⚘ II

Narcissus (Telepathetic II)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The voice in my head and I decided to meet tomorrow to figure out what was going on. God, it even sounds weird thinking about it. 

She said her name is Kwon Alice and she lives on the outskirts of Gangnam. She said she studies choreography at Korea National. It’s quite the detail if I made her up. I didn’t even know you could study choreography at Korea National. 

We chose an obscure little taxi restaurant to meet up at 2 am. “You’re kidding,” said Seungcheol when I told him. “That doesn’t even make sense. You’re telling me there is a girl in your head, and you’re going to meet her at two in the morning?” 

I nodded. Then I shook my head. “She’s not in my head. Like, I didn’t make her up. I think. We can hear each other's thoughts? Kind of?” I wasn’t doing a great job of hiding the fact that I wasn't super sure of this idea myself. 

“Joshua. Think about this. That really sounds fake. I’m not calling you a liar, but what you’re telling me is… it’s impossible!” 

I shouldn’t have told him. “I know, I know.” 

“I’m coming with you.” 

“You really don’t have to,” I told him. On the very likely chance that I was crazy and making all of this stuff up, I would like to reduce the audience to just me, if possible. 

“No, I do. Somebody has to go with you.”

“Her mom’s from New York. Let me take Vernon!” 

Seungcheol was not entirely happy with that suggestion, but he couldn’t say anything without sounding like he mistrusted Vernon. 

Which, really, he should. Mistrust him, I mean. 

“Okay. Fine. Go with Vernon.” 

All of this in a tiny bathroom with the fan on so no one could listen in. I had told him I had something really important to tell him.

We exited the bathroom and Jeonghan pointed us out only to say, “Look, the lovers are finally out.” 

I stole the hat off of Wonwoo’s head and threw it at Jeonghan’s face. 

***

Sungkyung would not believe me, no matter how many times I told her to trust me. Actually, no. I think she did believe me, and she wanted to use me to her advantage. 

“It’s impossible, how in the world would you have Joshua Hong in your head?” 

“I did some research. He and I were struck by lightning at the exact same time.” 

Sungkyung rolled her big brown eyes. “No way is it that simple.” 

“Well, otherwise we would have nothing in common. So we go from absolute jack to this very specific extremely rare occurrence. I say it’s the lightning.” 

“I don’t know, Alice. I don’t feel good about you going there alone to meet up somewhere so obscure.” 

I smirked. “If you want to come meet him, that’s fine.” 

She bit her lip. “Yeah, I mean, if you’re right, that’s great. But besides that… maybe the lightning just messed you up a little.” 

“Are you calling me crazy?” I asked. I hugged the owl pillow on my bed closer. The thought had crossed my mind, that I might be imagining the whole thing, but it felt different. As if the man I was talking to in my head knew things I didn’t about himself, which would make sense if it were the real Joshua. However, it could also be some random other person. It could be no one at all. My subconscious might be mixing and matching things from other people I know. 

“Alice, just put yourself in my shoes for a second. I come up to you and tell you that I can hear a celebrity’s thoughts. What would your first reaction be?” 

I stared at my crossed ankles, then brought my feet up onto the couch. “Yeah, I see your point. But I still have to try.” 

“I’m coming with you,” Sungkyung said. 

“Okay.” 

My friend stared at me for a while, and then jumped up to her feet. She offered me a hand to pull me up, but I just stared at her. 

“Your roots are coming in. Come on, let’s fix them up. You still have extra dye?” 

***

Vernon did not enjoy being dragged somewhere he did not know at two in the morning. “Why does it have to be here specifically?” His voice was muffled by the face mask he was wearing. He blended in with the dark streets with his all-black outfit. 

“Because it’s obscure.”

“Who are you meeting again?” 

“An old friend. Just… kinda walk around for a bit. Please?” 

“Why can’t I just sit with you two?” 

“Vernon we’ve been over this. I have things to catch up on with her. Seungcheol doesn’t want me to be alone because he’s scared I’ve still got some electricity left in me.” 

“Well then maybe I shouldn’t leave you alone either!” 

“Vernon!” I begged. “Okay, I know this is a big favour to ask and I really appreciate that you’re doing it. Please can you just stay out of the restaurant until I call you back to pick me up?” 

“What if my phone dies while I’m out?” 

“I doubt we’ll be that long, but if it does, just start walking towards the restaurant. Then you can call me outside.” 

“Well, what if I get hungry?” 

“Vernon!” 

I watched his back get farther and farther away before turning and entering the restaurant. I was early. 

***

“So I did some research,” Sungkyung told me on our way to the restaurant. 

“Uh-oh. Ahn Sungkyung, what did you discover, and at what price?” 

“Relax. This isn’t even the deepest I’ve ever researched on anyone.” 

I sighed in relief. “Okay. Tell me.” 

“I found the girl Kim Jongin is telepathically linked to.” 

I stopped walking. “You… you more than just lost me, you just threw me into a deep, dark forest. What?” 

“Kim Jongin. Stage name Kai, EXO member. Struck by lightning two Aprils ago.” 

“Oh yeah. I remember that.” 

“Park Jinhee. Also called Jenny. Lives in the USA. A tumblr-famous Internet blogger. Formerly a vocal EXO anti-fan, until she also got struck two Aprils ago. The very same day. Despite the time zone differences, it was the very same time. After that, she stopped trash talking EXO, and has even been seen defending them on certain occasions. My source for that one is an anti-Park Jinhee site. Her name matches up to the name Kai yelled out when he collapsed on stage. See that part doesn’t make sense, mainly because of the explanation Kai gave about that. But I’m going to crack this, I promise.” 

“I swear, Sungkyung, the secret service needs your talent.” 

“All of this, of course, if we were to hypothetically believe the telepathic link theory were true.” 

“Of course,” I nodded exaggeratedly. 

We neared the restaurant. “Okay, we’re here,” I announced. 

“There are only two tables occupied,” Sungkyu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter