Good enough

Collections of Junghope

WARNING! This fic contains mentions of self-harm and eating disorders. Do not read if triggered by these things!

Hoseok can't figure out the new student and what he wants from him.

3354 word count. A hint of angst, fluff.

Junghope Fighting!


“Hoseok-ah, are you not going to eat that?” Jin asked, eyeing the food that had been pushed around the plate more than consumed.

Hoseok glanced up at his hyung before shaking his head and standing up. “I’ve got to go, I just remembered that I need to go to the nurse station for my medicine.”

“Hobi hyung!” Jimin called out, his hand reaching for the older’s wrist only to be too late. His friends watched with worried eyes as the male slipped out of the canteen.

*

Hoseok loved his contemporary piece. It was raw and it was emotion filled. Even now as he dropped to his knees, the dance and song over, his breathing heavy and his ankle throbbed from pain, he still loved his contemporary piece.

“Silly Hoseok,” He muttered. Tears pooled in his eyes and blood began to wet the sleeves of his navy hoodie. His cuts opened again and he was sure his ankle was swollen even worse now, but it was worth it. It was what Hoseok needed. He needed that piece even if nobody will ever see it. Even if he’ll never let it live outside of these four wall, it was fine as long as it was his here.

He heard the intake of breath from the doorway and froze. He tucked his arm close to his body and turned toward the new person as he willed his tears away, cursing himself slightly for leaving his hat on the couch tucked in the corner.

There was a younger male standing in the doorway, with innocent eyes and a mouth wide open. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to watch,” the boy stuttered out allowing Hoseok a chance to stand, “, okay I did mean to watch, you’re” and he paused before looking up from his feet and seeing Hoseok face to face, “beautiful,” he breathed.

Hoseok’s brows furrowed and the boy threw his hands up, “I mean that was beautiful,” He gestured around the room and toward Hoseok before dropping his arm and whispering, “, you are gorgeous.”

Hoseok opened his mouth and asked confusedly, “I, um, what?”

“Alright,” Jungkook replied after he saw the confusion on the other’s face, he cleared his throat awkwardly, “I’m going to stop putting my foot in my mouth now. I’m Jeon Jungkook, I’m a transfer sophomore.”

Hoseok paused before tentatively replying, “Um, okay. I’m Jung Hoseok. A fourth year.”

Jungkook opened his mouth to say something back but a soft feminine voice called after him and he turned to show a petite woman in the doorway.

“Here you are Kook-ah,” the voice said lightly.

“Oh, sorry for wandering noona, I got curious,” Jungkook replied with a small smile, “I met a sunbae too!”

Jungkook motioned to Hoseok but was interrupted when Taeyeon greeted the younger, “J-hope-ah!”

Hoseok smiled and softly greeted her back, “Hi Taeyeon noona.”

Hoseok figured that this must be the famous stepbrother of Taeyeon that everybody was talking about. The one who was a vocal major, but double minored in dance and musical composition. Most of the students were talking about how he was a golden child, good at everything, and handsome too. Hoseok snorted internally because those rumors do have some truth to them, the younger was a quite nice to look at.

“J-Hope?” Jungkook questioned, his sister giggled at that before answering, “It’s his stage name, he’s quite popular. You should see him perform, he’s incredible.”

Hoseok blushed and started to protest before Taeyeon pointedly ignored him and started talking again, “He does a lot of different types of dancing, but his focus point is hip hop so that’s what we see a lot of from him. You’ll have to see it one day for yourself Kook.”

Hoseok tensed at those words, he knew that the younger had just watched him dance, he had even seen him dance contemporary, and if he said anything Hoseok would be ed. His panic must have been on his face, or in his eyes because Jungkook hummed and gave the dancer a one over.

“I wonder if I could ever see sunbae do contemporary,” Jungkook said curiously after a beat of silence, causing Taeyeon to snort.

“You and your love for contemporary,” She teased before her nose scrunched up in thought, “I don’t think anybody has actually seen contemporary from Hoseok,” she paused, “if you do, tell noona okay? Noona wants to see that.”

They all laugh and Hoseok says that maybe one day she could see it, and he ignored the look from the younger male before Taeyeon was talking again.

“What are you doing here anyways? You’re not dancing are you?” Taeyeon asked with a teasing look on her face, but Hoseok knew that there was a seriousness behind the question.

Hoseok wanted to avoid this because Taeyeon is the TA for the vocal department and is close to the other vocal TA Donghae who is dating the TA for the dance department and if Eunhyuk found out that Hoseok was dancing with his high ankle sprain, he’ll be screwed. Hoseok opened his mouth to defend himself but Jungkook beat him to it.

“I just saw him sitting there, he wasn’t even wearing shoes noona. That’s why I poked my head in, it was a strange sight.”

