your fault, I promise. Besides, Hoseok hyung likes that stuff about you. He doesn’t care that you don’t hug back, or how you don’t initiate skinship or pet names that couples over use, you know stuff like that. And I think that you’re incredibly lucky Kookie, that you have somebody that likes you for you.”

“Yeah,” Jimin butts in, trying to lighten the mood, “And he’s so busy that he doesn’t mind that you like to do things on your own a lot. I think that’s pretty lucky Jungkook.”

Jungkook nods and the three laugh, but Jungkook doesn’t say anything. He doesn’t mention the hugs that he does return or the fact that Hoseok calls him every term of endearment that he can think of and Jungkook doesn’t protest them, actually likes them. And he definitely doesn’t mention the kisses that he loves to drop on the corner of his boyfriend’s mouth every time they’re alone.

Taehyung smiles softly at the younger, he means his words, about the youngest being lucky. But he doesn’t mention the fact that he’s heard Jungkook call Hoseok ‘baby’, or that Jungkook leans into Hoseok’s side when he slides into the seat next to him, something he never did with him. He doesn’t mention that any free time either of them have, the two are always together, sometimes disappearing for several hours to spend time together. And he definitely doesn’t mention when the two walk away, that Jungkook reaches out-initiates- a tangling of the couple’s fingers.

None of them mention any of that. They don’t talk about the change that Hoseok has brought out in Jungkook. They don’t talk about the couple at all really, for the sake of the two in the relationship, both preferring to keep it private because of the attention on the other aspects of their lives, but also because of the two whose hearts are still mending from one sided love.

“I know, I know. I’m lucky.” Jungkook said ruffling his hair again, “That’s the problem. What if I mess this up?”

Jimin reaches across the table and pats the youngest’s hand, “Kook-ah, you can’t think like that. To me, the only way you could ever mess it up is if you cheated and we all know that you’d never ever do that. So calm down, okay?”

Jungkook squeezes his hyung’s hand before replying, “I know. But this is the first time that I’ve ever looked at somebody, and just realized, that wow. If he were to leave me, if I were to screw this up somehow, I don’t know if I would be okay. Don’t you ever feel like that hyung?”

Jimin nodded, “Of course, I mean I don’t know what I’d do without Yoongi hyung, I love him.” Jungkook and Taehyung both notice the fact that Jimin didn’t say in love with him, or the fact that he said it softly and with downturned eyes. Both choosing to stay quiet on the subject. They both know that he was in love with somebody before he came to college, apparently a childhood love, but Jungkook doesn’t know who and Taehyung won’t out somebody that is in the same situation as himself.

“Wait a second,” Jimin said, his eyes narrowing at the brown haired man, “Jeon Jungkook, do you love Hoseok?”

Jungkook smiled softly at the thought, he had long come to term with the fact that he was in love with the vibrant male. Hoseok was just too easy to love, from his positive loud energy to his comfortable quiet sides. He beams at his hyung, “Yeah, I am in love with him.”

Taehyung grins, genuinely happy for his best friend, and Jimin shouts a victory call. They were so happy that this young baby is finally finding happiness after dating so many people out of kindness, they were happy that he was doing this because he genuinely wanted to.

Jungkook laughs at his friends’ reaction and opens his mouth to say something but pauses to look up at the owner of the hand that ruffled his hair.

“Hobi hyung!”

Hoseok smiles brightly at his boyfriend, and then the rest of their friends. “Yah, what’s with all the noise over here?”

“Nothing hyung,” The trio choruses before breaking out into giggles. Hoseok pouted and crossed his arms over his chest, “Well fine. If you’re going to keep secrets then I’m leaving.”

He sticks his tongue out at them before stalking off. Jungkook chuckles at his boyfriend’s response, rising to follow the childish man, “I’ve got to go hyungs. This is the only day that Hobi’s got free so we’re going to go on a date. I’ll see you later.”

“Hey!” Jimin called as Jungkook took a step, “Don’t worry about those things okay? It’s just a perk of being in love.”

Jungkook hesitates but then beams and nods, “Later hyungs!”

Both waved and yelled byes as they watched the younger catch up to his boyfriend. They chuckled when they saw Hoseok push the younger away, but could only smile as Jungkook grabbed the other’s hand and pulled him close to his body, their fingers intertwining naturally.

“It gets easier Taehyungie,” Jimin said softly, his eyes trailing after the couple.

“How do you know Chim?” Taehyung asked, his eyes going from the fading couple to the younger beside him.

Jimin smiled sadly, “It did for me.”

And Taehyung wants to ask if it really does because the look in Jimin’s eyes say the opposite. But then again, maybe it does get easier. Taehyung supposes, easier doesn’t mean that the pain will fade, it just becomes easier to bear.


A/N: Hi!! I was actually never going to post this but it's my only completely finished story at the moment, so I am using it to announce that my unofficial and unannounced hiatus is FINISHED! School and work left me no time to write, but I AM OFFICIALLY BACK. With that being said, I have gotten your comments, and I greatly appreciate them! I try to reply to them when I can, I'm sorry if I've missed you. I have missed a bunch of BTS celebration oppurtunites, but I am working on making it up! I am almost done with the requests, and I am so immensely sorry that it has taken so long! I am taking more, you can refer to my last author's note in the last chapter to contact me, or just comment! I also have a surprise coming up soon. (:

That's it for now! Thank you for reading, talk to y'all soon!!

You're a brave soul.

           -DoubleX