Episode 10: Shame

BLACK ORCHID (Taehyung & OC)
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

 

Minister Oh decided to celebrate not only with the prince and his royal companions, but also with those of more or less noble families from the region. The main hall of minister’s estate was too small to fit in all those people, their servants, guards and side maids of wealthier ladies.

 

Given that, it was the yard of household Oh which got adapted for the festivity. Benches covered with soft furs and pillows were set up around the wooden platform in the middle of it.

 

The platform – usually used as a helping tool for all type of chores. Those related to food making, like pickling of cucumbers, kimchi or other later come in handy side dishes. Or those activities involved with keeping the estate neat and well maintained. Today, this heart of the house got transformed into a stage. Resounding with blissful notes, as hired by eunuch Yo musicians and a behaving in a very narcissistic manner bard, already settled themselves on it.

 

Lead ahead by the eunuch, while listening to his story of how challenging it was to organize such even with such a small amount of time Minister Oh gave him – Miran followed after Yo in silence.

 

After what happened in the morning, Miran had no intention of joining this another act of the circus like seeming play her father desired to set up for the prince. If this was the harlequin story which sometimes her maids have been telling her about after overhearing at the market – Miran wasn’t so sure if her would be the role of a heroine who falls in love and lives happily ever after with the man of her dreams. While looking at the situation, it rather seemed that both her father & the prince were meant for such an ending.

 

One look at the marvelous place her father’s minions managed to prepare for the celebration of engagement took her breath away for a moment. Dozens of dazzling lanterns in colors of white and red were already hung around while some servants still tried to light them all as fast as possible

 

Red streamers were connecting the roofs of surrounding buildings. All meeting in the middle, right above the wooden platform. Miran imbibed this view as with the streamers color being not so different from the painted by sunset sky, together they created this mesmerizing, scarlet ceiling above their heads.

 

Miran got no time to admire the view as eunuch Yo urged her to “Move these legs!” after she stopped out of the blue to feast her eyes.

 

At the bottom of the carved in stone stairs stood her father.

 

Minister Oh himself, dressed so opulently many could’ve mistaken him for someone of royal blood. A chill of disgust spread around Miran’s skin as she eyed him. Materials only of best quality were taken into his clothing. Black hair precisely combed into a bun at the top of his head, enhancing his sharp profile and eagle eyes. Only adding value to his commanding presence.

 

Surrounded by male representatives of the noble houses who willingly declared to take part in this farce like scheme her father script wrote for tonight. There he was, basking in their full of jealousy & admiration stares.

 

Focused on gathering her skirt up, just so she wouldn’t trip over it’s edges – Miran couldn’t recognize exactly who the minister was speaking with. Only after coming down the stairs and approaching the group after eunuch Yo announced her arrival, all of their eyes turned at her.

 

Soft music could be heard in the background. Spreading this idyllic mood among guests, the one being completely opposite to what she was about to encounter.

 

Unable to defy how much the view in front thrilled her, Miran stiffened at the spot. Except father, in front of her stood almost all of the men who ever tried to propose to her through him. The men alone or together with their own fathers or brothers, those of kind and those of more abrupt nature.

 

How did she recognize them?

 

Due to their pride & honor, unable to take the minister’s refusal after proposal attempts – they directed advances personally towards Miran. Cornering, stalking her wherever a chance was given.

 

Did they come to see me off into marriage? When through Miran’s mind as she bowed to the ground with gritted teeth. The amount of embarrassment in her chest was painfully hard to contain. Feeling exposed, in her carefully chosen for tonight’s attire – Miran felt blood rushing to her face under their burdening gazes. Like a lamb she was thrown to be devoured whole by these wolves’ eyes around her.

 

“My daughter.” she saw father’s hand being drawn at her and shivered at the sudden fondness in his voice.

 

Witnessing how their lady was treated by the minister in the morning and now seeing the past contenders for her hand, the two of Miran’s maids stood behind her in dismay. With their limbs stiffly fitting close to their bodies, afraid to even meet eyes with these men or the minister himself. The two girls kept on stealing glances at their lady’s expression, while internally admiring how unshaken and strong she seemed.

 

“Don’t let it get to your heads.” Miran firmly ordered them after minister Oh left them in her chamber in the morning. “And swear to me that you’re not going to tell anyone of what just happened!” She demanded and ever since, both couldn’t contain all the fear, anger and love for the young lady.

Balancing at the edge of crying out loud, not really sure how were they going to do this – the two promised each other to protect Miran from similar situations in the future at all cost.

 

But why was stepping upfront, or even simply moving so challenging right now? Useless, this is who we really are – the two maids thought.

 

Miran grasped her father’s hand gently. A sight so rare as his smile lured her closer to him. Right where he could bluntly show her off. In her cream beige dress with each white flower and single petal sewn on her skirt with captivating precision. A golden strip of material tied around her waist, making it seem petite, alluringly small. Her hair partially combed into a braid, embellished with a butterfly shaped hairpin at its top. With the rest falling lose onto her back and chest like black waterfalls.

 

Except her, only maids knew the purpose of such hairstyle after seeing reddened lines being left on skin around Miran’s neck. The outcome of minister’s sudden and violent reaction this morning.

 

Her father’s eyes screamed with content and … greed? Miran’s eyebrow twitched as he stared at her. A smirk of indescribable confidence curling up the sides of his lips. Miran found staring at him equal to falling into a bottomless pit of despair. Being by it, she felt the ground swaying under her feet.

 

If it wasn’t for the prince’s arrival being announced, she would’ve ended up swallowed by it to the last bone, hair and piece of clothing.

 

As if someone has just snapped their fingers, the whole attention of men around her was drawn away from Miran. A shaky sigh left her lungs as the relief in her chest overwhelmed her.

 

Feeling happy to see your fiance for the first time? Miran asked herself all balled up as she saw a glimpse of the prince & his guards approaching. Her expression painted with a mixture of solace found in this sight and bits of sudden … bashfulness?

 

But this was not the kind she felt previously towards the men gathered around her together with minister Oh. Rather, it felt similar to when she was with – that man. Miran thought embarrassed and somehow her eyes found him within the arriving group at once.

 

Five men dressed in royal colors, deep, crimson red, navy blue and black with gold ornaments sewn as detailed as possible on their sleeves, backs and around waists. From flowers and variously shaped leaves, birds such as sparrows or herons. With leathery wadded clothing on top of their shoulders. Making them have that prefect, triangularly shaped, slim figure a man of dreams should have. With such touches put to their looks, they distinctly stood out among the gathered crowd.

 

His was the black color. Clothing embroidered with two golden dragons flowing upwards from wrist to his shoulders. Caressing his broad chest and back with long, red tongues and sharp, green claws. Simple, black strip around his waist only added to the stunning picture. Giving his figure these perfect proportions.

 

Black hair, now properly brushed were put into a high ponytail with care. His forehead was invariably covered by long bangs. Though she had no intention to, her eyes found his without hesitancy.

 

In there she found the same unchanging warmth. The one he’s been welcoming her with for the past days.

 

Please log in to read the full chapter