Taeyeon eyed both of them, her eyes lingering a little longer on Hoseok’s bare feet, a brace around his left ankle.

“Noona, I was just visualizing choreography, competitions coming up soon.” Hoseok added after he saw the suspicious look in her eyes, before asking, “Beside what are you doing here? Aren’t you supposed to be resting your voice?”

Taeyeon made a face before laughing and Hoseok sagged his shoulders in relief, “Ah yes. I’m listening well, I was just coaching Jungkook up some. Don’t worry about me Hope-ah, I don’t want to cross Jaejoong, you know how he can get.”

Hoseok laughed, both sharing a look because they knew how the teacher was a little crazy sometimes. Taeyeon glanced at her watch and dropped a curse word, “I’ve got to go, I have class in five minutes. You going to be okay here Kook?”

Jungkook nodded and they all exchanged goodbyes before the vocalist darted out the door.

“So why’d you lie for me?” Hoseok asked, settling on the floor to adjust the strings on his brace.

Jungkook smiled and Hoseok couldn’t help but notice the glint that was in his eyes, something that he couldn’t quite place yet, “I’ll let you know one day hyung.”

Hoseok narrowed his eyes at the younger and then sighed, “Fine, but thank you. I’m not supposed to be dancing, let alone contemporary so if we could just keep this our little secret, I’d appreciate it.”

Jungkook moved toward the door and leaned against it, “I don’t know, I think there should be a fee for all this hiding.”

Hoseok rolled his eyes, “What do you want?”

Jungkook pretended to think before he pushed off of the wall, “You.”

Before Hoseok could respond the male was out the door and down the hallway. Hoseok shook his head, “Poor kid,” He muttered, “Don’t you know that I’m not worth anything?”

*

“Hobi hyung!’ Jimin called weaving through the crowd, “Wait up!”

Hoseok stopped and turned back towards the younger student making his way towards him.

“Hyung,” Jimin said as he finally reached the older male, “Do you want to go for dinner?”

Hoseok wanted to say no, wanted to go home, wanted to make this feeling go away but instead he murmured a soft okay and smiled as Jimin beamed and latched onto Hoseok’s arm, guiding him through the main gate of their campus. “C’mon hyung, let’s go to that little diner on the corner.”

Hoseok hummed in approval, letting himself be tugged in and out of fellow students along the sidewalk.

“Hyung,” Jimin said softly, his eyes remaining forward, “The nurse said you didn’t visit the past few days.”

Hoseok sighed, he knew that Jimin was worried, “Don’t worry so much about hyung, okay Jiminnie? I ran into a new student and I’ve been busy helping him adjust, so hyung just forgot. Don’t let crazy thoughts go through that pretty little head of yours, yeah?”

Jimin turned his head slightly and eyed the older with a slight pink on his cheeks from his hyung’s compliment, but Hoseok just smiled at him and shrugged.

“Hoseokkie Hyung!” A voice called as soon as the duo was through the door of the diner.

“Jungkook?” Hoseok startled at the new student they were just talking about, before he added, “Yah, when did I say it was okay for you to call me hyung?”

Jungkook laughed before he slid next to the older and whispered, “You know when, hyung.”

Hoseok rolled his eyes and Jungkook shot him a wink. Jungkook then turned toward the other male attached to Hoseok and smiled, “I’m Jeon Jungkook. I’m a transfer sophomore.”

“Is that how you introduce yourself to everyone Jungkook?” Hoseok asked, his head tilted and his lips slightly curled, he was used to the small introduction from the younger as he had spent the past few days showing Jungkook around.

Jungkook shrugged, “Well if I do it like that then everybody will piece together that, yes, I am Kim Taeyeon’s little brother, and yes I am in fact the supposed golden child. But it’s a lot less conceited that way.”

Hoseok laughed and playfully punched the younger’s arm, “Whatever you say Jungkookie.”

Jungkook looked pleased at the new nickname, and even more pleased when he saw the other male standing there and watching the interaction, his hand tightened slightly on Hoseok’s arm.

Jungkook then reached out and offered his hand, “And you are?”

Jimin quickly changed his expression into one of friendliness unlike the slight scowl he had earlier, “I’m Jimin, a third year.”

Jungkook smiled and squeezed his hand, “It’s a pleasure to meet you, sunbae.” Jimin recognized the slight glint in Jungkook’s eyes and squeezed his hand back.  Jimin nodded in reply but kept his mouth closed in a tight smile.

“Hoseokkie hyung,” Jungkook said as he turned his attention to the male oblivious to the tension in the air, “I’ll see you later, okay? Taeyeon noona is waiting on me.”

Hoseok smiled and reached up to ruffle the younger’s hair before he could even think about it, “Okay, I’ll see you later Jungkookie.”

Jungkook smiled one last time before heading toward a booth in the corner where his sister and a friend were sitting. Jimin and Hoseok both waved at the pair before they found their own table on the other side.

