Episode 6: Weakness

BLACK ORCHID (Taehyung & OC)
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

Pain of her muscles and joints was the first thing she felt and left her even before she thought of opening her eyes.

 

Miran took a deep breath in, which sounded more like a stifled shriek. She then tried opening her eyes, but blinded by the sunbeams coming from the window, ended up rubbing her eyelids helplessly.

 

After that, she tried peeking around. It took her some time, before came the moment of realization that her surroundings have certainly changed compared to how she remembered her cabin looked like.

 

Feeling too stiff and still unable to move her neck freely, Miran followed around the ceiling with her brown eyes.

 

“Lady Miran?” she flinched at the voice and it took her another moment to recognize it was her maid, Hyejin sitting on the wooden floor right by her side.

 

“Uhmm? What happened?” Miran touched her temples with a struggle and tried rolling onto the left side of her body. The last thing she remembered from the previous evening was how she came out of the hot spring already with difficulty.

 

Not answering her lady’s question right away - “Eunha, go get the elder.” Miran heard Hyejin’s firm voice, then the sound footsteps and someone shutting the door after leaving in a hurry.

 

“You got sick, my lady. Everything started with a fever. How come you didn’t tell us sooner that you started feeling unwell?” Hyejin asked pouty and at the same time poured Miran a cup of hot brew with a strong, herbal smell.

 

Looking back at the previous evening, Miran never imagined that how she marched to the shrine in drenched shoes and clothes could damage her health in such way. At that moment she didn’t even feel the cold, that’s how much she was heated from the embarrassment. Only later, she noticed how the strength she had over her limbs and movements lessened with each hour. Later – it was too late.

 

Why didn’t I react sooner? Miran asked herself, aware how wrong was her way of thinking that – a hot bath and resting could probably help her get rid of a slowly sprouting sickness.

 

Remembering how her mind was constantly occupied with the memories of what happened on the way to the shrine and the guard named V, who got to witness her humiliation – I stopped thinking and acting rational in front of him. What was I even trying to prove with my behavior? Miran sighed.

 

Seeing how Miran tried to sat up on the mate, Hyejin helped her quickly. “Don’t strain yourself, my lady.” the maid added with worry. Miran patted the maid’s hand reassuringly.

 

“I’m better already… and yes it was foolish of me, thinking that nothing serious would come out of that fever I had.” Miran said apologetically and looked around the chamber in confusion.

 

“Hyejin-ah, how come we ended up in here?” she asked trying to remember what exactly happened, but her vision of the previous evening was still quite blurry.

 

“We’re at one of the monks’ quarters, my lady. The head monk also turned out to be a skilled physician with years of experience. He helped with treating your sickness, my lady. He performed acupuncture, told us what to do and watched over you till your state stabilized enough. Before leaving, he ordered to inform him right after you wake up. Eunha should be back with him any minute.” Hyejin impressively replied all this at one breath.

 

Miran was impressed with her maids’ thoughtful acting in such stressful circumstances. She bit onto her lower lip knowing that she herself caused it upon them with her own, reckless behavior. “So you called for monks’ help… after losing touch with me? You did well – thank you.” Miran replied pouty and grasped her long braid.

 

Usually while being ashamed, apologetic, or simply confused – Miran used to squish the braid in her palms and sometimes twirl its end around her fingers.

 

“Uhmm, partially yes.” Hyejin said after a moment of awkward silence, which left Miran feeling alarmed by such answer.

 

She looked at the maid with furrowed eyebrows.

 

“What are you not telling me?” Miran pulled knees under her chin, suddenly feeling nervous about what she was about to hear from the girl in front of her.

 

“The prince’s flower knights helped greatly, my lady. As the eldest monk is not at age to be running freely, it simply took too much time to wait for him at our cabin – Master Hoseok, Jimin and… Bui~(V) made sure to get you in front of him fast and safely.” Hyejin tried to smile at the end of her words, but grimaced alarmed after seeing Miran’s dumbstruck expression.

 

Not knowing how to react “Master V couldn’t take all the wait any longer and took the lead. I’m still thankful that he kept a sane look at the whole situation while I kept bawling my eyes out.” Hyejin added and “… I’m sorry if I failed you, my lady.” she then bowed to the ground in front of Miran who couldn’t say anything in response to such ‘news’.

 

Hyejin cried out unable to take the feeling of guilt any longer “This is the second time already. I’m ready to take responsibility for my stupidity, and lack of sense a faithful maid should have.”

 

Miran touched Hyejin’s shoulder “Calm down...” she replied softly but at the same time felt how the pounding inside her chest kept getting stronger with each heartbeat.

 

She felt blood rushing to her face and the warmth climbing from her heart up till it reached her cheeks and ears. She was left breathing shakily.

 

I acted like a spoiled, stubborn girl trying to reject his help, then humiliated myself by falling into the stream and still ignored him. Then ended sick and had him watch all of that? Oh Dear? Miran rubbed her temples in despair.

 

After all he was there again to help me? She sighed disappointed with herself.

 

What kind of a failure am I? She internally cried and felt like bundling up into the blankets again, thinking she shouldn’t face him ever again. Being aware that only V’s good will – stopped him from telling everything she tried to hide since they met to the prince, or other guards – left her cringing internally.

 

Hyejin glanced at her lady with a blank expression and after biting her lip “I just thought… the fact that you called him by his name after regaining consciousness for a moment...” she added and continued kneeling in front of Miran.

 

“His acting towards you was so sincere, my lady. He’s your fiance’s sworn guard and yours to be in the future – I couldn’t just simply stop him.” Hyejin stated, positive about being right with her actions.

 

After hearing that, Miran looked at Hyejin already given up. What else have I done? She wondered and lied back on the mat, feeling strength leaving her body again.

 

“What exactly have I said to him?” Miran asked after a while, as everything she tried to remember since she started being feverish seemed foggy and mostly like a dream.

 

“You just recognized and called him by his name – my lady.” Hyejin assured Miran “Right after he scolded me for being so slow.” she added pouty.

 

“How did he even know about my health worsening?” Miran asked again with hands put to her chest. Somehow her heartbeat couldn’t calm itself. What does it mean? She wondered. What makes my heart go crazy right now?

 

It must be because of the even bigger embarrassment I’ve put myself into… she tried to assure herself and few times lightly hit her own chest with a fist – thinking it would help her to get rid off the frustration she felt.

 

“Eunha said, they probably must’ve seen her running out of our cabin to get the monks’ help.” Hyejin said. “As she was in a hurry, she left the main door open, minutes later – alarmed lords – V and Jimin came in.”

 

Alarmed? Miran repeated in her mind. Observant, aren’t they? She thought. Well, what less could I expect from the best men chosen to protect the future inheritor of the royal throne?

 

Realization of who they served came to Miran again. While not being able to freely talk with the prince yet, Miran slowly forgot that he was the one she was supposed to tighten relations with during next two weeks.

 

Did he order them to have an eye on me? She thought about the cold as ice prince.

 

Or was it his idea? Miran grimaced in confusion while thinking about V.

 

At that moment Eunha came back with the bald, elder man. The monk greeted the girls with a slight bow after Miran sat up straight and returned it while saying “I… I would like to thank you for your help and treatment.”

 

The monk smiled after hearing her stuttering at first and seeing how she wanted to get up from the mate and thank him properly. “Do not get up – lady Miran. I’m sure your body still feels sore so please, don’t strain yourself.” he stopped her halfway.

 

As told, Miran sat back after nodding. Even though the old man was slow at walking, he sat near her and crossed his legs without much difficulty.

 

Miran smiled back at his filled with warmth expression.

 

“And speaking of treating you, it is my duty to help those in need.” the monk added and Miran gave him her hand when he gestured for it.

 

He put fingers to her wrist and with closed eyes listened to her heartbeat for a while.

 

Unable to stay focused on staying calm, seconds of silence left Miran’s mind wandering of to the information Hyejin just gave her. Those about how familiar she spoke to the V guard.

 

The guard who shown way too much interest in her, what she was doing or even thinking. Thinking about that didn’t give her a chance of calming her heartbeat completely.

 

It wasn’t like she could simply forget and not think about what kind of thoughts he had about her as well… I… I just don’t want to be a laughing stock for him and his buddies, after he randomly decides to tell them all my secrets. She thought frustrated again.

 

Miran focused on the old man’s fingers wrapped around her wrist. Men… She thought. I was good at speaking with them before.

 

Images of her childhood and early teenage years appeared in front of her eyes again. She remembered the fun she had together with her brother and their friends while playing in the woods. Pretending to be knights with wooden sticks attached to their sides and fighting over who will be the one to rule over the woods till someone challenged him or her again.

 

Memories of how their childish games got cut off one day and they had to accept the roles, parents had assigned to them left Miran sighing sourly.

 

Her bother had to leave the family house and join the army. Enter the path of a future general, just as Minister Oh had dreamt of. Remembering her brother’s soft, youthful features and filled with baby fat cheeks, left Miran’s heart aching at a thought of him changing into a soldier. The one who will make his father proud.

 

Imagining his

Please log in to read the full chapter