Episode 9: Caged

BLACK ORCHID (Taehyung & OC)
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

 

Hyejin gently brushed Miran’s lose, black hair while Eunha put some last touches to the young lady’s attire. The one which she was wrapped in with such carefulness after taking in the portion of beverage prepared according to the physician’s guidelines.

 

The bitter taste of the medicament did not bother her, though her cringed expression said otherwise. Instead of minding it, Miran’s mind was focused on how much her whole being deserved to be submerged in that taste.

 

The bitterness of my actions. She mulled over her situation.

 

Dressed exceptionally warm today, Lady Oh carefully eyed both of her maids setting the table in font of her. It’s been only few hours since sunrise and she could still hear crowing roosters from the poultry unit adjoining to the backyard kitchen. The sunbeams coming into her chamber – temptingly bright while radiating that feeling of being eminently warm today, seemed to be calling, inviting her outside.

 

Do caged people always feel such intense yearning for what they can’t have? She wondered while puffing her lower lip at a loss.

 

Last time she was sick, Miran was still just a kid. She didn’t remember thoughts of being trapped inside the walls of her own home back then. Mainly because her older brother kept her company at those rough times. Kept her entertained and cared for the quick recovery.

 

The sun is there. She though while longingly staring at the window. It’ll be there tomorrow as well.

 

Miran stared at her whitening knuckles. With both hands wrapped together on top of her thighs. She was kneeling and waiting in anticipation.

 

Given an early notice from the eldest maid of the Oh’s household – which occurred even before breakfast was served to her. After taking few more, deep breaths in, Miran was ready to welcome minister Oh in her quarters.

 

He’s to check on me again? Are the reassuring words of my well-being given by maids not reliable enough? She thought with lips pursued tightly.

 

Oh, Yes. Did you forget already Miran-ah?

 

Right now you’re worth more to him than all the piles of gold, land, or the number or servants he managed to gather through his whole life. She told herself.

 

With that sinking deep into her mind, she wasn’t even surprised when he barged in with his most entrusted eunuch Yo following right behind and the throwing intimidating gazes left & right guard Moonshik.

 

In the middle of her eating breakfast. After finally fighting over the disgust she felt towards food. All that being caused by the nervousness gulping onto . These men did not bother to even respect the time she had to somehow strengthen this body of hers with a proper meal.

 

The two men greeted the minister’s daughter with slight bows. Instead of doing similar, their master fixed his merciless, cold gaze on his child.

 

Miran felt grow dry at the spot. Though she tried not to give in to this void of terror spread by the man she called father – instantly the blood in her body drained off from her face. Leaving her way more paler than she originally was.

 

“Father.” Miran greeter him politely and went back to her knees from the comfortable sitting position she had beside the table.

 

“Daughter?” Minister Oh eyed her carefully and by assessing just the shade of her almost transparent white complexion – he let out a groan of dissatisfaction. The two of her side maids were next to earn themselves tantrum glares shot from underneath his painted with only few silver hair pitch black eyebrows.

 

Crushed under the burden of his judgmental and disgruntled eyes. Abashed, both girls couldn’t find themselves safe spot to look on and just stared blankly at the wooden floor in front of their bent knees.

 

“These people had been assuring eunuch Yo that your health has improved.” Minister Oh continued by pointing at Miran’s maids. “I’ve came here quite hopeful.” he stated and grimaced. Disappointment caressed his exposed forehead with wrinkles.

 

Miran felt the outburst of panic quickening her heartbeat, but at the same time didn’t want to waver in front of him. With her back straightened and head brought high enough to face him properly she focused on her breathing. Tried to even it so she wouldn’t seem even weaker in his eyes when it’ll be her turn to speak.

 

She didn’t want him to put all the blame for what happened on her maids. Everything was her fault only, but how could she admit that to him?

 

While he dispraised them with harsh words and vicious gazes. There she sat. Right in between. Torn by the blame carried by her shoulders. Not only of how recklessly she acted and got sick but mainly of how she was too scared to speak up to him to defend the girls in this moment.

 

To the point of feeling physical pain in her chest, Miran had enough of it. She clamped her fists tightly.

 

“At least I can see you wearing yourself warmly.” He gauged after a while of measuring her figure from head to toes. “Eunuch Yo brought more furs and blankets to fill your room.” minister added and after his words the man who followed after him left for a brief moment only to come back with piles of various materials.

 

All that to keep her warm, safe, healthy… or rather? Well preserved? Miran thought with the image of the prince and their future marriage paining in her mind.

 

“I had plans for a festive supper tonight. To celebrate the engagement!” he continued “Just one look at your face is enough to see that you’re not well.” Minister Oh stated sharply. “That displeases me greatly, Miran-sh.”

 

Miran’s eyebrows shifted up in bewilderment. Ever since hitting puberty she was stuck in a span of bringing delight to her father and those he aspired to beguile.

 

“Maybe you weren’t looking at my face carefully enough before, Father.” she snapped. The tone of her voice sounding brittle, as if the sudden high tide like wave of confidence she was swallowed by shrunk dry low a second after. Leaving her like a little, flinging fish out of water. Desperately trying to take a breath in before dying in the blasting sun the rage of her father could be.

 

That caused her to look away from his face. A mixture of displease and surprise painting on her father’s features.

 

Miran heard the fabric of his clothing rustle as he stepped closer. Close enough she could feel the smell of watered down, herbal essential oil covering his neck and insides

Please log in to read the full chapter