“So, you really did meet a new student?” Jimin asked as they slid into their seats, “And you’re pretty close I see.”

Hoseok laughed, “He’s a cute kid. Can be a rude little every now and then, but he means well.”

Hoseok didn’t notice that his voice was filled with fondness, but Jimin did. Jimin also recognized the spark that lit the other’s eyes and it burned Jimin inside.

“Be careful around him, hyung” Jimin said lowly, he knew that he was just jealous but he couldn’t stop the words as they tumbled from his mouth. Hoseok completely unaware to Jimin’s jealousy rolled his eyes and replied, “Yah, Jimin, Jungkook’s a good kid. You two would probably be good friends.”

“He’s not perfect hyung, that’s all I’m saying,” Jimin added as he ignored Hoseok’s words, jealousy rising in his throat as he caught Hoseok glancing at the other table.

Hoseok looked at the younger across from him and then looked at Jungkook who happened to turn his head at the same time. He sighed when the male shot him a wink before he turned back to his sister.

“Okay, Jimin.”

Hoseok didn’t think that Jungkook was perfect, but Hoseok also thought that the younger was pretty damn close.

*

Jeon Jungkookie

Hoseokkie~

8:45 p.m.
 

Hoseokkie~

 I’m sorry, last time I checked you weren’t my hyung?

8:50 p.m.

Jeon Jungkookie

you can call me hyung if you want to (;

8:51 p.m.

Hoseokkie~

What do you want Jungkook?

8:52 p.m.

Jeon Jungkookie

awe hobi why do you think I want something

8:53 p.m.

Hoseokkie~

Taeyeon noona texted me earlier and said that she was sorry

8:54 p.m.

Jeon Jungkookie

okay and?

8:55 p.m.

Hoseokkie~

Well now it’s not hard to figure out what she’s sorry for? She said you seemed pretty determined today too (;

8:56 p.m.

Jeon Jungkookie

hyung :((

8:56 p.m.

Hoseokkie~

Alright Jungkook, what do you want?

8:57 p.m.

Jeon Jungkookie

Jung Hoseok

8:57 p.m.

Hoseokkie~

What Jungkook?

8:58 p.m.

Jeon Jungkookie

no, that's what I want.

8:58 p.m.

Jeon Jungkookie

 though I don’t think your boyfriend would like that.

8:58 p.m.

Hoseokkie~

Boyfriend?

8:59 p.m.

Jeon Jungkookie

that Jimin kid

8:59 p.m.

Hoseokkie~

It’s hyung to you, and he’s not my boyfriend.

9:00 p.m.

Jeon Jungkookie

even better. get ready we’re going on a date, I’m coming to get you.

9:01 p.m.

Hoseokkie~

Jungkook. No. 1. You don’t even know where I live. And  2. It’s 9 at night.

9:01 p.m.

Jeon Jungkookie

you got a minute hyung

9:05 p.m.

Hoseokkie~

Yah, did you just ignore what I said?

9:06 p.m.

Jeon Jungkookie

30 seconds

9:06 p.m.

Hoseok sighed before looking around, he didn’t have a roommate because the other kid dropped out, so he was sitting there in a big tank top, gym shorts, and a pair of socks. Not wanting to take any chances, he threw on a sweatshirt and tennis shoes. Just as he finished tying his shoe, there was a knock on the door.

“Hi hyung,” Jungkook chirped from the doorway, “Let’s go.”

Even though Hoseok had gotten ready, his mouth dropped open in shock, “Alight,” He said snapping out of his surprise, “How the hell did you find out where I lived?”

Jungkook just smirked and wrapped his hand around the other’s wrist as he pulled him out of the small dorm room barely allowing Hoseok to shut the door behind him, “We’re going to get ice cream hyung.”

Hoseok grimaced, though he loved ice cream he really didn’t need to be eating any, “Jungkook,” Hoseok grumbled, “I don’t have my keys, phone, or wallet. I didn’t get to grab a hat and my shorts are old ones. I literally look like a mess. Do we have to do this now?”

Jungkook laughed, “I told you to be ready hyung, that’s not my fault.” He slowed up after the other huffed in annoyance, “Besides, I think you look beautiful.”

Hoseok snorted, “Jungkook, we haven’t even known each other that long. Why are you trying so hard?”

Jungkook tilted his head, “What do you mean why am I trying so hard? I’m not trying hard at anything hyung.”

Hoseok looked at Jungkook, “You keep saying nice things. Why?”

Jungkook tilted his head, “Hyung, I think you’re kind of a sometimes.”

Hoseok’s face scrunched up, “What the Jungkook?”

Jungkook shrugged, “Hyung, I say what I want. I usually just say what I think is true. There is no filter for nice comments and mean comments. I’d have thought that you would have figured that out by now.”

Hoseok opened his mouth to reply, before he closed it again. Jungkook did have a point, the younger always said things that made it seem as though he didn’t think before he spoke. Often not understanding why someone got so offended or something at his words. But still. Hoseok just sighed and allowed himself to be dragged inside of the small ice cream parlor.

Jungkook grabbed onto Hoseok’s hand as they stepped outside with their small vanilla cones, and interlocked their fingers. Hoseok side eyed the younger but made no attempt at moving his hand away. Jungkook happily swung their hands back and forth, giving his ice cream little kitten like .

“Hyung,” Jungkook said breaking their silence, “You really are beautiful.”

Hoseok chuckled, “Sure Jungkook.”

Jungkook stopped them both and threw the remaining part of his ice cream cone away in a trash can close to him and then he gently tugged Hoseok’s nearly untouched melting cone from his hand and threw it away as well.

“Jungkook!” Hoseok startled, “What did you do that for?”

Jungkook ignored Hoseok’s protest before he pulled his hand up to his mouth and softly kissed his fingers. Gently, he tugged Hoseok’s sleeve down to his elbow.

“Stop,” Hoseok hissed, he tugged his arm, trying to free it from the younger’s grasp only for Jungkook to tighten his hold.

“Hoseok.” Jungkook said lowly, the seriousness in his tone stopping Hoseok’s protest. “I threw your ice cream cone away because I knew you weren’t going to eat it.”

Hoseok looked down, ashamed. “I,” was the only word he could get out before Jungkook was talking again.

“I also know that you have these little cuts across your wrists.” Jungkook added, dropping soft kisses on each one, “And I also know that that doesn’t change the fact that you’re beautiful.”

Hoseok looked up confused, “How could you possibly think that I am beautiful?”

“Because hyung, I have these things called eyes. And they know when they see something beautiful.” Jungkook retorted, smiling when Hoseok let out a little chuckle, though it was watery. “How did you know?”

Jungkook looked at him before sighing, “When you were dancing, the cuts opened and blood seeped through your sleeve. You didn’t notice it until you finished but it happened somewhere in the middle. Also, you’re fragile looking. When I mentioned this to Noona she said that you’ve gotten a lot smaller the past few months. Then when I saw you at the diner and how little you ate, and when we’ve being getting lunch together, you push your food more than you put in your mouth. I kind of just put it altogether.”

Jungkook didn’t mention how he noticed how Hoseok always dodged his friends when they asked for Hoseok to go and grab something to eat, especially Jimin because even Jungkook knows it’s hard to say no to the other and Jungkook doesn’t want to bring the shorter up because he doesn’t like how Jimin looks at his Hoseok hyung.

“And you always wear some type of long sleeve shirt, or sweater, which would be normal except you even wear it to dance practices and we all know it’s hot as hell in there.”

Hoseok chuckled again, “You don’t want to ask why?”

Jungkook smiled and wiped the small tear sliding down the older’s face, “I don’t want to know why. What I do know is that for some reason you either don’t think you’re good enough, or you feel as though you are alone in this world. And I hate that. I don’t want you to feel like that.”

Hoseok’s eyebrows furrowed, “So what do you want Jungkook? Do you want to try and fix me? Is that it? Because I’m not a toy, you can’t just fix me.”

Jungkook tugged him closer, “I don’t want to fix you Hoseok. I can’t fix you, only you can do that. But I do want to love you so much that you will learn to love yourself.”

Hoseok stood there trying to collect his thoughts as Jungkook raised their hands up and dropped another kiss on the back of Hoseok’s hand.

“Not now,” He mumbled against his hand, “But eventually. I have my own demons to fight so it’ll be a love that burns slowly between us, something that will only get brighter as time goes on.”

Hoseok then noticed the faint lines on the other’s wrist, some jagged, some smooth, almost a mirror of his own. Except these were older than Hoseok’s, these have had enough time to heal properly, much like the boy in front of him. His mouth dropped open slightly and for some reason he felt as though he wasn’t quite alone as he thought he was.

“It’s okay to feel broken Hoseokkie. Just don’t feel like you’re not good enough, or that you’re alone in this big bad world. Because you are wonderful just the way you are and I want to be by your side because goddammit I look at you and I see everything that is right in this world.”

Hoseok smiled and leaned in placing a small peck on the corner of Jungkook’s lips, he can’t quite believe that he is everything that Jungkook says he is, but he definitely thinks Jungkook could change his mind one day.


A/N: hiiiiiiii! I actually really wanted to do a long fic for this with lots of character development and a good plot but I am rather lazy so I just did a vague condensed one. I hope that you all liked it, Junghope is seriously killing me I love them so much omg. Double biasing is hard and I am not okay. Enough with my rambling, have a good day everyoneeee! :)

You're a brave soul.

-Double X